Help Converting 3D Blu-Ray to MKV - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #91 of 106 Old 10-01-2018, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 59
What is the difference between frame packed iso and mvc 3d mkv quality wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 10-01-2018, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 330
The iso isn't altered by encoding. The iso doesn't require extra processing. The mkv is more player friendly. The iso being unaltered mimics the original disc in its entirety offering more user interaction. The iso is a perfect backup of the original disc should it become lost or damaged. An mkv is usually smaller in size after encoding once things are stripped out of it determined by each individual. If things are not stripped out of an mkv, it would require multiple mkv's to equal the same information an iso retains in its one container and the mkv never offers user interaction menus to access all these information's. Mkv's are often compressed to smaller sizes at the expense of quality. Size difference of stripped mkv's vs full iso's are often miniscule in the full scope of things. An iso always uses a frame packed 3D mode how 3D was intended. Mkv's usually use a side by side or top and bottom reformat of a 3D presentation. Quality is equal depending how well your display renders the additional modes of SBS or TAB compared to the universal mode, frame packed MVC. Many displays do not handle the extra modes as well as frame packed and introduce various defects such as 'ghosting' and other deformities imo. Many times, mkv's do not always automatically switch displays into the proper 3D mode while a frame packed iso does without fail or any manual interaction to entice it.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #93 of 106 Old 10-01-2018, 11:45 PM

@brazen1 I want to use MPC HC to play the 3D movies from the ISO itself, but I need windows 8.1/10 to do that. I have win 7 x64. Output is from a GTX 1060 via hdmi to a Benq W2000 (HT3050).
I don't care about the size of the file, I want maximum quality.

I'm still confused by the type of file that gets exported from the conversion. Is it an SBS/TaB (or HSBS/HTaB), MVC 3D MKV file, or something else?
According to this post I should be able to play MVC 3D files on Win7: https://codecguide.com/download_k-li..._pack_mega.htm
I have all the other requirements, correct settings as well. Tried it at [email protected]

I played around with MakeMKV. I managed to extract a file, Media Info gave me the following:
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Stereo [email protected] / [email protected]
MultiView_Count : 2

The file however when played with MPC HC showed as an SBS. When I went on fullscreen it did not automatically go into 3d mode (from 2d).
I activated stereoscopic 3d from NVCP manually (the PJ goes into frame packing 3d). Windowed mode was SBS and not 3d. Went into FSE, the PJ reset itself in frame packing 3d, but it was still an SBS.

This behavior sounds like what is described in this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188
auto – (HDMI 1.3, Windows+ & Display with HDMI 1.3): Receives a downconverted, half side-by-side format.

I also tried DVDFab, 3 types of files from Ripper. I trimmed a segment of about 60 seconds to test.

3D MKV.MVC
Media info tells me the file is Stereo [email protected] / [email protected], so it must be 3d?
In windowed mode it's an SBS. When I try to play it in fullscreen MPC HC crashes. The PJ resets itself to 3d frame packing when I go fullscreen.

3D MKV/3D MKV 10 bit. Selected 2 streams in 1 file.
Meida info does not tell me it's a stereo file, but 2 separate video files.
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=24
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

In windowed mode it's not an SBS, but a normal image. Same in fullscreen. The PJ resets itself to 3d frame packing when I go fullscreen, but no 3d effects.

Last edited by noob00224; 10-01-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 106 Old 10-02-2018, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

My guide covered 3D frame packed iso's back when W7 was state of the art. I had no problems. The difference between W7 and W10 is that with W7 you need to manually mount the iso unless you have a player with a built-in mounter. W10 comes with a built in mounter. Using one of the MPC players, you will need a virtual mounting program. MPC players do not mount iso's on their own. It's fairly easy, all covered in the guide in my signature. I really can't give you specific answers for W7 from so long ago as I simply don't remember so you'll have to review the guide as I would. I always use state of the art everything including O/S's. Also, you asked the difference between iso's and mkv's. I always use iso's for the reasons mentioned. You are finding out 1st hand just how problematic 3D reencodes using makeMKV can be. I suggest you rip using DVDFab or AnyDVD for iso's and learn from the guide how to utilize them problem free. You mentioned FSE. Always use FSE for 3D. Do not install any codec packs. Uninstall (if you can, yes can be problematic) and use LAV Filters as stated in the guide. I'd also suggest catching up with the times and using W10 although it isn't necessary and many hold onto it for outdated depreciated software reasons. I should also add when using SBS or TAB mkv's, many times your display is only going to accept half resolution. Not so with iso's especially active tech vs passive. These produce full resolution meeting your quality vs size preference.

