LG 55LW5600 vs Vizio M551d-a2r - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-02-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG 55LW5600 vs Vizio M551d-a2r

I currently have a Vizio 42" Passive 3dtv. It is E3D420VX. I have had it since 2011 and it works great with no issues at all. However I want a bigger TV and found that 3d is no longer something you can seem to buy new for a good price.

I have been looking at used TV markets and found 2 models that fit my size and budget.

I can buy a LG 55LW5600 for $288 or a Vizio M551d-a2r for $325. Both are Passive 3d, 55", and LED backlit. The Vizio is 2013 while the LG is 2011.

My question is which is the better buy. Better picture and 3d. Also I game quite a bit and input latency is very important to me. I have no issues in Game Mode on my current 42" Vizio and based on forum searches it seems that the LG has bad latency but those posts were from several years ago. Has the LG latency improved with fw updates.

The LG is cheaper and is only 30 or so minutes away. The Vizio is more expensive and would be a 2 hr drive one way. Right now I am leaning towards the Vizio but wondered what owners of both models might have to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-04-2019, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by terintamel View Post
My question is which is the better buy. Better picture and 3d. Also I game quite a bit and input latency is very important to me. I have no issues in Game Mode on my current 42" Vizio and based on forum searches it seems that the LG has bad latency but those posts were from several years ago. Has the LG latency improved with fw updates.

The LG is cheaper and is only 30 or so minutes away. The Vizio is more expensive and would be a 2 hr drive one way. Right now I am leaning towards the Vizio but wondered what owners of both models might have to say.
Can't say I own either TV but can provide some observations:

If the LW5600 is using the same edge lit backlight as the LB6500 (with an array of LED's for the backlight) this causes some shadowing where the LED's are positioned which is noticeable on a pure white background where it controls the "zones". (There's also been some cases of lenses falling off the backlight causing bright spots on some LG models using this tech). Lag apparently is pretty bad on the LG until an input is labelled Game/PC mode which reduces processing (see here) as well as auto-brightness adjustment from memory on my 42LB6500 (which also makes gaming quite difficult if the brightness is constantly adjusting).

I'd recommend checking both TV's out as my LB has some significant quality issues (which were "OK" back in 2014 prior to QLED/SUHD/OLED being commonplace) which means the contrast & quality is pretty poor compared to today's modern TV's. The Vizio looks like it has a superior LED edge backlight (which is on the edges vs as an array) and faster refresh rates over the LG; my expectation is it would be a better buy being newer and with better technology in it and should have retained trouble-free Game mode from your earlier Vizio vs having to coerce the LG.

I'd still recommend keeping an eye out for a 4K Passive TV (LG, Vizio, Toshiba, some Sony's) with the 2016 LG models being worth trying to pick up (particularly either a G6, E6 or C6 OLED - be wary of burn-in) or the 55UH8500, otherwise a 4K 2015/2014 model would be worthwhile as well, the step up to 4K Passive 3D significantly reduces aliasing introduced from the FHD 3D halving the resolution.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-04-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for your input. After looking at both TVs I decided to go with the Vizio. It was 2 years newer, had a more pleasing design with the small bezel, and much lower latency for gaming. I also had good luck with my current 8 yr old E3D420VX in regards to reliability and seemed to find less things online about faulty or broken M551s vs the LG model. The used Vizio I found is in great condition with no dead spots or light bleed I could find.

I was looking for 4K passive TVs but I could not either find any or the ones I found were too far out of my price range. Also we sit around 9-10ft away from the TV so I am not sure a 4K TV would give me that much improved picture at that view distance to warrant paying the prices I found.

I must not be a videophile as I really cannot see or seem to notice the resolution drop when viewing 3d on a 1080p passive TV. My hope is that before I really need 4K or a much larger TV that 3d TVs make a comeback and starts being produced again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-04-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by terintamel View Post
Thanks for your input. After looking at both TVs I decided to go with the Vizio. It was 2 years newer, had a more pleasing design with the small bezel, and much lower latency for gaming. I also had good luck with my current 8 yr old E3D420VX in regards to reliability and seemed to find less things online about faulty or broken M551s vs the LG model. The used Vizio I found is in great condition with no dead spots or light bleed I could find.

I was looking for 4K passive TVs but I could not either find any or the ones I found were too far out of my price range. Also we sit around 9-10ft away from the TV so I am not sure a 4K TV would give me that much improved picture at that view distance to warrant paying the prices I found. I must not be a videophile as I really cannot see or seem to notice the resolution drop when viewing 3d on a 1080p passive TV. My hope is that before I really need 4K or a much larger TV that 3d TVs make a comeback and starts being produced again.
It looked like the Vizio was a better choice overall specification wise when I quickly checked over them. Yes, unfortunately the 4K Passive 3D's are quite heavily in demand by a subset of 3D fans (ie, those who prefer Passive 3D) but I expect we should see some come onto the market in the coming years as people upgrade. My experiences with the 42LB6500 shows a lot of aliasing of the 3D image when there's a large difference in depth of the 3D image shown (so edges can show up fairly jaggedly where the half resolution is pretty obvious). I'd expect sitting further back makes it less obvious, but since then I upgraded to 4K Passive 3D so it's no longer an issue.

It's hard to know if 3D will make a comeback at this point in time, Passive 4K 3D (on 8K panels) would be possibly as good as it gets since not much is mastered in true 4K at the moment (would take a few years to get up to speed I expect) but with any luck there may be some bespoke 3D manufacturers who are still keen if there's a large content push (ie Avatar 2+) that can re-ignite interest in 3D again. These days with HDMI 2.1 coming out it'll take a while before things settle down again specification wise but not sure if 3D is going to be part of that if there's no significant content to push panels that support it (maybe Active 3D utilising the faster refresh rates HDMI 2.1 supports, but unlikely to see Passive 3D since it needs specific panel filters & support).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page