Official Omega 3D passive projection system thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #781 of 799 Old 02-27-2018, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I use warp all the time with my G501. There is really low amount of detail lost when compared to staright image from projector without any warping.
If you go with polarizers, i would suggest curved screen for lover hotspot with high gain screen.
I use a custom paint. I just havent had the time to make another batch. I was gonna send blackshark a test piece to get his input on it but man
i have been too busy.
By the way blackShark. i would courage everybody with polarizers to try out few pairs of glasses from awater3D germany.
I have not yet find another pair with as low crosstalk as with these. I even order some HQ linear glasses that actually feel and look like much better quality,
still there is a small difference to the original theme park style glasses i got from awater with my filtters. I even had some same looking themepark glasses on
my order with the HQ glasses but they are the same level in crosstalk as the HQ ones. So it seems i always return to my old trusty awater3D themepark glasses.
I bet they also are from china but man i don´t get why they produce so low crosstalk.
They look like these.
http://www.labucketbrigade.org/how-a...sses-made.html
The ones i got new that were not as good are like these
http://cn.hony3d.com/wp-content/uplo...-glasses-1.jpg

Last edited by Vaan Janne; 02-27-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 799 Old 02-27-2018, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I also have very good glasses from Hony3D and polarizers in front of my projectors, but the big factor regard ghosting is still the screen material. 100% perfect is not possible.
I use Harkness Spectral and Silverfabric3D which are fine, i only see ghosting at very high contrast scenes with big parallax. I ordered screen samples from china (ebay), these are cheap, but produce much worse ghosting (almost unusable!) than this two what i use.
post #783 of 799 Old 02-28-2018, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxman View Post
I also have very good glasses from Hony3D and polarizers in front of my projectors, but the big factor regard ghosting is still the screen material. 100% perfect is not possible.
I use Harkness Spectral and Silverfabric3D which are fine, i only see ghosting at very high contrast scenes with big parallax. I ordered screen samples from china (ebay), these are cheap, but produce much worse ghosting (almost unusable!) than this two what i use.

my point was though i order a buch of different HQ glasses from hony3D there is still no glasses that beat the crosstalk level of my first ever ordered glasses from awater3D.
thiugh they are propably also china produced. There is a difference in the crosstalk level. It´s not huge but i still keep going back to my fist ever pair.

I did my fair share of comparing materials a while back. biggest differnece is the price. I did not find big differences in crosstalk levels with any of the samples.
my favorite was the stewart 5D but is´s a huge cost. and the one prototype was interesting that blackshark talked about. but that´s also 3k+ atleast to get to finland.

Im using my own mix with curved screen. It has low shimmering, low hotspot (atleast on a curved screen) and low crosstalk.
i was planning to sell my mix but i have not gotten to it. Though it´s not that consumer friendly as it has high emissions during curing and i don´t think you could
apply it with a roller.
If i get around to it i´ll buy some more materials and make a batch and do some samples but don´t hold your breath

the only commersial products i would concider is the prototype material blackshark talked about or the stewart 5D.

relax man why do you say "than this two what i use" ?
do you have two seperate systems or do you sell them ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 799 Old 02-28-2018, 02:53 AM

My best is PL0001LP (old school) and the kid size PL0002 yellow one. They have perfect polarization.
I have two screen one diagonal is 3m (for 50 people) the other is 4m (for 100 people).
I wanted to buy a 6m one for 3-400 people, but the price is way too much from the quality ones.
From China price is acceptable, but the quality?

Check this 3 sample at once while projecting a white circle (good filter in front of projector)

Should be white: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vo...RgT-O5hMbxfXwy

Rotating filter 90 degrees, circle should be black: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qn...PbS4EcfHWdmKh4

From left to right: chineese1, chineese2, Silverfabric3D

I didn't want to buy worse screen than i currently have, so i didn't buy the big one

Last edited by relaxman; 02-28-2018 at 02:56 AM.
post #785 of 799 Old 02-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
RealD recently announced 2 new screen materials specially made for polarized 3D.
I didn't dare ask for a sample... I guess they only target large theatre size screens.
https://www.reald.com/#/ultimatescreen

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #786 of 799 Old 02-28-2018, 11:17 PM

These are not silverscreen, right? Only good for reald system.
post #787 of 799 Old 03-01-2018, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

These are polarisation preserving screens (made by RealD).
The claimed extinction ratios are extremely high.
We would call these types of screens as silversceens however they claim these screens are a new technology.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 03-01-2018 at 01:35 AM.
post #788 of 799 Old 03-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
These are polarisation preserving screens (made by RealD).
The claimed extinction ratios are extremely high.
We would call these types of screens as silversceens however they claim these screens are a new technology.
If these are Strong MDI made screens called HighWhite as i believe MDI is their official partner i have their sampple book.
The highwhite was most to my likings and is pretty close to stewart5D. sadly it´s only for those who have a realD lisence and THAT´s not cheap.
Crosstalk wise i would say mine is better. it´s still ok though....actually thats something to test.
post #789 of 799 Old 03-01-2018, 02:30 PM

actually the numbers look like something else then MDI strong.
interesting. 500:1 and in circular. that should be a lot better with linear
post #790 of 799 Old 03-01-2018, 11:19 PM

A matte white screen preserve polarization? Interesting.
Yepp, linear is the way to go
post #791 of 799 Old 03-04-2018, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxman View Post
A matte white screen preserve polarization? Interesting.
Yepp, linear is the way to go
They are clearly not matte white.
They are high gain (gain 2~3) directional screens (half-gain 30~40°).

