Copies of 3D Blu-Rays saved in .iso format don't play in 3D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Don Landis
  • 1 Post By Don Landis
  • 1 Post By Actionable Mango
  • 1 Post By brazen1
  • 1 Post By Jet-X

post #1 of 17 Old 03-05-2019, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Copies of 3D Blu-Rays saved in .iso format don't play in 3D

Hi,

Copies of 3D Blu-Rays saved in .iso format don't play in 3D but just in ordinary format (DVDFab ver. 11).
The iso file sits on a QNAP NAS. Trying to play from there with the built-in Kodi version 17 player doesn't work, neither does it through my "MINIX NEO X8-H Android 4.4 Smart TV Box 4K 3D Blu-ray ISO Streaming Media Player Mini PC Amlogic S802-H Quad Core Cortex A9r4 Processor 2GB Ram16GB" with the built-in Kodi version 16 player.
The video signal goes through my Denon 4520 to my 3D LG TV. It all goes fine from my Hardcopy Denon Blu-Ray player through the same setup.
Any suggestion how I can play it? Do I need to buy another hardcopy media player or install another piece of software or?

Thank you kindly for any help.

Cheers
Caesar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-05-2019, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Try Cyberlink Power DVD. Last I checked it played 3D iso files in 3D just fine. But those were created from Cyberlink Power Director.
-Caesar- likes this.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #3 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Try Cyberlink Power DVD. Last I checked it played 3D iso files in 3D just fine. But those were created from Cyberlink Power Director.

Hi Don,

Thank you for yoru suggestion.
But I don't want to play the files from a PC but from either my QNAP NAS or from my Minix media player (Android version). SO I guess that would not work...

Cheers
Caesar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

No, it won't.

I know there was an older Oppo Blu Ray player. BD-93 that played 3D iso files when it first came out but within a couple months they were sued and forced to push a firmware update to all BD-93's that were connected to the internet that disabled that feature. To my knowledge there are no media player devices that allow iso files, only PC players and not that many. It's why so many install Home theater PC's to access stuff like this. I installed a stick PC with windows 10 just to get Google Chrome browser in my HT. I rarely use it. https://www.amazon.com/Azulle-Access...8-2-spons&th=1

Out of curiosity, several years ago I experimented with a media player from HiMedia that worked. But to get around the problems, I had to feed the video via an RGB converter with analog audio it was a real kludge of hardware and temperamental to get setup. But that worked some of the time.
-Caesar- likes this.

Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #5 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
No, it won't.

I know there was an older Oppo Blu Ray player. BD-93 that played 3D iso files when it first came out but within a couple months they were sued and forced to push a firmware update to all BD-93's that were connected to the internet that disabled that feature. To my knowledge there are no media player devices that allow iso files, only PC players and not that many. It's why so many install Home theater PC's to access stuff like this. I installed a stick PC with windows 10 just to get Google Chrome browser in my HT. I rarely use it. https://www.amazon.com/Azulle-Access...8-2-spons&th=1

Out of curiosity, several years ago I experimented with a media player from HiMedia that worked. But to get around the problems, I had to feed the video via an RGB converter with analog audio it was a real kludge of hardware and temperamental to get setup. But that worked some of the time.
Hi Don,

Thanks again.

Dune4k Pro or nvidia Shields claim they can play the .iso 3D files fine.
Have you ever looked at them?

Cheers
Caesar
post #6 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Caesar- View Post
Hi Don,

Thanks again.

Cheers
Caesar
It looks like your media box doesn't support 3D ISO playback:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...on-t-walk.html

You've got a few options:

If you just want to play 3D ISOs, my Zidoo Z9S will play them. You can see tested list of compatible file formats here:
https://www.cdrinfo.com/d7/content/z...-review?page=3

If you don't want to spend any money, you can install Plex server on your QNAP and use Plex app from the LG app store directly on your TV. It is nice to use a built-in app because there is no media player box needed at all and you just use your TV's remote. However, there is a pretty big drawback--you will need to convert your ISO files to LG3DTV-compatible MKV files and it can take hours for your computer to convert a single movie. Still, if you like the end result, there are instructions here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/191-3...-playback.html
Might be worth trying with a single movie to see how you like it. At least everything is free.

Can't speak for Dune--I have no experience with that.

I do have an Nvidia Shield, but it won't play ISOs at all (out of the box). Apparently there are ways around that, but I don't have time for another project. Too many already.
Car67 likes this.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 03-06-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Do yourself a favor. Use a PC for iso's with PowerDVD so you get full menus. You can take it a step further and launch PowerDVD from Kodi so you have a nice library to catalog your collection. You can also add additional free players/components like MPC-HC/BE with Lav Filters and perhaps madVR for higher quality playback of main movie only titles that are iso friendly too. As mentioned, you can always destroy the integrity of your perfect 1:1 backup and transcode your MVC frame packed 3D iso into a SBS/TAB mkv. After the mutilation you can play it using anything because it's really just a dual framed 2D movie at that point. Fwiw, most prefer doing this and find it advantageous in its simplicity.

P.S.
This will also open the door for you regarding 4k UHD HDR playback and every other format and container when/if you desire if you haven't already. If you're subscription based for streaming and quality, availability, compatibility and ownership are not important, an array of various streaming devices would be a better choice.
-Caesar- likes this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W

Last edited by brazen1; 03-06-2019 at 12:48 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Preditor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Hi Don,

Thanks again.

