1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3DBob

post #1 of 12 Old 11-08-2019, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is 3D really dead?

Geesh, I was just ready to pick up a few pairs of glasses this Christmas to use with my JVC and someone sent me this article. What do you guys think?

https://www.lifewire.com/why-3d-tv-died-4126776

Rick

JVC DLA-X590R Projector, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR-S940H, 125" Milliskin Silver/White Spandex AT Screen, Black Velvet on hung ceiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Geesh, I was just ready to pick up a few pairs of glasses this Christmas to use with my JVC and someone sent me this article. What do you guys think?

https://www.lifewire.com/why-3d-tv-died-4126776

Rick
Doesn't mean you can't pick up a few glasses if you have a 3D TV. There are plenty of 3D bluray movies available, but not many are sold locally these days. Mostly have to go to Amazon. And yes, 3D TVs are no longer made except a few very expensive ones, and I think these are no out of production as well. There are a lot of 3D projectors still being sold, though. You won't find much if any commercial TV/Cable 3D stuff anymore for sure. And of course the shift to 4K has pushed studios to abandon 3D movies for home use and produce mostly 4K media now.

Were there specific 3D movies you wanted to watch? There are whole threads dedicated to 3D movies here.

Edit: You won't find glasses sold locally these days, but still available on Amazon as well.
rdlohr likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Doesn't mean you can't pick up a few glasses if you have a 3D TV. There are plenty of 3D bluray movies available, but not many are sold locally these days. Mostly have to go to Amazon. And yes, 3D TVs are no longer made except a few very expensive ones, and I think these are no out of production as well. There are a lot of 3D projectors still being sold, though. You won't find much if any commercial TV/Cable 3D stuff anymore for sure. And of course the shift to 4K has pushed studios to abandon 3D movies for home use and produce mostly 4K media now.

Were there specific 3D movies you wanted to watch? There are whole threads dedicated to 3D movies here.

Edit: You won't find glasses sold locally these days, but still available on Amazon as well.
No, I was actually looking for a 3D simulator for remote control helicopters and that's where I was told that it was not likely anyone would bother to make one. They are all headed down the VR/AR path. I will likely pick up some glasses and movies while I still can. It's too bad the industry is going south because I still find the whole concept really cool. I guess I will have to wait for holographic projection to be the norm.

Rick

JVC DLA-X590R Projector, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR-S940H, 125" Milliskin Silver/White Spandex AT Screen, Black Velvet on hung ceiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
No, I was actually looking for a 3D simulator for remote control helicopters and that's where I was told that it was not likely anyone would bother to make one. They are all headed down the VR/AR path. I will likely pick up some glasses and movies while I still can. It's too bad the industry is going south because I still find the whole concept really cool. I guess I will have to wait for holographic projection to be the norm.

Rick
Nvidia with ending support for 3D with the 425.31 driver made 3DtvPlay free.
Not sure what specific game or simulation are using, but there are a lot of supported games.
There is other software that support games, and community updates for various games.

Last edited by noob00224; 11-09-2019 at 05:44 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Nvidia with ending support for 3D with the 425.31 driver made 3DtvPlay free.
Not sure what specific game or simulation are using, but there are a lot of supported games.
There is other software that support games, and community updates for various games.
I hadn't really intended to play any games. I would likely hurl, lol.
Flying helis is kind of a niche hobby so there are only really a few vendors making simulators so I don't expect to see anything from them now.
I'm still intrigued with the movie idea though.
Any recommendations for equipment to use with my JVC?

Rick

post #6 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hadn't really intended to play any games. I would likely hurl, lol.
Flying helis is kind of a niche hobby so there are only really a few vendors making simulators so I don't expect to see anything from them now.
I'm still intrigued with the movie idea though.
Any recommendations for equipment to use with my JVC?

Rick
By equipment you mean 3D glasses? There are a few threads with recommendations.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
By equipment you mean 3D glasses? There are a few threads with recommendations.
Yes, and whatever else I need. I'm not on this forum much. Can you point me there?

Thanks
Rick

post #8 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, and whatever else I need. I'm not on this forum much. Can you point me there?

Thanks
Rick
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...r-jvcs-13.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=JVC+...IoBDAAegQIABAM

As to how to use a software in 3D i'm not so sure.
What is the simulator called? What OS is it on?
Do you have a PC? What GPU?
post #9 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...r-jvcs-13.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=JVC+...IoBDAAegQIABAM

As to how to use a software in 3D i'm not so sure.
What is the simulator called? What OS is it on?
Do you have a PC? What GPU?
Thanks for the links. That is what I needed. Don't worry about the simulator part. I'll work that through the heli forums. Its likely unobtainium though due to the limited volume of people wanting it.

Rick

post #10 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the links. That is what I needed. Don't worry about the simulator part. I'll work that through the heli forums. Its likely unobtainium though due to the limited volume of people wanting it.

Rick
If the GPU is Nvidia the Geforce forums still has an active 3D community.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-09-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If the GPU is Nvidia the Geforce forums still has an active 3D community.
Thanks, but the problem is on the heli simulator side. There are only a few and they don't support it and don't plan to. They are putting their time into standard monitors and VR/AR.

Rick

post #12 of 12 Old 11-10-2019, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Makes sense, since people will either have a standard monitor or if they wanted to do immersion do it using VR which is extremely well supported these days.

Though that reminds me I probably should upgrade my RC sim. Last time I looked into software upgrades I got horrendously confused because the controllers may or may not be compatible. That and all the addons may or may not be compatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page