SimulView - will it work with any 3D TV? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 98 Old 08-26-2012, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

We already know it is possible. The next step is to find way so of doing it cheaper.
Dr HDMI - $99
2 pairs of xPand 104s - about $130 on Amazon
Anyone know if 104's block the DLP Link flash on older Samsung sets? I'd hate to spend all this money and have to suffer with tinted blacks.

x104s do block the DLP Link flash right out of the box in Mitsubishi/Samsung mode, BUT if you upgrade the firmware to get simulview support (for any brand of sync by the way) there is a note with the upgrade that the Mits/Samsung timing has been better optimized and upon installing the update....wait for it.....the DLP Link flash comes back. However, using the customization software, just experiment with shortening the shutter closing delay until the flash is once again blocked. I posted a lengthy comment about it on the xpand website's x104 tech forum. The image through the x104 looks just as good as through my CE5s but without the worry of losing sync due to a dim DLP bulb and for about $100 less per pair.

I can also happily confirm that there are no polarization rainbows for the x104 when viewing DLP TVs with your eyes level.

I use the x104 for 2D viewing of 3D content on the DLP TV and on the PS3 display and also for simulview viewing (and for simulview "simulation" using forced side-by-side modes with normal split screen) and it works great for all those purposes. Note that the PS3 glasses will not do simulview type sync for simulview "simulation" via side-by-side modes or for 2D purposes as far as I can tell, so the x104s trump the PS3 glasses in that regard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post

Just purchased an LG 47LM7600 set. It has a built-in feature called "Dual Play". No need for simulview or hdmi detective, once I go split-screen w/ 3D turned on (2D upconvert or stereoscopic) all I have to do is specify horizontal or vertical splitscreen within the tv's 3D settings and the tv does the work of creating the full-screen image for each player. I'm new to 3D sets, but I found this one very impressive (especially for a passive set). I feel like I practically stole this set from Amazon at $999 and it came with 6 pairs of 3D glasses. I know, it's no $300 sony simulview set, but $999 for a 47" full featured edge-lit LED 3D set that does the work of simulview without having to mess about with in-game settings and retails closer to $1500-$1900 seemed like a no-brainer for me.
I'm willing to bet that a lot more of the new generation of 3D sets will start to incorporate this type of tech and basically render simulview obsolete. Great for consumers and video game programmers... not so great for Sony marketing.

I agree, this method does give you multi-player with each having a full screen view. However, there are some drawbacks compared to actual simulview mode. Simulview creates full screen displays from content with the proper proportions for full screen. With the method you are using, the content is currently proportioned for half the screen and then is stretched to full screen by your TV which distorts the content. It is still pretty good though and developers could fix that issue by having a special split screen mode for that purpose of being stretched. Another issue can be where a graphic element like a track map is supposed to appear for both players in split screen mode and it ends up being cut in half for each player's full screen view, whereas simulview provides each player's view with its own graphic elements.
post #63 of 98 Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Double Post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 98 Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:

We already know it is possible. The next step is to find way so of doing it cheaper.
Dr HDMI - $99
Anyone know if 104's block the DLP Link flash on older Samsung sets? I'd hate to spend all this money and have to suffer with tinted blacks.

That cost nothing, that was a hardware hack no software or special HDMI needed. The only cost was the solder used! which was less than a penny.
post #65 of 98 Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjknatl View Post

x104s do block the DLP Link flash right out of the box in Mitsubishi/Samsung mode.... so the x104s trump the PS3 glasses in that regard.

The PS3 glasses are universal also and so they can be used with the Mitsubishi/Samsung DLP TV if an IR emitter is used, and while there are no polarization rainbows with level eyes, the DLP Link flash is visible.
post #66 of 98 Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Okay... first off BIG APOLOGIES if this backfires. Its apparent the only thing stopping my 46" Bravia is updating the EDID code to authorize proper IR Tx. I do beleive that if enough of a case can be shoved in Sony's face, they will be forced to treat existing customers as they should. I have posted an article that references this article on the SONY support forum... this is not like the PS3 support forums. Please help make them understand their current flaw in direction and get back where they used to be... the audio/video hardware leader and back to treating existing customers as though they actually appreciate our investments in them!!!