But they are still very interesting for polarized 3D users since they have 2D characteristics of hybrid 2D/3D screens, with better polarisation preservation than ultra-high gain silverscreens.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #792 of 799 Old 11-13-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So I've been experimenting with my Omega setup. Like I foolishly do in so many of my endeavors, I sort of jump in with both feet and then figure things out.... So I have 2 sets of filters and 100 glasses anticipating showing my project in venues that have a good white screen already set up.. I now have a pretty big, sort of portable silver screen, so I have that option too..

Anyway..... I hate these things... Everyone mentions the reflectivness of the inside of the glasses, and the glasses, which don't stay on your head, are built to keep side light from sneaking in... but side light isn't the main problem, side light can be controlled by having a dark room... The problem is the light from the screen itself lightens up your eyelids and around your eye, and that reflects off of the inside of the lenses and is just intolerable to me. You can paint your face and eyes black and that fixes it, but gee wiz...

So buyer beware... anyone want 2 sets of filters and 100 glasses?
post #793 of 799 Old 11-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgus1 View Post
So I've been experimenting with my Omega setup. (...)

... Everyone mentions the reflectivness of the inside of the glasses, and the glasses, which don't stay on your head, are built to keep side light from sneaking in... but side light isn't the main problem, side light can be controlled by having a dark room... The problem is the light from the screen itself lightens up your eyelids and around your eye, and that reflects off of the inside of the lenses and is just intolerable to me. You can paint your face and eyes black and that fixes it, but gee wiz...
When I tested them, I experienced the same thing... But from my testing the light comes from the tiny gap at the top of the glasses.
I tried wearing a cap and the eye reflections disappeared. Yes it's ridiculous to make people wearing caps but that confirms the light comes from above..
I assume this light comes from my white ceiling.

How light controlled is your room ? Do you get the same entry point of light as me ?

Passive 3D, forever !

post #794 of 799 Old 11-13-2018, 01:07 PM

there is that... and that is controllable. but even in a totally dark room with the glasses pushed onto my face, my pale white skin just lights up the inside surface of the lens.. makes it seem foggy. I'm easily annoyed and that annoys me. Just got one of these in so I guess Ill lug it around and use polarizers. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #795 of 799 Old 11-14-2018, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

I can't find any mention of a polarisation retention ratio nor extinction ratio...
The close up picture shows a very grainy texture.
It's probably a basic silver screen.

Expect not so good crosstalk and a very sparkly image

Passive 3D, forever !

post #796 of 799 Old 11-14-2018, 05:58 AM

I haven’t set it up yet.
Don’t worry if it doesn’t serve my purposes well I’ll do whatever it takes. Plan B is to use this cheaper screen that is already fitted and grommetted as a substrate and glue a better material to it if necessary. I don’t tolerate inadequate well at all. That said my 20 year old 4:3 DaLight plain silver screen looks pretty good to me for my purposes.

Ron Labbe has a listing of sources for 3D screens, I called around and didn't find any better options for a large portable setup... elitescreens makes a better more expensive frame, but they wont custom fit any of their 3D materials to it, I called.

https://www.studio3d.com/pages2/silver_screens.html

Last edited by Morgus1; 11-14-2018 at 06:50 AM.
post #797 of 799 Old 06-27-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Omega 3D

Hi. A long time ago I bought a pair of Omega 3D filters, about the beginning when they were released. Then, I did not know that they work better with a DLP projector (LCD filters had not yet been created), and at that time I bought two Panasonic PT-AR100U projectors. The system worked very well but now I want to invest in two DLP projectors because now also bought a professional stand to support the projectors. My filters are for DLP projectors. I was thinking about two models of projectors. Optoma HD29darbee or Optoma HD39darbee? Can not spend more than 2,000 euros for both projector. You think it's a good choice? Or you can recommend other projectors? Thank you.
post #798 of 799 Old 07-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

I have not researched DLP projectors, however the only advice I would have is to make sure the colour wheel is RGBCMY type, and not RGBRGB type.
This is no guarantee of good colour but it would increase the probability of being able to better balance the colours between the eyes.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #799 of 799 Old 08-21-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
I have not researched DLP projectors, however the only advice I would have is to make sure the colour wheel is RGBCMY type, and not RGBRGB type.
This is no guarantee of good colour but it would increase the probability of being able to better balance the colours between the eyes.
Thanks for the reply. For a while I abandoned the Omega 3D system, but now the desire to remake the system was born in me, maybe because I've never set it correctly, I worked with improvisations and the result was acceptable but certainly far from the potential of the system. Now I have invested in a stand that allows me to better align the projectors and filters (I attached pictures). The result is much improved, but I find it quite difficult to match the colors into the left and right eyes (the well-known problem of this system). When you have time you can help me please with some advice? What pattern should I use? What steps do I have to follow to match the colors as best I can? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1513.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2605496   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1514.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2605498   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1512.jpg
Views:	16