3D Not Displaying Properly BenQ 2050a - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-02-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
3D Not Displaying Properly BenQ 2050a

So this week I've been choosing between the Epson 2100 and the BenQ 2050a. Earlier this week, I watched Jurassic World in 3D on my Playstation 4 w/ Epson 2100 (frame sequential). It looked phenomenal.

Today I decided I wanted to try the 3D capabilities on the 2050a. I bought Spy Kids 3D on Vudu for $5 as my demo material. Auto was greyed out, as well as frame sequential / packing. The two lit up options were Side By Side and Top Bottom. Neither worked, just showed a semi-3D version of two overlapping images that didn't converge in any way. Time for Google.

Google directed me to try setting the resolution to 720P. Once applying 720P, frame sequential became available. While this worked, the 3D was very shallow and looked NOTHING like the fully immersive 1080P 3D Jurassic World experience I had with the Epson 2100. I want to try renting Jurassic World again to see if I can get it to view a full 1080P frame sequential image on the 2050a.

In any case, shouldn't the 2050a be able to display frame sequencing @1080p? Any idea why it would be greyed out? Secondly, is there a way to get the side by side 3D to work? Do I need to enable something for that to work? Lastly, is there any way to adjust the 3D effect on the 2050a? The Epson has a bunch of different options to tinker with to create a better 3D image. Can't find anything on the 2050a.

Thanks in advance to anyone that is able to help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboucher790 View Post
So this week I've been choosing between the Epson 2100 and the BenQ 2050a. Earlier this week, I watched Jurassic World in 3D on my Playstation 4 w/ Epson 2100 (frame sequential). It looked phenomenal.

Today I decided I wanted to try the 3D capabilities on the 2050a. I bought Spy Kids 3D on Vudu for $5 as my demo material. Auto was greyed out, as well as frame sequential / packing. The two lit up options were Side By Side and Top Bottom. Neither worked, just showed a semi-3D version of two overlapping images that didn't converge in any way. Time for Google.

Google directed me to try setting the resolution to 720P. Once applying 720P, frame sequential became available. While this worked, the 3D was very shallow and looked NOTHING like the fully immersive 1080P 3D Jurassic World experience I had with the Epson 2100. I want to try renting Jurassic World again to see if I can get it to view a full 1080P frame sequential image on the 2050a.

In any case, shouldn't the 2050a be able to display frame sequencing @1080p? Any idea why it would be greyed out? Secondly, is there a way to get the side by side 3D to work? Do I need to enable something for that to work? Lastly, is there any way to adjust the 3D effect on the 2050a? The Epson has a bunch of different options to tinker with to create a better 3D image. Can't find anything on the 2050a.

Thanks in advance to anyone that is able to help!
Before first, you are comparing one of the best 3D conversions out there to... Spy what? And Bluray to streaming? It is probably x5+ the bitrate; not a valid comparison.

Frame sequenced 3d is at 120 Hz refresh rate, at 1080p it exceeds the bandwidth of HDMI 1.4. This is why you can have it only as 720p. Not all displays can do even that, that is, any frame sequenced; don't know about 2050a (I have the short throw version, but have never explored anything beyond the Bluray/frame-packed capability).

The side-by-side usually has to be manually activated, from the 3D menu, as it is not automatically recognized from a regular 2D 1080p.

You can adjust the 3D separation on the projector - that is, increase it beyond what is already in the video. The projector just decreases the overlap of the right and left frames (you get bands at the side edges).

My guess is you could not find 3D settings because it did not detect, and you did not set manually, a 3D signal.

Good luck, and enjoy.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-05-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post
Before first, you are comparing one of the best 3D conversions out there to... Spy what? And Bluray to streaming? It is probably x5+ the bitrate; not a valid comparison.

Frame sequenced 3d is at 120 Hz refresh rate, at 1080p it exceeds the bandwidth of HDMI 1.4. This is why you can have it only as 720p. Not all displays can do even that, that is, any frame sequenced; don't know about 2050a (I have the short throw version, but have never explored anything beyond the Bluray/frame-packed capability).

The side-by-side usually has to be manually activated, from the 3D menu, as it is not automatically recognized from a regular 2D 1080p.

You can adjust the 3D separation on the projector - that is, increase it beyond what is already in the video. The projector just decreases the overlap of the right and left frames (you get bands at the side edges).

My guess is you could not find 3D settings because it did not detect, and you did not set manually, a 3D signal.

Good luck, and enjoy.
Both were streaming, and I tried to play JP again and it’s at 720p too it seems. Pretty sure everything is working fine....just Spy Kids is terrible at reproducing 3D (even though it’s a made for 3D movie). Streaming 3D looks great, no “need” for BR. Also, I thought I read this projector did 1080p, which is why I thought something was “off”.

Going to test some more, are there any frame sequenced YouTube 3D demos I can try? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page