What the heck is the deal with RF Active 3D Glasses availability? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What the heck is the deal with RF Active 3D Glasses availability?

Holy moly. I'm only looking to get about 3 pairs of cost-effective (but good quality) active 3D glasses for my Epson 5050UB.

"Dude, there's already a thread that compares these, use the search function."

Let me show you how well I've used the search function, and sunk 3 hours of searching.

1) The Epson-branded glasses ELPGS03 glasses are nearly $100 a piece. Absolutely everyone says that while the benchmark of glasses for Epson, they are NOT worth $100 each. The interesting thing? Most major retailers are OUT OF STOCK on them. Bestbuy has none. Frys has one left ($87). They are not even really on eBay, zero are available from the US. The ones that are on eBay are from China, and currently $48 if I buy two, plus the 2-week wait for shipping and the worry about them being counterfeit. Holy moly Epson....

2) Hi-shock. Hi-shocks look awesome and seem to be recommended. But guess what? Their website appears to be abandoned. They have no Amazon store anymore. There's nothing from them on eBay. The last time the website (which is quite damn poor, even for china) has been updated appears to be 3 years ago. Are they out of business? Seriously, click on this (their homepage), then click on "store": http://www.hishock.com/EN_index.html

3) Samsung SSG-5150GB glasses. These are the "most" available, but they are certainly not swimming on the market. I can easily scrounge up 3 pairs from multiple venders for around $15-25 a pair, but the reviews say they are "cheap" and will break and not very good. So I worry about the quality. However....they are available...what to do?!

4) People have talked about "ValueView", but there is no such thing anymore.

What to do....what to do. $48 for the Epson glasses seems reasonable, but why do I have to buy from China and wait so long to get them? Are the Samsung 5150 that bad?

Last edited by FendersRule; 07-16-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'd get the Samsung 5150. They are light weight and use coin cell batteries so you won't have issues with the rechargeable batteries no longer being able to recharge. The one thing I didn't like about them is they didn't block ambient light from the sides but that's not an issue with a projector since you are in a dark room.

I've got a couple of the Epson glasses that came with my projector but I don't like them as much as my current glasses, the LG AG-S350. The LG 350 is very lightweight but flimsy, already broke two glasses at the hinges. I do not advise getting these though because they are old spec and might not work with all tv/projectors. Doesn't work with my panasonic tv but they work fine with my epson 3020 projector.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-17-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 74
sony glasses work also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-17-2019, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks all. I ordered 2 x Epson glasses. My other 2 will be Samsung glasses in-case the room gets packed for some 3D viewing!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-17-2019, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The Samsung SSG-5100GB's should also work if the 5150's work, they use the CR2032 batteries (think the 5150's were CR2025). I picked up some new that were clearly a few years old so by that point in time the bundled batteries were completely dead, I expect rechargeable batteries internal to the glasses would probably be severely degraded or dead as well by now. The ear pieces are fairly fragile snap-ins (held in with 2 thin plastic prongs, one for each side) however the main frames are pretty sturdy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page