If you have a Sony product, you can even register and add your voice to let Sony know we arent just gowing to sit on this one and let them dictate us out to the cold.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Television-Picture-Sound/SimulView-Updates-For-Bravia-Question-Query/m-p/45511

As well, go to your preferred search engine and type in 'sne simulview bravia update question' to get this in their face EVERYWHERE WE CAN!!!

Lets give Sony one last opportunity to do the right thing for all or lets get rid of them... but letting them decide wil mean all the difference.

33rd

Pass it on... George Washington, and other patriots, didnt say 'just dont tell them our names.'

They stood in the face of CERTAIN death and said "We are the founders of America... we are not an anonymous group of obscurity and we WILL produce the greatest nation in the world!!!"
post #67 of 98 Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Here is Sony commenting on their FB page over this issue. Make sure to go like my comments so they dont just ignore us and maybe we can say; 'Hey... We made that happen' in a few months, pat ourselves on the back for taking the 'fight' DIRECTLY to them, and showing the amount of users who are wating for them to act like they care.

https://www.facebook.com/Sony/posts/192920417520691

Pass it on... George Washington, and other patriots, didnt say 'just dont tell them our names.'

They stood in the face of CERTAIN death and said "We are the founders of America... we are not an anonymous group of obscurity and we WILL produce the greatest nation in the world!!!"
post #68 of 98 Old 01-13-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Dr HDMI - $99

I just ordered a Mitsubish DLP set (WD-73742) with built-in IR emitter and some Sony PS3 3D glasses. Silly me thinking that would be enough to get Simulview... frown.gif

Just to get things straight, I need the Dr. HDMI to spoof the EDID and the X104s to view the "left" and the "right" views, correct? Is that still the cheapest and easiest way to get 3D AND Simulview working well with a set like mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjknatl View Post

x104s do block the DLP Link flash right out of the box in Mitsubishi/Samsung mode, BUT if you upgrade the firmware to get simulview support (for any brand of sync by the way) there is a note with the upgrade that the Mits/Samsung timing has been better optimized and upon installing the update....wait for it.....the DLP Link flash comes back. However, using the customization software, just experiment with shortening the shutter closing delay until the flash is once again blocked. I posted a lengthy comment about it on the xpand website's x104 tech forum. The image through the x104 looks just as good as through my CE5s but without the worry of losing sync due to a dim DLP bulb and for about $100 less per pair.

I can also happily confirm that there are no polarization rainbows for the x104 when viewing DLP TVs with your eyes level.

I use the x104 for 2D viewing of 3D content on the DLP TV and on the PS3 display and also for simulview viewing (and for simulview "simulation" using forced side-by-side modes with normal split screen) and it works great for all those purposes. Note that the PS3 glasses will not do simulview type sync for simulview "simulation" via side-by-side modes or for 2D purposes as far as I can tell, so the x104s trump the PS3 glasses in that regard.
Thanks for the valuable info! Your confirmation helped me quickly cancel the PS3 glasses from my order!

post #69 of 98 Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 PM

So here is the brillaint staff of Sony responsing to my question... note he simply restates everything discussed WITHOUT actually dealing with the answer... which is probably start buying LG.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Television-Picture-Sound/SimulView-Updates-For-Bravia-Question-Query/m-p/60129#M2126

Make sure you go and visit the post of this PROFESSOR OF IGNORANCE proves Sony could care less and would rather demonstrate actions of frustration and harrassment than provide ACTUAL quality consumer service .

post #70 of 98 Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM

Alright, I'm confused. So, with "Dr. HDMI" (or similar) I can simulate the Sony PS3 TV's EDID to coerce the PS3 to output "SimulView" onto any TV. BUT what does it actually put out? And do I need anything else to be able to watch "SimulView" on my TV? Or does it work with Samsung's own active 3D glasses (Since I have a Samsung LED TV) ? Or do I still need glasses able to be R/R and L/L only?

