Looking for software to create anaglyphs from VR180 pictures - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-26-2019, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for software to create anaglyphs from VR180 pictures

Hello all, a few weeks ago I got this crazy idea that I would like to create some anaglyph pictures. I bought a stereo camera, the Insta360 EVO, and now... I am stuck. :-)

Using the Insta360 EVO android software, I am able to export data as "side by side" jpg or mp4 files. Problem is, these files are in a 'fish-eye', VR180 format... Hence I'd need to process them in two steps:
1. carve out a 'photograph-like' area out of them, adjusting the proportions at the same time
2. convert the SBS result into the anaglyph (dubois) color model

I did some googling and was surprised to discover that this kind of software is not common at all. Would you have any recomendations as to what I should look after? I am running Linux, but should be able to run some Windows software as well if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-27-2019, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 438
I believe this can be done in adobe Premiere Pro. The preview screen is anaglyph of any 3D VR you display. In VR360 3D it will display the window of view. The preview screen is already corrected for curve distortion of the equirectangular image. You can also adjust the vertical and horizontal field of view for the preview window. There is a save image button but you can also just as easily run the preview window to full screen and just do a screen capture ( ctrl ALT Print screen) of the anaglyph display.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D; Apple TV 4K. Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #3 of 10 Old 07-27-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I tested the adobe Premiere pro to do a frame grab from a recent video I shot with the EVO in VR-180. The image size was kept small for upload but this will work in 5.7K.

I simply found a frame and set the preview window to anaglyph and selected VR 3D viewing. Geometry and 3D is preserved. If you use Premiere to do a frame grab it will be original SBS but if you do a control alt Print screen you will save the entire desktop screen to the clip board. Now open Photoshop or windows paint and paste to it and then just crop your anaglyph still to a full screen save as a jpg and now you can also print this with an ink jet for 3D anaglyph viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test anaglyph.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	632.2 KB
ID:	2595368  

Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D; Apple TV 4K. Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-29-2019, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I believe this can be done in adobe Premiere Pro. The preview screen is anaglyph of any 3D VR you display. In VR360 3D it will display the window of view. The preview screen is already corrected for curve distortion of the equirectangular image. You can also adjust the vertical and horizontal field of view for the preview window. There is a save image button but you can also just as easily run the preview window to full screen and just do a screen capture ( ctrl ALT Print screen) of the anaglyph display.

Hello Don, thank you for your kind reply, I did see it only know (didn't get any mail notification, I probably forgot to set something in the forum settings). It looks indeed like Adobe Premiere Pro would be a good candidate for this. In the meantime I found a software solution that works as well, and is ideally suited for my case (Linux): sView from Kirill Gavrilov.

sView is a multiplatform (Linux, Windows, Mac, Android) viewer that supports stereoscopic images and movies. It is able to generate output in a variety of formats and has nice tuning settings for anaglyph rendering. The 'official' version handles only VR360 content (called "sphere" in the program), but the trunk branch contains VR180 support already (called "hemisphere"). I compiled the trunk version last night and it works flawlessly - I am very impressed by the outstanding quality of this open-source program.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-29-2019, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

BTW, Don, since you own an EVO as well, may I ask an unrelated (to this topic) question?

The image quality of my EVO is very nice, but I noticed that the 3D effect tend to be be very disturbing (eye-crazy) whenever an object is filmed at very close range, like less than half a meter or so. In such situations the material is unusable, as I am unable to fix the DX separation enough for the image to be viewable without becoming insane in the process (and even if I manage to somehow fix the close-range object, then all the rest of the scene becomes blurred or distorted). This may be an obvious 3D-related problem, but as you probably guessed already I am a total newbie in this world. Is such behavior expected, or may it be related to something wrong with my EVO or processing? I noticed that the EVO android application has an option called "fix 3D parallax" (the wording might be slightly different, though), which perhaps is meant to adjust for such situations, but unfortunately the option fails consistently on my close-range materials (not before "thinking" intensely for several minutes). Did you observe anything similar with your EVO? Attached is an example of such "close-range-leads-to-crazy-eyes" file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190726_213221_620.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	885.3 KB
ID:	2595780  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-29-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Yes, the EVO has a 3D closeup limit due to the distance between the two camera lenses. There is no way to fix that since that is the design of the camera. The 3D parallax correction you mention is to fix the farthermost distance objects as the point of convergence for VR head mounted goggles viewing. Some cameras were shipped with problems that flipped the parallax closer than the farthermost parts of the scene. There was a way to fix that also in adobe Premiere Pro and I believe Mistika that Hugh Hou addresses in one of his videos. Later, Insta360 added the fix to their software I might suggest you review his videos at CreatorUp.com as he does an excellent job of reviewing the EVO and other 3d VR cameras.

