Can ghosting/crosstalk develop with age on a 3DTV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Steve P.
  • 1 Post By danlshane

post #1 of 9 Old 05-11-2019, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can ghosting/crosstalk develop with age on a 3DTV?

was wondering if it is possible for a 3Dtv to develop crosstalk over time?

I purchased an LG 65UF8500, which is passive 3D. When I first got it the 3D was great with little to no crosstalk besides the lower portion of the screen which I chalked it up to the viewing angle.

I just watched Mr. Peabody and Sherman which has some really bad crosstalk. I thought it was just the disc. I read views and all are praising the great 3D on the disc with no mention of crosstalk. I decided to go back to other 3D blu-rays that I knew has good 3D. The first was Jurassic World. A few scenes showed some crosstalk which at times look like halos around the actors heads that I don't remember seeing before.

I decided to reset the 3D settings on the tv. It looked like it did improve somewhat, but it was still present. Thought it might be my Philips 4k player so I tried it on my PS4, no difference. I did a factory reset with no improvement.

Could it be the 3D filter has just gone bad? I believe I still have it under warranty from LG through their extended plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork1985 View Post
was wondering if it is possible for a 3Dtv to develop crosstalk over time?

I purchased an LG 65UF8500, which is passive 3D. When I first got it the 3D was great with little to no crosstalk besides the lower portion of the screen which I chalked it up to the viewing angle.

Could it be the 3D filter has just gone bad? I believe I still have it under warranty from LG through their extended plan.
I suppose it might be possible, though I have that model and it's still going strong. Just watched CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER last night, and it looked great.

Don't be surprised if LG tells you they can't fix your 3D TV due to parts being no longer available.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Did you move your TV or seating at some point? This would be my first guess. Remember, with passive 3-D sets, you have to be looking directly at the screen at eye level, not up. High wall mounting is the enemy of passive 3-D (but Chiropractors love it.)
danlshane and Car67 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
High wall mounting is the enemy of passive 3-D (but Chiropractors love it.)
High wall mounting is the enemy of any quality video viewing (but decorators love it -- don't ask me why).
Steve P. likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I haven't moved the TV and it still sits on the original TV stand. Planning on finally wall mounting. Nothing has changed in the room. I when tried moving around the room to see if there is an improvement, but nothing. Last night I popped in a Disney 3D movie, which I know has never been an issue and still seen some crosstalk.

Good to know that some with the same model is still working, wondering if it might have been a firmware update. I'm afraid of contacting LG as they may just say there is nothing wrong or they can't fix it due not having the parts.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
You would need to run a 3D crosstalk image test (such as
or
) to see if the FPR polariser is misaligned after putting the TV into 3D OU/SBS mode. The only issue is you won't know if that's the case from new or not, but if the majority of the screen is misaligned (areas of opposite colour obviously bleeding through in all positions) you could argue the case on that. In general it should be all Black or White depending on what eye you use in your accepted sitting position, or if moving around there is not a significant image change except at extreme angles (ie low/high positions). From what I've read LG doesn't have many 3D panels left (if any) so not sure what the chances are of getting a new panel. Wall mounting definitely will need an adjustable TV bracket to enable you to tilt the TV to the optimal 2D/3D viewing position.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-21-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork1985 View Post
I haven't moved the TV and it still sits on the original TV stand. Planning on finally wall mounting. Nothing has changed in the room. I when tried moving around the room to see if there is an improvement, but nothing. Last night I popped in a Disney 3D movie, which I know has never been an issue and still seen some crosstalk.

Good to know that some with the same model is still working, wondering if it might have been a firmware update. I'm afraid of contacting LG as they may just say there is nothing wrong or they can't fix it due not having the parts.
I was a big believer that all 3D passive glasses are created equal. But over time I have found that not to be 100% correct. I have several pairs that show crosstalk. Also moving the 3D setting to anything other than "auto" creates crosstalk depending on the scene. The only other thing I can think of is the TV angle might have changed...maybe tilting back or forward more?

I have never heard of 3D filters degrading with time. And I sure hope they don't as both my TV's are passive.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also have a 65uh8500 and I can say that I can't remember any notable crosstalk on Mr Peabody/Sherman but I can say that when I bought this Tv new at best buy, I had to go through two different sets because my first one had crosstalk on the top portion or bottom portion depending on the angle. I played around with angles , 3d settings , what have you, but unless I was in some absolutely perfect position right in the middle of the screen , There was really bad crosstalk.

I've read so many articles and posts on this but I can speak from experience that with the second set I got , you have a good three feet of vertical "wiggle room" from eye level before you see the top/bottom ghosting. I just got myself a used 65ef9500 because it was a steal but sadly, it has the EXACT same issues as the first 65ub8500 I returned.

I haven't been able to find one good LG tech or article that has been able to explain what causes this. Pretty much most people returned the entire set, got a new one, and problem solved. But those of us who have tvs now or get used ones, what do we do? I actually came to this forum in hopes to find someone who had this and isolated the issue.

I've had three panels installed from LG through their extended warranty on my 65uh8500 within the last two months (good news for you, they have the parts!)because of a banding issue and not one of them have had the ghosting issues that first tv had so I'm starting to believe it's the main board.

Perhaps some capacitors burned out or the soldiering wears out over time or maybe there was a power spike that fries the portion of the board which controls the 3d?? Is that possible?? Or does any issue with the crosstalk have to be panel related?? Can anyone here help who's had success with replacing components ??
post #9 of 9 Old 09-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a Samsung UN55C8000XF from 2010. It has active glasses and it has certainly developed issues over time.

I used to work at a 3D Conversion studio, so I used the 3D every day for a while. Left that career and didnt use the 3D functionality at all for a few years. The wife tried to watch Tangled in 3D recently and said it gave her a headache.

I cant be certain if it was crosstalk or some other display or glasses issue, but I know the TV worked like a charm when it was new. My 0.02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page