New 3D camera does it all - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 10-22-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 586
This is off forum, but I've been following this little camera using a Sony sensor with changeable lenses. They are touting it as a camera for astronomy. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...onomy-camera#/

They are coming out with an even smaller camera--the NANO1. https://www.tinymos.com/

I'm posting these for Barry...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

However for existing customers registered with HumanEyes Vuze360 owners, there is a 20% discount through an email that ends Oct 30.
Hey, is there any possibility to get an 20% discount? Is it a promo code in the mail?

thanks
post #33 of 44 Old 10-22-2018, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
This is off forum, but I've been following this little camera using a Sony sensor with changeable lenses. They are touting it as a camera for astronomy. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...onomy-camera#/

They are coming out with an even smaller camera--the NANO1. https://www.tinymos.com/

I'm posting these for Barry...
Well......, first the good news. For the "masses", kids, etc., it might be kind of a cool gadget- albeit a bit expensive, me thinks. However, that being said, the quality of those night sky images in that demo Youtube were terrible! Of course, its not- or at least shouldn't be- intended for anyone who's in any way serious about night sky images. One of the things that's a bane to night sky photography and always must be disabled is any form of noise reduction. This camera touts its noise reduction features, and it certainly shows, as probably 2/3 of the stars are AWOL- star eater effect. The barrel distortion is also quite hideous. But, again, for those who want to shell out the money for it, I can see how it could make for some family fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 10-31-2018, 05:49 PM
Preditor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I’ve been using the Insta360Pro pro for 6k 3D for a while. Not bad, but not end all be all. There’s a higher end 3D VR180 camera that uses 4/3 sensors (Zcam), but pricey.

No LCD screens, but you use your phone as the screen and for camera controls
Don Landis likes this.
post #35 of 44 Old 11-01-2018, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Jet-X

I played around with the Insta 360 Pro at NAB last year and was impressed with the quality specs, but unfortunately the real issue for improving image quality in these 360 cameras is not resolution but the HMD limitations and the image stabilization for action shooting. The Insta360 pro was excused on the second part by the sales engineer as "we intend for the Insta 360 Pro to be mono-pod mounted in the center of activity. So that's why I will remain with my Vuze360 for now. But for VR180, I was looking for something that can travel forward view only in a VR world. The Vuze XR seems to be satisfying that choice.

As for a video screen, it is true that for flat screen recording a monitor is really needed. That's why I shoot with one for my old GoPro 3D rig and use the smart phone app for my Vuze 360 cam, but only to verify the horizon level of the camera. Same for VR180. But once the horizon is set, the monitor screen is really not necessary. People like my friend tom who insist on a screen for a VR camera just do not understand what VR is all about, I believe. Given that VR180 will see EVERYTHING in front of the camera and nothing behind not just in a 180° wide FOV horizontal, but also 180° vertical, that's all you really need. I'm more concerned with the quality of image stabilization and the stitching for the 2D 360. Then trying to view VR on a flat screen without the proper player to adjust the rectilinear format is also a problem.

For my Vuze 360 3D there is really only one way to do quality work for a traveling video in 360VR and that is with the Gimbal. Unfortunately, in many environments, the rig draws too much attention so I tend to tone down the setup. The most frustrating is with security police these days. I spent last week at Disney World and they do not allow ANY camera supports now in the Park. A guy in front of me had his gimbal confiscated. Another woman had the handle to her GoPro confiscated. I knew the new rules and didn't carry any supports. The first day I had the Vuze 360 but the security was so bothered by it that I decided to just not bring it the rest of the week. I mounted my GoPro on my hat and nobody tried to confiscate my hat, at least not this trip. I could imagine the stares I would get with an Insta 360 Pro. They would want to call in the bomb squad!

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #36 of 44 Old 11-01-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For my Vuze 360 3D there is really only one way to do quality work for a traveling video in 360VR and that is with the Gimbal. Unfortunately, in many environments, the rig draws too much attention so I tend to tone down the setup. The most frustrating is with security police these days. I spent last week at Disney World and they do not allow ANY camera supports now in the Park. A guy in front of me had his gimbal confiscated. Another woman had the handle to her GoPro confiscated. I knew the new rules and didn't carry any supports. The first day I had the Vuze 360 but the security was so bothered by it that I decided to just not bring it the rest of the week. I mounted my GoPro on my hat and nobody tried to confiscate my hat, at least not this trip. I could imagine the stares I would get with an Insta 360 Pro. They would want to call in the bomb squad!
I wonder what they think the mounts could be used for? I suppose they might think that beyond holding the camera itself, the holding gadget could be a disguised pipe bomb. We live in a very trying time.

