HDMI Splitter with 3D Support? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 85 Old 08-12-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jansilverman View Post

I guess I have the same question, is there a HDMI splitter that will give me two outputs, one with HD audio for the Integra to decode and one with 3D Video for the Mits?

There are plenty of HDMI splitters (more technically, distribution amps), the trick is finding one that works properly in such a setup. Most current ones seem to create their own EDID, and report back the "lowest common denominator" of the capabilities of the downstream connected devices. You could end up telling the devices upstream of the splitter that you can only handle 2 channel audio (from the TV's EDID and only 2d video (from the AVRs EDID). Search this forum for Scubawoman's post... she seems to have found a splitter that works well for her, and she has similar equipment to you (and me). However, another consideration is, if your DHC 9.9 is similar to my Onkyo 875 (and I expect it probably is), you probably experience some audio and video delay going through the AVR due to the internal processing it does. If you delay the audio, but send the video straight to your TV, you may end up with lip sync issues. Another thing to consider: you won't lose lossless audio if you do toslink from the DirecTV receiver to the AVR, since plain old Dolby Digital is the best you can get out of DirecTV. But that still doesn't solve the lip sync issue, and also doesn't help you if you're trying to use the AVR as a switcher to allow multiple devices like the PS3 to connect to the adapter.

You are essentially in the same boat I and others are. Neither DirecTV nor Mitsubishi really thought things out (or just didn't care enough) about how their components would work with other components in a typical home theater setup. We are trying to petition DirecTV to modify their current software to allow us to enable 3d output even if their receiver doesn't detect a 3d device directly connected to it. See this thread, and this thread, but most importantly, post your setup in this thread, and explain why you need to go through your AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 Old 08-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for sending your message and the links. I will be posting my setup as requested.

I realize that I could use the toslink setup for DirecTV and not miss any lossless content as they don't broadcast the higher resolution formats. Though I didn't consider the lip sync problem as all my inputs (audio and video) currently go through the AVT and I never see the problem. I clearly see how I would if the video goes direct so this doesn't seem like a good solution.

Consequently, is the Gefen Detective Plus the best solution even if the splitter that Scubawoman uses works? I know it's more expensive but it shouldn't have the lip sync issues.

When the PS3 3D Blu-Ray capability is available (I understand this will be in Sept.) I want to put it through the AVT and I certainly don't want to limit the HD audio by using toslink. I have no idea if the HDMI connection from the PS3 to AVT to Mits will work. I hope I won't need to buy a switcher for that, I assume the Gefen wouldn't help. Any thoughts?
post #33 of 85 Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I plan on getting the Yamaha V767 which has 2 HDMI outputs. So I'll have the adapter on HDMI output one, and HDMI output 2 will go directly to the TV. That way I can have two adjustments on the TV. One for 3D and one for regular content. Hopefully they come out with it soon.

TV: 75XBR940E

PSN ID: Onedropshot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 85 Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks for sending your message and the links. I will be posting my setup as requested.

I realize that I could use the toslink setup for DirecTV and not miss any lossless content as they don't broadcast the higher resolution formats. Though I didn't consider the lip sync problem as all my inputs (audio and video) currently go through the AVT and I never see the problem. I clearly see how I would if the video goes direct so this doesn't seem like a good solution.

Consequently, is the Gefen Detective Plus the best solution even if the splitter that Scubawoman uses works? I know it's more expensive but it shouldn't have the lip sync issues.

When the PS3 3D Blu-Ray capability is available (I understand this will be in Sept.) I want to put it through the AVT and I certainly don't want to limit the HD audio by using toslink. I have no idea if the HDMI connection from the PS3 to AVT to Mits will work. I hope I won't need to buy a switcher for that, I assume the Gefen wouldn't help. Any thoughts?

I've heard that by turning off CEC on all your equipment may help with the receiver passing through the 3D content.

