The best way to watch 3D movies in 2020? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PCummins
  • 1 Post By DenisG

post #1 of 11 Old 05-02-2020, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The best way to watch 3D movies in 2020?

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I haven't really found anything up-to-date...

So, my 2016 3D-capable Panasonic LCD is about ready to be retire, but I don't want to give up 3D just yet. My options seems to be limited, though:

• no 2020 TVs support 3D (as you all know)
  • A projector solution would be the obvious way to go, but the viewing-space is as far away from a batcave environment as you can possibly get and it would be very difficult to mount/place the projector in an optimal position without ruining the aestetics of the room.

That leaves some sort of HMD solution, I suppose. All my movies are ripped to framepacked MKV, so I don't need a BluRay drive.

What are my options - if any - if I want to watch full-resolution, framepacked 3D movies in the future? a next-gen Sony or Microsoft gaming console with VR glasses? 1080p HMD glasses seem impossible to find, but could be an option?

TIA!

Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-02-2020, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi

If you could buy a projector with a wide lens shift vertical and horizontal the room aestetics can be solved.

IMHO nothing compares to a big screen, 3D glasses reduces the batcave requirement, the effect is still great even without oled blacks.

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, Sony BDP-S6700,
3D RF glasses: Epson, Samsung, Xpand. Fuji FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max, 3D Tablet F892B
post #3 of 11 Old 05-02-2020, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriksdam View Post
That leaves some sort of HMD solution, I suppose. All my movies are ripped to framepacked MKV, so I don't need a BluRay drive. What are my options - if any - if I want to watch full-resolution, framepacked 3D movies in the future? a next-gen Sony or Microsoft gaming console with VR glasses? 1080p HMD glasses seem impossible to find, but could be an option?
I'd recommend staying away from the VR/HMD headsets for 3D movies unless you've experienced it before, they're mostly designed as immersive VR units (so your central movie viewing area is almost never going to be FHD) as they need to spread the pixels out to cover at least 90-110 degrees FOV. As a quick way to experience it you can try with PS4 + PSVR, this shows a lower/grainy resolution of the movie in a window in front of you (definitely not FHD). Having said that there's a few new VR headsets that have super high resolutions like the Pimax 8K (about $1300 US+) or Varjo VR-2 ($5-6K) that could do the job but you'd probably want to demo those first. There's going to be new headsets coming out but again, the actual fundamental experience is not the same as a TV or projector.

If you are determined to retire your 3D TV the only really useful choice is to consider a projector, particularly a short-throw one with 3D support like for example the Optoma GT5600 or
Optoma CinemaX P1 which would let you project onto a wall from an existing TV stand unit without needing the longer distances from a traditional projector. You'd need to do some careful research to find what would fit your requirements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
I'd recommend staying away from the VR/HMD headsets for 3D movies unless you've experienced it before, they're mostly designed as immersive VR units (so your central movie viewing area is almost never going to be FHD) as they need to spread the pixels out to cover at least 90-110 degrees FOV. As a quick way to experience it you can try with PS4 + PSVR, this shows a lower/grainy resolution of the movie in a window in front of you (definitely not FHD). Having said that there's a few new VR headsets that have super high resolutions like the Pimax 8K (about $1300 US+) or Varjo VR-2 ($5-6K) that could do the job but you'd probably want to demo those first. There's going to be new headsets coming out but again, the actual fundamental experience is not the same as a TV or projector.

If you are determined to retire your 3D TV the only really useful choice is to consider a projector, particularly a short-throw one with 3D support like for example the Optoma GT5600 or
Optoma CinemaX P1 which would let you project onto a wall from an existing TV stand unit without needing the longer distances from a traditional projector. You'd need to do some careful research to find what would fit your requirements.
Hi all,

I have a new Optoma 1, 3d capable, projector and I'm trying to figure out the best method to stream 3D content. It looks like the simplest method is to use a Xbox One, PS4, or a handful of blu-ray players that support Vudu. The P1 supports frame-packing but I think only up to 1080p and not 4k.

Are there any other methods or devices that are on the market that will give me the best bang for the buck? What about Kodi on a Raspberry Pi? I don't mind tinkering around a bit.

Cheers
post #5 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Burger 101 Pico Projector with 1080P and DLP technology.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-16-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo01 View Post
I have a new Optoma 1, 3d capable, projector and I'm trying to figure out the best method to stream 3D content. It looks like the simplest method is to use a Xbox One, PS4, or a handful of blu-ray players that support Vudu. The P1 supports frame-packing but I think only up to 1080p and not 4k. Are there any other methods or devices that are on the market that will give me the best bang for the buck? What about Kodi on a Raspberry Pi? I don't mind tinkering around a bit.
If you're after a standalone device the PS4 or XBox One S/X is probably the best bang for buck on being a maintained platform that also gives you the option to play physical Blu-Ray 3D media and streaming (and Ultra HD Blu-Ray on the XBox One S/X). I've preferred the PS4 UI experience over the XBox One as being cleaner and more nonsense free, but also more that the XBox One X/S has issues with HDR + 4K + LG supporting 3D Blu-Ray, so I just use it for Ultra HD Blu-Ray now. From what I've been reading Vudu supports 3D on the PS4, however I don't get that where I am (being outside USA).