W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
post #95 of 106 Old 10-02-2018, 09:20 PM

So what is the best format to use with DVDFab? The 3D MKV, or the 3D MKV MVC?

On their webiste as an example for ripping a 3D bluray to MKV they suggest 3D MKV, but on a comment on their youtube channel they suggest 3D MKV MVC Passthrough. How is the Passthrough different from the normal MVC?

I am using Daemon tools to load the iso. Using internal LAV filters. x64 version of MPC HC. 398.82 NV driver version.
Tried AnyDVD, still crashed. It did not create a stereo file, but a 1 file 2 streams format.

I am trying to get on the MPC HC bug report page, but have been banned or something.
nvwgf2um.dll seems to indicate an nvidia issue.

LE: I updated to 411.70, still crashed. I accidentally played a 2D movie (while the PJ was in 3D mode) and when it went to fullscreen it crashed. Tried an mkv and an mp4.
Strange that some 3D ripped files did go into fullscreen. Also changed the Hardware Accelaration fron dxva copyback to all the other alternatives in Lav Video decoder to no avail.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: mpc-hc.exe
Application Version: 1.8.2.4
Application Timestamp: 5bace0b2
Fault Module Name: nvwgf2um.dll
Fault Module Version: 24.21.13.9882
Fault Module Timestamp: 5b5f4be7
Exception Offset: 0015cc4a
Exception Code: c0000409
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: bf80
Additional Information 2: bf8015ebbd3b4897e1fb57b607478160
Additional Information 3: fe8e
Additional Information 4: fe8e20b1fa58fc8d6a6c0b521c8da54c

And Event Viewer:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 03-Oct-18 7:03:23 AM
Event ID: 10
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-10-03T04:03:23.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>49639</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer> </Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
<Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage &gt; 99</Data>
<Data>0x80041003</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Last edited by noob00224; 10-02-2018 at 10:59 PM.
post #96 of 106 Old 10-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Last time I used MPC-HC for 3D, it needed the external 3D LAV filters.

MKV is container format, MVC is the encoding (codified for Bluray 3D, this is why it is passed-through, not re-encoded). They are not in conflict. I am quite sure 3D MKV and 3D MKV MVC are the same thing.
post #97 of 106 Old 10-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

You're having problems because you're not following the guide. All your answers are in there including checking off the additional 3D filters when installing LAV. The proper video decoder to select is also in there. If you continue to guess and then seek help, we're going to be here weeks. Guides are created to help folks but you have to follow it. We create them so individual hands on guidance is reduced. If after reading and viewing the setup pictures in the guide you have a specific question about a particular aspect you don't understand, we'd be happy to help you. So far you are only touching on the basics tbh. If you don't care to use the guide and desire to continue on your hit and miss trials, you're going to experience the tribulations.

post #98 of 106 Old 10-07-2018, 04:42 PM

@Brazen This stuff is not user friendly and time consuming. It took me a while to read about the hardware/software and set it up to work with everything (Reclock, SVP, etc), and I still get stuck sometimes.

Did a few more tests. Selected Full RGB, 8bit, [email protected] Used DXVA2 copy back. Enabled 3D Stereoscopic manually from NVCP.
Added Lav filters as external, just like in the example you provided. Why does madvr need to be added as an external filter?. Tried to replicate your setup, none worked.
It would sometimes crash (with the same nvidia dll at fault), sometimes it would go in fullscreen, but no 3d effects.

Tried with 2 samples ripped with DVDFab, one with the 3D MKV, the other with 3D MVC MKV Passthrough.
For the 3D MVC MKV one, Media Info tells me it's one video stream Stereo [email protected] / [email protected], appears as an SBS in all tests.
The 3D MKV tells me it's 2 video streams [email protected], appears as normal image in all tests.

I understand codec packs can cause issues, however since it says on the K lite codec pack that 3D MVC should work, then I don't know why it would't.
But I did uninstall it. Still failed.

I went ahead and uninstalled everything, ran CCleaner, deleted remaining folders.
Installed MPC HC x64 1.7.16, madvr v0.92.17, LAV x64 0.73. Did not work.

Uninstalled/deleted everything again, installed MPC BE x64 1.5.2 (build 4025) beta, madv v0.92.17, Lav X64 0.73.

Are you sure it works on Win7? In the 1st page on the thread a user noticed screenshots were taken on Win8.
I can play the 3D iso fine with WinDvd.
Added pictures with settings in madvr and MPC BE.

