Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-04-2018, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Power Director 17

Version 17, of course nothing new for 3D but a few additions to the new version. They've added DTS audio output to mkv video codec. They added improvement to 360 video stabilization. I believe 360 support was added in v16 last year. Improved title designer and quicker. They added improvement with Intel Gen 8 processors.

PowerDirector 365 -They also added a subscription based format instead of purchasing outright.

Hopefully, they keep the purchase option around. I'm not a subscription-based user. I quit buying Adobe software after they went subscription only. Not sure if I'll upgrade to 17 right now. Might wait for v18. If you shoot 360 you might want to upgrade for the added stabilization support.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-05-2018, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 429
tom- v16 has V360 support but not 3D 360. It also did not correct inserted graphics for rectilinear projection. Adobe Premiere Pro had all this since June of last year. If you upgrade every year with something like Edius, the cost is higher than adobe Premiere Pro which offers no extra charge upgrades several times a year, about every other month with new features. For 360 editing it is really the best game in town and the subscription is just $21 a month. The one disadvantage is they do not support flat 3D editing, only VR 3D. So I still need a flat screen 3D editor, like Edius or Vegas Pro. For Blu-Ray 3D I love Power Director. For canned animation tools I love MAGIX. I really don't have much use for Vegas Pro these days.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #3 of 10 Old 11-06-2018, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
tom- v16 has V360 support but not 3D 360. It also did not correct inserted graphics for rectilinear projection. Adobe Premiere Pro had all this since June of last year. If you upgrade every year with something like Edius, the cost is higher than adobe Premiere Pro which offers no extra charge upgrades several times a year, about every other month with new features. For 360 editing it is really the best game in town and the subscription is just $21 a month. The one disadvantage is they do not support flat 3D editing, only VR 3D. So I still need a flat screen 3D editor, like Edius or Vegas Pro. For Blu-Ray 3D I love Power Director. For canned animation tools I love MAGIX. I really don't have much use for Vegas Pro these days.
Edius is generally on a 2 year version upgrade cycle. During the two years, they come out with free updates with new features every few months. The thing I do like about Edius, Power Director, etc., is that you can continue to use an older version, if it suits your needs. With Adobe, if you drop your subscription, you're screwed- can't even open, modify, or borrow, edited content from an old project, or start a new one. To me, that is a deal breaker and totally unacceptable, and I refuse to be a renter of any software that does this- unless I absolutely have no choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Strange! Two of my posts have disappeared from yesterday.

So I'll repeat- Barry, I will need to revisit the Edius 9 upgrade now that the 3D GoPro 6+7 rig is working so well. While I did figure out how to set the Hero 7 for h264 priority to use Edius 7.53, it seems that I can still do the upgrade price of $265 from B&H to the latest version. I hope it still does 3D. I didn't see 3D listed in the features. Aren't you on 8, or was that Bob?

Right now bills are heavy so I will have to wait until next month for that expense.

Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #5 of 10 Old 11-07-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Strange! Two of my posts have disappeared from yesterday.

So I'll repeat- Barry, I will need to revisit the Edius 9 upgrade now that the 3D GoPro 6+7 rig is working so well. While I did figure out how to set the Hero 7 for h264 priority to use Edius 7.53, it seems that I can still do the upgrade price of $265 from B&H to the latest version. I hope it still does 3D. I didn't see 3D listed in the features. Aren't you on 8, or was that Bob?

Right now bills are heavy so I will have to wait until next month for that expense.
I'm still using E8, but Bob may have 9; not sure. If you are going to upgrade, although it will cost you more, I would suggest you get the Workgroup version, as there are some features which I think make it well worth the additional price. The main additional feature which I use all the time is a little tab on the top menu which allows you to change resolution on the fly, I usually switch 3D or 4K 2D to 1/2 for often realtime timeline viewing once filters have been added. Sometimes I even have to drop to 1/4. But, having this ability really makes high res timeline editing MUCH easier.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Barry, I have Edius 9.3, but not workgroup version. That feature would be helpful. The 9.3 version has selectable export format and bit rate options, so you don't have to create them. You still have to select the type of 3D you want, though. It's faster as well if you use the embedded intel processor.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-07-2018, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I usually switch 3D or 4K 2D to 1/2 for often realtime timeline viewing once filters have been added. Sometimes I even have to drop to 1/4. But, having this ability really makes high res timeline editing MUCH easier.
Barry- you forgot I built this super fast computer and I no longer have problems playing 4K video in real time with up to 8 timelines. In Premiere Pro, I can even do that in 360 VR 3D converting to VR view. Most of my rendering is done 3-4 times real time. I view timeline in full resolution on all projects now.

Bob- not sure you ever tested this but in 9.3, do you have to pair left and right video in the bin. My work flow in 3D pairing is I import the left and right file. Then put them on the timeline one above the other. Then I line up the sync markers in the audio channel to the frame. Trim the ends. Then drag both back to the bun and select both and pair as stereo. Here I could do the sync and verify left and right files but if the clips aren't the same that often fails so I just sync in the timeline. It would be nice if I could just activate the pairing in the timeline after trimming like we do with Sony Vegas Pro.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-07-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don, that new computer of yours, I'm jealous!!
post #9 of 10 Old 05-06-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
David Tiede
post #10 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Bob- not sure you ever tested this but in 9.3, do you have to pair left and right video in the bin. My work flow in 3D pairing is I import the left and right file. Then put them on the timeline one above the other. Then I line up the sync markers in the audio channel to the frame. Trim the ends. Then drag both back to the bun and select both and pair as stereo. Here I could do the sync and verify left and right files but if the clips aren't the same that often fails so I just sync in the timeline. It would be nice if I could just activate the pairing in the timeline after trimming like we do with Sony Vegas Pro.
Hey, Don, I just saw this. I have 9.31, and it's faster than the past versions, but does about the same logically except for having presets for exporting to a file. I've done the sync alignment and pass the files back to the bin, and select both as stereo as you mentioned. Today, I tried loading them over each other, selecting them both for stereo, but it doesn't allow me to create a stereo pair from them. Only can do that in the bin. One thing I've noticed in the past with separate L/R files from two un-synced cameras is the file combine for stereo sometimes does a good sync without having to do the sync on the timeline. They have to be within a couple of frames of each other though to start with.

One thing I have to remember is to disconnect my graphics card from the monitor if I want to use the embedded intel hardware also plugged into the monitor for dual screen use. It will still allow me to export using hardware if my graphics card is also plugged into the monitor, but gives me a Catastrophic Failure message after a few seconds of rendering to a file and stops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page