AVS Forum banner

SmoothVideo Project with 3D

6K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  ryudoadema 
#1 · (Edited)
As a prelude it was pretty easy getting 3D SBS/OU material to output 60fps on my Benq HT3050 ( or most other 3D displays that support it) using a strong PC, and supposedly the same can be done with 3D blu-ray and MK3D for 720p/60hz frame-packing content ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶4̶8̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶1̶2̶0̶

I am wondering if anyone has any experience using SVP on an HTPC with 3D content (mainly frame-packing blu-ray or mk3d)? For those who don't know, it is software that renders extra frames (ie frame interpolation) into just about any video when used in conjunction with many video players on a PC. It uses a bit of juice so you need a decent dedicated gpu and cpu.

I have spent the day trying to get SVP to work with either mk3d or 3D blu-ray. Actually the problem is that SVP does not work with my (and many others) 3D playing software PowerDVD, but it does work with mpc-be and mpc-hc. I can't get these formats to play in their native 3D formats with these programs, though. I went through several sets of instructions including http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4163 and https://www.avforums.com/threads/guide-playing-frame-packed-3d-with-madvr.2030649/. The videos either try and play in a messed up OU/SBS mode, play in 2D, or crashes the program on full-screen.

As said earlier, it worked easily on SBS and OU 3D content. It was pretty cool too. There was some visual artifacts here and there, but it really does work and FI in 3D is much nicer than in 2D imo. I may be able to get rid of some/most of the artifacts since there are so many options between the player, madvr and SVP. I just didn't get to them since I was trying to get the superior 3D formats working.

I've been eyeing up the Optoma uhd-51a/lv and trying to figure out if they have any FI in 3D mode since I've enjoyed it in the past. We can't get a concrete answer on that so I'm just assuming no. Then I figured if I can get FI working with my 3D content regardless of the projector/display, it opens up my options a bit more.

Mostly I wanted to start the discussion on this topic to see if anyone else is interested, and I could not find anything about it while searching here. Any questions I can drop my very limited knowledge on you as well!

Edit: I am also aware that I will likely not be able to view any frame-packing 3D above 24fps as that is the limit of my projector. I was just trying to figure out if I'd be able to use it on my next hypothetical projector that did support higher hz. Looking at specs of some newer 4k ones for example those uhd51's, maybe there are none that go above 24hz frame-packing 1080p 3D?

See less See more
#2 ·
As a prelude it was pretty easy getting 3D SBS/OU material to output 60fps on my Benq HT3050 ( or most other 3D displays that support it) using a strong PC, and supposedly the same can be done with 3D blu-ray and MK3D for frame-packing content and other framerates such as 48 or 120.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience using SVP on an HTPC with 3D content (mainly frame-packing blu-ray or mk3d)? For those who don't know, it is software that renders extra frames (ie frame interpolation) into just about any video when used in conjunction with many video players on a PC. It uses a bit of juice so you need a decent dedicated gpu and nice cpu for full-res 3D at least.

I have spent the day trying to get SVP to work with either mk3d or 3D blu-ray. Actually the problem is that SVP does not work with my (and many others) 3D playing software PowerDVD, but it does work with mpc-be and mpc-hc. I can't get these formats to play in their native 3D formats with these programs, though. I went through several sets of instructions including http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4163 and https://www.avforums.com/threads/guide-playing-frame-packed-3d-with-madvr.2030649/. The videos either try and play in a messed up OU/SBS mode, play in 2D, or crashes the program on full-screen.

As said earlier, it worked easily on SBS and OU 3D content. It was pretty cool too. There was some visual artifacts here and there, but it really does work and FI in 3D is much nicer than in 2D imo. I may be able to get rid of some/most of the artifacts since there are so many options between the player, madvr and SVP. I just didn't get to them since I was trying to get the superior 3D formats working.

I've been eyeing up the Optoma uhd-51a/lv and trying to figure out if they have any FI in 3D mode since I've enjoyed it in the past. We can't get a concrete answer on that so I'm just assuming no. Then I figured if I can get FI working with my 3D content regardless of the projector/display, it opens up my options a bit more.

Mostly I wanted to start the discussion on this topic to see if anyone else is interested, and I could not find anything about it while searching here. Any questions I can drop my very limited knowledge on you as well!

Edit: I am also aware that I will likely not be able to view any frame-packing 3D above 24fps as that is the limit of my projector. I was just trying to figure out if I'd be able to use it on my next hypothetical projector that did support higher hz. Looking at specs of some newer 4k ones for example those uhd51's, maybe there are none that go above 24hz frame-packing 1080p 3D?
The Optoma 51alv, like most projectors that do 3D, will do 1280x720p 60fps frame packing as well as 1080p 24fps framepacking--since these two formats are the bluray 3D standard. Optoma has said in the past that the 51a/lv series does frame interpolation in 3D, but has recently stated it does not. That said, in 3D mode, frame interpolation is greyed out to low. I do think there is some minor interpolation, but nothing significant. All of my home-brew 3D bluray videos now, I've redone into 720x60p bluray, and they are just simply great! I don't see any degrading of the image, and since the image gets upscaled to 1080p resolution (because that is the resolution of the chip used), the picture blows me away. That said, I use a bluray player and not my computer, so the software you mention is a mute point for me.

See page 61 of your user manual for the 3050. It will do both 720x60p and 1080x24p frame-packing.

