Best Method for 3D MKV Playback - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Actionable Mango

post #1 of 11 Old 06-02-2019, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Best Method for 3D MKV Playback

I'm trying to find the best playback system for 3D MKV rips. I have a couple of older Mede8er players, but they don't handle Disney seamless branching titles well. Using PotPlayer with a PC seems to work in limited testing, although I'd rather have a simple set top box instead of a full blown PC for the job. I'm using Plex now (with a Synology NAS), but the nVidia Shield I love for 2D movies doesn't support 3D. I thought I heard mention of a Raspberry Pi (utilizing Plex) that can play MKV 3D rips, but I can't find any solid info on it. Any ideas?

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
I'm trying to find the best playback system for 3D MKV rips. I have a couple of older Mede8er players, but they don't handle Disney seamless branching titles well. Using PotPlayer with a PC seems to work in limited testing, although I'd rather have a simple set top box instead of a full blown PC for the job. I'm using Plex now (with a Synology NAS), but the nVidia Shield I love for 2D movies doesn't support 3D. I thought I heard mention of a Raspberry Pi (utilizing Plex) that can play MKV 3D rips, but I can't find any solid info on it. Any ideas?
Seems like most people use the Dune or Zidoo media players, both of which will play MVC MKV.

I figured out how to process MVC MKVs such that they would play in my TV's native Plex application, so no external box was needed at all. This makes for very high usability. Unfortunately it is a lot of work on the back end.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 06-03-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-03-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
TV's native Plex application,
Not sure HD audio would be supported that method. My Plex app is no longer supported on my TV's plus PS4 because they auto updated and now my server is too old so I went back to using a mac mini but just for 2D.

I can confirm my KDLINKS does not support MKV 3D files in MVC, only works with ISO files. MKV 3D support, probably best way is with PC. ISO method on my KDLINKS is pretty flawless as well as HD audio, only thing I need to get a bigger single volume since it won't play without stuttering with connected drive volumes. A design flaw of some kind because it should be fast enough over USB 3.0 or even 2.0. But that limits how many titles I can have on internal drive.

The easiest, bulletproof method with all 3D titles available (aside from playing from the disc) is when I was just ripping to half resolution files. I'm about ready to go back to that. Not looking forward to re-ripping my entire 3D collection though.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 06-03-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Not sure HD audio would be supported that method.
I actually use the Zidoo box with ISOs. I found myself spending too much time going down rabbit holes, and dealing with media was becoming a hobby unto itself. I want to spend my free time watching the media, not installing/configuring/managing/optimizing it.
ryudoadema likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I'll take a look at Zidoo and Dune. The Mede8er boxes work with iso or MKV files, and for most titles they're just fine with attached USB storage. Disney titles, though, don't play cleanly over the network or USB. I just discovered PotPlayer, and it supports 3D MKV MVC on my PC.

Joe Clark

post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5235 Post(s)
Liked: 5486
Quote:
Thanks, guys. I'll take a look at Zidoo and Dune. The Mede8er boxes work with iso or MKV files, and for most titles they're just fine with attached USB storage. Disney titles, though, don't play cleanly over the network or USB. I just discovered PotPlayer, and it supports 3D MKV MVC on my PC.
Joe, hi how are you it's been a long time. I am still big into 3D and still collect every title I can find.

I have the Dune 4K Pro and the Zidoo Z9s. I would pick up the Zidoo, it's less expensive and handles the 3D MKV files well. I posted some info about it with 3D here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57172388
post #7 of 11 Old 06-03-2019, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Joe, hi how are you it's been a long time. I am still big into 3D and still collect every title I can find.

I have the Dune 4K Pro and the Zidoo Z9s. I would pick up the Zidoo, it's less expensive and handles the 3D MKV files well. I posted some info about it with 3D here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57172388
Funny. I just went looking for you with a search here on AVS and noticed you'd responded to my question.

I take care of my mom, so I haven't had much time to pursue tech the way I used to. But, I'm still into 3D, and I needed a project. I'll check out the link. Good to connect with some old friends here, like you and tomtastic.

Joe Clark

post #8 of 11 Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jason. I ordered the Zidoo Z9s, and it's working extremely well so far. Ironically, the only mkv files it seems to have a problem with are from my own original Blu-ray discs created in Sony Vegas. Commercial 3D and 4K mkv files are smooth as butter over SMB from a Synology NAS. That's the most important thing I was looking for in a box. I'm happy not to have to consider a PC for this purpose. Thanks for the help.

Joe Clark

post #9 of 11 Old 06-23-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys, for the info. I'm generally very pleased with the Zidoo Z9s. For its main purpose, it's excellent - that is, for smooth and reliable 3D MKV playback via SMB from my Synology NAS. It does have its quirks, though. The main one is that it balks at most (if not all) PCM audio playback. I get nothing. Secondly, it's inconsistent in how it handles multi-part discs and sequels. That's kind of a mess. It also seems a bit darker in video playback than the Shield.

Along with Plex and the Shield, and the Z9s, my bases are now covered. If anyone has tips on dealing with the issues I describe above, I'd appreciate the assistance.

As usual, I was able to find a quick answer from this community. Thanks again.

Joe Clark

post #10 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, guys, for the info. I'm generally very pleased with the Zidoo Z9s. For its main purpose, it's excellent - that is, for smooth and reliable 3D MKV playback via SMB from my Synology NAS. It does have its quirks, though. The main one is that it balks at most (if not all) PCM audio playback. I get nothing. Secondly, it's inconsistent in how it handles multi-part discs and sequels. That's kind of a mess. It also seems a bit darker in video playback than the Shield.

Along with Plex and the Shield, and the Z9s, my bases are now covered. If anyone has tips on dealing with the issues I describe above, I'd appreciate the assistance.

As usual, I was able to find a quick answer from this community. Thanks again.
Probably best to ask here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...96-soc-49.html
post #11 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Joe Clark