Smallest Bluray/3D player - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-23-2019, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Smallest Bluray/3D player

I have some space restrictions which makes me explore compact/smallest player possible. I mainly watch Bluray and 3D movies.
Any recommendations pls..
My receiver is new Yamaha aventage RX A780
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-23-2019, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The lg bp450 is one of the smallest full hd 3d player and one of the cheapest if you don't need wifi, otherwise sony bdp s6700 isn't big but it has just a few apps, useless if you have a better streaming source.

It should be possible to change region, or region free, if you want to import titles, I don't know the players that allow this change.

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, Sony BDP-S6700,
3D RF glasses: Epson, Samsung, Xpand. Fuji FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max, 3D Tablet F892B
YT 3D Video Library

Last edited by Car67; 11-25-2019 at 01:01 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-23-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 508
I'd pick up a PS4 slim, two products in one.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 05:46 AM

Or Xbox one s with uhd bluray player

3D RF glasses: Epson, Samsung, Xpand. Fuji FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max, 3D Tablet F892B
YT 3D Video Library
post #5 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked: 2749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018
I have some space restrictions which makes me explore compact/smallest player possible. I mainly watch Bluray and 3D movies.
Any recommendations pls.. …
Sony BDP-S6700

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 12-05-2019 at 12:13 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car67 View Post
Or Xbox one s with uhd bluray player
Yeah, I really don't get why Sony never put that (UHD) in the PS4.

I think the PS4 is really the worst release that Sony has put out so far for 2 or 3 reasons.

The shape. It's awkward. The slant in the front is fine but in the back it's very difficult to get to the ports. Whoever thought this was a good design should be fired.

Second, no UHD drive. Did they forget what was the major reason for Blu ray defeating HD DVD? And now they take a step from Microsoft and don't include it. Well, at least they didn't bother with a clunky add-on drive.

Third. No Blu tooth headset. What...the...? A major step backward in technology. So we went from wireless headsets that worked great and you could hear everybody, to wired to controller headsets and you can't hear a damn thing. Great move Sony.

I picked Sony this time around but I think I made the wrong choice. Yeah, if I was looking for one device to do it all just go Xbox. Then you have Blu-ray, 3D and UHD all in one. I think I may pick one up too since I've yet to buy a UHD player.

post #7 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 04:31 PM

However I read about problems with the management of hdmi range on the xbox one s, otherwise it could have been my choice too. Do you know if that is true, or solved with a firmware update maybe...? Anyway for a slim console with uhd / 3d bd player I'd take a risk and try...

YT 3D Video Library

Last edited by Car67; 12-05-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Second, no UHD drive. Did they forget what was the major reason for Blu ray defeating HD DVD? And now they take a step from Microsoft and don't include it. Well, at least they didn't bother with a clunky add-on drive.
The first Ultra HD discs were released early 2016 while the PS4 was first released late 2013, so there was over 2 years where the Ultra HD media format didn't exist. Technically I guess they could have done what MS did which was integrate Ultra HD media support in the PS4 Slim/Pro when it was released but they decided not to. I'd say the low sales of Ultra HD discs and the push to streaming convinced Sony getting the support in wasn't necessary.

Quote:
Third. No Blu tooth headset. What...the...?
Bluetooth isn't great for gaming, the latency and outbound audio quality is probably why (and a lot of variance on connected devices). A lot of dedicated headsets used their own lower latency audio wireless and you still would want things like Apt-X LL to remove latency issues even on TV/movies. Bluetooth chat is still iffy as you need the wideband audio (HD Voice) for best quality, it's still a problem for a lot of cheap Bluetooth chat devices/headsets that don't support HD Voice.

Quote:
I picked Sony this time around but I think I made the wrong choice. Yeah, if I was looking for one device to do it all just go Xbox. Then you have Blu-ray, 3D and UHD all in one. I think I may pick one up too since I've yet to buy a UHD player.
IMHO the PS4 is better than my XBox One X for Blu-Ray (they finally got rid of the BD-Live nag dialog recently) but I do use my XBox One X for Ultra HD. It's had issues with 3D playback however, forums suggest dropping the XBox into 1080p/SDR mode to ensure 3D playback works but I haven't had time to dig into it since I just use my PS4 instead. What is annoying is the lack of Dolby Vision support for certain TV's like the LG 2016 OLED's due to the way the XBox One X processes Dolby Vision on the fly, so you can't get an end to end solution of XBox One X with Dolby Atmos/Vision working.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Right, of course not when the PS4 was first released but the mid release timeframe is when it should have happened, 2016-17 when MS released the One S and PS4 released the Pro, which I bought. Sony hadn't yet released a standalone UHD drive of their own yet when the Pro came out which is really odd considering they own the rights to the Blu ray format.

