2Likes
  • 2 Post By 3DBob

post #1 of 3 Old 12-21-2019, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question Unrealistic depth

On my 3D TV, why don't movies on 3D Blu-ray--my only source of stereoscopic 3D content--have realistic depth? Lately, I've noticed that they do not look as if I was there on scene, watching the action live. I moved my home theater system from a small room to a bigger (but still somewhat small) room, so my seat's distance from the TV has increased. To find out if that is the reason, I moved my chair closer to the screen, and I still don't see realistic depth. It is also possible that when I first got into stereoscopic 3D, my enthusiasm for it prevented me from seeing that it doesn't look realistic. The two movies that I watched recently and that made me feel like the effect isn't realistic were Avatar and The Amazing Spider-man.

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S, Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus, my Last.fm profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-21-2019, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Maybe the realism of the depth is affected by the interaxial and convergence of the stereoscopic 3D movie cameras.

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S, Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus, my Last.fm profile
post #3 of 3 Old 12-22-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
On my 3D TV, why don't movies on 3D Blu-ray--my only source of stereoscopic 3D content--have realistic depth? Lately, I've noticed that they do not look as if I was there on scene, watching the action live. I moved my home theater system from a small room to a bigger (but still somewhat small) room, so my seat's distance from the TV has increased. To find out if that is the reason, I moved my chair closer to the screen, and I still don't see realistic depth. It is also possible that when I first got into stereoscopic 3D, my enthusiasm for it prevented me from seeing that it doesn't look realistic. The two movies that I watched recently and that made me feel like the effect isn't realistic were Avatar and The Amazing Spider-man.
Depth on any 3D TV under 70" is going to look artificial since the characters are not life-size looking. Both Avatar and Spiderman have good depth. Also, sitting closer to the screen actually decreases depth, versus farther away. Best depth is about twice the screen width. Since you are farther away, you should see more depth. But the objects being so small might not give you enough depth. Also, take off your glasses--your object at the most distance from the screen (infinity for example) should be about 2.5" apart to give good depth, and the object closest to the screen should look like it is almost even. Many 3D bluray players have a 3D adjustment that will allow you to get more depth, and also 3D TVs have a depth option. What player and TV do you have? I will look up the options for you if I can. There is one other issue--make sure the left and right eyes aren't reversed. It creates an odd looking image that cause a strange depth effect. Both players and 3DTVs have an option to switch eyes. A friend of mine watched many 3D movies in switched eye mode and didn't know. He said, he hated 3D until I set it straight for him...
Car67 and rdlohr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
depth , stereo 3d , stereoscopic 3d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page