3D not working consistently with Sony XBR-55X850C - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-17-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3D not working consistently with Sony XBR-55X850C

I have a Sony XBR-55X850C that I purchased about 4 years ago and I have installed Kodi on it and stream movies that I have stored on my NAS. I thought I would try out the 3D feature of this TV and bought some active 3D glasses (XPAND) and synced then with the TV. I have Creature from the Black Lagoon in mkv (SBS) format. I stream that through Kodi and I am able to watch the movie in 3D. I downloaded some sample 3D files from kodi.wiki/view/Samples (H(SBS) Alita Battle Angel Trailer) but when I play that it just shows two pictures side by side. It's almost like the TV isn't getting the signal to join the two SBS pictures together. Any idea why Creature from the Black Lagoon works but the other one doesn't?

Also, on that samples page I see some MVC samples. What's required to play those in 3D? I streamed it via Kodi and it was just a 2D picture.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-17-2019, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi, Creature of the B L, is full sbs or half sbs like the other samples?

I don't own a 3d tv, just a projector, but if you press the 3d button on your remote does it work?

3d formats can be recognized with certain name tags
https://kodi.wiki/view/3D
but only a few videos respect those rules.
Usually you have to push the 3d button to engage 3d on a device.

Check out other videos in the contents section of 3d central, or the library in my sign...

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, Sony BDP-S6700,
3D RF glasses: Epson, Samsung, Xpand. Fuji FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max, 3D Tablet F892B
YT 3D Video Library

Last edited by Car67; 10-17-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-19-2019, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car67 View Post
Hi, Creature of the B L, is full sbs or half sbs like the other samples?

I don't own a 3d tv, just a projector, but if you press the 3d button on your remote does it work?

3d formats can be recognized with certain name tagkodi.wiki/view/3D"]https://kodi.wiki/view/3D
but only a few videos respect those rules.
Usually you have to push the 3d button to engage 3d on a device.

Check out other videos in the contents section of 3d central, or the library in my sign...
Creature from the Black Lagoon is half SBS similar to the samples that I downloaded.

My dog chewed up the original Sony remote a while back and I replaced it with another Sony remote. This new remote doesn't have a 3D button and I don't think the original had a 3D button either but I can't be sure. I believe the TV is supposed to automatically switch to 3D mode. And it does switch to 3D and combines the two pictures with Creature from the B L but not the other ones I have tried.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-19-2019, 09:03 PM

Try this....
https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/cusltn.../02-02_03.html
Or this
https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/cusltn.../08-02_12.html

Other 3d troubleshooting cases....
https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/cusltn...003/08-02.html

Actually I see there is no 3d button, googling pictures of this remote, however 3d functions can be accessed pressing Action menu / 3D as explained.

Other manuals
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...anuals-lang=en

3D RF glasses: Epson, Samsung, Xpand. Fuji FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max, 3D Tablet F892B
YT 3D Video Library

Last edited by Car67; 10-20-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. I think I have figured out what's going on but there are some things (regarding this TV and 3D) that I still don't understand. I got 3D to work consistently and following is what I had to do:

What I understand
- I have a Amazon Fire stick 4K that's plugged into HDMI-2. I couldn't get 3D to work through Kodi/Fire Stick until I set the Fire Stick to 1080/60 and HDMI-2 to standard mode. Setting either Fire Stick to Auto (4K) or HDMI-2 port to "enhanced" or both disabled the 3D feature. This makes sense as this TV only supports 3D with 1080 and not 4K

What I don't understand
- I have Kodi installed as an app on my TV. I use the TV Koid and play a 3D movie and I press the menu to get to 3D and it says "feature not available". I get the same response for all 3D files I have tried. I get the same message when I use VLC as the media player. All except "Creature from the Black Lagoon". This movie plays fine through any TV app (Kodi, VLC, etc)

- After playing couple of 3D files or after a couple of days the 3D effect gets very jittery/distorted. Only fix is to reboot the TV and it's good again for a while

Martin
post #6 of 6 Old 10-24-2019, 03:20 PM

I don't know much about kodi and other video apps with nas streaming, I just own a standard bluray 3d player in my signature and android player himedia q5pro capable of reading 3d iso with the embedded super-no-frills player, and that is enough for me. And I have no clue why videos get distorted after days, wrong settings should affect videos immediately, I hope someone else can help you Martin.

YT 3D Video Library
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page