1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3DBob

post #1 of 5 Old 01-25-2019, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Getting rid of 3D Ghosting

Have a Samsung UBD-K8500 player, and the UN65HU8550 4K 3D display.
Ghosting is an issue that is really irritating me! Some films like “Avengers Infinity War” and “Titanic” are PERFECT! Other films will work well for focused characters, but the background is full of ghosting. Fixing one a cation of the screen will throw off the other. I updated the firmware for all the components and ensure I have fresh batteries in the active shutter glasses - but need some recommendations to minimize this irritant! Suggestions please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-25-2019, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Getting RID of 3D Ghosting

Join: Dec 2018

2 minutes ago &#1 83; #1
Have a Samsung UBD-K8500 player, and the UN65HU8550 4K 3D display. Ghosting is an issue that is really irritating me! Some films like “Avengers Infinity War” and “Titanic” are PERFECT! Other films will work well for focused characters, but the background is full of ghosting. Fixing one section of the screen will throw off the other. I updated the firmware for all the components and ensure I have fresh batteries in the active shutter glasses - but need some recommendations to minimize this irritant! Suggestions please?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-26-2019, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversedge3008 View Post
Join: Dec 2018

2 minutes ago &#1 83; #1
Have a Samsung UBD-K8500 player, and the UN65HU8550 4K 3D display. Ghosting is an issue that is really irritating me! Some films like “Avengers Infinity War” and “Titanic” are PERFECT! Other films will work well for focused characters, but the background is full of ghosting. Fixing one section of the screen will throw off the other. I updated the firmware for all the components and ensure I have fresh batteries in the active shutter glasses - but need some recommendations to minimize this irritant! Suggestions please?
LOL Ghosting is only and only the shotcoming of your hardware.
It´s always there if it is, it´s just that you don´t see it always if the movie content is not having high contrast scenes that hold
high contrast parts of the image with big seperation.

The only way to get better performance is by better hardware.

Eather get hmd with distinct screen per eye like royole moon for example (thoug havent tryed it yet my self but atleast it has dual amoled screens) , or 1 chip dlp if you can handle the active flashing and RBE
or with dual projection you get great results if you got superb screen with high signal to noise ration and high polarisation retention value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Ghosting is an issue that is really irritating me! Some films like “Avengers Infinity War” and “Titanic” are PERFECT! Other films will work well for focused characters, but the background is full of ghosting. Fixing one a cation of the screen will throw off the other. I updated the firmware for all the components and ensure I have fresh batteries in the active shutter glasses - but need some recommendations to minimize this irritant! Suggestions please?
Make sure you are watching in angle that is perpendicular to the middle of the screen surface. A common issue. Sitting people will be ok, but standing people will yell ugh. If that isn't the problem, then your L/R eye separation is the problem. See if you can change the separation at infinity. It should be 2.5 inches max--stop the video when you see ghosting and without glasses on, measure the Left/Right separation. Or if there is too much coming through the screen window, you will see ghosting, especially on documentaries. Again, try to adjust the separation between the Left and Right eye and see if that works. Some TVs do it on the fly, some don't.
If the K8500 player has a setting for the size of your screen in the settings, then make sure you set that to the size of your display or less (NOT GREATER). IE. 65" or less!
Car67 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
A Google search for your model display and the word "crosstalk" will give you reports of others having had ghosting issues. One review has this to say:

Quote:
3D: For some reason the HU8550 doesn't match the 3D performance I've come to expect from high-end Samsung LCDs. Watching my standard test of "Hugo," for example, I saw more crosstalk -- that ghostly double-image that's my least-favorite 3D artifact -- everywhere. Hugo's hand reaching toward the mouse and the sleeve of Méliès, for example, both showed stronger outlines than any of the other sets. As expected, the passive 3D-equipped LG delivered the brightest and cleanest 3D image.
Active glasses 3D with an LCD display is always a compromise between brightness and crosstalk. The shorter the delay between displaying the Left and Right views of a frame, the more likely it is that the liquid crystals will retain a noticeable remnant of the previously displayed view. The longer the delay is made (e.g. by inserting a short period of screen blanking between the Left and Right views) the dimmer the appearance of the picture. [There is also the question of how long the Left and Right lenses of the shutter glasses remain blanked.]

You may find that reducing the screen brightness setting will make the ghosting less noticeable, and still give you a picture that is bright enough (particularly for night-time viewing) to enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page