AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   3D Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/191-3d-displays/)
-   -   Do I need an emitter for an Optoma WU515T? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/191-3d-displays/3114794-do-i-need-emitter-optoma-wu515t.html)

dgk 01-07-2020 07:31 PM

Do I need an emitter for an Optoma WU515T?

I'm getting ready to use an Optoma WU515T, having acquired a 3d player and glasses, but I'm not sure whether there is an optional emitter necessary. The manual shows an output for a 3D emitter, but the only emitter I can find is this one https://www.optoma.com/us/?s=emitter. I think maybe the DLP technology is built in and only Vesa uses the optional emitter?

Roussi 01-08-2020 08:12 AM

Depends what glasses you got. Yes, the projector has DLP link, and yes, no emitter is required for that (it's a screen light flash), but the glasses also have to be DLP-link. If the glasses are IR/RF/BT, then they need the corresponding emitter off the VESA port.

dgk 01-08-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roussi (Post 59066412)
Depends what glasses you got. Yes, the projector has DLP link, and yes, no emitter is required for that (it's a screen light flash), but the glasses also have to be DLP-link. If the glasses are IR/RF/BT, then they need the corresponding emitter off the VESA port.

Thanks, they're DLP: "Works with all DLP Link projectors! Compatible with Optoma/BenQ/Sharp/Acer/LG/Samsung/Mitsubishi and other series DLP projectors". So just set within reasonable range of the screen and it operates off the screen. Great, thanks.

I won't have a chance to try this before Friday but by the end of Saturday I'll know. It turns out that a few of the 3D disks I found at the dollar store got pretty decent reviews for 3D effect. Pacific Rim, Tarzan, Rise of the Empire. Should be fun.

I just saw the latest Star Wars movie in 3D at the local theater. Eh. Decent effects, and plenty of explosions, but I'm not a huge SW fan so it sort of passed me by. I am a big Marvel fan so I'll have to get a few of those in 3D. Dr. Strange was great in 3D, particularly when the buildings were rotating.

dgk 01-08-2020 06:26 PM

Huge success. Naturally I couldn't wait to try it out so I did it tonight. Tarzan looked great in 3D. I had audio issues though. I used a coax to analog converter but apparently there' s an issue of PCM or non-PCM and all I got was sound like a helicopter taking off. I tried to change the BR player audio output but the sound booth is far from the screen and I couldn't read the screen from the booth or operate the BR player from near the screen. Maybe I'll get a cohort to stay by the screen and tell me what it says.

We've used an HDMI to analog audio converter on the non-3D BR players with success so I ordered another one of those - they do claim to pass 3D as long as all the outputs support it. I can't use one that we already have in the system because they go through the 4*4 matrix and booth monitor and those don't support 3D. This will be a bit of a kludgy system but it will work I think.

By way of explanation, the 4*4 matrix currently has two BR players, one English region, the other European, plus a cable TV box and PC hooked up as inputs. The outputs are the booth monitor, central (main Optoma) projector, and two side projectors (Sharp or Sony, I forget). I put in an 2-to-1 HDMI switch so I can bypass the matrix and hook the 3D BR player directly to the balan going to the Optoma. The soundboard is an analog Soundcraft GB4 so getting the audio through it is a bit of a workout. I put this all in another thread but figured I'd repeat it here for simplicity.

Thanks for all the help. Now that I know it's going to work, I'll order a few more 3D videos.