When it comes to streaming there are only a few devices that support frame packed media (which to my knowledge maxed at 1080p size) which is typically only used for 1:1 ISO backups of actual Blu-Ray 3D's (though, some people may have their own 3D MVC media they've created of course). Typically you'd need to custom build a HTPC (usually based off NVIDIA chipsets) though I did hear the RPi 3 worked, the RPi 4 was a WIP and a few players such as the Zidoo supported this. This requires specific 3D + HDMI 1.4 support and direct access to the GPU in the streamer hardware itself. Hopefully other readers can suggest what they're using for 3D playback in this situation.

If you don't care about native streamed frame packed media and only use SBS/OU media then generally using a supported Plex, Kodi or other suitable player platform works, you just need to instruct your projector to enable 3D from the SBS/OU input format when you're ready to play it. These days I just use an Apple TV 4K which works fine for Plex and since it's constantly being updated it's low maintenance. For my actual 3D Blu-Rays it's simply easier to use the PS4 and that works fine, so I'd say PS4 + Vudu 3D (needs testing) + Plex would handle most use cases, particularly if you're buying physical media, or the Xbox One X/S if you wanted Ultra HD as well.

This link seems to be updated frequently with the best options for hardware based streamers: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407

Last edited by PCummins; 05-16-2020 at 09:25 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
If you're after a standalone device the PS4 or XBox One S/X is probably the best bang for buck on being a maintained platform that also gives you the option to play physical Blu-Ray 3D media and streaming (and Ultra HD Blu-Ray on the XBox One S/X). I've preferred the PS4 UI experience over the XBox One as being cleaner and more nonsense free, but also more that the XBox One X/S has issues with HDR + 4K + LG supporting 3D Blu-Ray, so I just use it for Ultra HD Blu-Ray now. From what I've been reading Vudu supports 3D on the PS4, however I don't get that where I am (being outside USA).

When it comes to streaming there are only a few devices that support frame packed media (which to my knowledge maxed at 1080p size) which is typically only used for 1:1 ISO backups of actual Blu-Ray 3D's (though, some people may have their own 3D MVC media they've created of course). Typically you'd need to custom build a HTPC (usually based off NVIDIA chipsets) though I did hear the RPi 3 worked, the RPi 4 was a WIP and a few players such as the Zidoo supported this. This requires specific 3D + HDMI 1.4 support and direct access to the GPU in the streamer hardware itself. Hopefully other readers can suggest what they're using for 3D playback in this situation.

If you don't care about native streamed frame packed media and only use SBS/OU media then generally using a supported Plex, Kodi or other suitable player platform works, you just need to instruct your projector to enable 3D from the SBS/OU input format when you're ready to play it. These days I just use an Apple TV 4K which works fine for Plex and since it's constantly being updated it's low maintenance. For my actual 3D Blu-Rays it's simply easier to use the PS4 and that works fine, so I'd say PS4 + Vudu 3D (needs testing) + Plex would handle most use cases, particularly if you're buying physical media, or the Xbox One X/S if you wanted Ultra HD as well.

This link seems to be updated frequently with the best options for hardware based streamers: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407
I didn't see XBox One S/X is not listed on Vudu's site as being able to stream 3D.
Can you verify it will stream from 3D from Vudu?
Thank you!

It wasn't broke 'till I fixed it!!
UN78JS9500 UN55HU9000 UN46F8000BFXZA
UBD-K8500/ZA (2) UBD-K9500
Denon AVR X3500H (2)
Harmony Elite (2)
post #8 of 11 Old 05-19-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyRon View Post
I didn't see XBox One S/X is not listed on Vudu's site as being able to stream 3D. Can you verify it will stream from 3D from Vudu? Thank you!
Sorry - unfortunately I personally can't test Vudu being outside of USA. From what I read, the Vudu app on Xbox One didn't support 3D, only the PS4/PS3 and other selected devices. If you have an account you could raise a support ticket with Vudu, however if someone else reading can quickly confirm that would also work.
CopyRon likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Sorry - unfortunately I personally can't test Vudu being outside of USA. From what I read, the Vudu app on Xbox One didn't support 3D, only the PS4/PS3 and other selected devices. If you have an account you could raise a support ticket with Vudu, however if someone else reading can quickly confirm that would also work.
Thanks

Denon AVR X3500H (2)
Harmony Elite (2)
post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyRon View Post
I didn't see XBox One S/X is not listed on Vudu's site as being able to stream 3D.
Can you verify it will stream from 3D from Vudu?
Thank you!
I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one left that still uses Vudu 3D movies. From what I can tell, Sony seems to be the only company that has consistently supported the Vudu 3D movies.
The PS3 supports it. I'm pretty sure the PS4 dose also.
Just about any Sony 3DBD player with built in vudu app from the current BDP-S6700 to it's older models going back 10+ years. I have the S6500 and the even older S5200.
The newer UHD players X700 and X800 should work, I haven't bought one yet to try. I'm not sure the X800M2 will from what I've seen from the home screen.
CopyRon likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one left that still uses Vudu 3D movies. From what I can tell, Sony seems to be the only company that has consistently supported the Vudu 3D movies.
The PS3 supports it. I'm pretty sure the PS4 dose also.
Just about any Sony 3DBD player with built in vudu app from the current BDP-S6700 to it's older models going back 10+ years. I have the S6500 and the even older S5200.
The newer UHD players X700 and X800 should work, I haven't bought one yet to try. I'm not sure the X800M2 will from what I've seen from the home screen.
My Samsung TVs stream Vudu 3D, but none of my Sammy Blu Ray players, which means I am giving up atmos although only a few 3D movies also are atmos.
I guess I check out the Sonys.

Denon AVR X3500H (2)
Harmony Elite (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page