Here's what I've done so far: I modified a pair of SSG-3050GB Samsung 3D glasses. They are only $20 a piece at Best Buy and once I pried them open, they seemed to be fairly simple to mod. So, without actual knowledge of soldering (but some basics in physics) I bought a starter set from RadioShack and managed to turn them into R/R glasses. (Will obviously need to make a second L/L pair now). I can use them to view the Samsung ability to put any split-screen as full-screen. I used it with some games and even though "shadowing" can be annoying, most of the time it's not that bad...Anyway, here's a pic of the mod (See below)

It's definitely disappointing that there is no official method of using "SimulView" on any TV or that this method is being explored more by TV makers! Anyway, I appreciated all the information you have shared and hopefully will make a decision weather to try out this "Dr. HDMI" sometime later once I have more info about it and the cash to waste on this smile.gif

ShakingSonyDown likes this.
post #71 of 98 Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You can test how well they work without the DR. HDMI. Just put any PS3 game that has two player into split-screen mode (L/R). Then once the game is running in split-screen mode you switch the TV into 3D mode and manually select side-by-side 3D. This trick worked for me using Motorstorm on my Samsung 6187s. In the glasses player 1 was L and player 2 was R. I have not seen how true simulview works, but this technique works on my non-sony set.
post #72 of 98 Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschkenator View Post

Alright, I'm confused. So, with "Dr. HDMI" (or similar) I can simulate the Sony PS3 TV's EDID to coerce the PS3 to output "SimulView" onto any TV. BUT what does it actually put out? And do I need anything else to be able to watch "SimulView" on my TV? Or does it work with Samsung's own active 3D glasses (Since I have a Samsung LED TV) ? Or do I still need glasses able to be R/R and L/L only?
At its heart, simulview takes a 3d tv and turns it into two 2d tvs. If Sony didn't lock it down, it would work with ANY 3d tv. The signal that is sent is a "regular" 3d signal. The difference is instead of the video being left eye and right eye, it is more like left player and right player. You could do it with regular 3d glasses, but one person would have to cover their left eye, and the other would have to cover the right. Obviously that gets a little silly, so it is better to have glasses that can do the RR and LL for you.

The glasses mod you describe would do the trick.
post #73 of 98 Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Here's what I've done so far: I modified a pair of SSG-3050GB Samsung 3D glasses. They are only $20 a piece at Best Buy and once I pried them open, they seemed to be fairly simple to mod. So, without actual knowledge of soldering (but some basics in physics) I bought a starter set from RadioShack and managed to turn them into R/R glasses. (Will obviously need to make a second L/L pair now). I can use them to view the Samsung ability to put any split-screen as full-screen. I used it with some games and even though "shadowing" can be annoying, most of the time it's not that bad...Anyway, here's a pic of the mod (See below)

It's definitely disappointing that there is no official method of using "SimulView" on any TV or that this method is being explored more by TV makers! Anyway, I appreciated all the information you have shared and hopefully will make a decision weather to try out this "Dr. HDMI" sometime later once I have more info about it and the cash to waste on this smile.gif

BRAVO!!! If you offered this for a service... Id be on the list for sure!!! Thank you for going the distance, you are a human among humans!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Voyager View Post

If Sony didn't lock it down, it would work with ANY 3d tv.

You couldnt have said it better. I understand them wanting it to be a Sony specific function but I own a Bravia... why do they stop my SONY DEVICE from using Sony technology, which would ONLY create more sales for them in the way of me purchasing at least two pairs of the newer glasses? As well as giving their existing consumer base more confidence that they willnot be forgotten once they leave the register.

SCEA is doing an update to the Playstation 3. While I will assume this is NOTHING to do with Siumview and users efforts and abilities to fake the EDID codes required for Simulview; Sony has done much shadier, consumer-slapping measures.

If this new update leads to ANYONE not being able to utilize Simulview, please make it known in this thread. Sony WILL NOT be allowed such behaviors, simply because a few savvy consumers brought something to their attention that they yshould be allowing to begin with.

