Sony CT-100 Info, Reviews, Etc. - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr View Post

The environments and everything is loud. I can hear the crowd chanting "DEFENSE!" and it feels like I'm at the game. I can also make out what the players are yelling on the field. However, the commentators voices are drowned out in this. Do you at least notice that, or am I alone

Usually upping the Center (+1, +2, your choice) will fix this but be forewarned, by doing so you narrow the surround effect.

PSN- da1writer
My Sony CT-100 Settings (& PS3 Settings) *UPDATED 1/10/09*
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15172017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Lkr
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering - how much surround effect is there on a football game? First time listening to one in 5.1
post #723 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 03:37 PM

I'm a few minutes away from ordering this system, but I need to know a few things first.

1) You're only allowed a maximum of four connections, right? Meaning I can only connect my Wii, PS3, 360, and DVD at one time?

2) I already know how I'm going to connect my PS3 and DVD Player (via HDMI to the CT-100 and then from the CT-100 to the back of my TV). My 360 I'll connect via the Component (no HDMI out unfortunately), and Optical to the back of the CT-100. How wiould I go about hooking up my Wii? I doubt the Component cable is long enough to reach both the Component in of my TV and the Composite inputs on the back of the CT-100. What's this I hear of people using the Optical Out option from their TV's to get Pro Logic II with their Wii systems? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vysethevaliant View Post

I'm a few minutes away from ordering this system, but I need to know a few things first.

1) You're only allowed a maximum of four connections, right? Meaning I can only connect my Wii, PS3, 360, and DVD at one time?

2) I already know how I'm going to connect my PS3 and DVD Player (via HDMI to the CT-100 and then from the CT-100 to the back of my TV). My 360 I'll connect via the Component (no HDMI out unfortunately), and Optical to the back of the CT-100. How wiould I go about hooking up my Wii? I doubt the Component cable is long enough to reach both the Component in of my TV and the Composite inputs on the back of the CT-100. What's this I hear of people using the Optical Out option from their TV's to get Pro Logic II with their Wii systems? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

A1) Actually it has 8 connections when it comes to sound. 1 Coaxal Cable output, 3 optical cable outputs, L&R (Red and White) RCA cable output, and 3 HDMI Inputs (1 HDMI output). With so many outputs, there is a combination of what you can do! In other words, You'll be able to connect all your stuff with no problem and probably even more.
Note: HDMI is the only way to get 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound (HD sound), the other outputs produce DD 5.1 (and ProLogic II.x) and DTS 5.1 ONLY. (P.S. May have to get different cables for different setups though if you don't like switching cables)

A2) There are cables that further the link of component cables , might just have to grab RCA audio cables (the red and white one with double ends) to lengthen it. I don't think the wii even has optical out? Here's Monoprice with HD component cables for the wii though, very cheap !
http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...rd=wii&x=0&y=0

PSN- da1writer
post #725 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Lkr
AVS Forum Special Member

The Wii doesn't have optical out, you just plug in RCA, since Pro Logic II is its best support.

Is there a way to use Pro Logic IIx on this system? Only Pro Logic II appears for me on commercials that aren't DD 5.1. But for the $200 price listed on amazon, best buy, and the sony website, it cannot be beat.
post #726 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Lkr
AVS Forum Special Member

The Wii doesn't have optical out, you just plug in RCA, since Pro Logic II is its best support.

Is there a way to use Pro Logic IIx on this system? Only Pro Logic II appears for me on commercials that aren't DD 5.1. But for the $200 price listed on amazon, best buy, and the sony website, it cannot be beat.
post #727 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post

A1) Actually it has 8 connections when it comes to sound. 1 Coaxal Cable output, 3 optical cable outputs, L&R (Red and White) RCA cable output, and 3 HDMI Inputs (1 HDMI output). With so many outputs, there is a combination of what you can do! In other words, You'll be able to connect all your stuff with no problem and probably even more.
Note: HDMI is the only way to get 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound (HD sound), the other outputs produce DD 5.1 (and ProLogic II.x) and DTS 5.1 ONLY. (P.S. May have to get different cables for different setups though if you don't like switching cables)

A2) There are cables that further the link of component cables , might just have to grab RCA audio cables (the red and white one with double ends) to lengthen it. I don't think the wii even has optical out? Here's Monoprice with HD component cables for the wii though, very cheap !
http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...rd=wii&x=0&y=0

Ah, perfect. Fair enough. I guess I'll just have to get those cables then to lengthen it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I ordered the system earlier, although it's "estimated" delivery (or should I say pick-up) is December 8th.

