Philips BDP-7502 (DV)
Samsung UBD-K8500
Sony UBP-X700 (DV)
Sony UBP-X800
Sony UBP-X1000E
Xbox One X
Xbox One S

Note: DV=Dolby Vision capable

Please let me know if there are any mistakes or if I missed a 4K 3D player. I will update whenever appropriate.

I thought this list may make life a little easier for a few folks. If there is an easily accessible list somewhere else I do apologize for the redundancy but I could only easily find partial lists.

The curious thing about this list is, at least for a couple of these players, the information on whether or not they will play 3D discs isn't readily available. In other words, it's not advertised they will play 3D discs as you need to look into the specifications or ask people that have owned them if they play 3D discs. I personally have the OLED C6P and the Philips BDP-7501 and want to upgrade to a 4K 3D player that has Dolby Vision and perhaps HDR+.

See less See more
Reactions: Car67 and DeadEd
#4 ·
I think I'll be ordering the Sony UBP-X700 soon. My PS3 is failing to play some of my 3D discs now. My wife thought the Lg 4k player I used since the PS3 didn't work didn't look as good as the PS3 (video color too red) so she wants Sony. The 4K players video doing 1080p 3d should be as good or better as the PS3, right? I don't have a 4K display but do have some 4K discs.

#6 ·
3d standard is @ full hd maximum, hence there is no uhd-3d player, tv or pj.

#8 ·
This is just not correct.

Not only are there UHD Blu-ray players as the OP listed, but also good 3D TV's and projectors that are 4K UHD can upconvert 3D 1080P to 4K / UHD. Today there aren't many 3D 4K TV's left but Sony, still makes projectors that will display 3D 1080P upconverted to 4K.

The only way to play higher than 1080P 3D is 3D VR in an HMD. I have 5.7K 3D videos on You Tube and 360° 4K 3D VR videos too. Today we have cameras capable of 11K 3D but nothing to display that resolution yet.

Reactions: Car67
#7 ·
I have the Samsung UBD-K8500. It plays 3D 1080P disks really well. It also has a nice collection of apps for IPTV. And, if you create your own 3D or 4K videos, the Samsung UBD-K8500 can have a 2 TB hard drive attached to the USB port and play 4K and 3D MP4 and MKV files from the hard drive. It is quite the versatile player.

The one thing that is tricky is if you wish to play 3D 1080P, you can't have the auto upconvert to 4K set in the settings because your 3D TV won't play 3D in 4K. You have to do any upconversion to 4K in the TV, not the player. While the upconversion to 4K works well in the Samsung UBD-K8500, I leave that up to the projector so I don't have to reset that all the time.

#10 ·
First, what is "3D standard"? Blu ray 3D is HD resolution max. As far as commercial 3D content that's as high as it goes for video entertainment. But there is hardware out there capable of delivering higher than HD resolution for 3D. All LG passive 4K screens can input and display 3D at UHD resolution, albeit at half 4K resolution per eye, overall it's using 3840x1080/eye, that's twice the resolution what Blu ray 3D offers. One only needs the content and a 4K capable device to push the content to the display in UHD.

One could encode 8K anaglyph and view that on a 2D 8K screen in 3D, though I'm not sure what NLE one would use that supports 8K right now for 3D. There has been 8K content on YT for over 2 years now so might be possible to create 8K 3D right now and view at least in anaglyph. As Don pointed out there are HMD's that display greater than HD resolution/eye. 3D has many different specifications but we can clearly play 3D higher than HD resolution right now. The only thing that is stuck at HD is the entertainment industry for content delivery.

Another method that I've theorized and posted on here more than once is that the current spec for UHD Blu ray could support 3D. By dumping frame packing and using top/bottom half resolution which would play from a UHD player and enabled on LG passive screens top/bottom mode. This is the same idea as 1080p passive screens which were considered HD even though they were technically half resolution per eye. So that would be the same concept for UHD passive screens. The only problem is resolution higher than HD isn't compatible on all displays so it wouldn't work on current 4K 3D projectors and maybe not on some active 4K screens at least direct from the disc. So the UHD 3D disc wouldn't be universally supported.

As far as getting an official upgrade to Blu ray 3D to UHD Blu ray 3D, something needs to happen on the industry side to move things forward with new equipment and support. If they would make a new UHD 3D spec for UHD Blu ray, that would enable manufacturers to get on board. Need the likes of James Cameron to push things forward like what happened after Avatar.

One of these days I need to get a UHD player and then I will burn a UHD 3D disc. But I haven't fully taken the plunge in 4K content yet. I have to replace a 4K receiver that doesn't have HDCP 2.2 and I need a player still. And mostly I play the files off HDD which works better for me than disc anyway.

#11 ·
What's the best way to stream 3D content in 2020?

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the best method to stream 3D content with my new Optoma P1. It looks like the simplest method is to use a Xbox One, PS4, or a handful of blu-ray players that support Vudu. The P1 supports frame-packing but I think only up to 1080p and not 4k.

Are there any other methods or devices that are on the market that will give me the best bang for the buck? What about Kodi on a Raspberry Pi? I don't mind tinkering around a bit.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.