If Sony's answer to existing Bravia's, that are FULLY CAPABLE of utilizing Simulview, is to insure they cannot then it is our duty as consumers (LG consumers, Sony consumers, etc) to stand and deliver the message it will not be ACCEPTABLE.

I do beleive in the free market, and with that beleif comes the knowledge that the consumers make evident what they will accept and what they will not. Thats the part of the fre market never discussed... the consumers voice and the power in it.

We shall not go gentle into that good night!!!

post #74 of 98 Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM

OFF HAND... has anyone noticed we lead Google results for 'Bravia simulview update'... thanks for caring about each other!!!

Semper Fi.

post #75 of 98 Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Alright, I'm confused. So, with "Dr. HDMI" (or similar) I can simulate the Sony PS3 TV's EDID to coerce the PS3 to output "SimulView" onto any TV. BUT what does it actually put out? And do I need anything else to be able to watch "SimulView" on my TV?

You are correct, the problem is getting the IR sensor to output LEFT/LEFT and RIGHT/RIGHT signals. 240hz Braivia's are perfectly cpabale of being updated to do this but Sony would rather force you to downgrade to the 24 incher or rob a bank to by the new 84inch 4K display at an "affordable" $25,000!

One user utlised his Sony tablet to fake the IR codes with success, proving its a mere matter of updating the PS3 with aiuthorized Bravia EDID's along with an update to make those same Bravia's IR sensors output the L/L and R/R codes to the Sony specs. I beleive you would be required to buy the XPAND specs, or the other guys (no offense just cant remember what they are called) if Sony fails to act responsibly.

Sony is leterally screwing themselves out of money in this one...

post #76 of 98 Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM

UPDATE: We have apparently caused Sony to enlist a group like Reputation dot com (probably just paid Lithium a few extra bones) to get on putting our little thread here down a bit on Google results.

Other than that, this is starting to look like something that should be able to happen with a mere update of the Playstation 3. But expereince with them tells us how hard the fight will have to be to be treated like we gave them money or something... biggrin.gif

post #77 of 98 Old 02-15-2013, 05:16 PM

UPDATE: A Sony representative has now contacted me with a desire to speak of this, and other Sony misgivings. We are making progress even if its a simple attempt to dissway our efforts.

Thanks to all who helped keep this at the top of Google's results so Sony would eventually have to deal with us biggrin.gif . Lets cross our fingers, but dont send any ships yet, that they might actually start acting like the company that makes such awesome technology. This is one of the first REAL forums Iv encoutnered to date!!!

While I may still be a slight Sony 'FAN-MAN' (being a bit older than a boy) this will honestly determine whether I sale all my Sony devices and switch to LG or something.

post #78 of 98 Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM

UPDATE: Okay... So Sony proved us all correct in our assumption they dont give a d#$n about their EXISTING consumer base. Im still awaiting contact with the ONLY representative Sony has that demonstrates ANY form of respect... and he does a great job so spare Adam CU9B for Sony's ignorant behaviors.

Regardless, one look at their stocks after annoucning the early PS4 as well as dumping out an unknown number of $10 lyoalty codes on the PSN that they are to 'perfect' to see anything other than that which will cuase their own demise. Maybe thats what they are trying to position themselves for... to bad this thread, and many others Iv put out will cause Kazou Harai to face criminal charges if he does continue.

I doubt my talk with Adam will get us Simulview on our Bravias that are FULLY capable and stopped only by its EDID code. While he, being a PS3 and Bravia owner, understand this he also has no clue why Sony would keep going down this path. Simulview may be added to existing Bravias but how many Sony users are there really going to be left so maybe this thread should become about DUAL PLAY only and forget trying to ehlp the company we spent our money on, in good faith they would act responsibly and fair.

Their ivestors can see there current path as well as many of us:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:SNE

-0.39 (-2.70%) -as of COB Febraury 21st, 2013.

