3D stereoscopic camera in 2018 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 64 Old 05-04-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Now that we are spilling our 3D hearts....I bought my first Realist in 1962 while in high school. I, too, got the bug from Viewmaster slides. I still have several disks from the 50s, and they are still in great condition. I have taken over 1000 Realist slides since the 60s, and most were taken in the 80s when my kids were born. So I have lots of 3D memories. About 8 years ago, I scanned all of these slides into digital files and used Stereomaker to align them. Recently, I've gone through them and converted many to 16:9 format to create a bluray for watching on my projector--the full frame effect definitely increases the feeling of being there. Over the years, I've had many different stereo cameras including the valued Veriscope F40, which was used, I'm told, to take the original Viewmaster slides. The small Viewmaster frames were created from those, and why they are so sharp. I also had a Viewmaster camera, but the quality was not that great. In the digital world I moved up to the Fuji W3 and the Panasonic 3D1 pocket camera, the JVC TD1, then the Sony TD10, then the Gopro 3+ system. Now dabbling in VR after my son showed me his Oculus Rift.

I saw the Bubble in 1967 and Warhol's Frankenstein in the 70s. The Bubble was great with lots of popouts, Frankenstein had good 3D, but awful content. I gave my son my 3D1 to take to Europe a couple of years ago, and he took hundreds of really great 3D pics. Problem will all of my 3D is trying to get others to watch it. The reactions are always mixed. Some like it, but most don't, and the glasses always drive everyone nuts, even the polarized ones I use for my living-room TV. VR might bring more people in the 3D realm, but it's a not a communal experience--unless you are playing a game with another person who is viewing the same gave, plus unlike casual TV watching, it requires total concentration, so it can be tiring to watch for more than 10-20 minutes at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 05-05-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Kids do. They love to watch others play these games. I heard that the Oculus Go will monitor the Oculus Quest player. So having the two for the Grandkids seems like it will be a hit. One plays while the other watches, then they switch off. We do this now with XBOX Kinect, car races, and PS3 games.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #63 of 64 Old 05-05-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Sounds like at least these devices will keep things like 3D gaming around- although possibly hanging be a thread.
Nvidia has now suspended future 3D driver support for its 3D vision systems- like I use for my 3D monitor. When it was first out, it was all the rage with gamers who played on 3D monitors. My son used to love gaming in 3D. That lasted for all of about a month or so and then he stopped using 3D for gaming.
I'm afraid until we get holodecks, 3D may kind of sputter along at a niche level. I'm happy that at least it's staying alive in some way, shape, or form.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 64 Old 05-06-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 438
For gamers it seems to me that it's all about frames per second and latency, while for us media whores, we prefer resolution in PPI of the display panels. 3D is a given for both and assumed to be part of the natural HMD system. They don't really make an HMD that is one eye view only. Some apps can't do 3D 360 and others can't even do VR, only simulated movie theater experience. But the hardware is always 3D capable.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page