RED Hydrogen One Discussion Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By tomtastic
  • 1 Post By Worf
  • 1 Post By tomtastic

post #1 of 29 Old 12-02-2018, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 509
RED Hydrogen One Discussion Thread

RED Hydrogen One Discussion Thread

SPECS:

Anodized Aluminum Body (black), Anodized Aluminum Body (shadow), Titanium Body, Highly Limited Edition

All models are constructed of Aluminum or Titanium metal bodies, glass screen and a backplate made with Kevlar® fiber surrounding the lens area and Pogo Pin port.

Body:

Height: 164.78 mm (6.48in.)
Width: 85.71 mm (3.37in.)
Depth: 10 mm (.39in.)
Weight (g): 263g (292g for Titanium Body) (9.27oz./10.29oz.)

Screen:

5.7 inch 3D Display LTPS-TFT
16 Million colors
WQHD 2560 x 1440 x RGB, 515ppi
Gorilla glass

Cameras:

Main/rear camera: 12.3MP, f/1.8
2D stills @ 4056x3040
2D video @ 3840x2160
H4V stills @ 3840x2160 dual 8.3mp
H4V video @ 1920x1080 30p 12mbps
Front camera: 8.3MP, f2.0
2D stills & video @ 3840x2160
H4V stills @ 2160x3840 dual 8.3mp
H4V video @ 1920x1080 30p

Sound:

Deep Cavity Front Facing SpeakersA3D: Spatial Surround Sound
3.5mm headset jack

Capacity:

128GB Al models, 256GB Ti models 6GB RAM
Micro SD up to 512GB

Network & Connectivity:

aGPS with SUPL2.0
USB: USB Type C for charging and data
Bluetooth: BT5.0Wireless
LAN802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, 2.4GHz/5GHz, 2x2 MIMO

Sensors & Indicators:

Ambient Light & Proximity Sensor
Fingerprint Scanner
Accelerometer
eCompass
Gyro
Hall
LED Notification Indicator

Battery 4500 mAh

Support page (Main) Quick Start, User Manual, Forum

User Forum (Direct)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red-hydrogen-one-infographic.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	2490444  

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 12-10-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-02-2018, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved*** RED Hydrogen One Vs. HTC EVO 3D

***I ordered a EVO 3D off eBay for 20.00 to play around with so I will be comparing the old 3D phone to the RH1 when I get it in so I'll do a side by side comparison to the only product that directly compares to the RH1. I don't know if anyone else here has the RH1 yet, I decided to take a chance on it. It's not like there are any other true 3D cameras coming out and after playing with the old EVO 3D for a week I think if it's as good as that I would definitely want a 3D phone. More to come.

HTC EVO 3D (2011)

2x5mp main cameras
720p30 2D/3D 5mbps audio 63kbps
3D lenticular display 4.3 inch 540 x 960 resolution
Dual-core 1.2 GHz Scorpion
6 ozs. (a bit heavy for it's size)

There weren't too many 3D phones released and none recently. There was also the LG Optimus 3D about the same time with similar specs. So this is actually a pretty cool phone, I think I would have liked to have owned it back then, but now of course it is too late. It's too old, mine has Android 2.3 on it, what it shipped with and only will take 4.0. Not to mention it's Sprint which I am not a customer and don't want to change carriers. This was really just to test out the screen and cameras and see what kind of 3D you get with the screen and if it's usable for photos or 3D video.

I found one major issue with the lenses and that is they are out of alignment which causes one image to be approx. 50 pixels lower than the other. This vertical alignment issue was not caused by damage which I thought at first but this is actually how many were sent out with apparently no fix from manufacturer. So you either need to tear it down and reposition the lenses or you have to fix every 3D still and video in post. Doesn't sound like much fun.

One other issue with the lenses is they tend to pop in and out of focus which they do that independently so it gets out of sync when that happens when shooting video.

Quality of 3D files. Stills. Not that great. They're 5mp images but they're heavily compressed, less than 1mb files. On the phone this doesn't look too bad but anywhere else it will likely look a little too watered down. Video, actually not too bad for what it is, which is only 720p and 5mbps. I put the quality better than the Fuji W3 but still less than the Panasonic 3D1. The 720p from the Evo 3D is actually quite a bit better than the Fuji but 720p doesn't quite touch the 1080 from the 3D1. So if you're looking for a cheap 3D camera/phone this is actually not a bad option. You can get these for under 50.00 on ebay. Now I've read the LG didn't have the alignment issue so that's another option but I haven't seen those for under 100.00. At that much I don't think it's worth it given the quality.

Screen. This is the best feature. Everything looks great on it! Stills, not bad even the ones it compresses to death, although they need alignment adjustment. Video, same thing, alignment but since the screen is less than 720p resolution it shows both stills and video in 3D pretty well. 3D effect. The lenticular display is similar to the 3DS or the Fuji's screen but the difference is that it's bigger 4.3" plus it can show video unlike the Fuji which is only for stills.

You can load up 3D mpo's, which are what the camera stores 3D files natively, from the 3D1 or Fuji and they look great, better than the built in cameras of course. Viewing angles are limited. Really only straight, dead center and not too much up or down. 1ft to 2ft range. A micro SD card is required to take images or video and I just used that to transfer content over. SBS video from the 3D1 looked very good on it as well a SBS video I made from the TD10.

Youtube unfortunately, I can't play any 3D there from the phone. The app is too old and from the browser it just plays in 2D. Have to have files locally.

Bottom line: for a cheap, throwaway device, small, portable, glasses-free 3D image that even with low resolution screen displays content very nice in SBS mode and mpo files. Pop out, if any is present can be distinguished up to .5" from screen, maybe a bit more. Overall, it looks very good even today even if the cameras aren't usable. I picked it up mainly as a curiosity and to see if getting a new phone with 3D would be something that I would want. I plan on throwing a bunch of mpo's and SBS videos on it for sharing, but don't plan on using it much beyond that.

I'm going to leave this review right here as just the review on the old HTC EVO 3D and continue my experience with the RED Hydrogen One below and I'll make some comparisons there.

Last edited by tomtastic; 12-05-2018 at 09:03 PM.
post #3 of 29 Old 12-02-2018, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved* RED Lucid (Lithium) 3D Camera

*announced in May, posted this in other thread awhile back, some more limited info on it. This is a dual camera beam splitter. Will use the RH1 as a monitor and UI. Other details include: dual 4K streams that convert to 4v on the fly but able to store the stereo pair as the master. Variable I.O. 6x zoom, AF, hand control for MF, iris, zoom. No word on price but I read somewhere maybe in the 10k range. Uhh, well it's RED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90515ad559b2060ecc3d203e8479971179fd32cb.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	2490586  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 12-02-2018, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What is H4V?