Eh, it can't be helped. I'll just have to wait a bit longer.
post #728 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vysethevaliant View Post

Ah, perfect. Fair enough. I guess I'll just have to get those cables then to lengthen it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I ordered the system earlier, although it's "estimated" delivery (or should I say pick-up) is December 8th.

Eh, it can't be helped. I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Why not Best Buy or Walmart? Both stores will be having the CT100 for $200 tomorrow (black friday), why not get it tomorrow instead of later (much later). Lkr is correct, you can just hook up RCA cables to the CT100 when it comes to the wii, the CT100 "tries" all the time to do DD Prologic II anyway.

@ Lkr: Woah, someone is double posting , j/k!

PSN- da1writer
post #729 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Why not Best Buy or Walmart? Both stores will be having the CT100 for $200 tomorrow (black friday), why not get it tomorrow instead of later (much later). Lkr is correct, you can just hook up RCA cables to the CT100 when it comes to the wii, the CT100 "tries" all the time to do DD Prologic II anyway.

I live in Canada, and the CT-100 is pretty scarce here. Honestly, I'm surprised I found it online at thebrick.com, I didn't think it was even available here (aside from the overpriced sonystyle.ca store of course).
post #730 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Lkr
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I hate when it tries to do PLII all the time. For example the NFL Network is DD 2.0, however the CT-100 tries to put it at PLII. I said screw it and changed from Movie to Standard to keep it at DD 2.0 only on that channel.
post #731 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 06:50 PM

Hey guys, pretty new to this forum long time lurker. I'm heading out in about 6 hours for the black friday sale of this setup @ 200 dollars. Just curious on how i should set this up, i have a sony xbr bravia 120hz tv. To the tv i have my time warner cable box - HDMI/or/Component - PS3(HDMI) - XBOX 360 (HDMI) - Wii(component). I've been browsing but i guess i'm not 100% sure how i should hook things up, running one HDMI to the htct 100 itself, then the others to it?

Thanks ahead of time for the anwsers ! Can't wait for this @ 200 dollars!
post #732 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy03 View Post

Hey guys, pretty new to this forum long time lurker. I'm heading out in about 6 hours for the black friday sale of this setup @ 200 dollars. Just curious on how i should set this up, i have a sony xbr bravia 120hz tv. To the tv i have my time warner cable box - HDMI/or/Component - PS3(HDMI) - XBOX 360 (HDMI) - Wii(component). I've been browsing but i guess i'm not 100% sure how i should hook things up, running one HDMI to the htct 100 itself, then the others to it?

Thanks ahead of time for the anwsers ! Can't wait for this @ 200 dollars!

Don't worry, if you have any questions after you get it, we'll be here when you get back !
At least Me and Rault will be, were fans of the CT100 and are often on this thread and forum.
(*I look at Lkr and whisper to flyguy03*)
Lkr is kinda new...
Just kidding, we are all here to help !

PSN- da1writer
post #733 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 09:38 PM

This may have been answered in one of the previous 25 pages...I got up to 15 and my eyes gave out, so please help.

My setup will be:

DISH HD DVR to CT100 by hdmi
Sony upconverting DVD player to CT 100 by hdmi
CT 100 to Samsung plasma by hdmi

My wife's mind gets boggled by the simplest remote control setups. So here's my question:

If she wants to watch the Samsung TV just using the Samsung's speakers and not mess with any remotes other than the DISH remote that she's used to, can she do that without even turning the CT 100 on?

Does the audio signal pass through even if the CT 100 is off?

If this is not possible, any other solution to KEEP IT SIMPLE?

(Dumping the wife is not an option at this point. I'm so glad she doesn't read these posts.)

Edit: OK, I just went to look at my setup in the bedroom. The Samsung is attched to the wall with one of those articulating arms that swivel up/down and left/right, and the TV itself is swiveled to the rightmaybe 15 degrees and tilted down a bit (it's 6' high but we watch it in bed).

The Samsung is 42" wide and the top edge is sloped down a bit.

Has anyone figured out a way to attached the sound bar directly to the TV?

I thought of industrial velcro, but I'd be worried because of the sloping top ledge.

The alternative would be to place the sound bar on a dresser below the TV, but I think it would look and sound better if it's integrated with the TV.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
post #734 of 3186 Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Woah dude, it's late and you're asking alot of questions, are you sure your not the FBI? Just puling your leg, I'll try to answer the best I can !