I remember back in the day when guys would come with complete video setups, tripods, huge vhs cameras, and one guy even had a separate audio system with a small boom mic. I laughed so hard back then at the site of this one guy literally towing his equipment around the park, standing in front of each amusement entrance and setting up the equipment. His wife pushed a baby around in a stroller, which was used to carry some of the equipment. Anyway, I digress...
post #37 of 44 Old 11-01-2018, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Bob- Yes, those were the days but guys like than and me too, were the rarity, a novelty for Park security. When I first shot Reflections of Earth with my Twin TD-10 rig on a tripod, two Park security actually gave me a nice protected location inside the roped off area. I think today, the popularity of the selfie sticks waving above hundreds of tourists heads has led to the ban on any extension camera support devices including monopods and tripods, booms and the like. In Mexico, now video shooting is illegal without a permit. The permits are cheap, usually $5-$10 a day for amateur video with a cell phone. But traditional video camcorders are considered professional and banned completely unless you have a government issues press license.

Bo longer can I use this rig: ( BTW- The Parks often have lockers to store things so I didn't need to lug the tripods and other gear around all day.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Don with elevatorcam at MK.jpg.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	2476580  

Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752

Last edited by Don Landis; 11-01-2018 at 10:52 AM.
post #38 of 44 Old 11-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Preditor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I played around with the Insta 360 Pro at NAB last year and was impressed with the quality specs, but unfortunately the real issue for improving image quality in these 360 cameras is not resolution but the HMD limitations and the image stabilization for action shooting. The Insta360 pro was excused on the second part by the sales engineer as "we intend for the Insta 360 Pro to be mono-pod mounted in the center of activity. So that's why I will remain with my Vuze360 for now. But for VR180, I was looking for something that can travel forward view only in a VR world. The Vuze XR seems to be satisfying that choice.
The insta360 pro has been made to work with a few different gimbals, so it is possible. I don't shoot on the move, so not an issue for me. They also released a VR180 mode for the camera, but you have always had the ability to make 180 by not stitching the other lenses.

Finally, the HMD limitation for Insta360 seems to have been overcome with their 'Crystalview' app - you can now watch 6k and 8k videos in an HMD with the software rendering only the pixels in your viewport vs. the entire video. There is a noticeable visual improvement (I've tested it) over all other software limiting to around 4K
post #39 of 44 Old 11-02-2018, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Finally, the HMD limitation for Insta360 seems to have been overcome with their 'Crystalview' app - you can now watch 6k and 8k videos in an HMD with the software rendering only the pixels in your viewport vs. the entire video. There is a noticeable visual improvement (I've tested it) over all other software limiting to around 4K
Interesting- But still there are really no good HMD's yet with higher than 4K per eye with 120 Hz refresh rates (needed for gamers). As you know to achieve really great image quality in a 360 VR we will need a 16K panel and shooting at same. I don't think I will be doing video when that day happens. So in my 70's I'm just happy to do what I can each year. I no longer have any desire to go bigger, like with that Insta360 Pro. I get excited with smaller even if I have to suffer a little with image quality. I'm happy to enjoy the work from you guys with the bigger rigs.

post #40 of 44 Old 03-14-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The new EVO is here. 180° 3D and 360 2D, plus stabilization. https://store.insta360.com/product/evo

Oh, and if you have an iPhone, they have a nifty 3D overlay to watch the videos: https://store.insta360.com/product/holoframe

Price is a little hefty, but probably competitive. Problem with me is that the videos will all have wing-flapping horizons, and you will need to get close to avoid distortion. I don't see a mode for less than 180°, too bad, otherwise, I'd go for it.

Edit: Don, check out the pro 360 3D camera!

Last edited by 3DBob; 03-14-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #41 of 44 Old 03-18-2019, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Insta has the best image stabilization going. The new 3D folding VR180 / 3D 360 is a poor knockoff of the Vuze XR. I have the Vuze XR which is easier to use than the Insta EVO. But, for basic 2D 360VR you can't beat the Insta One X I have two of them. You can do some amazing sfx with that camera.

That Holoframe has been out for over a year under other brands. I have one around here. It works like the 3D viewers on your 3D cameras like the Sony TD10 and Pany Z10K. Very sensitive to the angle of view.

post #42 of 44 Old 05-22-2019, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just ordered a Vuze XR. I am thinking the Evo is better from reviews, but I guess I decided audio was more important in recording a family immersive experience than being able to walk around with better stabilization. HDR on Evo seemed a bit bitter but then again less resolution in some cases from reviews. I think the handiness of Vuze will come in handy. But come to think of it. I am going to a family swimming outing this Sunday. I suppose the Evo would be easier to just set on a table for recording. What would I need for the Vuze, need to haul a tripod as well? I guess I have a small one of those as well I could set on a table, but the form factor could be a lot easier to tip over.

Oh well, I bought it with a Citi Prestige card, so I will have Price Prot for 60 days, and also can start a return process in 90 days and have about another 90 days to do a return, so 6 months use. Was really trying to decide which to get an Evo or Vuze. Just want to set it up someplace and see our grand kids in a more real experience looking back. I got many in our family Rift/PCs over a year ago so we have a way to view VR, but they don't get much use.
post #43 of 44 Old 05-29-2019, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Ron- One tip with these cameras and HDR. They function in HDR mode by taking 3 or even more images at different EV's and then combining them. Therefore each of those pictures happens at different time. So by combining any like that if there is any movement the image is blurry. Only use HDR when NOTHING moves in the shot.

I carry a selfie stick and small tripod made for the selfie sticks.

post #44 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page