Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #1111 of 1905 Old 12-09-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
my mom bought a tv for her bedroom and big surprise the built in speakers on her new tv don't sound as good as the built in on the bulky old CRT it replaced

space is a concern... you can't really see in the photo but her cable box is behind the tv and the gap under the tv enough for the remote for the box to work and not really any other place to put the cable box

not sure if a soundbar would be the best option or what but one thing that is 100% necessary is an optical input as the TV has no other audio out option

TV Samsung UN32J5205

no room for a subwoofer, budget is $100 or less just needs to sound better than the TV's own speakers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0679.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1108442  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1905 Old 12-17-2015, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've been reading through the threads and trying to understand tradeoffs between a high-end soundbar vs. bookshelf speakers.

My setup:
- 65" LG OLED
- Yamaha A-1000 Receiver
- I put away my Polk Audio floor standing speakers because we have two little kids running around and I wanted to simplify.
- Energy Take-5 Powered subwoofer.
- Set of in-ceiling speakers (use as surround)

- We mainly watch television/netflix and listen to streamed music (pandora, amazon prime, etc)
- I like the idea/convenience of a soundbar.

I'd like to improve the sound and voice clarity. Sometimes, I have a harder time hearing what people are saying.

Budget isn't an issue, but want to be practical and of good value.

Open to any suggestions. I'd love to hear pros/cons if I get something like the Sonos Playbar vs JBL LSR-305 (recommended by Ellebob in another thread).

I happen to have a set of old Take-5 speakers gathering dust in the garage. How much better is something like the JBL LSR-305 or playbar than the Take-5?

Thanks in advance
post #1113 of 1905 Old 12-17-2015, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just picked up the Martin Logan Motion Vision soundbar at BB for $799.99 plus tax and I have to say it is pretty freaking awesome. This is marked down from $1499.99 due to the fact they are releasing a new model with airplay and some other options I don't really care about. For me it was between this and the Sonos, and I can say this beats the Sonos by a mile. Just my two cents.
49Merc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1905 Old 12-17-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonmaha View Post
I just picked up the Martin Logan Motion Vision soundbar at BB for $799.99 plus tax and I have to say it is pretty freaking awesome. This is marked down from $1499.99 due to the fact they are releasing a new model with airplay and some other options I don't really care about. For me it was between this and the Sonos, and I can say this beats the Sonos by a mile. Just my two cents.
How is with dialogue from tv, on demand and Blu Ray or dvd's?
johnner1999 likes this.

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
post #1115 of 1905 Old 12-17-2015, 08:02 PM

Dialogue is amazing! The folded motion tweeters handle everything thrown at them.
You have 30 days to return if you don't like it.
I'm thinking about a sub now but this thing has great bass as well.
johnner1999 and 49Merc like this.
post #1116 of 1905 Old 12-21-2015, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG Sound bars - Choose them or not?

I have been doing a lot of research into a middle of the road (budget wise) sound bar and have read pretty good reviews for the LG LAS751M bar and its sound quality (at least as far as the CNET review goes). I have also seen the the LAS851M sound bar is the model up and on sale for another $150 more but cant find a single professional review for it online, and very few user reviews on the internet as well. Does anybody own or have any experience with these bars? I particularly like them because of their ultra slim profile which would allow me to keep my tv on its stand and not prop it up because of the issue with blocking the IR sensor. I have a Samsung UN60F8000 TV FYI, which creates all kinds of problems when trying to place a soundbar in front of it while the tv rests on an entertainment console.

Thank you all for your help and opinions!
post #1117 of 1905 Old 12-22-2015, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Soundbar with abilty to adjust l-r balance

I'm looking for a soundbar where I can adjust the speakers left and right balance. This would be for a center only soundbar and not a 5.1 system. My problem is my hearing in my left ear is about 2/3's that of my right ear. Consequently when the speakers are center balanced, the sound will seem to be skewed to my right. With my current TV (a Sony LCD Rear Projection - KDF50E3000) which has good speakers, I can compensate for this by adjusting the balance to the left via the TV's menu (note: I have the L-R set at 75% - 25%).
I'm now looking to buy a new TV (probably a 55" LG OLED). The speakers on it probably won't be adequate - thus the need for a sounbar. However, I cannot find a soundbar with the ability to adjust the L-R balance. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY?
NOTE: A sound-stand/base/pad speaker system would also be acceptable if it had this feature and the ability to decrease the bass volume level as well if it has built-in subwoofers.
post #1118 of 1905 Old 12-24-2015, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlca1 View Post
I've been reading through the threads and trying to understand tradeoffs between a high-end soundbar vs. bookshelf speakers.

My setup:
- 65" LG OLED
- Yamaha A-1000 Receiver
- I put away my Polk Audio floor standing speakers because we have two little kids running around and I wanted to simplify.
- Energy Take-5 Powered subwoofer.
- Set of in-ceiling speakers (use as surround)

- We mainly watch television/netflix and listen to streamed music (pandora, amazon prime, etc)
- I like the idea/convenience of a soundbar.

I'd like to improve the sound and voice clarity. Sometimes, I have a harder time hearing what people are saying.

Budget isn't an issue, but want to be practical and of good value.

Open to any suggestions. I'd love to hear pros/cons if I get something like the Sonos Playbar vs JBL LSR-305 (recommended by Ellebob in another thread).