A1) Unless you have a Sony Bravia TV, you won't have to worry about the CT100 coming on at the same time. In order for your wife to have just sound coming out the speakers and not the CT100, change your TV's sound settings to not output externally every time you leave. To make it easier, just tell her to find the cable in the back of the CT100 that the DISH HD DVR is hooked up to, unplug it and put it into the HDMI port on the TV. If that's too much work, she might just have to put up with the CT100 remote. Tell her all she has to do is push the big green button on the top of the CT100 remote and press the + and - button as well to adjust the volume, Tell her not to use or press any other button. If she accidentally presses a button she doesn't know and the screen goes black or acts weird, tell her to press the big green button to turn it off and press it again for everything to go back to normal (or once was).

A2) Yes and the video.

A3)In order to keep it simple might not make your wallet happy (take this long story below as a grain of salt. This is my opinion of keeping it simple but might not be your kind of simple) Here's why:
I had a Westinghouse a few months ago and had 3 remotes for each item;
The TV remote, the CT100 remote, and my DVD remote.
I had to use all of them in order to get anything done. I one day read up on my CT100 about Bravia Sync and it told me about syncing multiple items so that you can use just ONE remote. Well I had a Sony DVD player with it's manual saying the same thing. So I had a Sony CT100 and a Sony DVD Player that were Bravia Sync ready but the TV was not. So my situation, I either had to continue to live like this or... get a Bravia. I know your concern though and know how much those things cost, but I steered away from the XBR's. I chose... a V4100, the cheapest Bravia brand this year for 40" TV's or above (exception to the s4100 series but that's less equipped for today's standards in my opinion). Once I came home with it, I instantly synched it and all of a sudden the CT100 controller was obsolete (and DVD remote)and I could control everything (exception to cable box) via thru the Bravia remote and TV itself, it felt awesome! (You still need the CT100 remote in order to change the settings like sound field and such)
So this in turns made it so I only needed one remote...well two for my cable box but it still made things alot simpler...

A4) Well as in any soundbar, it is usually meant to be either on a flat surface (like a TV stand, Desk, or table, etc.) or be mounted on the wall. If you have another option (like your info with velcro), I recommend to do it well and make sure it doesn't fall/damage. It also doesn't matter if you have have the sound bar directly below the TV as long as the soundbar is facing you is all that matters. Surround sound is going to be produced no matter what.

I would like to add that my answers above are from an owner of cable and a Bravia. It seems that your answers are better suited through this guy maybe-
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxola View Post

With my Dish DVR and Panasonic TH-42PX80U, when the CT100 is on, (and SAT is selected), I get sound through the CT100 only (and not the TV speakers).

When the CT100 is off (standby), I get sound through the TV speakers only.

This is a config whereby my Dish DVR is connected to the SAT HDMI port on the CT100 and the TV HDMI OUT is going to the Panasonic plasma. I also have an optical cable going from the Panasonic to the CT100.

PSN- da1writer
post #735 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 AM

well i got everything home and setup, until i went to switch to my 360.
I have a sony xbr 120hz tv.
Out of the tv, i have the HDMI ( coming out of HDMI 1 ) to the TV out on the back of the sub.

Out of the Sub i have my PS3 hooked up via the BD input, which works great. Mind you at this time i only have 2 hdmi cables, so i'm switching out devices ( cable box/PS3/360 ) When i switch the HDMI cable coming out of BD to my cable box, i get picture and sound. When i switch the cable to the 360, i get nothing. Why is this? I've tried the other HDMI ports on the back of the sub and still nothing.
post #736 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Out of the tv, i have the HDMI ( coming out of HDMI 1 ) to the TV out on the back of the sub.

Out of the Sub i have my PS3 hooked up via the BD input, which works great. Mind you at this time i only have 2 hdmi cables, so i'm switching out devices ( cable box/PS3/360 ) When i switch the HDMI cable coming out of BD to my cable box, i get picture and sound. When i switch the cable to the 360, i get nothing. Why is this? I've tried the other HDMI ports on the back of the sub and still nothing.

So can you clarify your setup again.

So far you have the following:

PS3/PS3/Cable HDMI to CT100
CT100 HDMI to TV

Is that correct?

PSN-RacerRex

CT-100 settings courtesy of Da1writer
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=745
post #737 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rault View Post

So can you clarify your setup again.

So far you have the following:

PS3/PS3/Cable HDMI to CT100
CT100 HDMI to TV

Is that correct?