TV: 75XBR940E

PSN ID: Onedropshot
post #35 of 85 Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term CEC. Is this something I can turn off on the Integra AVT?
post #36 of 85 Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Honestly, I'm struggling with this myself. There are no guarantees. We'd have to have some huge database of people's configurations... what works, what doesn't, because you just can't nail down these interoperability issues from the little data we can get from the various manufacturers. The Gefen is a rather flexible solution, in that you could use it to trick the adapter into working upstream of the receiver, or to trick the DVR into allowing 3d content, and you could try different EDID settings to find something that works (though I'm not aware of any easy way to program it outside of having access to the device you want it to emulate). On the other hand, it is a little more expensive than a splitter, and it may not be helpful if you can't find something to program it with that has all the traits you need. I've seen some posts of people using it but only getting two channel audio, because they're programming it with the Mits TV data, which doesn't have 7.1 channels. So I've been holding off, hoping that DirecTV does indeed take care of their customers and allow 3d content when connected through an AVR.

The PS3 may have it's own set of challenges. From the posts I've seen, GAMING on the PS3 works through a 1.3 AVR. But I've seen a post that packed from output from a 3d blu-ray player resulted in no sound from the AVR, so I fear we may have the same issue on blu-rays on the PS3 one that firmware is available. If so, that MIGHT be fixable if the 3d adapter was placed upstream of the AVR. IF it passes the audio straight through (even if it's 7.1 HD channels), then the output from the 3d adapter should be understandable by a 1.3 AVR. To the best of my knowledge, the PS3 will output whatever audio format you want, so if the 3d adapter only reports 2 channel capability, that shouldn't be an issue as long as it can pass HD audio. But at this point it's all conjecture until the Blu-ray firmware comes out. For Blu-rays, I'm using an HTPC that will output checkerboard format, and I don't have any problems passing that through my Onkyo 875 and getting HD audio as LPCM (I don't have a video card that can bitstream HD audio, but LPCM works).

As far as CEC, that's just some extra HDMI functionality that lets devices talk and coordinate. I think it will allow things like having a DVD player automatically turn on when the TV is set to that input. I've always read of problems with it, so I've always disabled it (since a programable remote can handle all that anyway). I know the the Mits TV has an option for it. I can't remember if my AVR does.
post #37 of 85 Old 08-15-2010, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are there any HDMI switchers/splitters available that even support 3D Blu Ray? I found this one http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%205port.htm that notes it does but I don't know how this would be possible when it is only HDMI 1.3

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pablo
post #38 of 85 Old 08-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by el pablo View Post

Are there any HDMI switchers/splitters available that even support 3D Blu Ray? I found this one http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%205port.htm that notes it does but I don't know how this would be possible when it is only HDMI 1.3

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pablo

http://www.amazon.com/Atlona-AT-HAD-...3&sr=1-3-spell

Read review.
post #39 of 85 Old 08-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks for link! How is it possible that HDMI 1.3 switchers/splitters can work with 3D Blu Ray when 1.3 receivers can't and require 1.4?

Pablo
post #40 of 85 Old 08-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for link! How is it possible that HDMI 1.3 switchers/splitters can work with 3D Blu Ray when 1.3 receivers can't and require 1.4?

Pablo

This switch apparently doesn't create its own EDID.
post #41 of 85 Old 08-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Interesting then why do receivers need to? I thought that HDMI 1.4 also had to do this being able to understand the 2x1080 framepacked content?
post #42 of 85 Old 08-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting then why do receivers need to? I thought that HDMI 1.4 also had to do this being able to understand the 2x1080 framepacked content?

A dumb switch doesn't have to "understand" anything
post #43 of 85 Old 08-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks again! So any HDMI 1.3 switcher will support 3D Blu Ray? I assume this is the same with splitters? What does the receiver have to understand with 3D Blu Ray that HDMI 1.3 doesn't allow it to?
post #44 of 85 Old 08-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks again! So any HDMI 1.3 switcher will support 3D Blu Ray? I assume this is the same with splitters? What does the receiver have to understand with 3D Blu Ray that HDMI 1.3 doesn't allow it to?