LE: I noticed in the LAV VIdeo configuration window MPEG-4 is greyed out in all instances expect for NVIDIA CUVID. I tried it in this configuration, when it does not crash there are no 3D effects. The MVC is still SBS.
After selecting copy back, the MPEG-4 is greyed out, but remains clicked unless I go back to CUVID and unselect it.

Last edited by markrubin; 11-30-2018 at 09:43 PM.
post #99 of 106 Old 10-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know much about Reclock, SVP, etc. I suppose you followed that from another guide? I don't use DXVA 2 copy back with automatic and not sure if it's correct for you. I would select your actual GPU instead of auto. I use madVR for the processing it offers. When you downloaded LAV Filters, did you check to also download 3D filters option? Yes, I played 3D MVC using W7. What exactly I used and what settings is a distant memory from that long ago. It should be archived in my guide but perhaps it isn't and was replaced with W8.1. I don't remember. I've been using W10 too long to retain the in's and out's of O/S's from the past but I'm certain info is in there to help you. It really hasn't changed drastically but there have been changes one O/S to another. With the advancements of all the software involved, it's impossible to advise you what still works with W7. This is why I suggested you catch up with the times if possible. I also explained I don't use many 3D mkv's and why. I concentrate on full rip iso's. I do use SBS and TAB mkv's but nothing like the mkv MVC you are ripping much less trying to play them using W7. I can tell you I've never used the CUVID setting. MPEG-4 greyed out has no bearing in my setup. I use a panel, not a PJ but if your PJ is as smart as a panel when it comes to proper 3D switching, it shouldn't matter. Sometimes that's a big 'if'. Since it obeys WinDVD, I'd assume it should with other software players as well provided they are harmonious with your PJ too. In W7 days for me, I think I used PowerDVD exclusively for 3D Frame Packed MVC and it worked just fine. I still use it to this day, v.18 when I desire menus, and MPC players with components for main movie only. In your last picture, I would UNTICK everything that is ticked in both photos. The rest of your settings look fine except picture number one which should be 'hardware device to use' your gpu, not auto. Fwiw, I use D3D11 with auto/native. Make sure you are using Full Screen Exclusive FSE, in madVR Rendering, General settings. Lastly, to omit your rip(s) as the culprit, use test files known working. There's a 3D MVC mkv in there and other iso's if you're setup to use them. https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples
noob00224 likes this.

post #100 of 106 Old 10-13-2018, 06:35 PM

@brazen1 I did not install Reclock of ffdshow (for SVP) this time, was just an example of software I had installed and configured previously.

On page 14 of the guide there is a screenshot of LAV video properties with DXVA2 copy back, with an updated note saying to use Direct 3D 11. Problem is when I select D3D11 the hardware accelarator is greyed out with a message: D3D11 requires Windows 8 or newer, and is not suported on this OS.

Selected actual GPU in LAV video properties (from Automatic).
Selected 3D file when LAV filters are installed.
Unchecked all video decoders and source filters.

I got the sample for an 3D MKV from the webiste. According to Media Info it is a stereo file. Performs the same as the stereo file I ripped.
I was unable to get MPC BE working with the updated configuration.

I use WinDVD Pro and TMT for ISO play.
Tried all 3 files with these 2 players. Some crashed, on some I got heavy artifacts (no 3d), nvidia changed resolution to [email protected] 3D (no 3d effects) , and on the sample with 2 separate video streams it played fine but without 3d effects.

Will try again once I upgrade the OS.

Last edited by noob00224; 10-13-2018 at 06:41 PM.
post #101 of 106 Old 10-17-2018, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is a bad stupid idea convert sbs 24p to sbs 50i or 60i?
If it's no bad, there is a guide or tutorial?

Thanks
post #102 of 106 Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbynaish View Post
Is a bad stupid idea convert sbs 24p to sbs 50i or 60i?
If it's no bad, there is a guide or tutorial?

Thanks
These are 2 different questions:

1. Why would you want i (interlaced) instead of p (progressive)?
If you have a passive 3d tv than a progressive HSBS (half SBS) would do fine.
A HSBS( 1920x1080 total/ 960x1080 per eye) yould fit right in with any 1080p display, since a full SBS is 3840x1080 (assuming we're talking about 1080p and your display is 1080p as well). You might benefit from the higher bitrate of an full SBS, but I'm not sure.

2.There are 2 types of conversions from 24p.
One is where you just increase the number of frames per second by 2.5 times. This happens if you have a 60hz display and are watching a 24p video.
You will get 2:3 pull down effect with this one.

