Active Vs Passive 3D experience - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By danlshane
  • 1 Post By ki11abee
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-07-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Active Vs Passive 3D experience

I am sure there are several posts/discussions on its comparison overall but this specific post is to just see if anyone has experienced personally both forms & share your own experience on below
-Do you see a visible Quality difference between these two?
-Any compromise in Pop-outs ?
-Which one you like personally (Pls ignore the fact that Passive 3D glasses are cheaper)
-Any eye strain/dizziness or advantage in Passive or Active?

thanks in advance
Newuser2018 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
danlshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Okolona, KY
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018 View Post
I am sure there are several posts/discussions on its comparison overall but this specific post is to just see if anyone has experienced personally both forms & share your own experience on below
-Do you see a visible Quality difference between these two?
-Any compromise in Pop-outs ?
-Which one you like personally (Pls ignore the fact that Passive 3D glasses are cheaper)
-Any eye strain/dizziness or advantage in Passive or Active?

thanks in advance
This has indeed been discussed often in various threads. Because 3D is experienced so differently by different people it is hard to make a blanket statement favoring one technology over the other. Each has advantages and disadvantages, and again these can vary based on each person's vision, brain, and household environment.

Active 3D requires more things working correctly at the same time -- viewing angle, line-of-sight between glasses and emitter (if using IR - Bluetooth doesn't require that), fresh batteries (rechargeable or disposable), and a brain that is not sensitive to potential flicker. Active 3D also tends to be a bit darker and requires the TV contrast and brightness to be adjusted to compensate.

Passive 3D can also lose effectiveness depending on viewing angle; in fact, it may suffer more from this one drawback than active does. However, in the sweet spot passive is practically unbeatable on a 4K TV.

That last point is based on my personal experience having owned both active and passive 3D HDTV sets of various brands. Passive 3D on a 1080p HD TV loses half of its resolution, whereas active displays full HD. On a 4K passive TV a 3D Blu-ray provides full HD thanks to extra number of lines of resolution available.

I don't consciously notice screen flicker while watching active 3D, but after a couple of hours I do begin to experience fatigue that I can only attribute to my eyes and brain having to process the alternate signals subliminally. YMMV. I can watch passive 3D all day long and never feel that weariness. Nor do I worry about doggies walking in front of the emitter or batteries giving out halfway thru a program.

All told, your question is mostly academic these days. The only way to purchase a new 3D display today is on a projector, and that will always be active technology.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
danlshane is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 01-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I prefer passive 3D (on a 4K TV, so you get full 1080p resolution from Blu-ray discs.) However, active doesn't particular bother me, especially on my projector.
Steve P. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 01-08-2019, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
d james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I prefer active dlplink as it has zero crosstalk,and full resolution and no ir needed, it projects a white light that syncs the 3d and you don't need to be positioned perfectly in middle of tv or screen like passive, which is important because as you watch you tend be reposition in seat and this can cause blurry picture. If i were getting a projector it's get dlplink, if tv, oled4k passive as the picture is amazing
d james is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 AM
Senior Member
 
danlshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Okolona, KY
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post
you don't need to be positioned perfectly in middle of tv or screen like passive, which is important because as you watch you tend be reposition in seat and this can cause blurry picture.
That might be true on some older passive TVs, but I would be careful about overstating that possible issue. I have owned three different passive sets (including one OLED), an there was never a problem with blur or cross-talk with lateral movement or seating. Only when standing up and putting my eye-line vertically higher than the top of the TV did I ever experience that, and active 3D is superior in that respect.

Sitting at an extreme left or right angle to my older Vizio HD passive did provide a dimmer picture, but not a blurry one. The later non-OLED sets used IPS screens to overcome that problem. But I have never seen even that sort of issue by simply shifting in my seat -- that seems an exaggeration to me.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
danlshane is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
d james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
That might be true on some older passive TVs, but I would be careful about overstating that possible issue. I have owned three different passive sets (including one OLED), an there was never a problem with blur or cross-talk with lateral movement or seating. Only when standing up and putting my eye-line vertically higher than the top of the TV did I ever experience that, and active 3D is superior in that respect.