I was playing with your words a little. It is a reasonable presumption that if a 1.3 switch doesn't add or subtract anything to/from the signal, that it will pass a 3D signal ok; but I don't know how to tell if a given switch does that unless, as with the switch I cited to you, the manufacturer says so.
post #45 of 85 Old 08-15-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
A simple switch just takes the TMDS (video, audio, and data island) data in one end and clocks it out the other without looking at its content. As long as the switch has sufficient bandwidth, it can handle the data. The maximum HDMI bandwidth has not changed from 1.3 to 1.4. The question of whether a 1.3 switch can work with 3D has to do with how all the handshaking that identifies capabilities (EDID) goes on between the source, the display, and the electronics in between goes on.

Switches based on the Sil9185 work this way. Don't know what is in the Atlona product.

Interesting that a switch that appears to be identical to the $49 Atlona switch is available from Kanex from $25.
post #46 of 85 Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM

Thanks for all the info Colm! Is the same true with splitters?
post #47 of 85 Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Best Buy has a new HDMI 1.4 splitter i tested it out on the panasonic 3d set and it works to distribute hd audio to the receiver and 3d hd to the TV. But at least with the Panasonic vt25 it was first necessary to trick the TV by starting the movie with the hdmi going straight to the tv then switching to the splitter during the opening credits. After you do this it works perfectly the TV shows 1080p 3d and the receiver shows Dolby true hd at least until you put in another movie or turn off the player then it is necessary to start the process again. It is a pain but also a promising solution for the future. I hope this helps. It is made by rocketfish retails for $99.99 its probably on best buy .com
post #48 of 85 Old 12-28-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There will probably never be a "splitter" because of HDCP just switches.

(fifth element)
post #49 of 85 Old 12-28-2010, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
You folks mix apples and oranges. The issue is not is there a 3D capable splitter. The issue is that the splitter needs to isolate the hdmi 1.3 non-3D component from passing its information along the chain and thereby shutting off hdmi 1.4, shutting off 3D, at the 3D display, source, etc., for other components.

The Rocketfish splitter at Best Buy does not. While figuring out a work around is interesting it is not functioning as a splitter and isolating the non-3D component's hdmi information.

It can be done. Its being done. The 2 hdmi out 3D players are doing exactly that.
post #50 of 85 Old 12-28-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Some HDMI powered splitters allow the user to select from which connected output device the EDID data is sent to the incoming source.
post #51 of 85 Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 AM

Monoprice sells a 4x2 HDMI switch for around $75 that works with 3D.
post #52 of 85 Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Is this the part you reference?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Regards,

J Thomas
post #53 of 85 Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

There are plenty of HDMI splitters (more technically, distribution amps), the trick is finding one that works properly in such a setup. Most current ones seem to create their own EDID, and report back the "lowest common denominator" of the capabilities of the downstream connected devices. You could end up telling the devices upstream of the splitter that you can only handle 2 channel audio (from the TV's EDID and only 2d video (from the AVRs EDID). Search this forum for Scubawoman's post... she seems to have found a splitter that works well for her, and she has similar equipment to you (and me). However, another consideration is, if your DHC 9.9 is similar to my Onkyo 875 (and I expect it probably is), you probably experience some audio and video delay going through the AVR due to the internal processing it does. If you delay the audio, but send the video straight to your TV, you may end up with lip sync issues. Another thing to consider: you won't lose lossless audio if you do toslink from the DirecTV receiver to the AVR, since plain old Dolby Digital is the best you can get out of DirecTV. But that still doesn't solve the lip sync issue, and also doesn't help you if you're trying to use the AVR as a switcher to allow multiple devices like the PS3 to connect to the adapter.

You are essentially in the same boat I and others are. Neither DirecTV nor Mitsubishi really thought things out (or just didn't care enough) about how their components would work with other components in a typical home theater setup. We are trying to petition DirecTV to modify their current software to allow us to enable 3d output even if their receiver doesn't detect a 3d device directly connected to it. See this thread, and this thread, but most importantly, post your setup in this thread, and explain why you need to go through your AVR.

