I love 3D but is it too late? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By dgk
  • 1 Post By Roussi
  • 1 Post By dgk
  • 2 Post By dgk

post #1 of 13 Old 12-16-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I love 3D but is it too late?

I have a decent Vizio 4k 70" that does not do 3D, but I've always liked 3D and mostly only go to the movies if a 3D movie is playing. So, I figured maybe I could cobble together a projector and screen and drop them into place if I want to watch a 3D movie at home. I don't have a dedicated home theater, just a living room with a good Yamaha receiver handling the switching chores between a Samsung 4K BR player and cable TV and PC. That PC is not going to be a 3D source I'm thinking. Too old. Decent for Borderlands 2 but not much more.

So, can I latch onto some decent new or used projector that will do 3D and a decent screen and player? Maybe $1000? It's sort of a lot to spend for just some 3D movies but those seem to be available on amazon and ebay, although I sort of hoped to find someone selling a collection and didn't see that.

Active? Passive? I don't know. Any ideas accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-16-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 2307
I’m sure you can find quite a few decent 1080p projectors that do 3d well. I used to have an Optoma HD141x and even that did great 3d, and that was a good 5 or 6 years ago.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-16-2019, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Optoma HD243X 1080p Projector for Movies and Gaming, Super Bright 3300 Lumens, Long 12000h Lamp Life, 3D Support, Easy Setup with Zoom and Keystone Adjustment. - $484 - that's in the budget.

What does 3D support mean?

Or maybe this: Epson Home Cinema 2040 1080p 3D 3LCD Home Theater Projector - $800!
CopyRon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-17-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hi! Ask here for better advice and choice....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-000-usd-msrp/

About Epson 3lcd avoid the hc2040/2045 they are old and low contrast, the new/recent models are hc2100/2150 triple native contrast, hc3100/3700, or the new 4k hdr (1/2uhd) hc3200/3800, you can find official threads in that section....

For dlp the choice is larger for fhd or uhd, however for 3d you need brightness, 3000lm dlps have more rainbow effect and worse colors in high power mode, I'd prefer 2000lm models with rgbrgb color wheel on a smaller screen.

Almost all home cinema projectors have 3d support, it means they work with a standard 3d bd player, or digital player capable of reading bd iso on hd and output frame packing 3d, the best 3d output for resolution, but they are also compatible with sbs and tab formats. Dlp and 3lcd use different kind of active glasses, dlp projectors need dlp link ir, while 3lcd need rf glasses.

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, Sony BDP-S6700, 3D RF glasses: Epson, Samsung, Xpand. Fuji FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max, Elephone P11 3D, 3D Tablet F892B

Last edited by Car67; 12-17-2019 at 05:13 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-17-2019, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
You don't need a new player, the Samsung should be able to do 3D. Even if the AVR is too old, it has a second HDMI you connect directly to the projector.

Passive projector 3D is difficult; active is typical, in two versions - DLP-link (BenQ, Optoma) or LCD RF 3D (Epson). DLP is considered to have less to none crosstalk.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-17-2019, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Maybe I have another option. I have access to a theater in my (senior) community where we put on shows, usually tribute bands. I'm often the soundman (Soundcraft GB4-32). We also use it to show movies, with an Optoma WU515T projector. We have two bluray players and a cable box that feed into a 4*4 matrix that outputs to the Optoma and two Sharp projectors. The Optoma hits the main screen (not huge, maybe 160) and the Sharps hit small side screens, the fourth output goes to the booth monitor. Those Sharps are not used often.

According to Optoma, that projector has full 3D. But what about the rest of that setup? I know the run from the matrix to the projectors is over CAT6 and goes through some kind of baluns. I was there during the installation and use the equipment but there's a fair amount of conversion going on and I don't know if the 3D will make it to the Optoma. But if it does, I suspect I could get a few pairs of glasses and start a small 3D viewing group. We do have a license to show movies.

I'm guessing the BR players will handle 3D, but if not, there's a fourth HDMI input into the matrix I can use.

Do you think the setup will allow 3D to get to that Optoma? If not, I could grab a ladder and connect a player directly to the Optoma although that would not work as a permanent solution - for one thing, the audio needs to run through the Soundcraft. How close does someone need to sit to the project for the link to work? The projector is located maybe 20 feet from the screen so anyone using the glasses should be close enough?