OFF TOPIC: Today sony has been doing everything they can to stop un-happy customers from making Sony's wrong doings known on their Facebook page; to include measures that have Facebook warning honest folks from posting any more SPAM and they only want to know why the PS4 WILL NOT be playing their PS3 content. Now, I dont care because I post in MUCH more places than Facebook or Sony/Lithium controlled forums, however this is not right. I, myself, beleive this be a time to hit their page with a bombardment of what we will call 'consumer relations negotaions'... not inany form of anonimity but with profiles that show REAL people are done just rolling over and taking it dry. Just a thought...

NAH NA NA NAH... NAH NA NA NAH... HAY HAY HAY... GOODBYE!!!

post #79 of 98 Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM

being Simulview is an actual Playstation function; this fact that I will be able to RE-PURCHASE my PS3 content, as it becomes available, for use on the PS4 has closed this whole subject.

Thanks for playing guys. Its been fun. Dont forget how to REALLY take it to their doorstep... we STILL have the top listying on Google for 'SNE BRAVIA SIMULVIEW' or Sony replacing SNE. As well, its even become clear to those trading in Sony stock how worthless they have become... the only fact that makes any of this feel worhtwhile.

post #80 of 98 Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 AM

Just to confirm that SimulView is working with Dr. HDMI (I am on a passive 3D LG TV). The only problem is getting L/L and R/R glasses for active TVs.

So no problem at all with passive TVs, and also some active 3D TV manufacturers offer DualPlay (L/L, R/R) glasses. E.g. Philips PTA518 (IR): http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/p/pta518_00/pta518_00_dfu_eng.pdf

The challenge would now be, to synch these Philips glasses with TVs from other manufacturers. Does anyone know a way how to do that? I tried to use the Philips glasses with the Beamer Epson EH-TW9000, unfortunately it does not work...

p.s.
this April/May new Sony TVs will be released with SimulView support (e.g. W802: http://store.sony.com/p/55-inch-HDTV,-Edge-LED,-W802,-screen-mirroring,-NFC,-3D-TV,-Skype,-smart-TV,-Full-HD,-s-force-surround-sound/en/p/KDL55W802A )
post #81 of 98 Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes that is correct Sony will be implementing SimulView on their new line of LCD TV's but if you read further into it, Sony has went to the "Passive" 3D technology. Which will be completely okay if you get the New UHD or 4K Sony LCD's, that way you will not loose any resolution.

But for me, the recent purchaser of A KDL65-XBR929 LCD TV that wants to use the "Sony SimulView" or DualView for PS3 gaming I am S.O.L. to do it with Sony peripherals. And if Sony thinks by not updating my Top of their line LCD TV to be able to use SimulView, I will go out and purchase their 2013 "SimulView ready" LCDs they are out of their F'in mind and like previously said by another member: these are obviously great reasons why Sony stocks are in the toilet. I am however Extremely Happy with everything else my LCD has, but for what I paid I deserve to be Extremely satisfied. I have been A true Sony believer and purchaser for 20+ years, you come into my home and it is obvious all you see is Sony equipment (XBR and ES for the most part). Speakers I am sorry Sony, it has been a long time since you sold A "Proud to own" set of speakers like the TA-N90 25 years ago or go back even further to the SS-GR1, okay getting off the subject, sorry.

But there is A solution....its called "DrHDMI" to handle the AKIF handshake issue between PS3 and LCD TV and I will also need at least 2 sets of Universal (or Sony IR capable) 3D Shutter glasses that I can switch from R/L (normal active 3D Mode) to L/L (player 1 view) and R/R (player 2 view). I have spent many hours looking for 3D shutter glasses that has this switchable feature but the answers I have received have been really vague. So I know there are members at this GREAT web site that have the answer to this question. Would or could you Please recommend A Brand/model of 3D shutter glasses that I would be able to set for L/L (both lenses view left image only "player 1") and R/R (both glasses lenses show only right image "player 2")??

Many Thanks RiZ

PS- I know an earlier post in this thread someone said that the XPAND X104 were able to do this with some update. Can anyone confirm this??