Correct, PS3-360-DVR to HT-CT 100
And HDMI Fom CT-100 to TV

**Edit** i'm beginning to wonder if there is a sound option problem in the xbox 360 settings because yesterday i had it hooked up xbox straight to tv via HDMI cable but using tv speakers.
post #738 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Correct, PS3-360-DVR to HT-CT 100
And HDMI Fom CT-100 to TV

**Edit** i'm beginning to wonder if there is a sound option problem in the xbox 360 settings because yesterday i had it hooked up xbox straight to tv via HDMI cable but using tv speakers.

I was going to say if none of the hdmi inputs work on the CT100 to go into system settings on the 360 to make sure it's setup correctly.

PSN-RacerRex

post #739 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 06:44 AM

Works like a charm now So far i'm impressed for only spending 200 dollars.
post #740 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Works like a charm now So far i'm impressed for only spending 200 dollars.

Glad to hear it, go back a page or two on this thread to get your settings so your CT100 can sound even better!

PSN- da1writer
post #741 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr View Post

I hate when it tries to do PLII all the time. For example the NFL Network is DD 2.0, however the CT-100 tries to put it at PLII. I said screw it and changed from Movie to Standard to keep it at DD 2.0 only on that channel.

DD 2.0 is stereo which may have prologic surround encoded in it. If you defeat the PLII then you will only have stereo with no center channel. If you leave it in PLII you will the the surround if the DD 2.0 has it encoded. However you must decide with sound best to you. That is the bottom line.
post #742 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 05:30 PM

I'm a new owner of the ct-100 as well. And I would have to agree with a lot of the reviews. It's a very good deal for $250, but it does have some odd quirks. I have my Fios receiver, PS3, and 360 hooked up to it, all through hdmi. On my PS3, the volume is only satisfactory at the upper 40's(sometimes max is barely sufficient), the 360 at like 30, and the tv/dvr ranges anywhere from 14 to 40. It'd be nice to not to constantly be adjusting the volume so much so often. For reference, I keep it on Movie setting for everything as I've read that's what most do on these boards.

Sound is rich and full, but as everyone has stated, it's not surround. I no longer have an advantage in CoD4

The 3 hdmi inputs is why the system rules. I do miss my 5.1 Onkyo (the feed to the back left speaker went out), but having more space in my 15x15 room almost makes up for it.
post #743 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:

I also had trouble with hdmi at first with my Elite 360. No video. No audio. I changed the input from 1 to 2 and it worked. It also had problems with an HDMI switch I had before too. Weird. Guess the 360 is very hdmi sensitive.
post #744 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 24
A follow up post to my earlier post's on this thread reguarding the CT100 vs the YSP's.

So I got the YSP1100 and the Sony hooked up at the same time so I could see how much better the YSP100 sounded than the Sony and how much better it sounded than the YSP900 I checked out last week.

My opinions,,,, first off, in "my" living room (16' X14") the 1100 did not sound any better than the YSP900 that I played with last week,,, the YSP900 sounded really really good and I thought the 1100 would kick its ass,, but that was not the case,, I was really kinda shocked the 1100 did not blow away the 900, perhaps it has something to do with the 900 having the 3rd generation beaming tec. while the 1100 is second generation, but that just a guess on my part.

Anyhow, the point to this post, while the YSP900 and 1100 do sound better than the Sony and have a better surround effect I am again sticking with the CT100 because of the HDMI conectivity and the fact that the Sony does sound pretty darn good.
I have an Epson HC720 projector with one HDMI in, BluRay, HD DVD and a HD cable box so hooking up the CT100 is real easy and almost no wires to be run or seen anywhere.
With the YSP's, I was back to running more wires and using a HDMI switching box.
So for me I decided to sacrifice the (not that much better sound) of the YSP's for the ease of conectivity and the clean install look I get with the CT100.

A few side notes,, I had friends come over and listen as I demoed the CT100 and the YSP1100, their reactions were almost even as far as the sound of both units, but the funny thing is EVERYONE was commenting on how much cooler they thought the Sony looked, and how can that tiny little speaker put out that much sound and sound so good,,, it was kinda entertaining to hear their comments and it was also kind fun to see their reactions when I told everyone the MSRP prices of each system.

Other side note, speaking of MSRP,, I see on the Sony webiste the CT100 price is now $199.00 and I know Sony never sells anything discounted on their site unless its being discontinued or unless their is a newer model coming out soon.

