2D to 3D Bluray players - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By PCummins
  • 1 Post By PCummins
  • 1 Post By bjones8103
  • 1 Post By RS3771
  • 1 Post By rural scribe
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-28-2018, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
kevon27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 200
2D to 3D Bluray players

I've finally moved from 1080p (2007 - 2018) to 4K/3D with the purchase of what is probably the last TV with 4K and 3D still available new at retail (Sony Z9D).
I'm trying to grow my 3D movie collection but the movies I want to watch in 3D, I already own in the standard Bluray format.

I don't want to own multiple copies of the same movie. So I was thinking of buying a used Bluray player which does 2D to 3D conversion.
But I have a few questions.

1. Does 2d to 3d conversion actually work well enough to give that 3D effect?
2. Which player is considered the best for converting 2d material into 3D

Thanks.
kevon27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 11-28-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,963
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
I've finally moved from 1080p (2007 - 2018) to 4K/3D with the purchase of what is probably the last TV with 4K and 3D still available new at retail (Sony Z9D).
I'm trying to grow my 3D movie collection but the movies I want to watch in 3D, I already own in the standard Bluray format.

I don't want to own multiple copies of the same movie. So I was thinking of buying a used Bluray player which does 2D to 3D conversion.
But I have a few questions.

1. Does 2d to 3d conversion actually work well enough to give that 3D effect?
2. Which player is considered the best for converting 2d material into 3D

Thanks.
You will not be satisfied with the results, particularly if you ever see one of them in native 3d for comparison. rent or replace the blurays. Region free disks from Amazon UK are probably the best value, though not in all cases. Blu-ray.com lists sale prices on 3d discs.
ScottAvery is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 11-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Member
 
PCummins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
I've finally moved from 1080p (2007 - 2018) to 4K/3D with the purchase of what is probably the last TV with 4K and 3D still available new at retail (Sony Z9D).
I'm trying to grow my 3D movie collection but the movies I want to watch in 3D, I already own in the standard Bluray format.

I don't want to own multiple copies of the same movie. So I was thinking of buying a used Bluray player which does 2D to 3D conversion.
But I have a few questions.

1. Does 2d to 3d conversion actually work well enough to give that 3D effect?
2. Which player is considered the best for converting 2d material into 3D
1) I've got an LG 2016 OLED that I can enable 2D to 3D conversion on for. I've watched a few films in it and can say the effect is subtle in Movie 3D mode. So you get a "realistic" sense of depth particularly on scenes that have strong hinting (corridors, edges going back into the horizon, etc). I could probably adjust it up to strengthen the effect I expect to make it stand out more. However, it has drawbacks where the conversion goes off so you can get depth holes where the conversion has gotten confused so it fails on depth mapping and gives unusual results (like "holes" in the screen depth in unusual areas). That's just the LG, other TV's and devices would react differently of course. Overall I'd watch the 2D->3D as a novelty for existing films but would be prepared to turn it off if it's not working out (ie too dark, material just isn't working out, etc).

Compared to a true 3D Blu-Ray disc there's no real comparison; if you like the movie you should buy it in 3D again and sell off the 2D copy you have already (quite a few 3D copies come with 2D discs anyhow). For some movies like 3D animated ones (How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, Disney animated releases) don't even bother questioning it - just get the 3D disc (excluding Shrek 1-3, that was converted). For other movies it's worth checking CinemaBlend "To 3D or not to 3D" reviews of the movies to see if it makes sense buying it again in 3D, usually if it scores over 25+ it's worth buying. There's also Real or Fake 3D which lists the conversions vs natively shot movies as well, so if native 3D is your thing you know which discs to prioritise.

2) Can't really comment on this sorry. Others hopefully can provide their experiences/thoughts on it.
kevon27 likes this.
PCummins is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 11-29-2018, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
kevon27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
1) I've got an LG 2016 OLED that I can enable 2D to 3D conversion on for. I've watched a few films in it and can say the effect is subtle in Movie 3D mode. So you get a "realistic" sense of depth particularly on scenes that have strong hinting (corridors, edges going back into the horizon, etc). I could probably adjust it up to strengthen the effect I expect to make it stand out more. However, it has drawbacks where the conversion goes off so you can get depth holes where the conversion has gotten confused so it fails on depth mapping and gives unusual results (like "holes" in the screen depth in unusual areas). That's just the LG, other TV's and devices would react differently of course. Overall I'd watch the 2D->3D as a novelty for existing films but would be prepared to turn it off if it's not working out (ie too dark, the material just isn't working out, etc).