Taken from H4V.com:

"With 4-View (H4V) you have a viewing experience that’s better than 3D and without glasses. The nano-photonic light field display allows for the generation of dynamic light fields through the LCD panel providing new opportunities for naked-eye 3D."

The H4V file extension has actually been around for years, it seems they're just reusing it now as it hasn't been used for anything other than video game file components for video scenes. So .h4v is being dusted off for the holographic display.

H4V is really just encoded h.264 with embedded metadata for 2 additional views for their screen. The stereo files are saved as 3840x1080 in side by side fashion which give you 2x 1920x1080 files encoded at 12mbps for video and 96kbps for audio.

For stills the files can be accessed as jpgs in the same layout. The rear cameras save as 7680x2160 (dual 3840x2160 stereo images). The front are the same but in portrait layout. So even though the front cameras are 12mp they crop the sensor for 16x9 images in 2D and 3D. This is similar to what the 3D1 and Fuji W3 do because they all use 4:3 1.33 ratio sensors. The difference over those is the RH1 can save 8.3 mp images in 16x9, the Fuji W3 7.2mp, the 3D1 6mp. Image quality is noticeably better in stills and indoor shots especially have better low light improvement.

Video is of course better than both of those. The Fuji's 720p video isn't even worth mentioning it's so bad, I have SD cameras that look better. But the RH1's dual full HD streams come out better than the 3D1 even with the lower bitrate. Lack of I.S. is a problem though so it would need a stabilizer or just for planted shots.

One great thing about the RH1 is loading native 3D content onto the device, not just shooting H4V content. But what I have discovered is results vary on showing images. Because of the unique display on the RH1 stereo video and stills must be organized in the layout it can recognize.

For adding native 3D content to the RH1:

3D video:

left | right

This part is easy. For taking native stereo 3D content you just use side by side format which is 50% reduction in horizontal (width) resolution. If you've upload 3D YT content you already know what this is. In the file name you simply add _2x1 before the file extension.

Now there is a bit more on this because it actually gets more complicated with shooting h4v content in that the layout for the QHD display (quad) is really two stereo images plus 2 additional views. One for far left, left, right and far right. For creating CG, games, apps, it's really more involved here because you have to picture 4 cameras aligned in parallel, that's the general idea I believe. But for native 3D content, the 2x1 format is all you need to know.

Now what I found so far is that for native stereo 3D loaded in side by side is that by default the 3D effect on the RH1 is set to 80%, this can be adjusted by simply swiping the screen down or up. I found that lowering it to 20% greatly improved the background by reducing crosstalk. There seems to be too much positive disparity in the background and either the display can't handle it, or because of the addition 2-view conversion it's over adjusting there. I don't know exactly what's going on but it just looks better to drop it to 20%.

Stills:

For stills there are 2 methods.

Method 1: (with on board conversion 2 additional views)
The _2x1 format is just like above with video. You reduce the width by 50% of each stereo pair and store the image as a _2X1.jpg. That's it.

left | right

Method 2:
4-View direct, no conversion.
Here you bypass the on board conversion and provide the additional 2 views directly
Each image is reduced by 50% width same as method 1, but here you must lay out each image like the following in one single image file:

left | left
right | right

Then you add _2x2 before file extension

So you reduce the width by half for left/ right images and just double paste them together in this fashion. I'm currently doing this in Photoshop, maybe someone knows of an easier way. It's not difficult but time consuming. Hopefully, we'll get an app to convert these soon, even better direct support for mpo files.

Results for stereo images:

They vary. What's best is when you don't have too much neg. parallax. We know what crosstalk is and this screen is not immune to it. I've taken some images with the RH1 that show crosstalk on the screen and those same images show up great with no crosstalk on my oled. This is still backlit technology so it's going to have its limits. I'm already finding the limits and that's basically what you have to do. Don't go past what the screen can do. Some images I will say, taken natively with the RH1 can show a good deal of pop out. Remember crosstalk is a timing issue and high contrasting images will show crosstalk. So results will vary, some images will work better than others. I should add here that if crosstalk is a problem on images taken with RH1 the images can be easily adjusted to remove the neg. disparity using the h4v depth control. This will lessen the pop out effect but show the image easier on the screen.

For native stereo images, again, with the Fuji and it's wide 75mm stereo base, close up shots with that camera are usually a problem. Closer stereo base cameras like 3D1 will probably work better and landscape shots from the Fuji.

So what happens when you have images that don't work well?

Taking an image from the Fuji W3, this is a medium close up, a rectangular display sign in front. If I use the 2x1 format, this is with onboard conversion. It will display the image so that all aspects of the image will display, without showing crosstalk. Unfortunately, the image is now distorted and shows some bending of the sign and lettering on the sign is now blurred as well.

In 2x2 format here it bypasses the onboard conversion so the image is no longer distorted, but the screen cannot show the image without crosstalk. No angle can show the image. Now I should also point out that I tested the same image on the old HTC Evo 3D which is a lenticular screen. It will also not show the image without crosstalk, only a display with low crosstalk capability can like oled or dlp technology will work with this image.

Again, the best results will be using images that are with less neg. disparity.

Last edited by tomtastic; 12-10-2018 at 12:35 PM.
post #5 of 29 Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Almost 2 days now with the new RH1. Shock, disappointment, problems, resolution of issues and now I'm getting what it is. Holographic? (insert the "whoa!" commercial here) I don't think anyone expected that really. What it is, is a portable, glasses-free 3D display. 4V is really just a way to display 3D content similar to what UltraD does with 2D plus depth and onboard conversion. I've got lots to report on the phone. Is it for stereo 3D content providers (the few of us there are)? Is it a 3D camera/camcorder? I'll be adding more info on it and my own experiences and let you all know for those of us that love watching 3D and those that like creating 3D, if this is something worth getting into. More to follow.
Don Landis and Car67 like this.

post #6 of 29 Old 12-06-2018, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Is the screen worth it? It's priced at the price of a top tier high end phone, but it's specs are basically what was in last years phone, so the only redeeming quality is the display....
Don Landis likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 12-06-2018, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Is the screen worth it? It's priced at the price of a top tier high end phone, but it's specs are basically what was in last years phone, so the only redeeming quality is the display....
It is pricey and some of the specs are older. From what they said it was too late to use the latest processors by the time they reached launch. This is a brand new phone from a camera company. You really can't look at it by the specs compared to the new iPhone or Galaxy Note or Pixel. If you're not interested in it for 3D, then I guess you can but you should still consider that this is a modular phone, you'll be able to add lenses to it for 2D (and many are buying this product just for that reason, not 3D), not sure about 3D add-on lenses though. Probably not, but there is that big beam splitter camera coming but too expensive, I think dual 4K cameras would look just fine on this screen even if not in sync.

