post #1 of 5 Old 05-27-2020, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 49
3D and screen eye level

Hi guys.

I am in the market for a bigger projection screen and I have come to think of, - if there is a difference in perceived 3D effect quality depending on, whatever your eye level is dead center or as with many of us who use projection screens, are more in the lower bottom part of the screen.

- I would like to have the new screen mounted lower, but I have a rack in the way.

This big question is though, if it will provide any visual benefits to have it mounted lower (?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-28-2020, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 637
How big of a screen? You might get more immersion with a screen where most of the action is at eye level like real life.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-29-2020, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi.

Current screen is 92" - upgrade planned to 110" later this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-29-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 637
The best immersion for 3D is having the middle of the screen at eye level, especially if you are close to the screen. Best distance is about 10" of screen per foot of distance, so 110" screen equals about 11 feet of distance. If not possible, some people build a stage to raise up their seats/chairs. It depends on what you use the room for. If it's just for watching TV/movies, then that is doable. For multi-purpose rooms, that's more difficult. I don't have my audio or bluray player under the screen. I have it near me in a sidewall, which many projector users do--or in a rack next to the screen. Of course, speakers still need to be aligned to the screen. A 110" screen is 54" wide. My eye level is about 43". So 27" of screen should be below my eye level. That puts the bottom of the screen about 16" from the floor. The farther you sit from the screen, the less it matters I think, though. And, of course, a wide-screen image, 2.35:1 on an 16:9 screen creates and even bigger center-viewing issue.
Webmonkey likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2020, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
The best immersion for 3D is having the middle of the screen at eye level, especially if you are close to the screen. Best distance is about 10" of screen per foot of distance, so 110" screen equals about 11 feet of distance. If not possible, some people build a stage to raise up their seats/chairs. It depends on what you use the room for. If it's just for watching TV/movies, then that is doable. For multi-purpose rooms, that's more difficult. I don't have my audio or bluray player under the screen. I have it near me in a sidewall, which many projector users do--or in a rack next to the screen. Of course, speakers still need to be aligned to the screen. A 110" screen is 54" wide. My eye level is about 43". So 27" of screen should be below my eye level. That puts the bottom of the screen about 16" from the floor. The farther you sit from the screen, the less it matters I think, though. And, of course, a wide-screen image, 2.35:1 on an 16:9 screen creates and even bigger center-viewing issue.

Thanks.

I think I am about 9ft from the current 92" and will be the same for the coming 110".

I have been thinking of going to the hardware store and finding some woodblocks to raise the couch. I got possible also shorten some of the tubes on my rack and possible remove the bottom feet, thus laying the button shelf directly on the carpeted floor.

I am sure that I will not be able to ever get the screen bottom down to ~50cm from the floor.

- for regular movies and series, I have no problem with the screen being where it is, as I lean backin the couch, but for gaming, I notice I strain more this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page