Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-03-2020, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3d Mvc mkr player thoughts

Hi Guys,

A little while back I posted on here suggested media players to play my enormous 3d library, most suggested the zidoo z9s for 3D MVC MKV playback via an ext HD, but...I understand this product has a Euro power supply and I am in the US. Additionally, no one returns my correspondence from the Zidoo email contact method, even after numerous attempts.

So....my desire is to simply play my 3d mvc movies or iso if that's better but zidoo is silent in responding to my inquiry.

Any thoughts? I also tried to contact popcorn hour, again no response. Only other budget friendly player I can think of is mede8er.

Regards,

3D Derek 3D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-05-2020, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 598
I know, really frustrating. I am about to go thru all my 3D BR's and re-rip. The only method that I have found to work 100% is to just use half resolution files and Plex.

I tried both the KD Links 720 and currently have the A400 but I found it only plays content reliably from files on the internal drive. It has gigabit ethernet and USB 3.0 but connected drives will not play content without problems at some point in the iso file. (Just starts stuttering horribly until you give up) Now USB 3.0 should be plenty fast to handle the files so I don't know what the issue is. Very disappointing as I obviously cannot fit all my iso files onto a single volume. So only solution I know, if I want full frame packing is to span multiple drives with my iso files. Then swap drives when needed. Not a great solution either. Or just go back to half resolution 3D files, sort of leaning that way. I never saw much difference anyway.

As far as MVC MKV files I think only certain models supported it, then they dropped support after the chip was replaced with a newer one? That's what I've read anyway. I know my A400 only plays them in 2D. One other option is Power DVD via a Windows machine but new release they dropped support for 3D so you'd need older version. They can play ISO files too, then everything can be networked. That's probably the best solution but I don't like having to use a windows machine to do it.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-05-2020, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Derek 3D View Post
Hi Guys,

A little while back I posted on here suggested media players to play my enormous 3d library, most suggested the zidoo z9s for 3D MVC MKV playback via an ext HD, but...I understand this product has a Euro power supply and I am in the US. Additionally, no one returns my correspondence from the Zidoo email contact method, even after numerous attempts.

So....my desire is to simply play my 3d mvc movies or iso if that's better but zidoo is silent in responding to my inquiry.

Any thoughts? I also tried to contact popcorn hour, again no response. Only other budget friendly player I can think of is mede8er.

Regards,

3D Derek 3D
I had used the http://www.mede8er.com/ for a few years for flawless 3D Bluray rips. But that device is limited to 1080p, no 4K support. I used MakeMKV with no trouble creating a working MVC MKV file for many years. I have since upgraded to 4K and I know the egreat A5 plays those same 3d MKV files just fine too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-06-2020, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well Everyone, I just ordered the zidoo z9s, will update on functionality for all those who have questions not answered by previous users. Can't wait!
post #5 of 16 Old 06-10-2020, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hello to all,

I just set up my new Zidoo Z9s which shows my HDD no problem connected via usb, but my 3D mkv files only play back as 2D. Under other circumstances, my 3D blurays play just fine through my ps3 into receiver into epson 3700 3D projector, so it appears as if this is not a cable issue or receiver issue. My main reason for this z9s purchaze is to play back 3D mkv files.

The setting is off for forcing 3D to play as 2d under Zidoo settings, what am I missing? If anyone has any tips or experience with this, I would greatly appreciate any help. I used the media explore option and not the home theater app yet if that helps. All my 3Dmkvwere created through the makemkv program with the MVC file selected.

Regards,
post #6 of 16 Old 06-10-2020, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

3D MKV MVC had limited support. I believe it was supported under the Realtek chipset but was lost with newer revision and is no longer supported on newer devices. Older Mede8ter models as someone posted above.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-10-2020, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
3D MKV MVC had limited support. I believe it was supported under the Realtek chipset but was lost with newer revision and is no longer supported on newer devices. Older Mede8ter models as someone posted above.
3D MVC files ripped into MKV work just fine on the Zidoo Z9s... Something else is going on... Using the Media Center option in the Zidoo should be just fine. Using ZDMC or Kodi wont work for 3D though. When you play the file on the Zidoo, your screen should start doing it's normal flashing as it kicks into 3D mode and then the Zidoo will momentarily say it is "playing a 3D file" in the upper left part of your screen as the title starts.

What happens when you hit the Info button after starting your movie on the Zidoo and then you select "more" and scroll down to the video info, does it show that the file is indeed a "multiview file with both eyes laced in one block"...etc...? You said that you made sure that you put a check mark and selected the MVC video option when ripping the MKV, correct?

If indeed your file info shows that you are playing a MVC multiview file, something else is preventing your projector from allowing the 3D file to play from the Zidoo... Is there some issue with an input setting on your projector or something with your receiver? Is it possible to hook up directly to your projector from the Zidoo? Otherwise, it is always a good idea to use the proper power up procedure... make sure your projector is on first, then your receiver, and then power on the Zidoo... just to see.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-11-2020, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Replying to MVC Zidoo conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
3D MVC files ripped into MKV work just fine on the Zidoo Z9s... Something else is going on... Using the Media Center option in the Zidoo should be just fine. Using ZDMC or Kodi wont work for 3D though. When you play the file on the Zidoo, your screen should start doing it's normal flashing as it kicks into 3D mode and then the Zidoo will momentarily say it is "playing a 3D file" in the upper left part of your screen as the title starts.

What happens when you hit the Info button after starting your movie on the Zidoo and then you select "more" and scroll down to the video info, does it show that the file is indeed a "multiview file with both eyes laced in one block"...etc...? You said that you made sure that you put a check mark and selected the MVC video option when ripping the MKV, correct?