I posted the same thing after the specs were announced noting, the lenses were too close together, the bit rate for 3D is too low, no 4K3D recording only 1080p, no 4K60 for 2D. And they've priced it out of the market for most. I'll go ahead and admit about 2 hours after I had the thing on, I was moving mpo files over and SBS video and what I saw shocked me and not in a good way, I was ready to ship the thing back but surprisingly, I still have it and I think I'm going to stick with it.

Also, this is a big and heavy slate. I'm not a fan of phablets but this is and I'm slowly getting used to it. I actually wanted to go smaller than my 5" phone on next upgrade but here I am so it's taking some time to adjust. Going to write up my experiences with it. You really can't go by the reviews, they tell you nothing about the screen really for 3D and 3D for those of us that know what real 3D looks like. Well, HOLOGRAPHIC, I guess is what they call it with the marketing fluff thrown on.

post #8 of 29 Old 12-06-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 587
I bought this from Haband a year ago and it does everything except take 3D pics, and has old Android OS. Shows both MPOs and SBS video that really look great when viewed about a foot or so away in glasses free 3D-- Paid less than $100 for it. .. https://www.haband.com/p/commander-3...8c75dedae1420c Doesn't look like they sell it now. It was an older tablet that sold for around $1,000 back in the 3D heyday, but never caught on. The reviews don't give it justice. When you get it to work (took me hours to figure out as there were few instructions), it really works well. The other tablet was the Rembrandt 3DTV Tablet--still see it on ebay. Reason I bring this up is there is only a couple of ways to visualize 3D off a phone or tablet and this really isn't new tech, except for the new volumetric algorithms that slice up the object into 3D maybe, but I don't want to spoil your party. I'm still open to being surprised and delighted .
post #9 of 29 Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry for the long post, tried to condense down my first 2 days with the RH1 and this post is for 3D people curious about the RH1 for 3D not really about how it compares to other latest phones which isn't really important to me. But I do compare it to the old HTC Evo 3D phone as far as the 3D screen is concerned.

I'm going to start by saying I can't think of another product that I've been this excited about for this long. And it's not quite what I expected but it's unique in its own way and I think it will be a fun tool for 3D. Just have to keep an open mind and keep your expectations in perspective.

Enter the Holodeck

audio sample from TNG (The bay doors are opening now and your eyes grow big and glaze over at what you see inside...)

It’s touted as HOLOGRAPHIC and 4V, well that all sounds high tech and wonderful. So is it all that? Beyond 3D? When you first see it are you just blown away by seeing something that should normally be impossible to see? Alien technology? Again, insert the "Whoa!" commercial here.

Well, we've all seen 3D before and this is basically just that. It's a glasses-free 3D screen. The talk about 4v it's basically just dual cameras (stereoscopic) plus 2 additional views that are generated to help create depth. But it is more than that too, because there's a lot going on that is helping the screen create glasses-free 3D and with fairly decent viewing angles. But don't expect your jaw to drop either. You've seen good 3D before with glasses and we've had good 3D with lenticular displays like the 3DS and this is basically a major step ahead that gives you glasses-free 3D without having to look at it dead center, although it really still looks best to me dead center but you can move the display around and you can still see that it's 3D. Plus it works in both orientations equally as well.

So is the 3D what you would call stereoscopically correct? Not exactly. This is really a combination of stereography and real time conversion and to be honest it doesn't always look like real 3D should but it's sort of a compromise because in order to deliver glasses-free 3D because what we've had before like lenticular it only works really well for one person and even then, not always that great. I think you have to curb your expectations to some degree. So you shouldn't consider this product a true stereoscopic 3D camera/screen.

It's nano-tech and diffractive light field technology and we’ve heard about lightfields before. There was this camera company called Lytro that came and went without really finding a market for it. Now we have a display using the same concept, and oh yeah, it’s sort of a light field camera too but more on that later.

So don't expect holograms or really anything coming out of screen much, but you can get some pop out 3D same as the EVO screen, actually even more. But right here we need to leave the holodeck.

Audio cue (holodeck doors closing).

Because this isn't Star Trek.

The Bad Reviews

I've seen so many reviews comparing this phone to other similarly priced phones which have 2018 processors which the RH1 does not but that really doesn't make any sense. Do those screens have 3D, do they have stereo cameras (although really close inter axial ones)? And that's why I picked up the old EVO for 20.00 off ebay, just to see how the tech has improved over the last 7 years and how native 3D files perform on both. Also to see personally if having 3D on a phone is really worth it before buying the RH1 because it is expensive. So I think it really only makes sence to compare it to that phone and the LG 3D phone from way back in 2011. Reviewers are comparing this to what's marketed at the same level but they don't really get it. This is really a flagship, prototype product and also because of H4V and the screen by Leia: a whole new era in glasses-free 3D.

The 3D phones before came and went pretty quick. Looking at what they had for 3D, I can see why. There was the camera, viewing your photos and videos and a game hub which is now defunct it seems. So those died with hardly a whisper. The RH1 is launching a new way of showing photos called Holopix, a Flicker for H4V photos. So far, they don't have anything for videos yet and YT, there's no support yet for 3D videos so hopefully that gets addressed because sharing h4v video would be really cool too.

Native 3D files supported, mpo and SBS results.

On the Evo I loaded up some mpo's which it reads natively. And I must say overall, they look pretty good. But not always. In some cases there's ghosting, the refresh rate is just too slow. Other times the 3D image just doesn't look right to me, like the left/right images are reversed but I know they're not. This happened in many images with lots of flowers through the frame. Somehow they just were hard to focus on for 3D, but then others looked very good. And the Evo is capable of decent popout 3D too given the right image for it. In some pics I could get what looks like 1/2" off the screen, though not too much more than that.

Overall, and I'm still testing mpo's on that phone too, it works for some and not so great on others, possibly some adjustment would help and you can adjust the parallax of the two images on the Evo without having to before hand on the phone even with images taken from the Fuji or the Pan 3D1 but in some cases, it didn't really help. 3D stills are difficult to get right sometimes and likely it's just not a great 3D image to begin with, this happens with stereo 3D. Could be too much screen violation or neg/positive parallax that isn't adjustable.

