1Likes
  • 1 Post By brazen1

post #1 of 11 Old 02-25-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with 3D Setup

This is one of those times I feel stupid.

I have a relatively new setup and everything except 3D works. I get the message "3D Experience Requires 3D Enabled Player and TV"

I have:
Sony UBP-X700 Player (firmware at latest).
Yamaha RX-V683 Receiver (firmware at latest)
Monoprice Blackbird 4K Splitter (powered)
Epson 5040UBe (wireless projector)
New high capacity HDMI cables.

Thinking that the splitter or the fact that I have a non-3D TV connected, I unplugged the TV from the Splitter. I also tried running the Sony player directly to the projector's transmitter (no splitter at all) just to see if I could get the video to work, no luck.

The Yamaha specs say that it supports 3D and does true pass thru (HDCP 2.2). Here's the data from their website:
Full 4K Ultra HD Support
This AV receiver completely supports the latest HDMI® standards. Thanks to transmission of 4K video at 60 frames per second pass-through, you can fully enjoy the high definition video quality of 4K without degradation. It also adheres to the HDCP 2.2 copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission. It also supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video including Dolby Vision™ and Hybrid Log-Gamma which provides incredible contrast, smooth tone and rich, bright colors. Furthermore it supports the wider color gamut of BT.2020 pass-through. This AV receiver is also compatible with 3D, Audio Return Channel and CEC for easy operation.

Everything worked just fine playing 4K UHD discs and bluray discs.

Am I missing a setup item in my Yamaha or in the Epson? I looked over the 3D setup items in the Epson and have it set to auto (tried 3D) too, same result.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-26-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Have you tried more than one 3D movie? This happens with some old bluray discs. You should always turn on the projector first. That way it will it will be visible to the X700. If you turn on the X700 first then the projector, it might not see the projector. If you are going through your receiver, then turn on projector first, then the receiver, then the x700.

In the X700 setup, put everything on auto, and make sure the 3D setting is on, not off. And set type of source to Projector. Also change the size of the screen to your actual screen size.

Try turning the X700 off, then on again--this sometimes works. Splitters can be an issue as I have discovered, so try to go directly to projector. Do you have a previous bluray player that has 3D, but not 4K? You might try to see if that works.

Many of us that go through receivers have had problems with 3D also. If it continues, I would try another cable. How long of a cable run do you have?
post #3 of 11 Old 02-26-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Have you tried more than one 3D movie? This happens with some old bluray discs. You should always turn on the projector first. That way it will it will be visible to the X700. If you turn on the X700 first then the projector, it might not see the projector. If you are going through your receiver, then turn on projector first, then the receiver, then the x700.

In the X700 setup, put everything on auto, and make sure the 3D setting is on, not off. And set type of source to Projector. Also change the size of the screen to your actual screen size.

Try turning the X700 off, then on again--this sometimes works. Splitters can be an issue as I have discovered, so try to go directly to projector. Do you have a previous bluray player that has 3D, but not 4K? You might try to see if that works.

Many of us that go through receivers have had problems with 3D also. If it continues, I would try another cable. How long of a cable run do you have?
Thanks Bob.
I'm using a brand new 3D disc from the movie Passengers (came with the 4K UHD disc).

I will try the power-up sequences and check the settings--that is what I wanted to know...wasn't sure what to set it to.

Regarding the cables, I'm only running 5ft cables and they are all new high speed cables...I've tried swapping them around thinking I may have had a bad connection.

I'll post results...thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-26-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 219
3D does not work on non-3D TVs.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #5 of 11 Old 02-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 339
He's using a 3D capable PJ.
RonAlam likes this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #6 of 11 Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilerbird View Post
3D does not work on non-3D TVs.
I questioned that too until I realized he was using the splitter for both a regular non-3D TV and the Epson projector.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-26-2019, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
I questioned that too until I realized he was using the splitter for both a regular non-3D TV and the Epson projector.
I still don't think that will work.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #8 of 11 Old 02-26-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are right. The splitter isn't going to detect the EDID coming back from the projector telling the X700 it's a 3D player. Also, I just realized he's going through wireless to the projector, and that is probably a one way communication, so @Mark Smolen needs to be directly connected with the projector.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-26-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I would question the wireless link. It may just not have the bandwidth for HDMI 1.4. Recommend trying plugging in the HDMI cable directly into the projector.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Standard troubleshooting. Connect x700 directly to projector with HDMI cable and see if you get 3D.

If you don't get 3D, there is disc/settings/firmware/cable issue.

If you do get 3D, then the problem is one of the devices that you removed from the chain. One by one add a device to the chain (receiver, splitter, wireless adapter). When 3D stops working, you'll know which component has the problem. Depending on which component it is, it may have an incorrect settings, it might need a firmware update, or it may simply be incompatible.

One of the unfortunate aspects of HDMI+HDCP is that, even if every device is individually compatible and configured correctly, the sheer number of devices and even physical distances can cause various problems.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-01-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I have a somewhat similar issue with my wired Epson 5040UB and the Monoprice 4x4 4K matrix switch. I have an Oppo 103D and have to set it to force 3D...it no longer works when Oppo 3D is set to Auto. I can leave the projector set to Auto and it will recognize the 3D from the Oppo when the Oppo is in Force mode.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends

Need motivation? Get LOGANED
The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page