3d projector question!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-11-2019, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation 3d projector question!!

hi everyone! I am in the market for a 3D projector. I currently have a 720p DLP Link 3D ready projector that i am using with my PC. I have a beefy I7 and a GTX 1060 so graphics arent a problem for me. I am currently playing 3d content with stereoscopic player because they are short films that I create that I am displaying. I am wanting to upgrade to Full HD 1080p 3D and I have no idea if that format works with a PC. I am currently looking at a great condition used Epson Home Cinema 5100 and a few optoma and BenQ projectors. Does anyone have a recommendation of what projector to buy and if it will work with my PC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-11-2019, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Check out the classifieds a lot of great projectors on there for cheap! My recommendation is the Epson 5040UB

Marantz SR6013 DIYSG 1099s Volt 6s Dayton PA-460s Inuke 3000 MiniDSP 2x4
post #3 of 7 Old 12-11-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callan Rustad View Post
hi everyone! I am in the market for a 3D projector. I currently have a 720p DLP Link 3D ready projector that i am using with my PC. I have a beefy I7 and a GTX 1060 so graphics arent a problem for me. I am currently playing 3d content with stereoscopic player because they are short films that I create that I am displaying. I am wanting to upgrade to Full HD 1080p 3D and I have no idea if that format works with a PC. I am currently looking at a great condition used Epson Home Cinema 5100 and a few optoma and BenQ projectors. Does anyone have a recommendation of what projector to buy and if it will work with my PC?
I had an Epson 5020 which developed problems after about 6 years. I considered the 5040 but it is known to have 3D crosstalk issues. If you look, you'll find some threads about this on AVS. The reviews on the previous- out of production- model the Epson 5030 were excellent. I bought a refurbished unit directly from Epson which comes with the same full 2 year warranty it did when new! The price was great. After I tried it, I liked it so much I bought a second one and put it up in a closet to use years down the road if the current one develops issues. In 5 years or so, it's hard to say what if any 3D projectors will be out there.

Here's a link to it on the Epson store. Great price.

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/PowerLite-Home-Cinema-5030UB-2D-3D-1080p-3LCD-Projector---Refurbished/p/V11H585020-N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 607
1080p HD 3D should work on your PC, if 720p works. You have to select it on your graphics card (using the projector as a display), of course. Nvidia is no longer supporting 3D (software), but if your card works now, it should work in the future.

Barry's suggestion is a good one. There are also 1080p 3D DLP projectors that work well too. Most still support 3D still.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked: 455
For 3D, there is a huge difference between a low priced projector and the more expensive ones. So you have to first determine your budget. I've owned quite a few including the Epson, BenQ, Panasonic, and JVC. The Panasonic and JVC were the higher priced category. They all suffer problems with black level and color purity. I finally bought a Sony VPL VW90ES when it came out and this was the first projector that could display 1080p 3D with any degree of quality, but I was never satisfied with the brightness which made it impossible to view in a semi lit room. Plus the life of the lamps was not good and these can get expensive. Mine lasted about 1500 hours average.
When 4K UHD came out I decided to upgrade and managed to find an overstock VPL VW665ES that was both 4K 60p HDR and 3D. The brightness was 3 times the 90ES and could produce a full 10 bit range of color in a semi lit room. The bulbs were under $100 but they last over 5000 hours making the cost quite affordable. Plus it has 4K upscaler for 3D 1080p so all my 3D movies have zero crosstalk, perfect color, although limited to 8bit but the display is the best detail because it is upscaled to 4K. Sony has a patented pixel by pixel upscaler which is what you pay the big bucks for. This is several years old technology today and the latest 885ES doesn't do much better. Try to find a low price on a 665ES and you will be pleased with the 3D image quality.
State of the art now seems to be the laser short throw projectors. Extremely bright and large screen. I've seen good ones for under $10,000 that can display up to 120" screen width.

One thing is a must for any projector. Do your homework. Read reviews, good and bad. Shop ebay and search for overstock and bankruptcy sales. Try to get a personal viewing of the content you wish to viewon the projector. Then see how it performs in semi lit rooms for black level. make note of the screen being used as this can greatly affect the quality of your 3D.

If color purity, image detail, and long range cost is not important, then the lower cost projectors really designed for board room power point presentations will do the job too.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1; JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, TIVO Edge OTA; Apple TV 4K. Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2020, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,
Need your advice please.

I need to present classes and travel arround giving lectures about stereoscopic radiography.
I've been using a double slide projector and silver screen, and need to change:

1- It has to work in white screens (so I dont have to carry one)
2- Not so expensive glasses (need 100-300 of them)
3- Preferably one projector (at a reasonable distance from the screen)

I'm thinking about Dolby 3D... can anyone please advise?
Thanx

Jorge
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2020, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Oh man, don't know about inexpensive glasses. I have a benq and it's great, but requires active shutter glasses. Those cost more, plus they need batteries. You might be able to get a bulk discount or find some on Alibaba or something. Just read reviews on active shutter glasses. The cheap Paris I own that have replaceable batteries have all had the battery cover break when I tried replacing the battery, so now they are taped together and not as reliable. Good luck with your search, let us know what you narrow it down to!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page