I suppose I can just order two pairs of glasses and a 3D disk and give it a shot. That would be a very nice home theater setup, since the theater is a short block from my house. It won't be as comfortable as my living room, but it will be much cheaper.

Last edited by dgk; 12-17-2019 at 08:38 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-18-2019, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Just stop by at a Big Lots store if you have one near by, get a $5 3D disk and try it. You don't need the glasses - if you see a blurred/ghosted/doubled image, that's the 3D working. Then you can order the glasses (DLP link ones; these will work without additional equipment and whatever the distance to screen or projector is).

If it does not work because of the cable, then you have the option of wireless HDMI, but it is expensive (still less than a cheap projector) and I understand finicky with the distance from the emitter.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Last edited by Roussi; 12-18-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-18-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk View Post
I'm guessing the BR players will handle 3D, but if not, there's a fourth HDMI input into the matrix I can use.
Not all players do 3d, it has to include the feature and that is often one that is only on the higher end units. If they are older players, they may not include it. Check the menus for 3d settings.

I agree on starting at Big Lots! They have been carrying close-out 3d discs at $5 for a long time, and the selection changes often.

Projection is the last bastion for 3d fans.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-18-2019, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

I went to a newly opened Dollar General store near me and found 3 3D BR disks. Then I went to the theater, discovered that there was an issue communicating with the Optoma, and tracked down the power switch that had been shut off to part of the sound booth when someone was doing some maintenance. I got it all on, and apparently neither BR player does 3D. One is an all region Sony (BDP-S1500), the other a much older Sony that I didn't want to move since it's held in place by dust. I got a message that said that 3D videos required a 3D player and display).

So next step is to locate a 3d player. No, the next step is to contact the guy who installed the projector and matrix and does most of our AV stuff. Just texted him. I'll wait to hear back before checking the classifieds.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-20-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

I heard from our tech guy. The matrix won't pass 3D but the balun shouldn't be a problem. He's going to doublecheck the capabilities of the projector we have. He's not sure about the screen being ok, but I think only passive 3D needs a special screen. The matrix can be bypassed by temporarily unplugging the balun from the matrix and just plugging the HTMI output from the player into the balun. I'll have to check about audio since each of the two BR players have a box that gets the analog audio (it's an analog soundboard) from the HDMI passing through it. I'm pretty sure that I'll need to get another of those boxes since no BR player that has 3D is going to have analog audio outputs.

And it turns out that my cousin has a BR player that handles 3D so I'll see if I can borrow it just for a test.
CopyRon likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Probably will not need another audio "box", as the player will have two HDMIs out; you can run a separate HDMI cable to one of the existing boxes for the audio.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-03-2020, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Huge success. I borrowed my cousin's 3D bluray player, plugged it directly into the balun, started it up, and the projector popped up a message that it had detected 3D and should it turn it on. I answered yes, and sure enough, the movie played nice and fuzzy. So now I just have to buy a player (if I can find one) and a few pairs of glasses, and some audio adapter, and we're maybe in business.

Edit: ordered a "renewed" Sony, same model as my cousin had, a coax digital to analog audio converter, two pairs of glasses, and a 2 to 1 hdmi switcher (since I don't want to keep plugging in hdmi cables to the balun). Hopefully it all works and I have a cheap but decent 3D system. It really is cheaper if you don't have to buy a projector and screen. I can't possibly fit this all into the rack at the theater, but it should be easy enough to hook it up when we have a 3D night at the movies.

Last edited by dgk; 01-03-2020 at 02:29 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-10-2020, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

It's done. All technical problems seem solved, I put in some switches to avoid having to plug/unplug HDMI and audio cables, neatly bypassed the matrix, and acquired some decent DLP glasses. I wasn't sure how well the 3D would work on the setup but was very pleasantly surprised, it's really stunning.

I have 4 3D movies now, and have at least 10 on the way from Amazon and Ebay. None over $10. And I'll keep checking the dollar stores but I seem to have gotten all the ones at any nearby stores.

Thanks for the help. Now I just have to deal with the glasses since it's our community's theater. I showed a movie last weekend and before the movie I asked how many people would be interested in watching 3D movies and quite a few said yes. I think I'll get a few more glasses for demo purposes but people are probably going to have to bring their own. The board is unlikely to spring for getting 25 or more, and between batteries and recharging them I suspect the only way it will work is for people to have their own. I'm sure not willing to keep them going.
CopyRon and Roussi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page