Dolby Cinema 3D: AMAZING (Alita Battle Angel) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-20-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Dolby Cinema 3D: AMAZING (Alita Battle Angel)

Since James Cameron produced Alita: Battle Angel and I know he's been pushing Dolby Cinema to show the upcoming Avatar sequels in 3D, I thought I should check to see if one of my local Dolby Cinemas was actually showing it in 3D (if you're not aware, they HAVE the technology, they just hardly ever use it and typically opt for 2D showings.) Lo and behold, one of them was.

Synopsis: The best damn 3D I've ever seen anywhere, but with a relatively major caveat--those damned glasses. I'll get to the good stuff in a minute but the issue with those glasses is something I experienced in an IMAX theater a few years ago with Prometheus: they have this weird blooming effect with bright images on the screen. It's like there's fog in them or something. It was significantly distracting at first but I eventually was able to ignore it and it ceased to be a distraction, but it was obvious from when I put them on (after watching all the trailers in 2D without the glasses) that there was a detrimental effect to the picture quality. The picture wasn't as clear and the blacks weren't as black, not to mention there's significant "fuzz" in your peripherals.

However, even with that side effect, THIS is what 3D was meant to be and I hope when the world collectively revists 3D with the Avatar sequels, they watch it in a Dolby Cinema theater and realize how amazingly GOOD 3D can look. I had never experienced the standard Dolby 3D (as opposed to "Dolby Cinema 3D") systems so I don't know if this is a completely new technology of it's just a matter of it being used with their amazing Dolby laser projectors.

Anyhoo, the good stuff: 1) not only was the image significantly brighter (while retaining spectacular contrast levels) but there were 2) ZERO 3D related image artifacts. I'm severely annoyed by ghosting/crosstalk and I was actively scanning the image at times trying to find any cases of it occurring and never saw a single instance. (Thought I might've seen one solitary instance out of the corner of my eye but I'm not sure and honestly I doubt it.) I could turn my head any which way, sideways or up-down, and this never changed. (I've been a DLP 3D guy for years now BTW) 3) There was also no shudder or flickering. I honestly can't recall if all passive 3D systems are the same in this regard, but motion judder often bugs me even in 2D (especially with film projection) but the image here was completely smooth. 4) Depth and pop-out ability seemed to be about the norm. It's hard to compare in this regard since those factors are heavily dependent on the source material. There was a great overhead, over-the-edge-of-a-building-roof-top shot that really demonstrated the depth and few cases of at least some slight pop-out, but nothing really IN-YOUR-FACE.

Colors may have been slightly muted but it's hard to say, since the movie didn't exactly seem to be a cornucopia of bright vivid colors and those glasses... those damn glasses.

Overall, this was my best experience in a Dolby Cinema yet. At first I thought the volume might have been a bit low (usually it's too loud in Dolby Cinemas) but once the action kicked in, the movie and the system let their dynamic capabilities burst forth with explosive force. Very nice, engaging, and smooth atmos mix and bass and dynamics aplenty. Every time I go to a DC I'm like "WHYYYY don't I have butt kickers???!!" I'm pretty sure every other buttkicker experience I've had has been more distracting then anything else, but the levels, cross-over frequency, and timing--it's so seamlessly blended with the sound mix that they HAVE to be calibrating the timing on those by rows or groups of seats. The only audio-related downside of this particular theater is that it's right next to the IMAX theater and they obviously did not adequately soundproof between the two auditoriums.

Anyhoo, if you're a 3D fan, I highly recommend checking out a Dolby Cinema 3D showing, if it's an option for you.

Last edited by javanpohl; 02-20-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 607
You should post this in the 3D content section. Few people read this thread. Post in What Have You Watched Lately. and/or the Alita Battle Angel Thread. Thanks for the review--I will check it out.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
I had never experienced the standard Dolby 3D (as opposed to "Dolby Cinema 3D") systems so I don't know if this is a completely new technology of it's just a matter of it being used with their amazing Dolby laser projectors.
Dolby Cinema is a theater with Dolby Vision and Dolby ATMOS.

Dolby 3D is passive 3D using different RGB wavelengths for each eye, with glasses having notch filters to block the other eye's RGB wavelengths. These non-disposable glasses and not compatible with other passive 3D glasses using polarization. If you are seeing absolutely no crosstalk whatsoever under any conditions, I guess the notch filters are extremely effective.

I've never seen Dolby 3D. My local cinemas have Dolby Cinema (2D) projection, and RealD 3D projection, but not Dolby Cinema 3D projection.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 02-28-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-01-2019, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hello Javanpohl:

You did such a wonderful job of describing 3D Dolby Cinema that I added it to the discussion on the 3D blu-ray forum, in their discussion on Alita: Battle Angel. If you don't want it over there let me know and I will take it down. It was just so good I thought everyone should read it. Thank you again for taking the time to do the review. Very informative.

LG 77G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65C6P/OPPO 203
post #5 of 9 Old 03-16-2019, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So hopefully this Dolby Cinema 3D will be available for home use with just one projector in the future.

Stevie
post #6 of 9 Old 04-26-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie123 View Post
So hopefully this Dolby Cinema 3D will be available for home use with just one projector in the future.
Would Dolby 3D be compatible with the current 3D media? If so, that would be great since it sounds like it would be technically possibly with projectors, but what's the likelihood a new projector would support it? Maybe only ultra high end $10k+ ones.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #7 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Would Dolby 3D be compatible with the current 3D media? If so, that would be great since it sounds like it would be technically possibly with projectors, but what's the likelihood a new projector would support it? Maybe only ultra high end $10k+ ones.
Yes, that system as I understand it, is just a different output system like passive or active 3D. Its also passive but works different.

Stevie
post #8 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie123 View Post
Yes, that system as I understand it, is just a different output system like passive or active 3D. Its also passive but works different.
Bring it on then, Samsung/Sony/Panasonic/Philips/LG/whoeverstillmakesTVs! Of course, it'll never happen, but it sounds so promising. We have to hope that James Cameron will save 3D with his Avatar triology and bring Dolby 3D to the home theater market!

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #9 of 9 Old 08-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
As far as I know:

Dolby glasses's filters, are in fact interference reflectors. It means that the unwanted ligh is reflected, not absorbed and this on the two sides of the glasses.
Omega optical developed a counterpart technology in 2010, working the same way than dolby3D but on different wavelength.

They was available for DIY dual projection, it was working fine but with some issue I describe below.

Basic dolby 3D use a single projector with a filter weel, so yes technically, this system could be adapted for single home projectors, like DLP projectors. But we all know, the 3D is not a good pass nowadays.

The issues:
The reflectors a expensive as the reflection is achieved by using hundreds of microscopic dielectric material layers (metallic layers for omega).

The reflectivity can be annoying if this technology is not used in a dark room.
The user can see that the colors are slightly different between right and left eye (but our brain adapt itself after a few minutes).
The projector's light-source must have a full white spectrum or have dedicated wavelength laser or LEDs.

good point:
Usually glasses have an extinction rate better than 1/1000 (ghost<0.1%)
Maybe the most luminous system.
Do not require a special projection screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page