3D from AppleTV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By tomtastic
  • 1 Post By Brian Hampton
  • 1 Post By Nick Laslett
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-19-2018, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 8,913
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 755
3D from AppleTV

Hi,

I have recently changed my system so that now I use an AppleTV4K for most everything. The ATV doesn't do anything 3D. I thought I could make my 3D Blu Rays into 4k full res SBS files. And I did create a full SBS file and played it back using the ATV4K.

But, My projector wouldn't let me use any of the 3D settings. I suppose maybe it blocks them out for 4K. I could try a half SBS file and see if it looks ok...

I really expected to just tell the PJ it was getting a SBS file and have it work....

Oh, I guess one thing I could try is have the ATV output 1080p and Then play back the file and see if I can choose 3D... it may negate the good of having the full SBS file but it might work. Edit- That did work I guess my projector only does 3D in 1080p.



-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 08-19-2018 at 03:38 AM.
Brian Hampton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-19-2018, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
fingersdlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Curious about your last edit. What was the actual format of the file you got to work in 3D when outputing in 1080p from ATV. Was it the full frame SBS or half SBS. Did the ATV scale it back to 1080p if full frame so you end up getting half the res?

Also, the MRMC app for ATV has menu choices for 3D Playback but not sure what formats or if it works at all. FYI

Thanks
fingersdlp is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-19-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 3,154
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Yeah, that won't work. 4K projectors won't accept 3D in 4K resolution at this time. If you set Apple TV to 1080p that downscales it back to half resolution so sort of pointless keeping in full resolution file. You could use top/bottom full 1920x2160 and that will work on a 4K LG passive screen but it wouldn't work on other displays.

Best bet is to keep in frame packing format, either as full iso and use PDVD or a Kdlinks type device or use MKV MVC and again a media player that will handle the file.
Brian Hampton likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 8,913
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post
Curious about your last edit. What was the actual format of the file you got to work in 3D when outputing in 1080p from ATV. Was it the full frame SBS or half SBS. Did the ATV scale it back to 1080p if full frame so you end up getting half the res?

Also, the MRMC app for ATV has menu choices for 3D Playback but not sure what formats or if it works at all. FYI

Thanks
Yes. When I set my ATV for 1080p it played back and "worked" … but that losing half the resolution. A Half SBS file would work and I suppose it's the worst thing in the world … but realizing my 4K PJ doesn't let me use 3D in 4K means I'm better off using the frame packed version one way or another.

I could use some software … Off hand I own Stereoscopic player and JRiver and they can both play back frame packed 3D.

But,.. I have 3 hardware 3D BD players at hand (PS4, PS3, Sony BD 57x) so I guess it's better to just keep it simple and use it the way it was designed.
fingersdlp likes this.
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 AM
Member
 
Nick Laslett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 45
For what it’s worth, I did get a 4K SBS from my AppleTV 4K using MrMC to my Oppo 203 “HDMI In” via HDFury to trick the AppleTV to stay in 4K mode, feeding my Sony VPL-HW45 1080p projector. The Oppo converts the 3840x1080 SBS file to 3D MVC and the projector displays it the same as if it was from a 3D disc.

I gave up on this convoluted method after I discovered M2TS 3D MVC files will stream to the Oppo 203 over the Network. The AppleTV has many strengths but 3D is a struggle.
Brian Hampton likes this.
Nick Laslett is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Senior Member
 
jaychatbonneau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

I have recently changed my system so that now I use an AppleTV4K for most everything. The ATV doesn't do anything 3D. I thought I could make my 3D Blu Rays into 4k full res SBS files. And I did create a full SBS file and played it back using the ATV4K.

But, My projector wouldn't let me use any of the 3D settings. I suppose maybe it blocks them out for 4K. I could try a half SBS file and see if it looks ok...

I really expected to just tell the PJ it was getting a SBS file and have it work....

Oh, I guess one thing I could try is have the ATV output 1080p and Then play back the file and see if I can choose 3D... it may negate the good of having the full SBS file but it might work. Edit- That did work I guess my projector only does 3D in 1080p.



-Brian
Hi, Brian!

What projector are you using? How did you convert a Blu-Ray to full SBS?
jaychatbonneau is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 04-03-2019, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 8,913
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychatbonneau View Post
Hi, Brian!

