• 1 Post By 3DBob

post #1 of 20 Old 03-24-2020, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3D projector choice advice

Good morning all
I am French and I appeal to your knowledge please excuse the mistakes because this message is made with an online translator.

I am looking for an optimal 3D video projector for a dedicated room that would complement my jvc dla n5
after multiple searches on the internet I admit to being completely lost
I'm not looking for a specially new or recent product I'm just looking for the best possible rendering in 3d (depth and spurts)
what the n5 does not do optimally
it would be nice if it had horizontal and vertical lens shift (for integration in my config)
and good contrast and brightness.
no 4k just 1080p
DLP looks best to me
frequency of glasses 144hz
here I told you everything
and I thank in advance those who can direct me to the right model with the best quality / price ratio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-24-2020, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 628
How big of a screen do you want? And will you be using the projector in a lighted room or dark room?
post #3 of 20 Old 03-24-2020, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

it's a 130 inch screen in a dark room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-24-2020, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

130 inch base
post #5 of 20 Old 03-24-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

by 130" base you mean screen width? That would be a 150" diagonal screen? If so that is a big screen needing a very bright projector.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yes that's right
post #7 of 20 Old 03-24-2020, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Based on your screen size and it is probably has a 1.0 or 1 .3 brightness enhancement, you are going to need the brightest projector you can get that does great 3D, and there are two projectors I would recommend, even through they are 4K projectors, but they do have some lens shift. There are only a few bright 1080p projectors that have lens shift and are bright and do 144hz 3D.

Those two projectors are the BenQ TK850 or the Optoma UHD52ALV projector, both are 4K and have excellent 1080p 3D at 144hz, though I prefer the 3D of the Optoma. They are relatively competitively priced. Are they true Cinema projectors? No, but they will provide a good image for your screen size. There are some low cost bright Optoma projectors that are bright enough. Go to this website: https://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm Click on projectors tab and select the price range and you will see projectors based on price/quality and reviews. You will need at least 3,000 lumens for a good 3D image on a 150" screen, otherwise the image will be too dark for many 3D movies in my experience.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help
but my budget does not allow me to buy these projectors,
I think to buy a used benq w 2000 which has only 2200 lumens of brightness
but a very good 3D rendering according to the tests
post #9 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by garuche View Post
Thank you for your help
but my budget does not allow me to buy these projectors,
I think to buy a used benq w 2000 which has only 2200 lumens of brightness
but a very good 3D rendering according to the tests
Generally speaking DLP does not have good contrast or lens shift, only in some cases minimal.

The W2000's (HT3050 in the US) actual lumens is ~1500 in the 3D mode, so similar to the NX5 in High lamp mode. If you add the loss of brightness from the glasses and the size of the screen it is definitely not bright enough.

The TK850 and UHD52ALV are also around 1500-1700 lumens, so IMO not bright enough.

DLP laser projectors like the Optoma ZH403, 406, 406ST, 506, Viewsonic LS800WU can be brighter. The more expensive ones are brighter and some even have lens shift.
Optoma has announced some new laser projectors, but until they are tested I'm not sure how bright they actually are. You can't take the claim of lumens like 2200 for the W2000 as an accurate measurement:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...r-hd28hdr.html

An Epson like the TW6700 (HC3700) might be bright enough and has lens shift, but 3LCD is susceptible to ghosting in 3D.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The brightness in 3D for all projectors is definitely about half of a 2D image. And the very bright Epsons suffer from ghosting when they are pushed to max brightness in 3D mode, and I have had personal experience with that. If I were to get a 1080p projector that does excellent and bright 3D, I would get the newly introduced Optoma HD39HDR Laser with enhanced contrast and 4000 lumens, which probably has 2000+ lumens for 3D. It also handles 144hz glasses. It doesn't have lens shift, but does have auto keystoning. https://www.optoma.com/us/product/hz39hdr/

The other projector I would consider if the laser too expensive is the HD39HDR 4000 lumens projector about half the price.
https://www.optoma.com/us/product/hd39hdr/

There is some horizontal and vertical image placement control, but you will get keystoning and that can be adjusted. My projectors are lower than the top of the screen and must be keystoned, but I have never been bothered by that. I do not see less resolution. It depends on what you want. Get a projector with lens adjustment and lower lumens, and mount it closer to the screen for a smaller brighter image, or get a projector that can handle the brightness for such a large screen with some keystoning.

Note most newer 1080p projectors do 120hz for gaming and 3D, but are adjusted to handle 24fps movies at 144hz for glasses. So don't get overly concerned about this. However, for 3D that is not 24fps, it will be shown at 120hz, which glasses seem to handle as well.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@3DBob

https://www.colorlightoutput.com/search/ says color lumens is 1100, and https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm says color brightness for Bright preset with BC at 10 is 1280 lumens.

Cinema preset which usually is at 100% color lumens is 1555. @DunMunro said having brighter white lumens than color lumens can appear to make the image brighter, but I still don't know if it's bright enough for a screen that size. The Viewsonic mentioned above is 3500lm calibrated, but is also a few times more expensive than the HD39HDR.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The best thing to do is go to the Under $3,000 projector forum and ask there or search specific projectors and ask in that forum. Actual users are the best feedback. I know when the BenQ TK800 came out, some were using it on a 150" screen and said the 3D was ok. A lot of the brightness illusion comes from how close or faraway you sit as well. I owned a TK800 myself, but thought the 3D was just not bright enough. I have an Optoma UHD51ALV now for a 160" screen, but it is a high gain screen (about 1.80 gain based on my seating position) and it works fine for 3D. I do not use Cinema for 3D, I use Video or Graphics. I have thought about getting the UHD52ALV for an even brighter picture. A lot of 3D movies (Marvel, Star Wars, etc.) have dark scenes, and that is problem for all 3D projectors these days. I must say, the 3D image of the UHD51ALV is the best 3D image I have seen on any projector I have owned, including the highly reviewed Epson 5040UB, which I had for one week--way too much ghosting--I had to reduce brightness quite a bit to avoid it--it was great for 2D, though.