Could this mean a newer and or improved CT100 soon to be released,,, that could be very interesting.
Not to say that the CT100 does not sound impressive but if Sony came out with a CT100 (CT200 or whatever) that sounded as good as the YSP's that would be very cool indeed.

Cheers
Davyo
post #745 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowk View Post

I'm a new owner of the ct-100 as well. And I would have to agree with a lot of the reviews. It's a very good deal for $250, but it does have some odd quirks. I have my Fios receiver, PS3, and 360 hooked up to it, all through hdmi. On my PS3, the volume is only satisfactory at the upper 40's(sometimes max is barely sufficient), the 360 at like 30, and the tv/dvr ranges anywhere from 14 to 40. It'd be nice to not to constantly be adjusting the volume so much so often. For reference, I keep it on Movie setting for everything as I've read that's what most do on these boards.

Sound is rich and full, but as everyone has stated, it's not surround. I no longer have an advantage in CoD4

The 3 hdmi inputs is why the system rules. I do miss my 5.1 Onkyo (the feed to the back left speaker went out), but having more space in my 15x15 room almost makes up for it.

Are you kidding me, this thing is SUPER LOUD!!! My neighbors start beating their ceiling when I get my volume over 18. Let's do some change of settings to make it louder.

CT100 settings:
1) On the CT100 remote, press SOUND FIELD. Press it multiple times until you see MOVIE flashing on the receiver (aka the screen on top of the SUB). You did this already I see but I gotta follow my steps !
2) Now press LEVEL MODE on the CT100 remote and keep the CENTER at 0. Lowering the center setting below that (-1, -2, etc.) quiets front sounds but causes the surround field to widen in the room.
Raising the center setting above that (+1, +2, etc.) makes everything a bit louder but you are sacrificing the surround because you are actually narrowing the surround field.
3) Still in LEVEL MODE, press down and put the SUB setting at +4.
I have mine at -1 because the higher level settings vibrates my floor and annoys my neighbors. It also makes explosions and sound alot louder but kinda muffles the surround a bit. You want loud though.
4) Press AMP MENU on the CT100 remote and press down until you get to AUDIO DRC. Press right and change the setting from OFF to STD. This makes the DD 5.1/ DTS 5.1 louder.

For PS3, with DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1:
Alright, For your games and DVD's I recommend DD 5.1 due to it working well with surround and doing a great job at environmental effects. I'm not a fan of DTS because it doesn't take advantage of DRC, nor does it produce a good surround effect compared to Dolby Digital, and environmental effects aren't produced at all. DTS flat out sucks in my opinion. So my recommendation is stick to Dolby Digital. Now unto the settings.

1) Go into your settings menu and roll down to Sound Settings, press X.
2) Press X on Audio Output Settings, press right on HDMI, press right on Manual.
3) Now UNCHECK everything and ONLY have a checked box of Dolby Digital 5.1 ch. (I know there are two grayed out boxes so don't worry about it). Press left and Press X to accept the settings.
4) Exit the sound settings and roll up to Video Settings, press X.
5) Roll down in this menu and on BD/ DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI), set to Linear PCM for your video games. ONLY have it set to Bitstream when watching DVD's, this is what kicks in the 5.1 sound option on DVD's.
6) After that, Press up once, highlighting BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control and turn it on. This makes the volume on CT100 even louder.
Now when you start your Game or DVD, watch the display on your SUB. If it flashes 5.1 and a DD shows up on the upper left corner of the Display, you are now enjoying Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound. If it says DD Prologic II and nothing else for a long time, you missed a step. Dolby Digital Prologic II is alright when it comes to sound but it's also SUPER QUIET.

For PS3, with 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound:
If you really want to make everything super loud, switch to 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound. I don't recommend it though.

When it comes to games, the rear effect is lost, especially in Insomniac's games and COD: World at War. Insomniac's games (like Ratchet and Clank Future and Resistance 2), along with COD: World at War have a SURROUND option in their sound settings. What this does to the CT100 with PS3's settings set at 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound, is totally kill the rear effect (when you turn your back to someone who is talking to ya, you can't hear anything) or make it so quiet that you you can't hear anything. What I come to find out is that DD 5.1 has no problem with this SURROUND setting and does the rear effects really well (to my ears), I'm guessing the Surround option is meant for DD 5.1. So when it comes to 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound, it falls flat when it comes to rear effect. What's worse is Environmental effects are lost as well. What this is when you...well your character is in a cave or long hallway (or large empty room), you hear the gun fire, yells, and other noises, ECHO realistically like you (or your character) are really there. DD 5.1 does a great job at that and 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound just doesn't. The same thing can be said about DVD's.