On the RH1, one of the first things I did, because I had been reading up on format for native stereo files was load up some 3D images from the Fuji and SBS video. This didn't go so well at first. So the Red Player doesn't accept mpo's natively (it's on their to-do list though so maybe at some point) so you have to convert images to SBS jpgs. So I did that manually in Photoshop, squeeze each image vertically and you have to add "_2x1" to the file name so Red Player can recognize the file as 3D and same with SBS video.

Now early on I had some trouble with some of my mpo files from the Fuji W3 which looked pretty bad but I noticed an update removed some of that issue and a major issue with imported SBS video from the Sony TD10 was corrected after discovering the SD card had become corrupted. And finally just today I got the system updates from ATT, so I'm current now which is really important with this thing.

Mpo's. It's hit or miss is what I'm finding. There's some conversion going on. It tries but it's not displaying things quite like they should be with native 3D. In one image, I have a sign that has lettering on it and on the right side of the sign it should be popping out of screen because it's angled closer. It actually seems to be warping the sides of sign backward a little and also the lettering is no longer clear because of this, although it's pretty small to read anyway. So in this image, not so great. On the Evo, well, it actually has trouble displaying the pop out part on the right side of screen, because there's a good deal of contrast difference. If you hold it just right you can just get the image to resolve and it shows up like it should though a little eye straining, it's about max pop out and appears out of screen about 1/2". On the RH1 it just doesn't work too well.

Another mpo I discovered doesn't look quite as bad. There's some popout displaying like it should even. It's not perfect like it would be on a traditional glasses 3D screen and not quite as correct as the Evo's lenticular display but decent. Results may vary. That is the key. There's some conversion going on, while you supply the 2 stereo views, it does on board processing for the other 2. Now that's with 2x1 format, but possibly if you format for quad, it might ignore the processing, but I haven't learned how to format that yet so possibly this could get better with mpo files.

I loaded up the same SBS video recorded on the TD10 that was experiencing issues before and it's not too bad I must say. I discovered that for imported SBS native video it looks better if you turn down the 3D effect from 80% (default) to 20% (lowest), this is done by swiping the screen down while playing video. That seems to improve the background with less to no crosstalk issues and the 3D effect is still pretty good. But could be you will have to adjust it for every video to see what looks better. Now I think what they need to do with native stills is also have this adjustment setting, which there isn't yet unless they were taken with onboard cameras. Then you could play around with the settings and make the images look a little better, possibly.

So there's some conversion going on, it's not what you would call 100% authentic as a glasses screen if we're referring to native 3D content your bringing into the phone. You can see that there's some compensation going on to achieve the 3D effect. But comparing it to the HTC Evo's lenticular screen, it doesn't always look great either. It doesn't resolve every mpo I've put on it, some were really hard to focus on, some even appear that look like the left/right frames are flipped and some have crosstalk issues. Also, the main disadvantage with lenticular is it's really orientation-specific. It sort of works in portrait mode, but there's some major rainbow effect going on. It's best in landscape to match the lenticular grid. The RH1 works in both landscape and portrait, although to see the images in full screen you'll need landscape unless they're taken in the portrait orientation. And the Evo is much slower at displaying 3D images. It' an old phone, what can you say?

Viewing angles.

Viewing angles are way better than the HTC Evo. On the Evo, while you can tilt the screen a little I would say it's possible to get 20 deg. viewing angle maybe, but it's not very comfortable and the 3D effect diminishes pretty quickly off center which is why I think it really only has one viewing angle: dead center for just one person.

The RH1, I don't know the exact viewing angle probably close to 90 degrees at least, beyond that probably not much. I would say 2 or 3 people could stand a couple feet in front of it and all would get their 3D view of it. As you turn the screen in your hands you can see the image shifting around as it is displayed differently for different angles to it. So you really don't want to turn the screen when you view it, that can be a little jarring if you do seeing parts of the image change, but just to see what it's doing, it's interesting.

The 3D effect? It's 3D, it's certainly capable of popout 3D too and quite a lot! More than the Evo and based on the physics and dimensions of the screen it should allow more. I can see at least 1" popout maybe a little more with some images. I tested this with a few stills so far. And one of the great things about it is you can change the disparity after you take the shot, less pop out or more. And you can get some decent macro shots with it too and fine tune them for the best depth and focus.

For stills what's really cool, is you can adjust focus, bokeh and depth after the shot is taken. Change it, change it back, save it as a new file so you don't replace your original, whatever. Remember Lytro cameras? They failed, but I think this is a neat add-on which the results can be seen right on the screen especially the 3d depth adjustment. Personally, I think the best 3D image is one with deep focus, no blurring or bokeh, but it's style and you can change it if you like.

For video, there only appears to be the 3D adjustment from 20-80%. So not as much post adjustment tools, at least for now.

Why the small interaxials?

The small stereo base, I noted the same thing and that was a major cause for concern but now I see it doesn't really matter with this product. It uses both left/right cameras but it also generates 2 artificial views to make the 3D image for the screen. Traditional stereoscopy is done with two lenses set a certain distance apart to create the illusion of depth, but you sort of have to throw all that out and realize this is a new ecosystem for creating 3D content that looks best on the Leia screen format and glasses-free.

Glasses-free is really a new frontier. I think about whether or not I would want this as a TV to display 3D movies. Well, first I don't think I really need to. While it would be nice to show off 3D without any glasses, if I'm going to sit through a 2 hour movie, it isn't hard to put glasses on and get the real 3D effect. But a phone? No way you're going to put on 3D glasses so you really have to accept that some things are going to be different and that's what this is. It's a new way to get people into 3D, creating 3D, sharing 3D content and doing it all in a much easier format than shooting 3D in the traditional way, which let's face it: is a lot of work.

I originally didn't understand the camera layout either. I read about the 4 views and saw the 4 holes on the front of this thing and thought it had 4 front facing cameras, well it does have 4 but it's two rear facing and two front facing. Then I thought the 2 front facing were the two on each side of the speaker. It's actually the two on the left of the speaker. Yeah, it's a measly 7 or 8mm stereo base on the front facing but this is actually fine for what the screen does and it's facing you so they need to be close. The primary cameras are 13.5mm stereo base. Overall, though because of the 4v it looks fairly convincing and having them further apart really isn't needed.

