AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   3D Tech Talk (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/194-3d-tech-talk/)
-   -   3D mkv beg for guidance (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/194-3d-tech-talk/3127664-3d-mkv-beg-guidance.html)

3D Derek 3D 03-05-2020 07:34 AM

3D mkv beg for guidance

Hello to all!

I have seriously combed many threads on this matter but still end up unclear. If anyone would be patient and kind enough to help out

Desire: stream my owned 3D bluray collection from an ext HD, media server, laptop or any means to access this precious media for full consumption by iso, mkv 3d mvc. I already can stream sbs but this is half resolution and re encoding takes time per movie from mkv to sbs.

But first, my set up as it stands that all works (minus the 3d mvc mkr stream)

My set up to watch 3DBR discs: works fine
Epson 3700 3D LCD projector.
Denon AVR (atm model number at home)
Sony PS3 (used routinely to watch BR3D disks)

My set up to stream 2D 480 / 1080 content: works fine
Roku hdmi to AVR
Plex on HTPC Nvidia Win 10 with 8Tb WD
Wi fi
(aware Plex or Roku does not do MVC)

Question 1;
Is it just easier to buy a media player such as Zidoo and hook up ext HD and be done? But this costs money.

Question 2:
Can I use my laptop (not current HTPC) Intel Win 10 and play with stereoscopic player, vlc or any other, connect to AVR just like PS3 and view on projector? (I know how to display laptop on projector for 2D)

Question 3:
Any other suggestions for possibly streaming HTPC 3D mkv MVC?

It is felt that to truly consume and appreciate one's desire for 3D movies (regardless of the script) it is critical to have easy access, hence loading disks tends to lesson the consume rate for which time I have little of, and besides, digital back ups mean less player and disc wear.

I am open to criticism, assistance and questions.

Derek

Roussi 03-05-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3D Derek 3D (Post 59333216)
Hello to all!

I have seriously combed many threads on this matter but still end up unclear. If anyone would be patient and kind enough to help out

Desire: stream my owned 3D bluray collection from an ext HD, media server, laptop or any means to access this precious media for full consumption by iso, mkv 3d mvc. I already can stream sbs but this is half resolution and re encoding takes time per movie from mkv to sbs.

Roku hdmi to AVR
Wi fi

Question 1;
Is it just easier to buy a media player such as Zidoo and hook up ext HD and be done? But this costs money.

Question 2:
Can I use my laptop (not current HTPC) Intel Win 10 and play with stereoscopic player, vlc or any other, connect to AVR just like PS3 and view on projector? (I know how to display laptop on projector for 2D)

Question 3:

It is felt that to truly consume and appreciate one's desire for 3D movies (regardless of the script) it is critical to have easy access, hence loading disks tends to lesson the consume rate for which time I have little of, and besides, digital back ups mean less player and disc wear.

Derek

I can try Q2: Depending on your laptop and network connection, most probably yes. You need HDMI 1.4 out of your laptop; and at least 60 Mbps actual/effective bandwidth for its connection to the server/storage (it is a little bit more demanding than 2D BD stream). For the player, you can use PowerDVD to play the ISOs with menus; or SS player as mentioned; or MPC-HC/BE with LAV filters with 3D/MVC option activated, and MadVR.

For Q3, I've read that Raspberry Pi (2 and up?) can play 3D, but have not tried it, nor know the limitations.

zombie10k 03-05-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Question 1;

Hi, I can help you save some time. I have a large 3D collection of frame packed ISO + MKV's + an avid HTPC user.

I use the Zidoo for 3D playback. It works great and is easier than dealing with getting the PC to play 3D. let me know if you have any questions about the Zidoo + 3D.

dgrizzard 03-05-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Hello to all!

Roku hdmi to AVR
Wi fi

Question 1;

Question 2:

Question 3:

Derek

I have found in my own setup the 3D portion can be hit or miss. I have an HTPC setup with MadVR and Kodi/DSPlayer and using Plex for Kodi as my UI. Non-3D stuff works great, but when it comes to 3D some movies are fine, others I have issues with. Going forward I plan to eventually virtualize my HTPC inside my unraid server so I would have 1 HTPC VM for just 3D with proper drivers, OS settings, MadVR settings, etc. Then another HTPC VM for everything else. I'm going that route since I already have the hardware for it, I just need to actually do it.

Edit: Just decided I'm going to just get a Zidoo as well, too much headache.

If I was in your position though I would just do a separate player like Zidoo for just 3D if you like the HTPC for everything else.

3D Derek 3D 03-05-2020 09:06 AM

Hi Zombie10k,

Thank you for your willingness to help out, truly appreciate it.

If I may get started with some questions:

1. I assume you are referring to the Zidoo 9s?

2.Did you purchase it directly from Zidoo?

3.Does the Zidoo just plug into my HDMI switcher via HDMI like all of my other video sources going through my Denon AVR?