Of course, you could always mount the projector for 3D closer to the screen for a smaller image and have the brightness you need, but definitely a trade off.
DunMunro likes this.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by garuche View Post
Good morning all
I am French and I appeal to your knowledge please excuse the mistakes because this message is made with an online translator.

I am looking for an optimal 3D video projector for a dedicated room that would complement my jvc dla n5
after multiple searches on the internet I admit to being completely lost
I'm not looking for a specially new or recent product I'm just looking for the best possible rendering in 3d (depth and spurts)
what the n5 does not do optimally
it would be nice if it had horizontal and vertical lens shift (for integration in my config)
and good contrast and brightness.
no 4k just 1080p
DLP looks best to me
frequency of glasses 144hz
here I told you everything
and I thank in advance those who can direct me to the right model with the best quality / price ratio

3D is 1080P. I would suggest looking at the Optoma laser ZH403 and ZH406. Depending on your budget the ZK507 would be worth looking at along with the ZU506T:

"Full HD 3D. The ZU506T supports Full HD 3D with either DLP-Link or IR glasses. As with any projector with 3D, the 3D mode isn't as bright as any of the 2D modes. However, it's brighter compared with the 2D modes than most projectors can manage, which makes the ZU506T one of the brightest projectors for 3D that I've tested. I was comfortable watching a 90-inch diagonal 3D image on my 1.0-gain screen in moderate ambient light, even when I adjusted a lamp to point directly at the screen from about 10 feet away.

The projector also handled 3D well. I didn't see any crosstalk, and saw only minor 3D-related motion artifacts. A minor annoyance is that when the ZU506T detects a 3D signal, it asks if it's okay to switch to 3D before changing to 3D mode, and when you switch back to 2D input, you have to turn 3D off manually."
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...-Road-Test.htm

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm

https://www.projectorcentral.com/InF...tor-Review.htm (supports 3D but not tested)

https://www.projectorreviews.com/opt...jector-review/ (2nd review)

Last edited by DunMunro; 03-25-2020 at 10:45 AM.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
@3DBob

https://www.colorlightoutput.com/search/ says color lumens is 1100, and https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm says color brightness for Bright preset with BC at 10 is 1280 lumens.

Cinema preset which usually is at 100% color lumens is 1555. @DunMunro said having brighter white lumens than color lumens can appear to make the image brighter, but I still don't know if it's bright enough for a screen that size. The Viewsonic mentioned above is 3500lm calibrated, but is also a few times more expensive than the HD39HDR.
The above website is a marketing arm of Epson. It doesn't provide verifiable data to support it's claims and it should not be used as a reference.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Laser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
The brightness in 3D for all projectors is definitely about half of a 2D image. And the very bright Epsons suffer from ghosting when they are pushed to max brightness in 3D mode, and I have had personal experience with that. If I were to get a 1080p projector that does excellent and bright 3D, I would get the newly introduced Optoma HD39HDR Laser with enhanced contrast and 4000 lumens, which probably has 2000+ lumens for 3D. It also handles 144hz glasses. It doesn't have lens shift, but does have auto keystoning.
Note most newer 1080p projectors do 120hz for gaming and 3D, but are adjusted to handle 24fps movies at 144hz for glasses. So don't get overly concerned about this. However, for 3D that is not 24fps, it will be shown at 120hz, which glasses seem to handle as well.
Hi Bob,
Can you tell me if a 3P Laser projector can do a color separation to something similar to Dolby stereo?
Is there any alternative to have a PASSIVE 3D with REGULAR SCREEN (non polarized)?

Thanks

Jorge
post #16 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
The above website is a marketing arm of Epson. It doesn't provide verifiable data to support it's claims and it should not be used as a reference.
You've made this accusation several times.

I can't find any information that PC is owned or is a marketing arm of Epson. What is your source?
post #17 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Ferreira da Costa View Post
Hi Bob,
Can you tell me if a 3P Laser projector can do a color separation to something similar to Dolby stereo?
Is there any alternative to have a PASSIVE 3D with REGULAR SCREEN (non polarized)?

Thanks

Jorge
That would require that each eye image have a different color for anaglyph (red/blue, blue/yellow, etc.) images. That has been done but by the video itself. In other words, the video would have a left with different color than the right eye. I have a bluray disc of Destination 5 that does this. The resulting image is dark, though, and not pleasing to watch. And, of course, you would need the correct passive colored glasses to watch it. Projectors do not have the ability to switch colors for each eye (that I know of). I have 3D video editing software that can create anaglyph video, but as I said it's not satisfying to watch. There was a discussion of twin polarized projectors and screens in one of these forums. Seek that out for more info.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You've made this accusation several times.

I can't find any information that PC is owned or is a marketing arm of Epson. What is your source?
It's on the home page! :

"This site is managed by Seiko Epson Corporation."

Last edited by DunMunro; 03-26-2020 at 09:16 AM.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
It's on the home page! :

"This site is managed by Seiko Epson Corporation."
I'm talking about Projector Central, not colorlightoutput.

The only mention of PC is:
Specifications for Color Brightness and White Brightness are provided by many manufacturers and published by ProjectorCentral.com.

It does not imply that Projector central is also manged by Epson.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm talking about Projector Central, not colorlightoutput.

The only mention of PC is:
Specifications for Color Brightness and White Brightness are provided by many manufacturers and published by ProjectorCentral.com.

It does not imply that Projector central is also manged by Epson.
Obviously, I was talking about colorlightoutput.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page