Current limits of stills and 3D video

Currently, the h4v stills can't be accessed in 3D outside of the camera. You'll only get the left view from the file. We're told there may be an app at some point to convert the file to stereo pairs at some point. For video, it's stored in .h4v which you just need to simply change to .mp4 and you have your stereo video images. It is in SBS but in 3840x1080 so that can be brought into your NLE, for instance in PD you would just select 3D type as SBS and should be ready to go. Video is only 12mbps encoded h.264. On screen this doesn't look too bad but when I set it up to play on my 4K 3D screen it could look better just with a higher codec. Obviously, 4K resolution in 3D would be nice but I don't think the processors are up to it. But I really hope we can get either h.265 25 mbps or as high h.264 as we can, 30-50mbps would be nice.

No I.S. built in so it will have to be stabilized. Judging the image quality of the stereo pairs, the images are full resolution 2x 1920x1080 which is actually higher than the little Panasonic 3D1 which was only half resolution SBS video and it's clearly better than that. I will say, it looks as good as the TD10 and maybe better, but again, the bit rate is only 12mbps and a bump here would really help. Also, off the Leia screen if you're playing on traditional screens then you will have the small stereo base to deal with so the 3D range is less.

The front facing cameras, it's in portrait orientation and they're lesser 8mp sensors so it wouldn't work for using those plus the even closer stereo base.

So there's other great things about the camera. It's modular. It will support 2D interchangeable lens and other add-ons. It's supposed to connect to the Lithium as a 3D display which is a beamsplitter rig for filming H4V content that is under development right now. I think that's great but probably not for the price point but it will shoot dual streams and you can use the files for stereo 3D too.

There's the Hydrogen Network which has a limited amount of H4V content to watch. Movies, documentaries, some are just real short pieces. I have 2 movies to download for free. Ready Player One and Fantastic Beasts. I tried out a few of the shorts, pretty cool.

Really hoping they add YT support and a content hub for sharing H4V video. That's one thing I really like about the RH1, it's a new ecosystem and it's all proprietary which usually not a good thing for developers but I do see this taking off and not here today gone tomorrow. I think they're just getting started. The H4V stills on Holopix, it's really cool to go through those. If you get a chance, go to a store that has the phone, ask to see it, hopefully they have one connected to internet and open the Holopix app and that really will show you the screen and what's it's all about.

Summary

This is really an easy way of creating 3D (or Holopix as they call it) and sharing content quickly as well as glasses-free 3D video which you could also pull the 3D video off and use it with your existing 3D cameras but keep in mind it's not stabilized, the bit rate is a little low plus the 13.5mm stereo base.

One of the best things about the RH1 is the support behind it. They are constantly updating it, repairing it, improving it and coming up with future requests and getting feedback from their user base. And the modular thing is very unique and it opens up a range of possibilities. The old 3D phones? Yeah, that was a fail from the start.

That's my take on it. Have to keep an open mind when you see it. Yes, glasses-free is kind of odd. I'm interested in seeing the Ultra D screens but I reserve the right to not like it for certain content, like movies, if it doesn't display things correctly or oddly, I may not be interested. I think if they have the viewing angles and for the living room to show it off, I could use it for certain content. With Ultra D it's 2D pus depth and with all of these glasses-free devices they look best when you create content in their native format. That's true on the RH1, it's probably true on the Ultra D and there's going to be more display options coming from Leia so the content on the RH1 should be directly compatible with those.

And I got 2 Holopix posted tonight, did a quick adjustment of background focus and changed the 3D convergence point and it was ready to post.

Last edited by tomtastic; 12-07-2018 at 12:10 AM.
post #10 of 29 Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can it play existing 3d video? I know it's for filming, but there's still a fair bit of 3d out there, and if it was able to play existing MVC or even 3d movies would definitely add utility.
post #11 of 29 Old 12-07-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Nice comprehensive review, Tom.

Would you compare the RH1 3D screen to the Sony TD-10? I understand from above review the RH1 may be a bit better for viewing angle but the TD-10, is it better for that realistic looking 3D image?

I have seen three generations of the Ultra D TV's and the last witness of them was much better than the earlier models. If you dig back in time on my YT channel you can see my attempt at video of the screens from Ultra D. I agree with you that putting on glasses for a long movie is not such a big deal to achieve really great 3D but a quick glance at a 3D screen on a camera is better glasses free.

As for the Red phone 3D camera, I just don't see this as a popular product other than a curiosity. I am really enjoying my iphone XS Max for adding 4K video with excellent stereo audio and HDR with image stabilization. It mixes very well with my AX53 and my GoPro Hero 7 cameras when I decide to do a 4K project. I am not an exclusive 3D videographer as you know. Personally, I don't see a compelling use for the Red Phone in my kit. So it remains as a curiosity.

For years I recognized the need for 3D stereography and soon saw the need for two types of production. One where the action always takes place to my FOV in front of me and another where action is happening everywhere around me at once. That's why I find I need both traditional twin camera 3D equipment and 360 VR 3D camera equipment. You state that the Red is a different type of 3D from traditional. It's not 360 VR 3D so how is it different from front action 3D? I was a little confused about that from your description. Maybe I need to see it to understand.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D; Apple TV 4K. Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #12 of 29 Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can it play existing 3d video? I know it's for filming, but there's still a fair bit of 3d out there, and if it was able to play existing MVC or even 3d movies would definitely add utility.
It can display side by side images and video, so as long as you convert to that format first and affix:_2x1 to the end of file, it will work. MVC is not going to work, have to convert that to side by side. I'm going to DL Ready Player One and see what I think from the Hydrogen network. They movies have been pre-converted to the format from what I understand.

For stills, the biggest thing is it didn't always work exactly like traditional 3D displays and I've only tested one or two videos so far. To me videos looked best turning down the 3D effect which helped the background and if there were more control for imported 3D stills this would greatly help.

post #13 of 29 Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

—Don, it's been awhile since I've upgraded phones (was still using a Galaxy S4 from 2013) and if the RH1 hadn't come along I probably wouldn't upgrade for another year or so. I've been a Mac user my whole life just haven't got on the iPhone kick yet but my wife is strictly iPhone and so I suppose I should have gone iPhone so I can stop getting haggled, oh well. The biggest challenge for me has been the size of it. I really wanted a smaller phone and I think they need to make a 4.7" screen next.

I think the biggest difference is that native 3D (imported 3D) don't display in the same fashion as traditional glasses screens. It really depends on the images too, some are better than others. Now, I'm still learning this and possibly there's a way to make it better too, but certainly content you shoot with the RH1 is going to look better because it's generating the additional 2 view data.

With the display on the TD10, Z10k, the Evo 3D phone, they work fairly well for showing stereoscopic 3D because they're displaying their own native content that works best on them so long as you're in the sweet spot. Now, I'm chatting with someone at Red support to see if it's possible to get native 3D stereo images to look better on the RH1 because if you think about it, it's not really all that different from shooting with the stereo cameras on the RH1, (lacking the data to produce the other 2 views) but it needs to be in the format that it understands too. So possibly, those images could look better. The easiest way to tell is with mpo's, I can load them on the Evo (lenticular) and do a side by side comparison.