The second is where you create 50 or 60 frames per second (or whatever the display can handle, eg. 120hz) from the 24p source. This is called interpolation/motion interpolation. It works great for animation. In live action you get a so called soap opera effect, although fast paced action w/without CGI is good.
There are several ways to do this:
-conversion software, but you have to wait for it to render/compile. I haven't used such software.
-software that can do it live, such as SVP or Dmitrirender. Both cost ~$10, SVP has a free version, Dimitrirender has a 30 day trial. You have to check the list of compatible players.
-BlueSky FRC, live conversion only for AMD cards.
-tv's and some projectors (Epson) that have this feature incorporated, however you have to check if you can use interpolation and 3d at the same time (I don't believe Epson can do it, but you can investigate).

I have watched 3d hsbs/tab movies at 1080p 50/60hz (from a 24p source) with MPC HC and SVP/Dimitrirender. If your display supports 3d for sbs/tab at 50/60hz (as many projectors do) you can try it out.

Last edited by noob00224; 10-17-2018 at 10:06 PM.
post #103 of 106 Old 10-17-2018, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great answer thanks much.
Actually my 3d plasma is nearly to die. I have much BR 3D that I read with my LG br player. I have some in sbs 24p that I read using the usb port on the player.
Now TV 3d doesn't exist anymore, so I was thinking to take a pj. But from what I understood with sbs if are no interlaced there are problems.
My idea was tk800 or hd51 Alv.

My actually TV is Full HD LG 50Px950

And using mediainfo an sbs file is 1920x1080 24p

Thanks again

Last edited by robbynaish; 10-17-2018 at 10:04 PM.
post #104 of 106 Old 10-17-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbynaish View Post
Great answer thanks much.
Actually my 3d plasma is nearly to die. I have much BR 3D that I read with my LG br player. I have some in sbs 24p that I read using the usb port on the player.
Now TV 3d doesn't exist anymore, so I was thinking to take a pj. But from what I understood with sbs if are no interlaced there are problems.
My idea was tk800 or hd51 Alv.

My actually TV is Full HD LG 50Px950

And using mediainfo an sbs file is 1920x1080 24p

Thanks again
The TK800 manual states that 3d [email protected] supports frame packed and TAB. SBS is only supported at [email protected]/60i.
I don't know how a progressive video would be handled on a interlaced resolution.

Converting each movie from 24p to 50/60i would seem a lot of trouble, you could alternatively rip the file in TAB instead of SBS and play it at [email protected]

There might be some issues with the SBS on this model, you should check the threads to make sure.
HT2550 is the TK800 with a different color wheel.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ew-thread.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...thread-11.html

Last edited by markrubin; 11-30-2018 at 09:43 PM.
post #105 of 106 Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 PM

Haven't upgraded the OS, but tried the 2nd HMDI input on the projector. The first HMDI input is a 2.0a, and the 2nd 1.4a. Read that a >1.4a interface was causing trouble on another model with 3d modes.

It did not crash at all, but I still got a SBS image for the stereo files, and a normal image for the dual stream file (no 3d effects). D3D11 in Lav (0.73.1) still tells me this os is not suported .
post #106 of 106 Old 11-29-2018, 11:30 PM

Upgraded to Win10 x64 (CPU and SYS B). It works now.
I did some tests: 416.81 driver version, Lav 0.73.1 (x86 and x64), MPC HC 1.8.3 (x86), MPC HC 1.8.3 (x64), MPC BE (x64) 1.5.2 (build 4025) beta.
The file I ripped with 2 separate video streams did not give any 3D effects. The other one did, has the same format type as the sample from the website: Format profile : Stereo [email protected] / [email protected] (in media info).
It does not want to do 12 bit, selects itself on @23hz 8 bit.
MPC HC x86 cannot play an ISO directly, has to be loaded in an ISO reader (e.g. Daemon Tools), then it's fine.

Frame packing videos work with the recommended configuration, and:
On the HDMI 1 (2.0a) port.
With MPC HC x86.
Without external filters.
In windowed mode.
In DXVA2 Copy back.
In Auto mode (Lav video - hardware device to use).
With 2nd display attached (and active), as long as the 3D display is set as main monitor.

Not sure what the problem was since @brazen1 said it worked on Win7. I did have an issue with the VGA card stuck at x4 3.0 with the old CPU.

Last edited by noob00224; 11-30-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
3d blu-ray , 3d converting , 3d mkv , 3d rip , 3d ripping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page