Sitting at an extreme left or right angle to my older Vizio HD passive did provide a dimmer picture, but not a blurry one. The later non-OLED sets used IPS screens to overcome that problem. But I have never seen even that sort of issue by simply shifting in my seat -- that seems an exaggeration to me.
I agree with everything you've said, i should have elaborated further as you did. When i was saying shifting, i wasn't clear, but I was thinking about shifting up and down when repositioning, like reclining the seat back on a lazy boy, which always distorts the picture since I've changed my head position low enough to not be center. When i explain this to some visitors watching a movie they don't always get that, sometimes even taking glasses off and just stop watching and go on their phone or something. sometimes they will lay down sideways and try to watch with the glasses and then complain it doesn't look right, talk about a headache. I think some people will use any excuse to complain about something, even though the3d has come a long way to give us a better 3d experience
d james is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Member
 
PCummins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post
I agree with everything you've said, i should have elaborated further as you did. When i was saying shifting, i wasn't clear, but I was thinking about shifting up and down when repositioning, like reclining the seat back on a lazy boy, which always distorts the picture since I've changed my head position low enough to not be center.
That's pretty much what I found, since you adjust from a sitting to reclining position this can impact the 3D effect enough to cause crosstalk to occur. Hence getting a tilting wall bracket resolves that so you can adjust the TV so it works best in both sitting/reclining positions. Never had any issues for seeing 3D on a left/right alignment, only vertical.
PCummins is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018 View Post
-Do you see a visible Quality difference between these two?
-Any compromise in Pop-outs ?
-Which one you like personally (Pls ignore the fact that Passive 3D glasses are cheaper)
-Any eye strain/dizziness or advantage in Passive or Active?
1080p passive sets are half resolution, which would be a big reduction in quality (4K sets don't have this problem). The second biggest quality difference would be the general picture quality anyway, like contrast and blacks. That's why I like the OLEDs over LCDs.

I don't see how popouts are going to differ between active and passive.

Personally I like passive. No batteries needed. No recharging/cables. Lighter/less bulky. And a MUCH bigger selection. I have a case of about a dozen different passive glasses, so that nobody has to complain about the type. I have adult sizes and kid sizes. For those people wearing prescription glasses, I have "overglasses" that go over them and "clip-ons" that clip to them. I have "desert goggle style" that block out peripheral vision so you only see through the lenses--these are actually kind of nice for daytime watching. My favorite though are "aviators" because they are very thin, very light, and stylish too (I know, who cares about style, haha). But they are so thin and light I forget I am wearing glasses. One side benefit with passive glasses is that if you go to the movies you can bring your nice glasses instead of using the crappy free ones (for "RealD 3D" theaters, which is the most common).

I can't imagine why there would be eyestrain on passive. I've noticed flicker in the active setup when it was demo'd at Costco and at Magnolia--I suppose that might lead to eyestrain eventually but the demos were short. That was old tech though, 1080p days, and I hear active is much better now.
Actionable Mango is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 02-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
ki11abee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
This has indeed been discussed often in various threads. Because 3D is experienced so differently by different people it is hard to make a blanket statement favoring one technology over the other. Each has advantages and disadvantages, and again these can vary based on each person's vision, brain, and household environment.

Active 3D requires more things working correctly at the same time -- viewing angle, line-of-sight between glasses and emitter (if using IR - Bluetooth doesn't require that), fresh batteries (rechargeable or disposable), and a brain that is not sensitive to potential flicker. Active 3D also tends to be a bit darker and requires the TV contrast and brightness to be adjusted to compensate.

Passive 3D can also lose effectiveness depending on viewing angle; in fact, it may suffer more from this one drawback than active does. However, in the sweet spot passive is practically unbeatable on a 4K TV.

That last point is based on my personal experience having owned both active and passive 3D HDTV sets of various brands. Passive 3D on a 1080p HD TV loses half of its resolution, whereas active displays full HD. On a 4K passive TV a 3D Blu-ray provides full HD thanks to extra number of lines of resolution available.

I don't consciously notice screen flicker while watching active 3D, but after a couple of hours I do begin to experience fatigue that I can only attribute to my eyes and brain having to process the alternate signals subliminally. YMMV. I can watch passive 3D all day long and never feel that weariness. Nor do I worry about doggies walking in front of the emitter or batteries giving out halfway thru a program.

All told, your question is mostly academic these days. The only way to purchase a new 3D display today is on a projector, and that will always be active technology.
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info
wildbill722 likes this.

Samsung 3D UN65H7150;Yamaha RX-A2070 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X
Def Tech L&R Promonitor 1000 Procenter 2000 Promonitor 800 ceilings & surrounds
SVS PC12 Plus-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray;Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony Elite;PlayStation 4
AC Infinity Aircom T8;MediaLight Quad Bias Light
ki11abee is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 03-17-2019, 02:19 PM
Newbie
 
STABLAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Stablax

Have VT60 with active and a C6 with passive. Both look good , but the active is darker.
STABLAX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off