Overall, I think the glasses-free 3D screen from Leia is vastly superior to that of lenticular. The viewing angles are better (usable) and this is really a big step forward. I'm downloading Ready Player One so I'll let you know what I think and try to visualize this as a much larger 65" screen too.

post #14 of 29 Old 12-07-2018, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, so I got some help with how to format native stereo stills onto the h4v format. I had used the 2x1 layout which is basically side by side but if you do that the conversion is going to generate 2 additional views and this changes your image so it doesn't look the way it should. So for stills it has to be in 2x2 layout which is a quad layout like

Quad H4V layout:
left | left
right | right

I did the layout in Photoshop and made the final jpg and added the extension _2x2 and this is so much better. Now it really depends on the shot. My first tests were stereos taken with the Fuji which is a really wide stereo base so there's some crosstalk in places but comparing it to the Evo's lenticular screen, it can't handle these same images either. Overall, I think this is really not too bad and with the right shots especially from the 3D1 where the stereo base is less or with shots on the Fuji where you don't have a lot of neg. parallax it will really look good.

I just prepared another shot from the Fuji and this one looks very clean with good depth throughout. I'm impressed.

Not what I'd really like is just for the Red Player app to read the files as quad to begin with, hoping they get this added soon. It's not difficult creating quad h4v from stereo mpo's but it is time consuming.

So video this is where it gets tricky, so the Leia screen is 4V so what I'm told is that you can create content in 4 parallel cameras basically, far left, left, right and far right. This is a multi camera way of displaying native content on the 4v screen similar to 360 VR 3D but for the RH1 screen. I was reading there might be screens with even more views, I don't know alot about that yet.

So with side by side video, it's just 2x1 format which means it's generating 2 additional views but I know you can adjust that right on the video from 20-80% and to me it looks best at 20% if it was filmed with stereo cameras not h4v. I tried a couple videos from the 3D1 which look pretty good on it I must say, the image quality plus the 3D are really good.

I downloaded Red Player One, I also asked if these are somehow optimized for quad h4v but he wasn't sure. I tend to think they're not from what I saw on screen with a quick assessment of that movie. So likely you could prepare your own files for watching, if you really wanted to.

So Ready Player One, it looks 3D, it didn't strike me as really deep or much pop out though. It's certainly not as good as what the screen can show. I suppose some movies will look better than others. And it doesn't seem you can adjust 3D effect on movies.

post #15 of 29 Old 12-07-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Tom, you're losing me on how the quad format is creating 3D but that's OK. It seems to me this RH1 system is not compatible in a 3D production job with other 3D cameras. At least not without a lot of tinkering with the files. Going the other direction, more tinkering for being able to use the screen. Seems too complicated for me.

But I appreciate your work with it.

Are you aware that there is a way to shoot 3D photos with the iphone that has face recognition, like the iphone XS? Facebook now has a way to access the depth map data and the photo to capture a 3D image and display it in the HMD, like their Oculus Go. While there is little range of popout the technology does work. There is also a way to shoot a 3D photo and display the result where you use the gyro in the phone to rotate the image on your screen for a 3D view as well but it is more like shooting video while circumventing the camera around the object. I don't see either of these has any practical production value but the technology is fascinating.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D; Apple TV 4K. Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #16 of 29 Old 12-07-2018, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Tom, you're losing me on how the quad format is creating 3D but that's OK. It seems to me this RH1 system is not compatible in a 3D production job with other 3D cameras. At least not without a lot of tinkering with the files. Going the other direction, more tinkering for being able to use the screen. Seems too complicated for me.
Yes, that's how I feel with VR.

At least right now it is more work for native 3D stills, but the phone's only been out for a couple months too. So I would suspect more is coming. The quad format isn't really creating 3D it's just to get the native 3D into the display so it doesn't generate the additional 2 views, but video is just SBS so that's easy. I do hope they get it so you can just dump a mpo file on the phone it would save a lot of work and I've found that the 3D image quality with a few pics has been outstanding. But I think this product isn't really specifically for stereo 3D people either but I've found it will work for that but it just depends. With some stills if there's too much disparity it will show ghosting but then again, it does that on the HTC Evo too, so it's better with images that don't pop out too far, have to be more conservative. I suspect the images from the 3D1 will be better given the closer I.A. on that camera.

And I believe Leia will be releasing other display devices too where content will be compatible even TVs so I think that this is really good news for 3D. I hadn't seen any glasses free tech aside from the older lenticular displays and those are only viewable dead center really. What this does is put glasses free 3D in your living room (right now just on your phone) and I am certain this is the only return for 3D. There will be no more glasses screens coming. The manufactures have stopped making those and the only way back for 3D is to remove the glasses. I've been very skeptical whether or not glasses-free 3D is convincing enough, will it replace our glasses screens or not, but seeing native 3D content on this phone is possible, not just native h4v content either.

With one 3D still from the Fuji I found it is as good as viewing it on my 65" oled. Now video is different and I haven't checked enough only maybe 3 or 4 different files so I don't want to get ahead here. The good thing with video is all you have to do is add _2x1 to the file name and it will work. Stills, take more work for now, I won't be converting my whole library, I'll just do a few for now, hopefully we get an app or direct support for mpo on the phone at some point.
Don Landis likes this.

post #17 of 29 Old 12-08-2018, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I suppose a big question really is how compatible the formats are with Red's own tools and workflow. I can't imagine all this is brand new and developed exclusively for the H1. I suppose the oddity in formats is because they're just using what they use when you use their cameras (which have their own format as well) which requires their own tools to be inserted before the regular post production workflow to "standard 3d". Does it come with any tools?

And yes, I am genuinely curious, even though I'm not sure when we're supposed to get it.
post #18 of 29 Old 12-08-2018, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Right now there's not a whole lot of tools to work with. Built in, the tools for photos and video is pretty basic, which the reviews mentioned but they're supposed to release a more advanced version later.

The other big thing missing is 3rd party support for h4v editing, which they're supposed to be adding to Premiere at some point. So right now you can't do anything with the holo files outside of the phone, it will loose the metadata when you re-render them.

