New PowerDVD20 no longer supports 3D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By 3DBob
  • 1 Post By ryudoadema

post #1 of 4 Old 04-17-2020, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 637
New PowerDVD20 no longer supports 3D

Another piece of 3D pie is gone. Does support 360 VR and headsets, but not 3D. Also says it supports playing ISO files. If you try to load an ISO file, it will load a driver first. Worked once, but then I couldn't get it to work again, so guess it's buggy. Too bad as it has HDR now and some other features like 4K and 8K support--haven't tried those, though. Guess, I will stick with PowerDVD19.

Do a trial version before you buy--save some $$.
TeHaX and Robert Clark like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-19-2020, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Another piece of 3D pie is gone. Does support 360 VR and headsets, but not 3D. Also says it supports playing ISO files. If you try to load an ISO file, it will load a driver first. Worked once, but then I couldn't get it to work again, so guess it's buggy. Too bad as it has HDR now and some other features like 4K and 8K support--haven't tried those, though. Guess, I will stick with PowerDVD19.

Do a trial version before you buy--save some $$.
That's too bad. I believe I still have 17 or 18. It still was giving me too many problems auto-switching to 3d that I now use either MPC-HC with MAD-VR (free) or J-river (paid). They both play 3d iso, mkv, frame-packed, sbs/ou...just about anything, and also do great HDR for projectors and such. J-river is great and very comparable to Power-dvd with the whole media library frontend and has mad-vr built in. It probably looks even better than p-dvd because of this, but especially HDR or HDR>SDR conversion.
3DBob likes this.

Spoiler!

Last edited by ryudoadema; 04-19-2020 at 11:10 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2020, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 637
@ryudoadema : I downloaded a trial of J-River and selected as many filters as made sense, but I can't get it to auto switch to 3D on my passive 3D monitor. And I can't find a manual switch either for frame packed. Any 3D blurays I play, just play as 2D. Any SBS video, etc. play as side-by-side images, and I can manually switch my monitor to play them, but I have other software for that. Of course, I can always use PowerDVD, but was hoping to have more features like HDR and MAD-VR built-in. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2020, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
@ryudoadema : I downloaded a trial of J-River and selected as many filters as made sense, but I can't get it to auto switch to 3D on my passive 3D monitor. And I can't find a manual switch either for frame packed. Any 3D blurays I play, just play as 2D. Any SBS video, etc. play as side-by-side images, and I can manually switch my monitor to play them, but I have other software for that. Of course, I can always use PowerDVD, but was hoping to have more features like HDR and MAD-VR built-in. Any suggestions?
Setup

MC Options -> Video
Video Mode: Set Red October HQ
Enable 3D Blu-ray and MKV 3D decoding
madVR settings
devices -> <your device>
Set device type appropriately
properties -> 3D format: auto (for HDMI frame-packed, select any other modes as appropriate)
rendering -> stereo 3d
enable stereo 3d playback
set madVR to enable and disable 2d/3d mode as appropriate
(only relevant for HDMI frame-packed output)

Also, I assume you either have an AMD card or you're on nvidia 425.31 drivers or older since you had 3d working in pdvd? If not, there are workarounds but they are not as streamlined in the 3d execution. Hope that helps.

I should also note that i am not currently using my htpc/jriver for 3d, just that I had it working when I installed half a year ago or so. I use a Zidoo Z9s for 3d and 1080p 2d movies. I am short a PC right now, so I only move the htpc/jriver combo to the theater room for the odd 4k/hdr movie.

Spoiler!

Last edited by ryudoadema; 04-19-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page