What 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound was actually meant for on the CT100... Bluray ! No soundbar at all (reviewed or reviewed well) can actually produce 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound but the CT100 can. What does this mean, well it can do the Bluray's HD sound formats just fine (via PCM though). This means you will be getting Crisper, clearer, LOUDER sound you could ever get out of DD 5.1 (or DTS 5.1)! So bluray (and the CT100) does best with the PS3 set at 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound! Here are the settings:

1) Go to your settings again and roll down to sound settings again, press X.
2) Press X on Audio Output Settings, press Right on HDMI, and press right on Manual.
3) Now UNCHECK everything and ONLY have a checked box of Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 48 kHz and Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 48 kHz. (I know there are two grayed out boxes so don't worry about it). Press left and Press X to accept the settings.
5) Roll down in this menu and on BD/ DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI), set to Linear PCM. NEVER have it set to Bitstream when watching Bluray's because the CT100 will try it's hardest to set the sound to Dolby Digital Prologic II.x (trust me the CT100 tries to do that all the time).
Now when you first start the Bluray, keep an eye on the display on your SUB.
If it flashes 5.1 or 7.1 for a second and you see PCM on the lower left corner, you are now enjoying TRUE 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound (HD Audio)! If you see something else, you skipped a step.

For PS3, Easier Setup for DVD's and Blurays (HDMI ONLY):
Alot of people look at my settings and mention to me alot that switching settings back and forth between DVD and Bluray settings is kinda cumbersome. Thanks to jokerfish I was pointed out an easier way to switching. Follow these steps and you should like this better than before.
2) Press X on Audio Output Settings, press right on HDMI, press right on Manual.
3) Now UNCHECK everything and ONLY have a checked box of Dolby Digital 5.1 ch, Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 48 kHz, and Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 48 kHz. (I know there are two grayed out boxes so don't worry about it).
4) Now when you start watching a movie (whether Bluray or DVD) press /\\ (triangle) to get a menu to pop up and look to the right and select "AV Settings".
5) Now a new menu should show up, press down until you get to "Audio Output Format" for a quick route to switch between bitstream or LPCM.
a] When watching a DVD, set to Bitstream to get you DD 5.1 (If you get low sound, use Linear PCM).
b] When watching Bluray, set to Linear PCM to get 5./7.1 LPCM Uncompressed Sound (aka HD formats via PCM).
Note 1- Whenever you do this "Easy Setup" Switching, the last change you make is saved on the PS3. In other words, if you change to Linear PCM through "Easy Setup" Switching, your Video Settings on the PS3 will be changed to that after you exit the movie (same goes if you switch to Bitstream).
Note 2- For Games, I still recommend the Game settings above (For PS3, with DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1:) due to Audio DRC, LPCM, and DD 5.1 working wonderfully together. For games, If you use this "For PS3, Easier Setup for DVD's and Blurays (HDMI ONLY):", LPCM switch (or Bitstream switch) would cause the game to go into 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound and won't sound that great for Games (no behind your back noise or environmental effects).

For PS3, Problem: Low Sound on DVD's and Blurays
Some have come up to me still saying their DVD's and Blurays are still not that loud and I had to think a bit and realized something.
For your DVD/Bluray movies, go through this process (PS3):
1) While watching a movie, press the /\\ (triangle) button and a menu should overlay the screen.
2) There should be an icon with a volume/speaker symbol called Volume Control on the far right.
3) Select that and boost it to +4, see if this does anything for you.
Now if you are STILL getting low sound on your PS3,
1) Turn the Audio Dynamic Range Control OFF in the Video Settings of your PS3.
2) Also, on the CT100, press the AMP MENU on your CT100 remote and on your CT100's Subs Display you should have SET HDMI flashing on screen.
3) Press down on your remote until you get to AUDIO DRC.
4) Press right on your remote and press up (or down, I don't remember which button) to turn it OFF.

For PS3, Problem: Low Sound on DVD's STILL
As a Last Resort, If your DVD's are still not really loud or not adequate enough to enjoy/hear, use my Bluray settings above to address that issue. It still sounds great by the way!

Big thanks goes to Rault, Davyo, and jokerfish for helping me update and verify certain settings!

Hopefully this helps you out, please report back soon on your findings !
P.S. Surprised of the long post aerowk? Well my user name is da1writer and most people on this forum know, I like to write !

@Davyo: Good to see you are still popping on this thread, still like the CT100?
Mr-Phelps likes this.