Again BIG Thanks

The female is the most complicated thing on the planet
post #82 of 98 Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkidz View Post

Just a couple things to update this thread to the "state of the art":

1) While the Gefen HDMI Detective can be used for defeating the EDID lock on the PS3, an easier (programmable by USB, rather than actually having to find a SCEA monitor to read the EDID from) solution is the "Dr HDMI" product from HDFury. SimulView-emulating codes are posted on their website. A friend of mine just got one so I got to verify that it works personally.

2) With the latest firmware update, the XPAND X104 glasses allow L-L or R-R mode by double-clicking the power button while 3D is active.

Now if we only had had two pairs of X104s instead of just one... :-)

I just ordered the Dr.HDMI (to fool the PS3 into thinking it is connected to the SimulView PlayStation set) and want to be sure that the XPAND 104 glasses can be set to do L/L and R/R before I go and order A few sets of these shutter glasses. I want to be able to view "SimulView" and "Dualview" on my SONY KDL65 HX 929 XBR LCD TV. In order to do this the Sony LCD runs in the 3D mode and shows player 1 image on left lens of shutter glasses and player 2 image on the right lens of the shutter glasses, this is why the shutter glasses NEED the abuilty to switch them into L/L and R/R mode.
Could someone confirm that these glasses are able to handle the task??
Many THANKS
RiZ

post #83 of 98 Old 03-18-2013, 11:58 AM

Perhaps those Sony glasses would be better for your Sony TV? http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-glasses-ps3.html

They support Simulview, though I am not sure if the Simulview mode works only with the Playstation 3D Display... I already tried to use those mentioned Philips glasses with my Epson Beamer, no luck frown.gif

Otherwise I would suppose to contact the XPAND service and ask them, if L/L, R/R eye mode is supported with their products.
post #84 of 98 Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Search for Xpand 104 on amazon and you'll find the following review:
http://www.amazon.com/Xpand-X104LX1-YOUniversal-Glasses-Large-Blue/dp/B0062G4728
Quote:
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Simulview on my projector! February 13, 2013
By K. Kain
Amazon Verified Purchase
I bought these with the hope I would finally get simulview to work on my projector. For those of you who don't know, simulview is a Sony technology supposedly exclusive to their playstation monitor. However after the firmware update I am very pleased to report that these glasses work perfectly for this, but not without some trial and error. First off just getting my computer to recognize the glasses to perform the firmware update was a real pain. I bought the cheap 3DTV Corp IR Emitter off Amazon ($19) I almost thought I needed the $65 one but the cheap one works fine. Once the glasses are updated my computer instantly recognized them. Then it was a matter of setting the lense to function with the emitter. After some trial and error I found the xpand emitter setting to work best since there is no option for Optoma projectors or 3DTV corp emitters. After that it was just a matter of starting a game in simulview on my PS3 and double clicking the on button on the glasses. I have searched high and low for the answers I have outlined here and in the end came to find out how to do all this by basic trial and error so I hope this helps anyone who is interested in doing this on their setup.

More proof these glasses work with Simulview.
post #85 of 98 Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerix View Post

Perhaps those Sony glasses would be better for your Sony TV? http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-glasses-ps3.html

They support Simulview, though I am not sure if the Simulview mode works only with the Playstation 3D Display... I already tried to use those mentioned Philips glasses with my Epson Beamer, no luck frown.gif

Otherwise I would suppose to contact the XPAND service and ask them, if L/L, R/R eye mode is supported with their products.

Thanks, but I do have the PlayStation 3D/SimulView glasses and they will only do 3D on Sony LCD TV's. The glasses go into "SimulView" mode(L-L & R-R) automatically from A signal that only the 24" Playstation display sends to them.
Thanks RiZ

post #86 of 98 Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Search for Xpand 104 on amazon and you'll find the following review:
http://www.amazon.com/Xpand-X104LX1-YOUniversal-Glasses-Large-Blue/dp/B0062G4728
More proof these glasses work with Simulview.

Thanks, I did read that review and went ahead and ordered 2 sets of the XpanD 104 glasses. They should arrive today. When I get them and set everything up I will post my results, since it seems A lot of people have inquired about how to get SimulView or DualPlay on their Active 3D LCD/Plasma sets.