If indeed your file info shows that you are playing a MVC multiview file, something else is preventing your projector from allowing the 3D file to play from the Zidoo... Is there some issue with an input setting on your projector or something with your receiver? Is it possible to hook up directly to your projector from the Zidoo? Otherwise, it is always a good idea to use the proper power up procedure... make sure your projector is on first, then your receiver, and then power on the Zidoo... just to see.

----I was successful in getting the Zidoo z9s to play 3D MVC files last evening, but there is a process. So, it turns out, if I plug the HDMI into the empty port on my Denon receiver, the 3D MVC attempt says "you do not have a 3D TV" and it does not work. However, if I plug the PS3 HDMI cable into the Zidoo and optical audio from the PS3 into the Zidoo, then plug the other end into my cheap HDMI switcher, it all works! So by disguising the Zidoo by cable pathways as the PS3 *(which always worked in 3D Blu-ray playback) it works. So, I believe either my PS3 has a different rated cable - unable to determine type, or the HDMI switcher is doing something that the receiver cannot, or adding the optical cable lessoned the HDMI burden? When I plug the Zidoo directly into the Projector via the old PS3 connection pathway, both audio and 3D work!

My thoughts:
1. the HDMI cable from Zidoo does not work me as I see it, but my old HDMI cable plugged into my ancient PS3 works when re routed to the Zidoo. I must have had this cable for > 10 years.
2. Plugging directly into a receiver does not work, but plugging into HDMI switcher then into receiver then it all works.

I also used the media center and not the Home Theater app - I will use that app this evening. And yes, I do now get a message top left corner that 3D file detected and the Epson 3700 projector switches, pretty neat. I have to say, the speed of the Zidoo and image clarity is better than my PS3 for sure.

Let me know your thoughts on this work around, I appreciate all the support from AVS. I will also update on my further testing.

Derek
post #9 of 16 Old 06-11-2020, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure why the image quality would "better than PS3". If you're playing from the disc it's equal quality as that's the source info to begin with.

With 3D everything has to be 3D capable in the chain. HDMI should be high speed with ethernet, it may say that printed on the cable. Is your AVR 3D passthru? Or is that why you have a switcher? Just delete the switcher, that might cause it to not pass the 3D signal. Zidoo > AVR > PJ.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-11-2020, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I'm not sure why the image quality would "better than PS3". If you're playing from the disc it's equal quality as that's the source info to begin with.
I can easily see how it could look better with regard to 3D movies... When comparing playing my 3D discs on my Sony X800 to their MKV file counterparts on my Zidoo, I prefer my Zidoo everytime.... and I have a 142 inch scope screen. The Zidoo just seems to just put out a cleaner 3D image with better depth than what is possible with my Sony blu ray player. Possibly, some of this is due to the greater depth 3d adjustment setting (and its range from 0 to 8) available in the Zidoo that is not available in the Sony.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-12-2020, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The PS3 has screen size adjustment setting for 3D and most PJ's have that 3D depth adjustment built into the menu so you can tweak it to your preferred amount. Mostly, I was referring to image quality which can't be any better than the disc. Unless you have some upscaling going on that the PS3 can't do but 1080p is still 1080p and bit rate is still whatever it was encoded to on the disc.

post #12 of 16 Old 06-13-2020, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I hear what you are saying, but still, in comparing infinity war from disc ps3 to zidoo mkv 3d mvc, thanos was clearer, ive watched it many times ps3, so noticed the diff pretty quick.

But....does the zidoo upscale 480 or 720???

If so, how? Can it upscale older mpegs?
post #13 of 16 Old 06-13-2020, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

on another note, the zidoo frequently has what appears to possibly be a HDMI handshake issue..meaning, and I think it may be from home theater app and not media player, but I've seen both, the screen goes neon colors and is mal aligned, only hot unplugging the hdmi and rssinserting gets it goin again.

Anyone experience this?
post #14 of 16 Old 06-13-2020, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
on another note, the zidoo frequently has what appears to possibly be a HDMI handshake issue..meaning, and I think it may be from home theater app and not media player, but I've seen both, the screen goes neon colors and is mal aligned, only hot unplugging the hdmi and rssinserting gets it goin again.

Anyone experience this?
You have an HDMI connection or cable problem somewhere in your signal chain...
post #15 of 16 Old 06-14-2020, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Is it possible there is a setting on the zidoo that is causing this, maybe a resolution or frame rate setting that breaks the HDMI handshake going between movies? The HDMI chain works 100 % outside the zidoo, but the zidoo does this frequently.

When watching 3D MVC MKV, everything is fine, but when I exit to select another movie, the odd mal aligned neon color screen returns for which unplugging hdmi and re inserting solves.

Anyone think this is the case?
post #16 of 16 Old 06-14-2020, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is it possible there is a setting on the zidoo that is causing this, maybe a resolution or frame rate setting that breaks the HDMI handshake going between movies? The HDMI chain works 100 % outside the zidoo, but the zidoo does this frequently.

When watching 3D MVC MKV, everything is fine, but when I exit to select another movie, the odd mal aligned neon color screen returns for which unplugging hdmi and re inserting solves.

Anyone think this is the case?
An "odd neon color screen" IME, is almost always a sign of a bad HDMI cable or connection....swap out any possible HDMI cables that you can or remove any HDMI splitter or extraneous connections to see where the problem starts.

If you still have more questions, you can try and post them in the Zidoo Z9s thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...d1296-soc.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page