What projector are you using? How did you convert a Blu-Ray to full SBS?
I use a Sony VW285ES

For the 3D BD conversion I used MakeMKV (be sure to make a 3D MKV) to make an MKV then used the free software BD3D2MK3D.

BD3D2MK3D can make full or half sbs 3dMKVs.

This video actually walks you though the whole thing but he makes a Half SBS file and it's possible to make Full SBS by changing the settings of BD3D2MK3D.

-Brian
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 04-09-2019, 10:55 PM
Senior Member
 
jaychatbonneau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Laslett View Post
For what it’s worth, I did get a 4K SBS from my AppleTV 4K using MrMC to my Oppo 203 “HDMI In” via HDFury to trick the AppleTV to stay in 4K mode, feeding my Sony VPL-HW45 1080p projector. The Oppo converts the 3840x1080 SBS file to 3D MVC and the projector displays it the same as if it was from a 3D disc.

I gave up on this convoluted method after I discovered M2TS 3D MVC files will stream to the Oppo 203 over the Network. The AppleTV has many strengths but 3D is a struggle.
Will the Oppo 203 play M2TS 3D MVC from connected storage such as a USB drive or portable HD?

Thank you so much!
jaychatbonneau is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 04-09-2019, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
jaychatbonneau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I use a Sony VW285ES

For the 3D BD conversion I used MakeMKV (be sure to make a 3D MKV) to make an MKV then used the free software BD3D2MK3D.

BD3D2MK3D can make full or half sbs 3dMKVs.

This video actually walks you though the whole thing but he makes a Half SBS file and it's possible to make Full SBS by changing the settings of BD3D2MK3D.

-Brian
Just to be clear, you got your Sony to play full SBS 3D files? If so that is wonderful.
jaychatbonneau is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 8,913
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychatbonneau View Post
Just to be clear, you got your Sony to play full SBS 3D files? If so that is wonderful.
I didn't tho... I tried. I was able to create Full SBS files and able to play Full SBS files from my ATV4K,.... However my projector doesn't support 3D in 4K so I had to make half SBS files (keeping the resolution 1080p so that I could access my projectors 3D function.

The Sony VW285ES locks out 3D for 4K.

-Brian
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 02:25 AM
Senior Member
 
jaychatbonneau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I didn't tho... I tried. I was able to create Full SBS files and able to play Full SBS files from my ATV4K,.... However my projector doesn't support 3D in 4K so I had to make half SBS files (keeping the resolution 1080p so that I could access my projectors 3D function.

The Sony VW285ES locks out 3D for 4K.

-Brian
What do you mean by 4K? Full SBS is nothing more than two 1920 x 1080 frames stitched together. 4K 3D would be much larger.
jaychatbonneau is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 02:33 AM
Senior Member
 
jaychatbonneau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I didn't tho... I tried. I was able to create Full SBS files and able to play Full SBS files from my ATV4K,.... However my projector doesn't support 3D in 4K so I had to make half SBS files (keeping the resolution 1080p so that I could access my projectors 3D function.

The Sony VW285ES locks out 3D for 4K.

-Brian
Also, frame packed 3D frames have two regular 1080p frames, one on top of the other, measuring 1920 x 2205. There is nothing 4K about that either.
jaychatbonneau is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 8,913
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychatbonneau View Post
Also, frame packed 3D frames have two regular 1080p frames, one on top of the other, measuring 1920 x 2205. There is nothing 4K about that either.
ok... we have arrived at some confusion here. Let me try to sort this out.

First of all, Frame packed 3D and SBS are different so we understand that right?

My projector can play back frame packed 3D no problem. This is how a 3DBD player would output it.

Now... we were talking about Full SBS which is 2 1080p frames side by side. This does not remain 1920x1080p ... It's often put in a 4K frame where 2 1080p stiched together frames fit. When you make a Full SBS file the resulting resolution is 3820x1080p ... this fits inside the 3840x2160 4K frame.

Any player that can play a 4K video can play a Full SBS 3D video. A player doesn't need to know it's a SBS video ... But a display needs to know it's SBS to process it and when my display gets a 4K file it locks out the 3D abilities.

When I send my projector a half SBS 3D file it has no trigger for 3D .. it's just 2 side by side images. I tell my projector to enable SBS 3D and it works. When I send my projector Full SBS it see that as 4K and locks the ability to tell it it's SBS 3D.


-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 04-10-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Brian Hampton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off