Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I own the JVC. It sounds very good. Better sound than it should have at the price they charge.

Have not heard the Pioneer. Past experience with Pioneer in speakers has been mostly negative. Don't know anything about the current generation as they have not been in any of the US stores near me in years.

David Freeman
post #3 of 10 Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your rely

what about the JVC TH-BS7

i am not concerned with loudness of speakers only the quality or should i just go with Yamaha ysp for quality of sound

many thanks
Talal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 PM

I have the JVC as well. It sounds great for the money involved. I don't have any experience with pioneer.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The JVC BA-1 sounds very nearly as good as the new Yamaha YSP-2200. The 2200 has a more convincing surround mode, the JVC provides slightly better inner detail. The last big YSP (4100) was about equal to a Sony CT-150 at about 1/5 the price. Both had pluses and minuses. Have not heard the other JVC units, but basic sonic signature should be similar.

Theses are all my personal opinions and biases as far as sound quality. I have owned a previous generation Yamaha and used it for two years and am quite familiar with their overall sonic signature. I believe the new 2200 is the best sounding YSP to date plus it integrates better with the supplied sub-woofer than previous generations of the YSP.

If you have the money to spend and will not be satisfied with anything but the best, get the Yamaha. Of course the best today may be bettered tomorrow which is why I like the idea of getting sound 95% as good for about 1/3 the price and having money to upgrade when the opportunity arises.

David Freeman
post #6 of 10 Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks drfreeman60

you made your point perfectly and i agree with every word

i have attached the floor plans of the flat although they are old and allot of furniture was aded but to get a picture of my situation and if the JVC would do the job for me
post #7 of 10 Old 03-26-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I love the design. I am old but like open spaces and moved to a condo that is almost all open spaces a little over four years ago.

The JVC will definitely be able to fill the room with sound. Mine can get loud enough to overwhelm. Due to the configuration of your room, you may not get a lot of surround effect. With proper settings, the sound field should extend out beyond the physical sides of the soundbar. The Yamaha could probably extend this even further.

My room dictates that my home entertainment equipment be located in a corner with no side wall to one side and the first wall to the rear about 38' from the front of the soundbar and the final rear wall almost 60' away. When I had the Yamaha YSP I could find settings that would bring the sound close to my sides, but to adjust it for that much surround required a large degree of phase shift and sound processing. I have spent almost 40 years looking for clean, accurate sound and sonic accuracy has always been my number one criteria. I seem to be especially sensitive to phase discrepancies. Therefore, after months of experimenting with the Yamaha, I eventually settled on what was basically a 3.1 setup with just a little surround to extend the soundstage to the sides slightly. The JVC can achieve a similar degree of surround or sound outside the physical parameters of the speaker with just a little adjustment with little or no sonic degradation. I have also helped a neighbor with the same floorplan as mine install a Sony CT-150 with really good results. Probably a little better surround effects with a small loss in sonic clarity compared to my unit (I think as I have not compared the two side by side).

Anyway, congrats on a beautiful living space and keep us posted as to your purchase, set up and satisfaction on your soundbar.

David Freeman
post #8 of 10 Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

i just received my JVC ba1 ..

and sadly i thought it would get at least some surround sound but .. no ..
witch is a big disappointment for me ..
but never the less ...
it is an improvement from my TV but not as i expected specially from the reviews i red .. it could be from the odd shape of the room ..
i wonder would the YSP 2200 make a difference .. but .. i am a bit disappointed from the bar i have that i think no bar could get surround or close to it .. maybe if you have the ideal room for it .. maybe if your room is square shaped then maybe but not for me sadly i dont trust them any more .. i would really like to have the effect of surround maybe other brand would .. i dont know .. but looking at it as better sound quality that the TV then they are good to consider as it produces nice bass and good quality sound but no surround for me.

mant thank
Talal
post #9 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The YSP may give a little better surround effect. Part of its effects come from bouncing sound off walls. Part comes from phase shift and time delays done electronically. The phase shift and time delays were more annoying to me than the lack of surround so I typically kept my YSP in 3.1 mode. On the JVC I use the surround mode 1 with very conservative surround settings from the unit (I believe +2 or +3). Center channel at about +5 and sub at -2 to avoid any boominess. With these settings I have no actual surround, but do get a nice soundfield that seems to extent 6' to 8' beyond the side of the cabinet that houses the TV and soundbar. The fact that the JVC picks up so much more detail, plus has tremendously better dynamics than my YSP was the reason I kept the JVC. Gave the YSP to my son who mainly uses it 3.1 due to the shape of his room and placement of his TV.

David Freeman
post #10 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

sound produced by the JVC is amazing as you have pointed out and i dont feel down by it but i wished for something more but nevertheless it produces crisp clear sound that i cannot complain about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page