Bluetooth, all headset audio is still going thru bluetooth connection, the difference is it's run thru the controllers vs. direct to the board. There was never a problem with audio on the PS3 which had direct Bluetooth connected devices for headsets and controllers. At least I never complained and it was truly wireless audio. Now on the PS4, I can't hear anything out of it and the only replacements are also wired to the controller. The decision to add audio effects to the controller may be why the headset audio was changed, to route headset audio connections to the controllers as well as the audio effects from the speaker in the controller. After that, there's likely no more connection bandwidth to have separate connections. But it's a mistake. They should have left it like the PS3 so you can choose from a range of Bluetooth headsets that worked great and didn't need wires.

Dolby Vision, etc. I can't even name all of them. This is one reason I haven't upgraded to UHD. This is like HD-DVD vs Blu ray all over again only difference this time is I don't really care about it. 3D had a much better roll out than UHD. UHD doesn't seem complete even now, 3 years later. Another reason I haven't upgraded is the whole hdcp thing. My receiver is 4K but doesn't have that so it's basically worthless for UHD discs unless I rip them first. Once again, another example of bad rollout of UHD.

They had Xbox One S black Friday specials for 149.00. Oh well, they probably sold out in minutes anyway.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Right, of course not when the PS4 was first released but the mid release timeframe is when it should have happened, 2016-17 when MS released the One S and PS4 released the Pro, which I bought. Sony hadn't yet released a standalone UHD drive of their own yet when the Pro came out which is really odd considering they own the rights to the Blu ray format.
I'd say Sony just wasn't interested in fracturing the PS4 market up past the Slim/Pro revisions. It's a bit of a lost opportunity but I'm sure some marketing execs came up with the rationale. Ironically - when Blu-Ray was first coming out I and people keen to get into it opted for the PS3 which is still going strong, I can't say the same for 2006 era standalone players now...

Quote:
Bluetooth, all headset audio is still going thru bluetooth connection, the difference is it's run thru the controllers vs. direct to the board. There was never a problem with audio on the PS3 which had direct Bluetooth connected devices for headsets and controllers.
Apparently the PS3 BT connections were only ever used for chat audio (not game audio), so you still needed to listen to game audio through a separate connection (or the TV). It's been a long time since I tried it however... Sony had their special BT earpiece that had some modified BT protocols for high quality voice chat & latency but looking at other solutions they all seemed to use USB, Line Out or Optical to get the game audio working.

Quote:
Now on the PS4, I can't hear anything out of it and the only replacements are also wired to the controller.
That's probably as Sony can control audio end to end on the Dual Shock 4 and have known latency/quality characteristics, it's also cheaper to have headsets that just plug into the controller as well from an overall user satisfaction level on the low end. These days for fully wireless you'd need a special headset like the Turtle Beach 800 or Astro A50 as they use their own USB + Wireless to communicate with low latency. If you really do want straight BlueTooth I've heard using the Jabra Link 370 can do this (after pairing on a PC) which would still have some limitations. I just use a PX51, fortunately the PS4 chat upgrade cable works on both PS4/XBox One controllers so I don't find it a problem switching around (which is a problem if I get a headset tied to a specific system).

Edit: Avantree also has an adaptor for USB to BT here among other low latency products. Would need a AptX LL headset of course for best performance.

Quote:
Dolby Vision, etc. I can't even name all of them. This is one reason I haven't upgraded to UHD. This is like HD-DVD vs Blu ray all over again only difference this time is I don't really care about it.
Well, the Ultra HD fight was only on the alternative HDR formats (Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HLG, Technicolor), everything should support HDR10 by default. If your receiver is 4K (HDMI 2.0) compatible it should work, otherwise you can direct connect a player to the TV to bypass it and then use ARC to route audio back but still a hassle. I'm just waiting for HDMI 2.1 to finalise (probably 2020-2021) and then use that to upgrade my current AVR.

Last edited by PCummins; 12-06-2019 at 08:36 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-07-2019, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Getting back to the original post. I would say go cheap and just pick up a cheap PS3 slim, manufacture date 2013. I have 2 of those. They work great as a 3D player and you could probably pick one up for 50 or less by now. And they're pretty small. Also pick up the BT remote for it.

Yes, PS3 was for chat, I wouldn't want game audio coming thru headset anyway. Better thru sound system. Not sure if PS4 game audio goes thru mine, maybe on better headsets. Again, wouldn't want that anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page