One video is inverted or weird - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-17-2020, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 18
One video is inverted or weird

I was hoping to use The Universe in 3D as a good demo of showing 3D at our small community theater. But that one has left and right reversed apparently. So I looked through the Optoma WUS515T manual and page 39 says that the 3D Sync Invert setting reverses the left and right. Ok, looks good, but it doesn't. I mean, it does make it mostly correctly, but it still just looks crappy on two different glasses. I've noticed that sometimes pressing the glasses on switch more than once does make pictures look better; one setting is obviously correct, but nothing really makes Universe look good. It's a single disk that apparently has both 2D and 3D on it, so maybe that's a problem? Any thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-18-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 606
First, did you select the 3D version? There is usually a selector icon at the beginning of movies that have both 2D and 3D on the same disk. Second, many glasses have a sync invert built-in and pressing the glasses on switch twice, usually will switch eyes, even though you switched it using the remote-defeating the remote. If you happen to be showing the 2D version, but someone switched your projector to 3D, it might be using two 2D frames to create 3D, which will give you a very close to 3D, but not, image. My guess as to what is happening.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-27-2020, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
dgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
First, did you select the 3D version? There is usually a selector icon at the beginning of movies that have both 2D and 3D on the same disk. Second, many glasses have a sync invert built-in and pressing the glasses on switch twice, usually will switch eyes, even though you switched it using the remote-defeating the remote. If you happen to be showing the 2D version, but someone switched your projector to 3D, it might be using two 2D frames to create 3D, which will give you a very close to 3D, but not, image. My guess as to what is happening.
Maybe, I think that's a disk that has both 2D and 3D. I did not see any option for which to show but I'll give it another try. I've received around 15 3D movies so I'm still playing with it. I'm probably going to get a projector for my home as well since this one is at our community theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2020, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk View Post
I was hoping to use The Universe in 3D as a good demo of showing 3D at our small community theater. But that one has left and right reversed apparently. So I looked through the Optoma WUS515T manual and page 39 says that the 3D Sync Invert setting reverses the left and right. Ok, looks good, but it doesn't. I mean, it does make it mostly correctly, but it still just looks crappy on two different glasses. I've noticed that sometimes pressing the glasses on switch more than once does make pictures look better; one setting is obviously correct, but nothing really makes Universe look good. It's a single disk that apparently has both 2D and 3D on it, so maybe that's a problem? Any thoughts appreciated.
Make sure your glasses do or do not have an invert setting. My Estar glasses do NOT have an invert setting. My Apestar glasses DO have an invert setting and for some strange reason they are set to reverse by default. Very annoying. If I hand those Apestar glasses to someone I have to make sure I hit the invert button first every time. I will not buy that brand again and I think that glasses should not have this ability because it only adds to confusion. Projectors should have this ability built in and there should be no reason to reverse the setting. There are a few blu ray 3D's that are encoded right-view first, which is just plain wrong. But Blu ray players decode that correctly. I have noticed with the Blu ray iso file on my KDlinks it will not play those right-view Blu rays correctly and I have to reverse it on my KDlinks player. Other than those few, it isn't an issue.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 02-05-2020 at 01:19 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-05-2020, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 606
If I'm seeing incorrect 3D, I sometimes flip the glasses upside down and that will tell you if the inverse is being seen. Every projector has an inverse 3D feature, but you have to go into the 3D menu and select it.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-11-2020, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

I now have an Optoma (refurbed) projector in my house and a 100" screen so I had more time to play with this one. It's weird. The top menu is disabled when the disk starts playing and the pop-up menu button does nothing. After hitting next chapter several times, I finally get to the menu section. There doesn't seem to be any way to bypass all the preview stuff except hitting Next. Ok, so from the menu, you can pick episodes like Crash Landing On Mars, Worst Days On Planet Earth, etc. For each of those, you're prompted to select 2D or 3D. And then it works fine for the episode. I don't know what the problem at the theater was.

I've accumulated maybe 25 3D blurays in the last month or so and mostly there's no issue playing them. Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy and Madagascar 3 and both were great fun. My friend says the 3D is better than in the big theaters. Maybe because this is active and those are passive?

Anyway, big success. I'm going through the thread on good 3D videos and seeing what I can find for cheap on Ebay. And I plan on taking a run to the local thrift shops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page