Compared to a true 3D Blu-Ray disc there's no real comparison; if you like the movie you should buy it in 3D again and sell off the 2D copy you have already (quite a few 3D copies come with 2D discs anyhow). For some movies like 3D animated ones (How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, Disney animated releases) don't even bother questioning it - just get the 3D disc (excluding Shrek 1-3, that was converted). For other movies it's worth checking CinemaBlend "To 3D or not to 3D" reviews of the movies to see if it makes sense buying it again in 3D, usually if it scores over 25+ it's worth buying. There's also Real or Fake 3D which lists the conversions vs natively shot movies as well, so if native 3D is your thing you know which discs to prioritise.

2) Can't really comment on this sorry. Others hopefully can provide their experiences/thoughts on it.

PCummins - I really appreciate your input. I'll check out the site you mention.

Thanks again.
kevon27 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 11-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Member
 
PCummins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
PCummins - I really appreciate your input. I'll check out the site you mention. Thanks again.
CinemaBlend is good as they review the movies as they come out as to whether it's worth watching in 3D which gives a good hint into whether it's worth picking up the 3D Blu-Ray, though people's personal opinions on the Blu-Ray itself are posted up here as well which are worth reading as everyone has their own personal preferences and opinions.

On Blu-Ray players looks like the Oppo UDP-203 would be a good choice (2D -> 3D conversion, 4K upscaling, etc) despite it going out of production it is still considered as one of the best available (along with the UDP-205). There's other players out there but you'd need to research carefully since the 2D -> 3D conversion is not a super high priority for most reviewers. If you are dead keen on 3D Blu-Rays you would definitely need one that can be made Blu-Ray region free (or at least play Region B) as more and more 3D Blu-Rays are released in UK/Europe/Australia only (Disney being one of the companies that are now only releasing 3D generally in UK/Australia now, and some 3D Blu-Rays for lesser known films are only released in France/Germany as well).
kevon27 likes this.
PCummins is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 11-30-2018, 04:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
CinemaBlend is good as they review the movies as they come out as to whether it's worth watching in 3D which gives a good hint into whether it's worth picking up the 3D Blu-Ray, though people's personal opinions on the Blu-Ray itself are posted up here as well which are worth reading as everyone has their own personal preferences and opinions.

On Blu-Ray players looks like the Oppo UDP-203 would be a good choice (2D -> 3D conversion, 4K upscaling, etc) despite it going out of production it is still considered as one of the best available (along with the UDP-205). There's other players out there but you'd need to research carefully since the 2D -> 3D conversion is not a super high priority for most reviewers. If you are dead keen on 3D Blu-Rays you would definitely need one that can be made Blu-Ray region free (or at least play Region B) as more and more 3D Blu-Rays are released in UK/Europe/Australia only (Disney being one of the companies that are now only releasing 3D generally in UK/Australia now, and some 3D Blu-Rays for lesser known films are only released in France/Germany as well).
I own a number of Oppo BDP -103Ds and an UDP-203 and as far as their 2D to 3D conversion capabilities go, my advice is as yours; buy the disc.
kevon27 likes this.
bjones8103 is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 12-04-2018, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
RS3771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I had, in the past, tried 2D -> 3D conversions and the results were simply atrocious! Period! I always get the 3D disc of course.
kevon27 likes this.
RS3771 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 12-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
rural scribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Laramie, WY
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
I've finally moved from 1080p (2007 - 2018) to 4K/3D with the purchase of what is probably the last TV with 4K and 3D still available new at retail (Sony Z9D).
I'm trying to grow my 3D movie collection but the movies I want to watch in 3D, I already own in the standard Bluray format.

I don't want to own multiple copies of the same movie. So I was thinking of buying a used Bluray player which does 2D to 3D conversion.
But I have a few questions.

1. Does 2d to 3d conversion actually work well enough to give that 3D effect?
2. Which player is considered the best for converting 2d material into 3D

Thanks.
I've got a Sony BDP-S5100, Optoma projector HD25e and LG 55EC9300, all of which will convert 2D to 3D and vice versa.

In most cases, a 3D blu ray will work better than 2D converted to 3D, but there are exceptions.

I bought a blu ray 3D, "My Bloody Valentine" which was anaglyphic rather than true 3D blu ray. The conversion was better than watching it with those old blue and red colored 3D glasses. Bad movie either way.

