PSVR and Blu-ray 3D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-24-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
PSVR and Blu-ray 3D

I'm thinking of picking up the PSVR on a black friday deal. Has anyone tried 3D Blu-rays on it? Is it any good? Does it provide the illusion of watching 3D on a large screen a movie theater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2019, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen View Post
I'm thinking of picking up the PSVR on a black friday deal. Has anyone tried 3D Blu-rays on it? Is it any good? Does it provide the illusion of watching 3D on a large screen a movie theater?
I tried it briefly, it generally presents as a non-immersive window positioned in front of you (though you can adjust from say, Medium to Large to make it more immersive) however at a significantly lower resolution. I found it generally nowhere near as good as the 3D on my TV due to the lack of available resolution so never really got the feeling I was watching in a theatre. Watching on a TV (Active or preferably Passive 4K) or projector still is the best way to experience 3D Blu-Ray in my opinion. If you're getting the PSVR for gaming then it's a bit of a optional value addon but I personally wouldn't get a PSVR solely for 3D Blu-Ray if that's what you're thinking. Best to maybe get a quick demo in before making up your mind, VR isn't for everyone (as you need to experience it to know if you get motion sick or can't handle the immersion). Hopefully some others can put their opinions in as my experience was pretty limited admittedly.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-27-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
I tried it briefly, it generally presents as a non-immersive window positioned in front of you (though you can adjust from say, Medium to Large to make it more immersive) however at a significantly lower resolution. I found it generally nowhere near as good as the 3D on my TV due to the lack of available resolution so never really got the feeling I was watching in a theatre. Watching on a TV (Active or preferably Passive 4K) or projector still is the best way to experience 3D Blu-Ray in my opinion. If you're getting the PSVR for gaming then it's a bit of a optional value addon but I personally wouldn't get a PSVR solely for 3D Blu-Ray if that's what you're thinking. Best to maybe get a quick demo in before making up your mind, VR isn't for everyone (as you need to experience it to know if you get motion sick or can't handle the immersion). Hopefully some others can put their opinions in as my experience was pretty limited admittedly.
Thanks for your impression.

I was hoping it would provide the immersion of a theater. That's the one thing I miss from my 65" passive display. While it wouldn't be for regular use because it excludes the family it might be fun on occasion.

Would the resolution issue be resolved by a better headset or is it a limitation of the 1080 source projecting to a virtual 30+ ft screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-29-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your impression. I was hoping it would provide the immersion of a theater. That's the one thing I miss from my 65" passive display. While it wouldn't be for regular use because it excludes the family it might be fun on occasion. Would the resolution issue be resolved by a better headset or is it a limitation of the 1080 source projecting to a virtual 30+ ft screen?
The PSVR's designed for immersion so the FHD panel can't be fully utilised in order to support the Cinematic Mode on the PSVR for watching movies/standard PS4 output so from memory you lose maybe 30% (maybe more?) to black borders on Medium mode and Large starts to distort (to support VR immersion, feels like the screen is right in front of you so you move the headset to see it all). On Medium I'd estimate you'd be lucky to be getting 720p resolution but tends to be pretty grainy and low resolution IMHO. I've never been successful in tricking my mind into thinking it's like an actual theatre immersion wise (though with VR it's a different matter, that definitely is immersive). A demo is recommended if possible as you should be able to easily test the Cinematic Mode (as the PS4 displays this before launching a game) along with any preferred 3D Blu-Ray to see what you think. If you are able to try some games like Rez, AstroBot, Beat Sabre or FarPoint (anything that won't kick in motion sickness) it's worth it as well.

Resolution issues can probably be resolved if Sony uses 4K single panel or twin high-resolution panels in the PSVR2, the issue is it's a trade off of the central viewable area resolution vs immersion (so a higher resolution HMD like the Oculus Quest or upcoming PSVR2 should help reduce that resolution loss). It is however difficult (at least for me) to reconcile that the screen is "in front" vs "close up" so it always feels like a screen directly in front of my eyes at least at this point in time.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
The PSVR's designed for immersion so the FHD panel can't be fully utilised in order to support the Cinematic Mode on the PSVR for watching movies/standard PS4 output so from memory you lose maybe 30% (maybe more?) to black borders on Medium mode and Large starts to distort (to support VR immersion, feels like the screen is right in front of you so you move the headset to see it all). On Medium I'd estimate you'd be lucky to be getting 720p resolution but tends to be pretty grainy and low resolution IMHO. I've never been successful in tricking my mind into thinking it's like an actual theatre immersion wise (though with VR it's a different matter, that definitely is immersive). A demo is recommended if possible as you should be able to easily test the Cinematic Mode (as the PS4 displays this before launching a game) along with any preferred 3D Blu-Ray to see what you think. If you are able to try some games like Rez, AstroBot, Beat Sabre or FarPoint (anything that won't kick in motion sickness) it's worth it as well.

Resolution issues can probably be resolved if Sony uses 4K single panel or twin high-resolution panels in the PSVR2, the issue is it's a trade off of the central viewable area resolution vs immersion (so a higher resolution HMD like the Oculus Quest or upcoming PSVR2 should help reduce that resolution loss). It is however difficult (at least for me) to reconcile that the screen is "in front" vs "close up" so it always feels like a screen directly in front of my eyes at least at this point in time.
I pulled trigger on sale bundled with accessories and a couple games. Should be fun and cheap way to dip toe in on VR. I did get a bit motion sick the one time I tried VR though that was on a theme park ride with a lot of herky-jerky video that didn't sync well with the motion of the ride.

I'll keep an eye on Rift or PSVR2 for Blu-ray 3D playback.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-29-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I pulled trigger on sale bundled with accessories and a couple games. Should be fun and cheap way to dip toe in on VR. I did get a bit motion sick the one time I tried VR though that was on a theme park ride with a lot of herky-jerky video that didn't sync well with the motion of the ride. I'll keep an eye on Rift or PSVR2 for Blu-ray 3D playback. Thanks again.
Sure not a problem - the PSVR's probably the cheapest/best way to get into VR without costing too much overall if you have a PS4 already (it's great with Beat Sabre & the PS Move controllers, still to try out some other games like Moss). You'd be able to try out the 3D Blu-Ray of course so be interesting to hear how you go. Motion sickness can be mitigated/avoided by playing "slower" games (ie not FPS/driving games) so you can sense when you're getting sick. I'm keen to get a PS5 & PSVR2 when they come out as it sounds like it'll be a lot better than the current generation VR and the increase in resolution is badly needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page