PSN- da1writer
post #746 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quick question from a newbie. I just picked this up today and am extremely satisfied. However, I have it hooked up Optical out from the TV, as I have all my inputs carefully calibrated (I find the 360 / PS3 / Cable Box HDMI outputs slightly different & want diff settings to keep my color temp the same for all devices).

Now, I'd really like to get uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 and have no problem hooking up everything with HDMI from the CT100. However, I can't bring myself to have one "standard" setting for everything on my TV. Is there any way to get 5.1 without using the CT100 as an HDMI switch?
post #747 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridneptune View Post

Quick question from a newbie. I just picked this up today and am extremely satisfied. However, I have it hooked up Optical out from the TV, as I have all my inputs carefully calibrated (I find the 360 / PS3 / Cable Box HDMI outputs slightly different & want diff settings to keep my color temp the same for all devices).

Now, I'd really like to get uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 and have no problem hooking up everything with HDMI from the CT100. However, I can't bring myself to have one "standard" setting for everything on my TV. Is there any way to get 5.1 without using the CT100 as an HDMI switch?

I hear you on this Arid - If there was one thing I would change with the CT100 is that for each HDMI input source, I wish it had a separate/dedicated HDMI out to the TV.

Like you I have different video settings for Off Air TV, BD/DVD and Satellite on my TV. Here's what how I have it setup currently to maintain the individual video settings.

PS3 HDMI to CT100 (To maintain lossless sound)
DirecTV box HDMI2 to TV for Video and DirecTV box Coaxial to CT100 for sound.
TV Offair Optical to CT100
CT100 HDMI1 to TV

One other thing, I am using a Harmony Remote and programmed it so that I control specific component based on viewing source. For example when watching Satellite, I programmed my Remote to change the channel on the Sat box, change volume on CT100 and and have it on SAT mode on the CT 100. I don't think you can do that with the Sony Remote..

DA - Great post buddy...

PSN-RacerRex

post #748 of 3186 Old 11-28-2008, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do...just need to get another HDMI cable from Monoprice. Really the lossless 5.1/7.1 only matters for Blu-Ray from the PS3 anyway.
post #749 of 3186 Old 11-29-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Davyo: Good to see you are still popping on this thread, still like the CT100?

Yep Mr Writer, Im still here,, after purchasing and playing with the YSP-900 and YSP-1100 Im keeping the CT-100.
And by the way, your CT-100 post's are very informative, we might have to crown you the AVS Sony CT-100 guru,, many thanks to you.

And a question for you,,, from reading your other post.
I been going back and forth between settings on the CT-100 and my Samsung 1500 BluRay player trying to find the right combination of settings to get the best sound and best surround effect , the only audio choice's I have on the Samsung 1500 are,,, PCM,,, Bitstream (Re-encode) and Bitstream (Audiophile),, I have kinda lost track of all the different setting combinations I have tried with my B.D player and the CT100,,,,but by your earlier post am I correct that the best setting for my BluRay would be PCM and not either of the Bitstreams ???

Thanks much in advance Writer
Cheers
Davyo
post #750 of 3186 Old 11-29-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Are you kidding me, this thing is SUPER LOUD!!! My neighbors start beating their ceiling when I get my volume over 18. Let's do some change of settings to make it louder.

CT100 settings:
1) On the CT100 remote, press SOUND FIELD. Press it multiple times until you see MOVIE flashing on the receiver (aka the screen on top of the SUB). You did this already I see but I gotta follow my steps !
2) Now press LEVEL MODE on the CT100 remote and keep the CENTER at 0. Lowering the center setting below that (-1, -2, etc.) quiets front sounds but causes the surround field to widen in the room.
Raising the center setting above that (+1, +2, etc.) makes everything a bit louder but you are sacrificing the surround because you are actually narrowing the surround field.
3) Still in LEVEL MODE, press down and put the SUB setting at +4.
I have mine at -1 because the higher level settings vibrates my floor and annoys my neighbors. It also makes explosions and sound alot louder but kinda muffles the surround a bit. You want loud though.
4) Press AMP MENU on the CT100 remote and press down until you get to AUDIO DRC. Press right and change the setting from OFF to STD. This makes the DD 5.1/ DTS 5.1 louder.

For PS3, with DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1:
Alright, For your games and DVD's I recommend DD 5.1 due to it working well with surround and doing a great job at environmental effects. I'm not a fan of DTS because it doesn't take advantage of DRC, nor does it produce a good surround effect compared to Dolby Digital, and environmental effects aren't produced at all. DTS flat out sucks in my opinion. So my recommendation is stick to Dolby Digital. Now unto the settings.