RiZ

post #87 of 98 Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakingSonyDown View Post

Okay... first off BIG APOLOGIES if this backfires. Its apparent the only thing stopping my 46" Bravia is updating the EDID code to authorize proper IR Tx.
I'm a bit confused here... If you spoof the EDID (by using an EDID-HDMI Detective, Dr.HDMI, etc.) will a Sony TV then output the IR codes for the Sony glasses to work in LL or RR mode by just touching the button...as if it were the PS3 3D Display (let's call it PS3DD for short)?

Or will you still need modded glasses (or switchable glasses like the Fury ones or the Xpand ones that can manually switch)?

It would be nice if Sony would allow the PS3 to do this for all Sony 3D TVs, but if they won't, I'm thinking a $100 EDID device is not that bad to get it to work. Funny enough I actually have the PS3 3D Display, I've never used it though, lol. Got it on sale for $100 but I've never even tried it out!

For the guy that asked for cheaper... A little late but... The PS3 3D glasses (which are capable of LL/RR operation but only when sent the command from the PS3DD) are only $20 these days and it seems that's the reg. price (they've been as cheap as $15 on sale I think!). You can find here a guide to mod the PS3 glasses to be permanently LL or RR:
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/52443/resolved-howto-re-wire-sony-simulview-3d-glasses-for-dual-play-support

There aren't really any pics other than the one with them opened up, but it does tell you how to re-wire them, nonetheless.

So for $30-40 you could buy TWO pairs of those and mod them, which is cheaper than one pair of the Xpand X104s (cheapest I've seen is around $50 per pair on those). I wonder if there's actually some way to mod them up and use the battery switch on the PS3 glasses to be able to switch from LL/RR mode back to normal operation? Like permanently wire the battery ON, then use the switch somehow to change between 3D and RR (or LL). You'd still need specific sets for P1 and P2 of course, but then you could save even more $$$ by having them still usable for 3D operation!
[Edit: I thought about the switch and I think the battery switch itself is going to be a single pole/single throw switch, just to connect/disconnect the battery. For switching to 3D and LL or RR operation I guess you'd need a double pole, double throw switch, right? So in addition to disconnecting the battery wiring, I guess you'd have to find a suitable switch to go in place of the original one.]
post #88 of 98 Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let me take a guess at how this works. If you spoof the EDID and get the PS3 to go into Simulview mode, all that is happening is player one info is in the L frame of the glasses, and player 2 info is in the R frame (instead of two perspectives you get two different pieces of info). If your glasses are normal L/R set-up you will see both players at the same time overlapping. Your glasses are in charge of showing L/R, R/R, or L/L - so if you get simulview working you still need to mod glasses or get glasses that show only one eye in both lenses. Make sense?
post #89 of 98 Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Let me take a guess at how this works. If you spoof the EDID and get the PS3 to go into Simulview mode, all that is happening is player one info is in the L frame of the glasses, and player 2 info is in the R frame (instead of two perspectives you get two different pieces of info). If your glasses are normal L/R set-up you will see both players at the same time overlapping. Your glasses are in charge of showing L/R, R/R, or L/L - so if you get simulview working you still need to mod glasses or get glasses that show only one eye in both lenses. Make sense?
Right exactly smile.gif But I'm wondering, with the EDID copied and with a Sony TV, will the Sony TV output the IR codes as if it were the PS3DD? If that were true the PS3 glasses would work out of the box with just the EDID device. If the TV still doesn't output the IR codes though, then yeah you would need switchable or modded glasses.

The poster I quoted seems to imply that a Sony TV will output the codes if the EDID is spoofed but maybe that's not what they were saying?
post #90 of 98 Old 05-09-2013, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I finally decided to try motorstorm apocalypse, and thenb realized I don;t have what I need to simulview 8(.

We have the ps3 3d glasses, and a mitsubishi 82742 3d tv.

If I get dr hdmi, will we be able to get simulview, or are we SOL?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page