Optimal format for LG OLED 3D stills - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Actionable Mango

post #1 of 5 Old 02-27-2019, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Optimal format for LG OLED 3D stills

Hi All,
I recently purchased a used 4K LG OLED TV (65 EP6) and am trying to determine the best format for high resolution viewing of 3D stills. I have a lot of images that were shot in 4X3 ratio with 5Mp and higher file resolutions. In attempting to look at images previously processed as JPS in side by side format, they present as stretched in the horizontal axis. Reprocessing as "Half Width" SBS in Stereo Photo Maker (SPM) resolves the aspect ratio problem and seems to be using all of the available resolution of the screen.

I am viewing images "live" from SPM running on a Windows 10 computer into the HDMI input. This allows dynamic zooming and resampling of the image to output at 2160 X 3840 pixels. My question is if anyone can point me to any definitive information for getting the best results from a static image loaded from a USB drive? I have heard that using the over under format and resizing each of the images to 1/2 the vertical resolution (1080 pixels for each image) produces the clearest image. Does anyone know if the TV can down sample to 4K resolution limits for images larger than 2160 X 3480 pixels?

Also, does anyone know of an explanation for achieving the best results from these TV's using the HDR and deep color features for still 3D images or for self mastered 3D Blu-Ray videos of 3D slideshows with pans and zooms?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The maximum display resolution of 3d images of your display is 3840x1080 per eye. You can make each eye to resolution 3840x2160, anamorphic squish each eye to 3840x1080 and put left eye on top right eye on bottom to one full image of 3840x2160. Put TV into Top Bottom mode. If your images are not 16x9 you should add black bars to the image to avoid stretching.

Another method is to build the left and right eye images into 1080 horizontal lines left eye - right eye interleave. Supply this image to the TV and put on your 3d glasses, no need to put the TV into any mode as your image will match the polarizing filter of your display.

Sorry, I have no experience mastering 3d blurays, but I can tell you that standard 3d bluray does not support HDR and does not support resolutions above 1920x1080.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-28-2019, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post
The maximum display resolution of 3d images of your display is 3840x1080 per eye. You can make each eye to resolution 3840x2160, anamorphic squish each eye to 3840x1080 and put left eye on top right eye on bottom to one full image of 3840x2160. Put TV into Top Bottom mode. If your images are not 16x9 you should add black bars to the image to avoid stretching.

Another method is to build the left and right eye images into 1080 horizontal lines left eye - right eye interleave. Supply this image to the TV and put on your 3d glasses, no need to put the TV into any mode as your image will match the polarizing filter of your display.

Sorry, I have no experience mastering 3d blurays, but I can tell you that standard 3d bluray does not support HDR and does not support resolutions above 1920x1080.
Hi Obveron,
Thanks for your reply and information. I had not realized that it was possible to present interlaced images that way, but it makes sense.

On a different but somewhat related topic, I have not kept up with the latest developments in post processing of still images with software for extending dynamic range or expanded or remapped color gamuts. I am wondering if you or others know of programs that will do image enhancements that produce HDR like effects, and or can interpolate deeper color reproduction for presentation on the new TV's and projectors?

I realize that the real magic with HDR requires an image file with multiple exposures, but it seems that there have been some amazing add-ons for Adobe Lightroom and other packages that work with normal images.
Any thoughts on this? Also, if one were going for the best photographic reproduction of images on a 4K TV (non 3D), is it best to go through the HDMI port and treat the image as video signal or as an image file through the USB port? Is there any appreciable difference in how the images are decoded and presented?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-28-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veem View Post
My question is if anyone can point me to any definitive information for getting the best results from a static image loaded from a USB drive?
I don't know about definitive, but the LG's media viewer supports .MPO and .JPS files (stereo picture formats). So I'd just use SPM to export your photos into to one of those formats, copy the files to USB, and use the LG's media viewer.

All that stuff about panning, zooming, 3D, HDR, 4KUHD, and burned onto a blu-ray...well it's a huge understatement to say that is a tall order. I don't think there is any software out there to combine all of your requirements in one.
obveron likes this.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 02-28-2019 at 03:00 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2019, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Sorry Veem I really can't help with mastering in HDR. My limited knowledge tells me you would need a workstation graphics card capable of 10bit HDR output and a 10bit HDR workflow in professional applications such as light room. Typical gaming graphics cards can only output 10bit HDR in gaming applications and movie playback applications but are artificially limited to 8bit SDR in professional editing tools.
Doom9 forum is probably your best resource of knowledgeable people to help with mastering a home video file in HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
hdr , lg 4k oled 65 ep6 , spm , stereo 3d , stereo images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page