They have Holopix for sharing photos but nothing for the video side of things. They really need support for h4v for YT and an app to link to videos maybe call it Holovidz or something. Also support for existing YT 3D, side by side and top/bottom would be nice. But it's only been out for a couple months.

post #19 of 29 Old 12-09-2018, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So you can get the dual image stills out of the RH1 after all. So I went and imported a bunch of stills and video and made a SBS video with both combined and played it on my 65" oled. Overall, the stills are very good, but as you might imagine the 3D falls flat pretty quick past 10 feet. It's really good up close, you can use it real close about 1' away with the main cameras and I think less than half that with the front cameras. The convergence point seems to be around 2.5'.

The stereo base for the main cameras are only 13.5mm and the fronts are 7mm, if you can get objects to focus you can get pretty close macro 3D. The only problem with front cameras is it's portrait orientation. Image quality of stills is very good. It's 8.3mp for each eye. 2x3840x2160 left/right jpg. Compared to 7.3mp with the Fuji W3 and 6mp with the 3D1 so overall it can best those cameras. Video quality looked decent too despite it's only 12mbps but it's full 1920x1080 per eye so it looks better than 3D1 and pretty close to the TD10, maybe just as good although the TD10 has image stabilization and the RH1 doesn't.

Now I should note that crosstalk is a problem on LCD type displays with 3D and high contrasting scenes. In a few images shown on the RH1, I get crosstalk if I try to have any pop out effects. On the oled the same stereo images showed very cleanly with a large amount of disparity. Some images resolve better than others on the display but clearly you don't want large disparity with contrasting images on the RH1.

Now that's basically how it looks with the files off the phone without using the h4v meta data and 4view screen. On the screen there's onboard conversion going on so the images do look better on the RH1 and that's why there's the close stereo base because it isn't really needed, or so they say.

post #20 of 29 Old 12-14-2018, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well if they lowered the price about 1 grand I just do not understand why these phones cost so much money these days.. have I missed the memo as to why it is?

My Humble HT: Integra 40.3 Audyssey Calibrated / Denon 1930Ci SACD/DVD-A Player / Sony 3600 3D blu Ray / Behringer iNuke 3000DSP / Mach 5 IXL 18.4 Subwoofer / Optoma HD142x 3D REady 1080P DLP Projector / 92" 16:9 Manual screen / miniDSP HD2x4
post #21 of 29 Old 12-14-2018, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I ended up sending mine back. Had issues with anyone being able to hear me on the other end. I called their support they had me check the signal strength and it was about -15dBm lower than my 5 year old Galaxy phone, so I'm back to my old phone which people can finally hear me again. I know they built it as a camera that's also a phone but I need to be able to makes calls on it and no one could hear me on it and support told me it wasn't the phone it was the signal. Right, well I took a photo of the two phone's signal rating side by side in the same location showing the big difference in signal, I need to send that to them still. Just a little irked by all that.

I think on the 3D, there's a reason the lenses are so close and that's because they probably experimented with them further apart but I'm guessing the screen will not resolve the image because it will show crosstalk on subjects when closer than 5 feet, so they put the lenses at 13.5mm and that brings the convergence point to approx. 2ft., yes the convergence point just 2 feet away so normal shooting with subjects 5 feet away are already in the positive depth plane, and the end of the depth plane is probably 8 feet no more. With 30-45mm you would have a convergence about 4-7ft and depth back to probably 15ft or more.

So the measly 13.5mm stereo base, it makes it easier to display because the screen is limited in what it can show in pop out and positive parallax. Also, when you take a still shot, if you're close enough to have negative parallax like under 1.5ft the camera fuses the image together and removes any popout 3D, you can then adjust it back later but not to where you really took the image, again, it's doing some sort of compensation with the 2 views so it can display it safely. That's one of the most frustrating things with it, the image that's shown in the display is not the image that's taken and I find that misleading and fake. The back end conversion is really just a compensation for the screen it what it's limited in showing.

They designed a screen that has better viewing angles than lenticular but there's less 3D effect overall. I find that the lenticular screen on the old HTC One actually performs better, not perfect, but it can show more neg/positive disparity without crosstalk. The drawback is the viewing angle is really only best strait on, but it's not like I would really use the H1 in any other viewing angle either.

So the claims that it's better than 3D and holographic: false. The 3D is nowhere near as good as glasses screens and viewing it straight ahead the old HTC Evo can actually resolve stereo 3D images with wider stereo base easier than the RH1. I have some that are too close for both cameras, but I have some that will resolve on the Evo and not even close on the RH1. So they say go look at Holopix, yeah I've seen those images and there's a couple of things to remember. 1, not all the images there are taken with the RH1. I've seen some that were taken with other cameras. 2. The ones showing up are the best of the best with the most likes, so I would expect them to look the best on that screen, but what I notice is really just what we already know about 3D, you need sufficient spacing of the lenses for good 3D for your working distance. It's fine for macro, closer than 4ft, particularly 1.5-2.5ft and closer even because it merges the images, but those really close shots, only viewable on the screen.

The images I took of subjects 5-8 feet away, they looked like cardboard cutouts and a layered look. And looking in the background, just a flat image. The images looked mildly better on the RH1 screen, but not much. On my oled, they looked layered with not much depth.

So the RH1 it's only good for macro shots, when you have something up close 1.5- 3 feet and then background and some shots I did this way, again, crosstalk on the RH1's screen unless you remove most of negative parallax, but the same image on my Oled, perfect 3D image, but just close ups.

So I'm done with the RH1 for now. It's expensive, it's big, it's heavy, and it just has too many issues. I made a lot of accomodations because I wanted the 3D camera, 3D screen but it's really not worth it. The 3D video quality is better than 3D1 but not better than the TD10, because of no onboard I.S. so it's still low end quality video for me with what I already have.

Uploading Holopix images, that might appeal to some, but this isn't good 3D, not when you know anything about 3D. So anyone that really wants to get this phone for 3D, good luck.

I also tried a couple movies on it, Ready Player One and Fantastic Beasts, underwhelming performance because of the screen. I did a comparison of making my own side by side and the one on their Hydrogen Network and I couldn't tell any difference so I don't think there was any special conversion for their 4 view screen. If you travel a lot, it might be nice to have a 3D movie there, it's 3D. I can see it's 3D but not very much popout and not very deep image.

I also noticed that the 3D effect adjustable from 20-80%, at 80% it's too much for side by side, you can see crosstalk in background, but i found that at a distance of arm's length you can turn it up to 80% and the crosstalk goes away. But this is much further than you would normally view.

Then there's the module side of this product which I understand even less. I was only interest in the 3D on this phone, but some are buying it for the 2D module. So you're paying a heck of a lot for a phone and then you're going to spend another large sum on an add on device to the back that supports interchangeable lenses. After all that why not just buy a DSLR? You'd have a much better camera that way, not to mention more available lenses.