Here's what is happening- when you have an object too close to the cameras to see the object in 3D you will be crossing your eyes and this becomes painful after awhile. Then when your eyes are crossed the distant objects are deconverged. To compensate for this conflict, shooting 3D of a close up is done by angling the two cameras to converge which allows your eyes to remain parallel and comfortable. None of these cameras are mechanically designed to handle variable converging lenses. I saw one company that sold a rig to do this but they would warn that to shoot a closeup with converging cameras the background had to be neutral with no detail such as a white wall or use of green screen for chroma key composite, clearly out of the purview of the amateur shooting style.

On AVS email, you have to subscribe to the thread for that to work. Look to the bottom of the page where you can select that feature.

Last edited by Don Landis; 07-29-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-29-2019, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, the EVO has a 3D closeup limit due to the distance between the two camera lenses. There is no way to fix that since that is the design of the camera. The 3D parallax correction you mention is to fix the farthermost distance objects as the point of convergence for VR head mounted goggles viewing. Some cameras were shipped with problems that flipped the parallax closer than the farthermost parts of the scene. There was a way to fix that also in adobe Premiere Pro and I believe Mistika that Hugh Hou addresses in one of his videos. Later, Insta360 added the fix to their software I might suggest you review his videos at CreatorUp.com as he does an excellent job of reviewing the EVO and other 3d VR cameras.

Here's what is happening- when you have an object too close to the cameras to see the object in 3D you will be crossing your eyes and this becomes painful after awhile. Then when your eyes are crossed the distant objects are deconverged. To compensate for this conflict, shooting 3D of a close up is done by angling the two cameras to converge which allows your eyes to remain parallel and comfortable. None of these cameras are mechanically designed to handle variable converging lenses. I saw one company that sold a rig to do this but they would warn that to shoot a closeup with converging cameras the background had to be neutral with no detail such as a white wall or use of green screen for chroma key composite, clearly out of the purview of the amateur shooting style.

On AVS email, you have to subscribe to the thread for that to work. Look to the bottom of the page where you can select that feature.
Thank you for your extensive explanation, that clears things up. I had seen Hugh Hou's reviews (incl. the parallax fixing one as well) before buying the EVO. Then when I noticed the close-up problem I assumed it was due to the parallax thing, and naively tried to fix it by adjusting the picture's DX offset (that's how it's called in sView) - which I believe is the equivalent of what Adobe Premiere does. But I understand now that it is not at all the same problem. Apparently my model does not come with the parallax bug, since on all my photos the background has no right/left displacement at all.

The key then is simply to shoot "compatible" photos, avoiding anything within the first meter of the lenses Still a great piece of hardware, though!
post #8 of 10 Old 07-29-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

How are you distributing your photos? I once considered doing some anaglyph prints with my Epson Inkjet printer. Did a test with premium photo paper and the result is quite amazing. But I must say, the EVO and the Vuze XR look really nice in an Oculus Quest. Especially with a bit of color grading. The Quest can even get closer than a 3D TV or anaglyph. I've watched 3D VR180 videos with good content as close as 1 ft before my eyes have to cross.

post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2019, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How are you distributing your photos? I once considered doing some anaglyph prints with my Epson Inkjet printer. Did a test with premium photo paper and the result is quite amazing.
Oh, I do nothing of the sort. My distribution is only digital, through a private photo gallery system I have set up for the family. Most photos are simple flat pictures anyway, anaglyphs are mostly for me, since I seem to be the only one who appreciates this kind of stuff in the family.

That being said, if you are into paper-based distribution, then there is this 3D photo printing service that Fuji had some years ago, based around their FujiFilm W3 camera. They probably stopped doing it since then, but surely a similar service exists somewhere. The idea is to print 3D photos that do not require any special glasses - something similar to these toy pictures that change when rotated.
Actually, such 3D photo was printed on the side of my EVO box.

Quote:
I've watched 3D VR180 videos with good content as close as 1 ft before my eyes have to cross.

VR180 can be indeed impressive, but even good old anaglyph can be jaw-dropping sometimes, when done properly and with talent. There is this youtube guy that does pretty neat stuff:
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Part of my business I did before retiring, was DVD duplication in volume. I had a high volume DVD printer and label printer for photo quality DVD case labels. I still have the equipment and thought it would be cool to print some 3D stills of the grandkids. But like you discovered, we are probably the only ones who appreciate this sort of effort. My daughter's inlaws did buy a 60" 3D Vizio TV and have a couple of 3D blu ray movies but don't bother much with it these days. However, when the grandkids come over they look forward to an evening of 3D movies and are now becoming familiar with Oculus Go.

Anyway, I guess you have your questions resolved with several solutions now. Have fun with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page