So stay away from anaglyphic 3D. It used to be the only game in town for 3D, but now it is to be avoided.

Also, I think 2D cartoons converted to 3D look pretty good. Not as good as 3D blu ray, but close enough to make me think twice about paying a lot of money for any 3D blu ray cartoon. I still buy 3D blu ray cartoons, but only if the cost is reasonable, about $5 or so for my money.

I bought a "Puss in Boots" 3D blu ray at a pawn shop on Monday, and it seemed like a better movie overall than I thought it was the first time I saw it in a theater. It was worth the $5 I paid for it.

Also check out this forum post from Deja Vu for another point of view on this. I bought the same software package he touts, but haven't tried it yet:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/196-3...expensive.html
kevon27 likes this.
rural scribe is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Member
 
PCummins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
Also, I think 2D cartoons converted to 3D look pretty good. Not as good as 3D blu ray, but close enough to make me think twice about paying a lot of money for any 3D blu ray cartoon. I still buy 3D blu ray cartoons, but only if the cost is reasonable, about $5 or so for my money.

I bought a "Puss in Boots" 3D blu ray at a pawn shop on Monday, and it seemed like a better movie overall than I thought it was the first time I saw it in a theater. It was worth the $5 I paid for it.
To be honest I haven't actually tried much animated material (2D/3D rendered or otherwise) with the 2D to 3D conversion as I've always just got the 3D Blu-Ray instead. I did get Puss in Boots in 3D a while back and it was very good when I watched it in 3D last, the voice actors (and actresses) along with Henry Jackman scoring the music really make the film (up there with John Powell and How to Train Your Dragon). I'm just hoping HTTYD 3 doesn't skip a 3D release so I can complete the series in 3D.

I should probably try a few conversions to A/B test with the original 3D Blu-Ray to see how the LG compares overall, I think.
PCummins is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 12-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
I've finally moved from 1080p (2007 - 2018) to 4K/3D with the purchase of what is probably the last TV with 4K and 3D still available new at retail (Sony Z9D).
I'm trying to grow my 3D movie collection but the movies I want to watch in 3D, I already own in the standard Bluray format.

I don't want to own multiple copies of the same movie. So I was thinking of buying a used Bluray player which does 2D to 3D conversion.
But I have a few questions.

1. Does 2d to 3d conversion actually work well enough to give that 3D effect?
2. Which player is considered the best for converting 2d material into 3D

Thanks.
In my experience the guesswork on depth is so frequently wrong that it's extremely annoying and distracting. I'd much rather watch a very good 2D presentation. On-the-fly conversion is a quite a bit better with animated titles, but it's still too distracting for me.

Some people do like the added depth, even if the depth is wrong. Somehow they are not bothered by it. Even in that case, I'd say the 3D discs are still going to be better and I'd limit conversion to titles only available in 2D.

You might inadvertently already have a 3D movie to compare with. For example Prometheus extended edition came with 3D, and some titles like Frakenstein are a 2D/3D combo disc. Look through your collection.
Actionable Mango is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 04:53 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
I've finally moved from 1080p (2007 - 2018) to 4K/3D with the purchase of what is probably the last TV with 4K and 3D still available new at retail (Sony Z9D).
I'm trying to grow my 3D movie collection but the movies I want to watch in 3D, I already own in the standard Bluray format.

I don't want to own multiple copies of the same movie. So I was thinking of buying a used Bluray player which does 2D to 3D conversion.
But I have a few questions.

1. Does 2d to 3d conversion actually work well enough to give that 3D effect?
2. Which player is considered the best for converting 2d material into 3D

Thanks.
Although this will not answer your question; it posses the exact same question because I too am looking for a good Blu ray player that can convert 2D to 3D on the fly.
Years ago I owned (still do- but motherboards are no longer available for repairs) a Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7291 3D 17.3" 1920x1080 3D Gaming Laptop with Active Shutter Glasses and a Blu ray capable optical drive. The dedicated graphics card was from NVidia and the OS was Windows 7.x with Optimus technology which could/would use as much of the 16Gb of RAM in addition to the GPU's built in 4Gb cache and literally convert a 2D movie to 3D on the fly.
Trust me!!! The technology is out there. I purchased a Blu ray 3D copy of Avatar which also came with a regular 2D DVD and even though the 3D was really good; the 2D to 3D converted playing of the movie was even more 3D immersive than the video the 3D disk provided. IMPRESSIVELY SO!
There were some minor settings which had to be adjusted/specified in the control panel for the Nvidia 2D/3D application for the laptop and they were easy enough to use to select the 3D conversion level, but they worked, and worked flawlessly!
I know a good 3D Blu ray player capable of doing this just as well or even better now that computers have advanced so much since my Qosmio purchase will not be cheap because it will require that a true dedicated video processor on the scale of a small computer with lots of RAM be built into the Blu ray player to actually be capable of doing it. But guess what folks! I've seen the results of the technology and I'm very willing to pay the cost to acquire it again.
SMK1961 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 12:28 PM
Member
 
