Amateur diagnosis of anaglyph Virtual Boy footage - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-01-2020, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Amateur diagnosis of anaglyph Virtual Boy footage

This is a test video of someone who later invented the Virtual Boy Tap, a mod for the VB to play it on a TV screen .

He did think since it was 3D, it should produce an Anaglyph. But I see two problem with either not understanding the Anaglyph technology, or understanding it,can not wiring it correctly.

Is there a place where I can type my amateur diagnosis and keep it hidden so I don't influence you? Is there a spoiler tag like [:spoiler] this [/spoiler] ? Will post video and diagnosis once I figure out spoilers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-01-2020, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Since I can't find the code I'll link the video, then quickly fcopy and paste my diagnosis.

Remember, I am an amateur at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKzoGDSJSWk
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2020, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

As an amateur 3d enthusiasts I can diagnose 2 major problems that have nothing to do with you wrongly understanding electronics but do havevnto do have to do with anaglypgh 3d theory.

1. First it's not red and BLUE, it'red and CYAN that are polar opposites on the color wheel.​ BTW in terms of lights, Cyan Is a fundamental sceondary light color. The way to make a cyan is BLUE +GREEN.

2. The other problem Is that the way a red and blue combine on the image.

Basically if you broke the grid into pixels, then the color of the pixel determines which eye sees it.​ Mainly ifxa pixel is supposed to be seen by both eyes, the pixel would be white.​ Because R+G+B equals white.

This looks like it has way too many blues (even though it should be cyans) and not enough reds.​ If a pixel is red then it can be seen as white in the left eye, and black in the right, representing presence in left, absence in right.​ Cyan is opposite.​ Red filter​ makes blue and green lightb seem black, cyan filterb makes red light seem black.

Too much can be seen by the right eye and not enough by the left.

If your programming has cyan taking presigence over red, there should be zen like balance.​ Also because you chose blue and not cyan​ Filters and pigment start with rules that are exact opposite of lights.

Primary pigments are cyan (in light GB) yellow (RG) and magenta(RB). A blue filter filters out cyan and Magenta, and a red filters filters out yellow and Magenta.

If the pixel is magenta it's black on both the left and right eye.

If you didn't understand Anaglyph theory, hopefully I corrected you and you can adjust

If it's an electrical reason why red light plus cyan light didn't equal white light, you tell me whether it's simply a different passive design difference or if it requires an active solution.

I'll post this letter on a couple 3d movie websites, and ask if I made the right diagnosis.​ Along with a link to the video.

Brian
--
Sent from Hotmail Email App for Android

Wednesday, 01 April 2020, 01:46PM -04:00 from....[edited for privacy]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-05-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 627
A couple of things come to mind. If you truly have a left/right eye view (side-by-side-SBS) or two video file views (separate left and right eye files) you can create a true anaglyph with several video editing apps like Cyberlink PowerDirector or EDIUS. For stills, it's Stereomaker (search for them). Loading a SBS file to youtube will create a file that can be seen both in 2D and 3D anaglyph. If you create an anaglyph from a red-tinted file of one eye and a blue-tinted file of the other, as was said, that will not be totally correct because the colors are not exact for Red and Cyan. Simply search for 3D and Anaglyph and you will find a lot of info on how it works.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-10-2020, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking for something for a Virtual Boy.

There is something called a Virtual Tap which sends VB video to a SCART or VGA RGB monitor.

Natively, the video is 2 separate video feeds for left eye and right eye, and both start as Black and White Greyscale. The Tap machine can tint it 8 ways, black and red, black and green, black and blue (hope no one got hurt), black and yellow (sing along with Wiz Kalifa) black and cyan, black and magenta, black and white (leave alone) and black and one custom 24-bit color. (Let's call it decker .) . )

I'm just seeing if one can be black and red, and the other is black and cyan, and since it works with analog monitors to minimize ping, would merging the red pin of L and the Green and Blue pins of R (G+B= C) be a simple way to combine pictures.

The only issue might be l/r sync. I also know there is a Macintosh program known as Bino 3d, which can convert different firms of 3D, but how good is that live on a Twitch stream?

Would that video have worked if the right eye had black and cyan instead of black and blue, or if one had red and Blue glasses, or are there other reasons why that video was wrong?

I don't have red and blue glasses to test it with. All I have in Anaglyph are red and cyan and Trioviz.

I
post #6 of 6 Old 04-21-2020, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have a pair of red and BLUE anaglyph glasses. The only anaglyph glasses I have are red and CYAN. (And Trioviz for Batman Arkham games).

I did'nt think this looked good. But I have the wrong key for this lock.

Someone who specifically had red and BLUE, not red and CYAN, look at this video and see if this is a convincing Anaglyph.

By the way it's from something called the Virtual Boy Tap, a device to let you play Virtual Boy games on a TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKzoGDSJSWk

PS the maker of VBT made the colors that are non black output 7 different fundamental and one custom 24 bit color. If he got it right, then if the Blue eye was shifted to Cyan, then would it work with my glasses? Also, on a VGA adapter, would merging the 2 pictures be as simple as a passive VGA dongle, which has red of the left and cyan if the right merged as one? Is it easier than buying/building a 2 synched images to SBSH converter when putting a console to TV. A computer might delay the live screen enough to cause gameplay oroblems. Ping doesn't need to be sub-microsecond, just unnoticeable in non-light gun games. Like 1 millisecond or less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page