Dolbly Cinema 3D... where (bay area) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-03-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dolbly Cinema 3D... where (bay area)

I just learned that Dolby Cinema 3D has this "wavelength multiplex visualization" passive 3D method.
... and i think i have never seen this. Always only circular polarization (passive 3D) in theaters.

So. i was thinking, hey, this should be a good opportunity to watch Avengers Endgame in theaters to see how Dolby Cinema 3D looks like. Only then to discover that i can not find a single cinema in he San Francisco Bay area where it explicitly says Dolby Cinema 3D.

Mind you, there are lots of Dolby Cinema in the bay area showing Avengers Endgame in 3D, but 3D is never mentioned. I think i saw one other thread here on AVSforum where someone claimed he called up Doby Cinemas in his area and even though it wasn't marketed, one of them was actually saying they where showing 3D in the Dolvy Cinema... But maybe this is also just wishfull thinking on my behalf, because i can't find that thread anymore *sigh*. And it kinda would be highly illogical given how the IMAX 3D and Real3D is marketed on the web pages of the movie theaters.

So. What gives ? Am i out of luck ? And if so, any reasoning why ? Glasses too expensive, so theaters prefer cheap circular polarization glasses ? Dolby too late in the game,... ?

Btw: If i can't find a Dolby Cinema 3D, but i am 3D junkie, is there any 3D difference in the Real3D and IMAX 3D theaters ? If i remember correctly (haven't been in IMAX 3D for a long time), thats just circular polariation too, isn'g it ?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-29-2019, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 47
From what I recall reading somewhere a couple years ago, while Dolby Cinema is capable of that 3D tech., it is rare to find one actually showing in 3D.

As far as real vs IMAX 3D, in my experience there is no comparison, IMAX is far superior, except if you have a cinema that is not well maintained and they do not properly calibrate, (once when I was out of town went to an IMAX that was a mess.) if you have more than one IMAX in your area, someone on this forum should be able to recommend. ...IMAX uses two projectors, one for each eye when showing 3D.

Sadly, it is IMAX that decided to limit 3D showtimes, (about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs ago), so, it will depend on your IMAX as to whether a 3D film will be shown in 2D and/or 3D. I find this helpful, it is frequently updated, so keep checking up to a film’s release date: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...leased_in_IMAX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page