1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roussi

post #1 of 5 Old 12-30-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3D movies on a VR hedset.

I'm planning to get a VR headset, but I currently use a glyph to watch 3D movies using the frame packing method.
I wanted to know if anyone knows if VR can play frame packed movies, or if it can't play it then what is what is the reason?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deh4 View Post
I'm planning to get a VR headset, but I currently use a glyph to watch 3D movies using the frame packing method.
I wanted to know if anyone knows if VR can play frame packed movies, or if it can't play it then what is what is the reason?

Thanks.
glyph? Did you mean anaglyph, aka red/blue glasses?

It depends!

I watch 3D movies I produced in my VR HMD using a virtual theater app that works like you are in a movie theater watching a flat screen in front. It does not make the movie into a VR presentation because the geometry is all wrong. However, I have created movies shot with VR cameras that do display in 360 or 180 VR. They are on my YT channel.

As for watching a Blu Ray 3D disk in a VR headset, I have never researched this because the player outputs HDMI and I don't know of a way to connect that to my Oculus Quest. The Oculus Rift has HDMI input but that signal is designed to be generated from the Oculus App and the Rift is a special HDMI/USB3.0 connection.

What might be possible is to rip the 3D Blu Ray Disk to an MP4 file in side by side format and then use one of the many VR theater apps to play that file. It is possible to put a movie 3D MP4 file on the Quest internal storage and the Rift using computer storage. I have done that often. What I don't think is possible for a number of reasons is to use a VR HMD like a 3D TV set with HDMI input connected to a 3D BluRay Player.

Another possibility is if you have a BluRay Player that can stream 3D over a wifi network and connect your Oculus Quest to get the 3D signal that way. Then you would still need an app that can play frame packed format. I don't know of any as HMD displays are side by side 3D only.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1; JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, TIVO Edge OTA; Apple TV 4K. Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #3 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Playstation VR is the only way to seamlessly watch blu-ray 3D through VR - any other method involves some form of ripping/encoding/transcoding of the original format to something a VR headset will recognize and play back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Playstation VR is the only way to seamlessly watch blu-ray 3D through VR - any other method involves some form of ripping/encoding/transcoding of the original format to something a VR headset will recognize and play back.
What is the 3D (Blu ray) like vs. on a projector/TV?
post #5 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I played using MPC-HC and BigScreen (encryption off by AnyDVD) on a Rift, and it worked, however was not as impressive or immersive as I expected, due to the reduced resolution/SDE, and the mismatched depth of the VR environment itself and the virtual 3D screen (even as I tried to maximize the screen and the BD 3D depth, the depth in the "screen" is not as pronounced as the depth in the "theater" or "the void"). I also tried the Glyph, and it is somewhat better; watched the entire Mad Max with it. I also have PowerDVD 17, which claims VR support, however do not remember to have tested it, and do not expect it will be better than BigScreen.

My favorite method of 3D watching is still on the 100 inch screen with the DLP projector.
noob00224 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
movies , virtual reality

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page