#3 ·
Thanks! I knew that my and most pjs are limited to 24hz frame-packing in 1080p. I was just hoping that since there are some cutting edge movies coming out with higher fps (like Billy Lynn) that maybe there were some pjs or other displays upcoming that could do more. I know some people enjoy FI with 3D and not many pjs do this, so this could be another option for those with a PC/HTPC.

I wish I could get the Blu-rays or mk3ds working with one of the said programs, then I could do the 720p/60hz without re-encoding to sbs- though I suppose the resolution would be about equal if I understand correctly. 1280x720 (preferred due to the balanced res) vs 960x1080.

#4 ·
720x60p doesn't half the resolution like SBS does. Remember, that it is also frame packed 1280x720 resolution, that is upscaled on an 1920x1080 chip. The human eye/brain also combines both eyes in 3D to double the apparent resolution, whereas in a 2D movie, each eye gets EXACTLY the same image and resolution. It's a 3d phenom, that mostly gets ignored.

#5 ·
So that's why quality 3d looks so much sharper than it's 2d equivalent. I always just assumed it was due to the layering and distinct separation. 720p frame-packed material should look nearly as sharp as flat 1080p then? In that case I have a reason to continue trying to get mk3d and blu-ray 3d working with MVP!

#10 ·
@noob00224 The original video is 30p, so there is no 24p interpolation to 60p. Going from 30p to 60p is relatively smooth. The problem with 30p original video going to 24p to save the 1080p resolution is the judder you get from that interpolation.
So what is the best process to get an 1080p@24Hz frame packed blu ray to 720p frame packed (whatever resolution)?
If the frame rate is changed from 24p upward is there any interpolation done there?

#16 ·
I created a dual-stream file out of Edius of a 1080x24p file. Dual stream is essentially like a frame-packed 3D file and can be viewed by PowerDVD as 3D. I input that into Powerdirector 17 and created a 720x60p bluray iso file. I then tried to view that in PowerDVD, and it could not be read. I tried several different versions of PowerDVD, and all were the same. At one point it gave me an out of range error. So my conclusion is you are not going to be able to create a 720x60p frame-packed file from a 1080x24p file. Might be a false conclusion since I only did this with one file.

#21 ·
As a prelude it was pretty easy getting 3D SBS/OU material to output 60fps on my Benq HT3050 ( or most other 3D displays that support it) using a strong PC, and supposedly the same can be done with 3D blu-ray and MK3D for 720p/60hz frame-packing content ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶4̶8̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶1̶2̶0̶

I am wondering if anyone has any experience using SVP on an HTPC with 3D content (mainly frame-packing blu-ray or mk3d)? For those who don't know, it is software that renders extra frames (ie frame interpolation) into just about any video when used in conjunction with many video players on a PC. It uses a bit of juice so you need a decent dedicated gpu and cpu.

I have spent the day trying to get SVP to work with either mk3d or 3D blu-ray. Actually the problem is that SVP does not work with my (and many others) 3D playing software PowerDVD, but it does work with mpc-be and mpc-hc. I can't get these formats to play in their native 3D formats with these programs, though. I went through several sets of instructions including Howto: play BD3D with SVP using MPC-BE or Daum PotPlayer (Page 1) — Using SVP — SmoothVideo Project and Guide: Playing frame-packed 3D with madVR. The videos either try and play in a messed up OU/SBS mode, play in 2D, or crashes the program on full-screen.

Hello, did you manage to make it work with SVP? I've purchased SVP recently and tried to use it for MK3D and BD3D .iso with PotPlayer using guidance from this thread Howto: play BD3D with SVP using MPC-BE or Daum PotPlayer (Page 1) — Using SVP — SmoothVideo Project, but without any success.

I have BenQ TK800M projector, which supports 1080p/60Hz OU / SBS. I can play frame-packed 1080p/24Hz MK3D in PotPlayer using MVC codec, but the judder is very visible in comparison with my old 4K Sony Passive 3D TV (already retired). So, I hoped that using SVP interpolation will help a lot. I can see that it works for people from SVP thread above and they are happy. Maybe it is limitation of my projector?

#23 ·
Hello, did you manage to make it work with SVP? I've purchased SVP recently and tried to use it for MK3D and BD3D .iso with PotPlayer using guidance from this thread Howto: play BD3D with SVP using MPC-BE or Daum PotPlayer (Page 1) — Using SVP — SmoothVideo Project, but without any success.
Hi Grincho. I don't think I ever did, but I can't remember. I got a 5040ub since then that does FI in 3d, so have not as much use for it anymore. Now my PC video time is spent fiddling with JRiver/MadVR using the amazing HDR>SDR2020 conversions and just play my 3d vids off the Zidoo.

#22 ·
Actually I've managed frame-packed BD3D to work with MPC-BE and SVP. In MPC-BE I had to choose Stereo 3D mode: Half Over-Under and in SVP "3D: over-under stereopair". I had to manually set screen resolution in NVIDIA Control Panel to 1080p and switch to Top-Bottom in BenQ settings (also manually). After that I've got 3D image, also worked with madVR renderer. But couldn't get 3D in PotPlayer yet (maybe LAV filters to blame, as that's only difference with MPC-BE).

As I understand full Over-Under is not possible with BenQ TK800M projector, as it can take maximum 1080p@60Hz Over-Under?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.