Cheers
Caesar

Using a Dune HD 303D and a Zappiti 4K and both play 3D ISOs (the Dune will not launch menus, just the 3D file)
-Caesar- likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
You've got a few options:

If you just want to play 3D ISOs, my Zidoo Z9S will play them. You can see tested list of compatible file formats here:
https://www.cdrinfo.com/d7/content/z...-review?page=3

If you don't want to spend any money, you can install Plex server on your QNAP and use Plex app from the LG app store directly on your TV. It is nice to use a built-in app because there is no media player box needed at all and you just use your TV's remote. However, there is a pretty big drawback--you will need to convert your ISO files to LG3DTV-compatible MKV files and it can take hours for your computer to convert a single movie. Still, if you like the end result, there are instructions here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/191-3...-playback.html
Might be worth trying with a single movie to see how you like it. At least everything is free.

Can't speak for Dune--I have no experience with that.

I do have an Nvidia Shield, but it won't play ISOs at all (out of the box). Apparently there are ways around that, but I don't have time for another project. Too many already.

Thank you kindly for your help.
I really would like to play the 1:1 .iso version with audio pass-through and not mocking around with any mkv conversion.

Someone on Amazon said the nvidia Shield would playback 3D iso files fine. Maybe they were converted into a different format?

Regarding the Dune: someone mentioned in another thread:

From the Pro 4K spec......
Hi-End media player:

Play Hi-End file formats (including BD ISO, BD3D ISO, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos, SACD) from any source (including NFS and SMB)

I hope it does? Then the Dune would be my option.
Or any other solution without putting a PC up?

Thanks again.

Cheers
Caesar
post #10 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Do yourself a favor. Use a PC for iso's with PowerDVD so you get full menus. You can take it a step further and launch PowerDVD from Kodi so you have a nice library to catalog your collection. You can also add additional free players/components like MPC-HC/BE with Lav Filters and perhaps madVR for higher quality playback of main movie only titles that are iso friendly too. As mentioned, you can always destroy the integrity of your perfect 1:1 backup and transcode your MVC frame packed 3D iso into a SBS/TAB mkv. After the mutilation you can play it using anything because it's really just a dual framed 2D movie at that point. Fwiw, most prefer doing this and find it advantageous in its simplicity.

Thank you too for your help.
I don't have the space to set up a full PC just for that one issue. Are there any mini-PCs which would fulfill the specs required by PowerDVD or is there a PowerDVD Android version which I could install on the Minix I already have or a higher specked mediaplayer?

Money is not the issue. I just don't want to mock around with another conversion but would like to have it as simple as possible with the highest possible quality for my Highend HIFI system with audio pass-through and the least possible connection points.
Any other mediaplayer which has the player installed already since Kodi is unable to fulfill what I want?

Or maybe there is another NAS with something built in which can do all of that (play flac files, Blu-Ray iso files etc)?

Cheers
Caesar
post #11 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-X View Post
Using a Dune HD 303D and a Zappiti 4K and both play 3D ISOs (the Dune will not launch menus, just the 3D file)

Hi Don,

Thank you kindly.

I can't find either of them on Amazon. If those outdated players can play 3d mvc iso files, why not the newer much advanced players?

Cheers
Caesar
post #12 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Thank you kindly for your help.
I really would like to play the 1:1 .iso version with audio pass-through and not mocking around with any mkv conversion.

Someone on Amazon said the nvidia Shield would playback 3D iso files fine. Maybe they were converted into a different format?

Regarding the Dune: someone mentioned in another thread:

From the Pro 4K spec......
Hi-End media player:

Play Hi-End file formats (including BD ISO, BD3D ISO, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos, SACD) from any source (including NFS and SMB)

I hope it does? Then the Dune would be my option.
Or any other solution without putting a PC up?
Was there something you don't like about the first option I mentioned? It would seem to do what you were asking for.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 03-06-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Hi Don,

Thanks again.

Cheers
Caesar

No. I have my solution that works but I'm happy to learn there is a backup out there that isn't being shut down by the Blu ray group with a law suit. I'll take leave and just learn from you all who discovered a new way.

post #14 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Preditor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Hi Don,

Thank you kindly.

I can't find either of them on Amazon. If those outdated players can play 3d mvc iso files, why not the newer much advanced players?

Cheers
Caesar
http://www.zappiti.com/index.html

Zappiti is not outdated. All the later Dunes play them too.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-07-2019, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Only problem with PowerDVD is it still supports cinevia so older movies may trigger it
post #16 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Only problem with PowerDVD is it still supports cinevia so older movies may trigger it
They have cinevia removal for file based use. For iso, the cinevia will not be an issue from media player, it only will effect Blu ray hardware players.

I use a KDLINKS A400 which plays 3D Blu ray iso's and runs Kodi. I have run into a problem though as support is not good when playing from other than internal drive. On connected storage the 3D iso will start to stutter. I have tried the same iso on the internal drive and it plays fine. I've tried several different enclosures, usb 2.0, usb 3.0 the drive is only 5400 rpm but that should be plenty fast.

One other issue is some movies have right view first so you will have to switch views in menu first. Other than that it's a really awesome player. Wish I could figure out the connected storage issue because I have too many iso's to place on a single volume.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 95
The problem is in Kodi and the built in media player of your qnap nas. I strongly suggest you not to use it since is not very good. Use an external media player instead as suggested, there are many on the market that can play 3dD iso fine but not the shield it will not play iso files.
If you really want the best get an Oppo player modified with a jailbreak firmware, it will play everything and more but you'll lose covers and "walls" to display titles (just the file names)..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page