Has anyone found a switcher that allows one to split a 3D signal into two HDMI outputs. I have a PS3 and a DirecTv HR24-500. Both devices output a 3D signal. My HDTV is a Samsung DLP that accepts a 3D Checkerboard Signal. I have a Mitsubishi 3D-A1 Checkerboard Converter combined with a Gefen HDMI Detective (Mitsubishi EDID programed into it) that allows me to watch 3D on my Samsung HDTV. I am able to run the Checkerboard signal through my Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver but the audio is limited to 2.0 using the DirecTv Receiver. I believe the Mitsubishi EDID information tells the the DirecTv HR24 that it can only handle 2.0. I use a toslink cable to give me 5.1 sound from my DirecTv 24 since that equipment is limited to 5.1 Dolby Digital anyway. I want to be able to connect my PS3 to my equipment as well. I realize that one can only get Dolby Digital or DTS from the PS3 currently when watching a 3D Blu-ray and that is acceptable to me at this time. However, I do not want to give up DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD when watching regular 3D movies. Any advise regarding this would be appreciated. I hope my post is not too confusing regarding what I am hoping to do. I attached Darin's post because he did a good job of explaining some of the issues.
post #54 of 85 Old 12-30-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthomas View Post

Is this the part you reference?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Regards,

Yes, that one has been confirmed to work in 3D by another poster in this forum.

Geaux Tigers, I believe that would work for you but your setup is probably more complicated than most; at least the switch has been confirmed to work with D* 3D. I don't have the switch yet, but also use a Mits adapter (on a Mits tv) and PS3; I get around the problem by using HDMI couplers to more easily detach and switch HDMI cables.
post #55 of 85 Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use both a splitter (2 out) AND a switch (4 way) together with no issues doing 3D from HTPC. My setup is a bit convoluted as there are even component -> HDMI converters in the mix
post #56 of 85 Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Can anyone confirm if the following setup I am planning will work?

I currently have a PS3, Onkyo 805, and a Samsung DLP 6189.

I plan on adding a HDMI switch so that;
for 2D the Audio and Video Signal goes PS3->HDMI switch->onkyo receiver->Samsung DLP.
for 3D the Video signal goes PS3->HDMI switch->Mits converter->Samsung DLP and the Audio signal goes PS3->Onkyo receiver via TOSlink.

I had assumed/hoped that the system could compensate for the receiver lag.

Will this work? and/or will I have serious audio lag problems?
post #57 of 85 Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

Monoprice sells a 4x2 HDMI switch for around $75 that works with 3D.

FWIW, I can confirm that the cheaper of the two Monoprice 4x2 switches (PID 5312) also supports 3D.

[EDIT - Quoted previous post to which my response applied. No, this switch will not do what kriktsemaj99 and the OP want (none will AFAIK), but it will pass 3D video.]

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #58 of 85 Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 481
That's all well and good, but not really what the thread is about. The original question was about a "splitter" (i.e. not really a true splitter) that can send 3D video to a display while sending HD audio to an HDMI 1.3 receiver in a format that it can understand. It will take more than a simple splitter to do this, but if someone makes such a device they should be able to sell a lot of them.
post #59 of 85 Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone know of an HDMI "repeater"? I got the HDMI splitter from Amazon that's 1 input to 4 outputs and it's a PITA since it handshakes everytime a component is turned on and causes my DCX3400 to freak out and switch resolutions and reset the output settings.

I want an HDMI splitting device that takes the single input and repeats the exact signal to all the outputs whether or not they support the resolution/signal or not. Just have it do a single HDCP check that doesn't get passed through to the source device since I guess that's what is screwing up my Comcast box.

Not sure if what I want exists...
post #60 of 85 Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm looking for a way to switch between my two 3d sources into my Mitsubishi checkerboard adapter/Gefen and on to my Sammy DLP. I picked up a nice switch-splitter but my Comcast hcx3400 does the same thing. It flips out, changes output modes, I get a content corruption message that flashes on-screen for a second and then puts out a green screen. The PS3 works with this config no problem.
Now if I pull one HDMI component out of the path the cable box is fine. So cable through switch then tv works perfectly. Cable through 3d adapter works fine. But cable through switch, then 3d adapter, then tv. No-go.

Is there any way to switch between two sources into the 3D-A1 then to tv when one is a comcast cable box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page