So I'm out. If anyone has it and wants to continue the discussion, please take over. Maybe they'll release a 5" version or smaller that you can actually hold and use easier and one with a proper stereo base on it and fix the signal issues so people can hear you on the other end.

Last edited by tomtastic; 12-14-2018 at 07:59 PM.
post #22 of 29 Old 12-15-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 587
If you're struggling with it, I can't imagine how the average non-tech person would deal with it. Their support phone would be ringing off the hook most of the time I think. I always think these poor implementations of a good idea (not poor really, just too early in their tech cycle of getting it perfect) create more backlash to 3D, then push it forward. Will be interesting to see what pops up at CES next year.
post #23 of 29 Old 12-15-2018, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

On the signal problem, this is really is unacceptable so I had no choice, but I suppose coming from a company's first phone maybe that's to be expected. Hopefully that gets sorted out because telling me the problem is the signal and not the phone when side by side there's a 15dBm difference between my 5 year old phone and the H1 in the same location, obviously it's the phone.

On 3D, I think it's actually for people who don't know as much about 3D and are fine with just taking pictures and uploading. To me, the longer I viewed it the more I could see that the dual lenses are really just too close afterall, and the screen's limitations of displaying pop out 3d is a result of that decision to go with a macro placement of the lenses. It's fine for macro 3D, but average shooting which is what the rear cameras should be for, suffer as a result.

I tried to imagine what this screen would be like on a larger scale, say a 65" screen in your living room. And the company that makes the screen, Leia, is supposed to be releasing other devices with this screen tech in the future so I tried to imagine distance and scale.

I think it would work, but bottom line: it's weaker at 3D than really any other screen I've seen because of crosstalk. It simply can't handle neg. parallax. So if they take this screen and just make it larger, it would work in your living room. The viewing angles are actually pretty good, about 90 degrees and I think that's fine, you really shouldn't sit any farther than that anyway for a good seat to the screen. It's 3D, but to me it seems there's a layering effect going on. It can show some pop out but it sort of gets blurry and out of focus when it does and there's just a very limited range of popout before you get crosstalk, same with positive into the rear of the screen. And this is still backlit tech, well edge-lit I guess really but it's simply too slow to perform any better.

So if you have an oled 3D TV, better hold on to it. I think for casual 3D in living room, it might work for some, but crosstalk could be a major issue viewing native content. The on board conversion is likely going to reduce the 3D effect to compensate for what the screen can safely show so it may not show crosstalk but your 3D is reduced as a result. It brings glasses-free 3D, but at a limited 3D effect.

post #24 of 29 Old 01-20-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Tom,

Here's a very quick amateur 23sec video I shot and modified to work on my oled in sbs mode.... Hopefully the Mod will still work or won't be needed at all, when the H4V format is finalized for Hologram viewing.

Last edited by EyElouPeS; 01-20-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #25 of 29 Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the olllldddd LG Thrill 3D cellphone.
Comparing that to this new Red Hydrogen 1, one noticeable advantage over the new Hydrogen 1 is that the LG Thrill

was able to convert any video / movie to 3D. The built-in video viewer provided a little depth for 3D viewing but not too great. However, when I viewed 3D images from apps in the app store or online, it provided GREAT depth.

As for the Hydrogen 1, I tested it in an AT/T store. It provided great depth. However, based on the specs and from what a Red representative told me, it doesn't convert videos to 3D. You only view videos / pictures in 3D that were shot or captured in 3D. As such, contents are sorely limited as we all know, 3D didn't catch on as well as we all would have liked.

Maybe there's a 3D viewer app in the app store that allows you to convert any video / movie to 3D. Until then, I don't think I would spend this much money on such a limited device.
post #26 of 29 Old 02-27-2019, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker1999 View Post
I have the olllldddd LG Thrill 3D cellphone.
Comparing that to this new Red Hydrogen 1, one noticeable advantage over the new Hydrogen 1 is that the LG Thrill

was able to convert any video / movie to 3D. The built-in video viewer provided a little depth for 3D viewing but not too great. However, when I viewed 3D images from apps in the app store or online, it provided GREAT depth.

As for the Hydrogen 1, I tested it in an AT/T store. It provided great depth. However, based on the specs and from what a Red representative told me, it doesn't convert videos to 3D. You only view videos / pictures in 3D that were shot or captured in 3D. As such, contents are sorely limited as we all know, 3D didn't catch on as well as we all would have liked.

Maybe there's a 3D viewer app in the app store that allows you to convert any video / movie to 3D. Until then, I don't think I would spend this much money on such a limited device.
It doesn't work with YT 3D videos the last time I used it, back in December. You wouldn't want to convert 2D to 3D, wouldn't look good, but you can load any video on it in 3D, will have to convert it to side by side first. But results vary on how it will look on the screen.

post #27 of 29 Old 03-09-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I'm back. Pickup up a used, unlocked H1 on eBay for a lot less than new price. I miss the 3D screen. I know it's not perfect for what I was hoping but it's far better than anything else which is zilch in the 3D department. I will just have to work within its limits.

The cool feature is always having a 3D camera as long as I have my phone. I see there was an update for the video specs, originally it was 12mbps h.264 for both full frame views now you have options up to 40mbps. I haven't tested the improvement but it should hold up much better now. Unfortunately, no built-in I.S.

If anyone has questions on this lonely 3D product, let me know.

Last edited by tomtastic; 03-09-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #28 of 29 Old 03-10-2019, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So what happened to your other H1 Tom?
post #29 of 29 Old 03-10-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So what happened to your other H1 Tom?
Returned it. I only had it for about 10 days with a 15 day return window IIRC with ATT, had to pay a restock fee. It seems the call issues are resolved now. I can hear everyone just fine and they can hear me. So it was either a lemon or something got fixed in a later update between then and now.

I still think the price for this phone is out of this world plus the large size is going to keep most away. And it's not an iPhone, lol. But on the price I also think any phone more than 3 digits is just too expensive. So a used, unlocked phone is fine for me.

Some important updates are still missing, like YT 3D support. Would be nice to just open YT and have 3D, but still only way to view 3D is with side by side renders and move the files to the device. I think this should be given priority to broaden content for the Leia screen. They release updates about every other Tues. so maybe it's coming.

Quite a few movies now up on Hydrogen website but I did a test while I had the first phone with their copies of Ready Player One and Fantastic Beasts vs. my own side by side versions from blu ray 3D and I couldn't tell a difference on the screen accept that on their files you couldn't adjust the 3D and on mine you can by default with any side by side file.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page