3) Now UNCHECK everything and ONLY have a checked box of Dolby Digital 5.1 ch. (I know there are two grayed out boxes so don't worry about it). Press left and Press X to accept the settings.
5) Roll down in this menu and on BD/ DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI), set to Linear PCM for your video games. ONLY have it set to Bitstream when watching DVD's, this is what kicks in the 5.1 sound option on DVD's.
6) After that, Press up once, highlighting BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control and turn it on. This makes the volume on CT100 even louder.
Now when you start your Game or DVD, what the display on your SUB. If it flashes 5.1 and a DD shows up on the upper left corner of the Display, you are now enjoying Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound. If it says DD Prologic II and nothing else for a long time, you missed a step. Dolby Digital Prologic II is alright when it comes to sound but it's also SUPER QUIET.

For PS3, with 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound:
If you really want to make everything super loud, switch to 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound. I don't recommend it though.

When it comes to games, the rear effect is lost, especially in Insomniac's games and COD: World at War. Insomniac's games (like Ratchet and Clank Future and Resistance 2), along with COD: World at War have a SURROUND option in their sound settings. What this does to the CT100 with PS3's settings set at 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound, is totally kill the rear effect (when you turn your back to someone who is talking to ya, you can't hear anything) or make it so quiet that you you can't hear anything. What I come to find out is that DD 5.1 has no problem with this SURROUND setting and does the rear effects really well (to my ears), I'm guessing the Surround option is meant for DD 5.1. So when it comes to 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound, it falls flat when it comes to rear effect. Ehat's worse is Environmental effects are lost as well. What this is when you...well your character is in a cave or long hallway (or large empty room), you hear the gun fire, yells, and other noises, ECHO realistically like you (or your character) are really there. DD 5.1 does a great job at that and 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound just doesn't. The same thing can be said about DVD's.

What 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound was actually meant for on the CT100... Bluray ! No soundbar at all (reviewed or reviewed well) can actually produce 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound but the CT100 can. What does this mean, well it can do the Bluray's HD sound formats just fine (via PCM though). This means you will be getting Crisper, clearer, LOUDER sound you could ever get out of DD 5.1 (or DTS 5.1)! So bluray (and the CT100) does best with the PS3 set at 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound! Here are the settings:

1) Go to your settings again and roll down to sound settings again, press X.
2) Press X on Audio Output Settings, press Right on HDMI, and press right on Manual.
3) Now UNCHECK everything and ONLY have a checked box of Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 48 kHz and Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 48 kHz. (I know there are two grayed out boxes so don't worry about it). Press left and Press X to accept the settings.
5) Roll down in this menu and on BD/ DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI), set to Linear PCM. NEVER have it set to Bitstream when watching Bluray's because the CT100 will try it's hardest to set the sound to Dolby Digital Prologic II.x (trust me the CT100 tries to do that all the time).
Now when you first start the Bluray, keep an eye on the display on your SUB.
If it flashes 5.1 or 7.1 for a second and you see PCM on the lower left corner, you are now enjoying TRUE 5.1/7.1 LPCM uncompressed sound (HD Audio)! If you see something else, you skipped a step.

Hopefully this helps you out, please report back soon on your findings !
P.S. Surprised of the long post aerowk? Well my user name is da1writer and most people on this forum know, I like to write !

@Davyo: Good to see you are still popping on this thread, still like the CT100?

Thanks for the thorough post! Actually, I thought after reading some of your previous posts I already did have the settings like you had them. But I never did the switching from Linear to Bitstream when playing games and movies. I hadn't even turned the auto DRC on. Also, I did turn my center from 3 to 0. I mainly watch dvd's and play games on the PS3. I only have a few Pixar and Bruckheimer Blurays. Hopefully, I'll remember to make the audio adjustments then!

And the system I mainly game on is the 360. Love the Rock Band and CoD4. Rock Band sounds great, and I hear a lot of detail in CoD4 (maybe even more than with my 5.1 Onkyo), but I still don't really get any surround effect. I'm pretty sure there's no extensive audio settings to adjust on the 360. Oh well.

In conclusion, I rewatched the trailer fight scene in Kill Bill vol 2 and there was certainly a difference. I'll test it out with something else tonight. Thanks!

P.S. I'm also curious what your video settings are on the PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Htct100 Sound Bar With Subwoofer Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page