adam_knox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I dunno, I have a sony blu ray player that does 2d to 3d on the fly and allows adjustments to the 3d depth for 3d discs. If I put in armageddon and convert it to 3d, it's okay, but pales in comparison to even the poorest of post conversions 3d movies from Hollywood studios on a 3d disc. The 3d depth perception is nice, but I only putz with it if it's just me. Other viewers sometimes experience eye fatigue or strain if I increase the 3d effect.

Ebay sellers often sell just the 3d disc so you could go that route. I bought some blank dual and triple disc blu ray cases and just swapped out the paper artwork sleeve.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
adam_knox is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 01-01-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,496
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Understanding how conversions are done helps understand the problem of getting depth in any scene. In stationary scenes, the convertor looks for motion of objects and tries to determine where they are in the scene. Most converters use a bottom-up approach, "thinking" that objects closer are at the bottom of the image and those up to the middle and beyond are farther away. It also tries to guess where the horizon is. If the scene has no determinable horizon, then you get a backward warping image from bottom to top. In moving scenes, the converter determines if the motion is left to right or right to left and separates the eyes accordingly so you get 3D, and it's usually pretty good. So in movies with lots of sideways motion, the 3D can be quite accurate since it is easier to determine which objects are closer to the viewer(move faster) than objects farther away (objects at infinity hardly move). The best 2D-3D converter I've seen is the one used in PowerDVD.
3DBob is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 02-16-2020, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Understanding how conversions are done helps understand the problem of getting depth in any scene. In stationary scenes, the convertor looks for motion of objects and tries to determine where they are in the scene. Most converters use a bottom-up approach, "thinking" that objects closer are at the bottom of the image and those up to the middle and beyond are farther away. It also tries to guess where the horizon is. If the scene has no determinable horizon, then you get a backward warping image from bottom to top. In moving scenes, the converter determines if the motion is left to right or right to left and separates the eyes accordingly so you get 3D, and it's usually pretty good. So in movies with lots of sideways motion, the 3D can be quite accurate since it is easier to determine which objects are closer to the viewer(move faster) than objects farther away (objects at infinity hardly move). The best 2D-3D converter I've seen is the one used in PowerDVD.
Do you know of a video card or hardware that would help with the 2D-3D conversion?
bjones8103 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,496
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones8103 View Post
Do you know of a video card or hardware that would help with the 2D-3D conversion?
Most gaming graphic cards can handle conversion these days. Even laptops using PowerDVD.
3DBob is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 02-16-2020, 01:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Most gaming graphic cards can handle conversion these days. Even laptops using PowerDVD.
Thanks 3DBob

I am presently running a somewhat dated Asus gaming laptop with a Geforce GTX 860m card and playing with PowerDvd 19 which I just bought on Cyberlink's Valentines Day sale. The results are good but I'm looking for ways to improve on what I have. Lets face it, the studios are happy to let 3d die off and I'm not ready to accept that. I'm looking for consumer grade hardware to build a 2D-3D bluray upscaling computer that will give the best results. I've built a few gaming computers in the past but I've been out of the gaming (primarily flight sims) for a while now. I have a lot of catching up to do. The technology is there, it's just a matter of finding it and getting the best bang for the bucks.
bjones8103 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 02-16-2020, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,496
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 607
3DBob is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 02-16-2020, 02:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
@bjones8103 Try this forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...ter-computers/

These guys know everything!
Thanks! That's what I'm looking for.
bjones8103 is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 02-19-2020, 04:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Car67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Italy
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42
A solution is to sell your 2d copies after you get the 3d disc, which plays both in 2d and 3d (or the box contains two discs for 2d and 3d sometimes)

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, Sony BDP-S6700,
3D RF glasses: Epson, Samsung, Xpand. Fuji FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max, 3D Tablet F892B
YT 3D Video Library
Car67 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Source Components

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off