Currently I have a PS3 for Blu ray and 3D Blu-ray playback, Nintendo Wii (yes its old) for the kids, TV cable box and more options so plugging the Zidoo in should be the same?

4. Once connected to my Epson 3700 3D LCD projector and I am able to view the Zidoo interface through my AVR / HDMI switch, do I just simply plug in an external HD with my 3D MKV’s and have at it?

5. Is there a capacity limit on the HD that would connect to the Zidoo?

I know some other media player types have TB limits for ext HD’s; currently storing my data on a 10 TB WD Easy Store product.

6. I believe the cost is under US 200$?

7. If I currently play 3D Blu ray through my PS3 to the projector, I assume all of my cables are up to spec since 3D via PS3 in my home theater system works fine now.

Truly appreciate your help.

Derek

dgrizzard 03-05-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3D Derek 3D (Post 59333594)
Hi Zombie10k,

Thank you for your willingness to help out, truly appreciate it.

If I may get started with some questions:

1. I assume you are referring to the Zidoo 9s?

2.Did you purchase it directly from Zidoo?

3.Does the Zidoo just plug into my HDMI switcher via HDMI like all of my other video sources going through my Denon AVR?

Currently I have a PS3 for Blu ray and 3D Blu-ray playback, Nintendo Wii (yes its old) for the kids, TV cable box and more options so plugging the Zidoo in should be the same?

4. Once connected to my Epson 3700 3D LCD projector and I am able to view the Zidoo interface through my AVR / HDMI switch, do I just simply plug in an external HD with my 3D MKV’s and have at it?

5. Is there a capacity limit on the HD that would connect to the Zidoo?

I know some other media player types have TB limits for ext HD’s; currently storing my data on a 10 TB WD Easy Store product.

6. I believe the cost is under US 200$?

7. If I currently play 3D Blu ray through my PS3 to the projector, I assume all of my cables are up to spec since 3D via PS3 in my home theater system works fine now.

Truly appreciate your help.

Derek

I just ordered a Z9S, will be here tomorrow so I can let you know my feedback. Bought it off Amazon for $175, free one day prime delivery.

Yes it should just plug in like any device to your AVR.

With Kodi you would need to add the ExtHD as a folder, pretty straightforward. So plugin the HDD and add the folder to Kodi.

No capacity limit I am aware of, I run mine off of a NAS which currently is at 40TB.

You should be fine on cables, generally you would run into problems on the 4K side running HDR with 60FPS and certain chroma settings.

3D Derek 3D 03-05-2020 03:39 PM

Hi dgrizzard,

Thanks for replying again. I look forward to your review of the zidoo ! Due to cash flow, I may have to wait for the zidoo, but it looks like its the best option due to the headaches of streaming 3D.

I thought just connecting my laptop to my projector via avr would work with stereoscopic player but no dice, I think because it maybe an Intel versus nvidia which my htpc in the other room has nvidia bit laptop has intel. The main goal is to have access to all 87 3D bluray discs ! I just don't use this large library to its full potential by inserting discs, too timely and cumbersome. When this works, I look forward to jumping from scene to scene from movie to movie!

Keep me updated and thanks to All who have replied.

Derek

steevo123 03-06-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombie10k (Post 59333362)
Hi, I can help you save some time. I have a large 3D collection of frame packed ISO + MKV's + an avid HTPC user.

I use the Zidoo for 3D playback. It works great and is easier than dealing with getting the PC to play 3D. let me know if you have any questions about the Zidoo + 3D.

Hi Zombie 1 question.

When playing back 3d files from the Zidoo, does it automatically force your display into 3d mode?

(much like a 3d blu ray player would - In my case a jvc projector which has no "3d" button on the remote)

Im hoping so - Thanks!

dgrizzard 03-06-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steevo123 (Post 59338082)
Hi Zombie 1 question.

When playing back 3d files from the Zidoo, does it automatically force your display into 3d mode?

(much like a 3d blu ray player would - In my case a jvc projector which has no "3d" button on the remote)

Im hoping so - Thanks!

Yes, I have a JVC RS1000/NX5 and based on the signal being sent from the player 3D mode is automatically activated.

dgrizzard 03-06-2020 11:09 AM

Just wanted to follow up, I just got my Z9S setup, added my NAS share and it detected all the movies automatically. I did a test play on a few movies and it played in 3D right away with my JVC auto switching to 1080p24 frame packing. Really impressed, I'm only using this for 3D but based on my experience with HTPC and 3D I wouldn't go back. This JUST WORKS. Bottom line. Absolutely the way to go if you are looking to have all of your movies ripped and not worrying about discs just for 3D (which I was doing).

steevo123 03-07-2020 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgrizzard (Post 59338476)
Yes, I have a JVC RS1000/NX5 and based on the signal being sent from the player 3D mode is automatically activated.

Thanks for the info. I havent really seen mentioned in the forums what settings folks are using for 3d? Want to chime in with your preferred 3d settings? (rs 2000 here)

Thanks for any info