I happen to have a set of old Take-5 speakers gathering dust in the garage. How much better is something like the JBL LSR-305 or playbar than the Take-5?

Thanks in advance
This post and the one above touch on the quality of today's 'brand new' speakers and yesterday's gear. My opinion is (from helping friends and dealing with trying to mix and match new and old gear in the house) that most of the time the older speakers were built better and sound richer. The new gear has new tricks like 'Time Delay' and wireless Bluetooth reception.

Where I get lost is trying to follow a hookup description that goes through a gaming console, I don't game. Seems odd to me.

I would never throw out a pair of speakers older than fifteen years, driving them and wiring them up is the challenge.
post #1119 of 1905 Old 12-25-2015, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi All,

I am looking for a sound bar around the $300 range. I know that something in the price range won't give me the best sound quality. However, I am currently using the speakers built into my flat screen TV. My assumption is that anything would be better than that.

I have narrowed it down to a few choices:

1.) LG LAS751 - On Sale for $247

2.) Samsung HW-J55 - On sale for $280

3.) Vizio SB4051-C0 - On Sale for $299

I currently own an LG TV, but am looking at a new Samsung TV. I am not sure if having both components manufactured by the same company would provide any benefit or not. Also, I am open to suggestions besides the sound bars above.
post #1120 of 1905 Old 12-25-2015, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sound Bar

Hi All,

I am looking for a sound bar around the $300 range. I know that something in the price range won't give me the best sound quality. However, I am currently using the speakers built into my flat screen TV. My assumption is that anything would be better than that.

I currently own an LG TV, but am looking at a new Samsung TV. I am not sure if having both components manufactured by the same company would provide any benefit or not. Also, I am open to suggestions besides the sound bars above.
post #1121 of 1905 Old 12-26-2015, 01:10 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been looking into several soundbars to add to a new TV I will be buying soon, on which I haven't fully decided yet either.

From what I've gathered there are two main options of which I'm leaning towards Sonos atm:
-Sonos Playbar
-Heos Homecinema by Denon

Comparing both:
Pros for Sonos:
- More developed app
- Expandable to 5.1 surround (this is the main reason I'm leaning towards Sonos as I plan to expand)

Cons for Sonos:
- No DTS, although I'm not really sure if this applies to me or what it is.
- More expensive (€799 for Sonos / €699 for Heos) & Subwoofer included in price of Heos.

As for sound quality, I haven't been able to compare the two as I've only found a Sonos Playbar to listen to in a showroom.

I'd love to hear from owners or reviewers of both to provide me with some more insight as to which is better and why.
Also, if there are any alternatives worth considering and why.

Many thanks in advance!
post #1122 of 1905 Old 12-26-2015, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdt88 View Post
I have been doing a lot of research into a middle of the road (budget wise) sound bar and have read pretty good reviews for the LG LAS751M bar and its sound quality (at least as far as the CNET review goes). I have also seen the the LAS851M sound bar is the model up and on sale for another $150 more but cant find a single professional review for it online, and very few user reviews on the internet as well. Does anybody own or have any experience with these bars? I particularly like them because of their ultra slim profile which would allow me to keep my tv on its stand and not prop it up because of the issue with blocking the IR sensor. I have a Samsung UN60F8000 TV FYI, which creates all kinds of problems when trying to place a soundbar in front of it while the tv rests on an entertainment console.

Thank you all for your help and opinions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy12 View Post
Hi All,

Yeah, I can't seem to find any AVS user reviews about the LAS751M. As mentioned, you can get a decent price on it at $247 (compared to MSRP) on hhg and they also have the NP8340 Music Flow H3 for $80 (vs. nearly 2x that elsewhere) which can be used as rear surround channels (you'd need two). There's also a 11% coupon code making the entire 5.1 wireless soundbar system around $360. The other choice with wireless rear speakers (well, a wireless sub you'd have to put behind you and have wires going to the two rear channels) is the above mentioned Vizio SB4051-C0, which has decent reviews other than people say there's too much bass even with the woofer at zero. If you need wireless (or near wireless) rears, those two choices seem better (in terms of price) than the Sonos system which is very hard to find at anything other than the MSRP (so a sub, bar, and two rears end up costing WAY more than the Vizio or LG mentioned here).

There's one thread for the Vizio here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-so...co-review.html

I can't find anything like that for the LG LAS751M.

Anyway, can some forum members help these guys and future search results people by comparing the performance and reliability (e.g, wireless disconnects or pretty solid? speakers buzz/hiss when not is use or not an issue?) of the Vizio SB4051-C0 and the LG LAS751M? Well, you don't have to compare if you've only had experience with one or the other, but any comments are welcome. Some of the Amazon reviews are just 1 star because someone has a bad wifi/bluetooth connection or something, so I'd tend to focus more on knowledgeable AVS forum member comments. Thanks!
post #1123 of 1905 Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 PM

I appreciate you re-invigorating our above posts. I'm feel like this thread is now devoid of people helping and consistent of only people asking for help lol I heard the LAS751M in store and it sounded pretty good and you can't beat it's insanely low profile that is also shared on the LAS851M model. I wish there were more people that had experience with either of these bars to chime in. The LG sound share systems seems very interesting and $80 a piece for the read channels isn't unreasonable if I wanted to later convert the system to full 5.1 with wireless rear channels. I can't figure out if the LAS851M is worth the $100+ dollar price difference.
post #1124 of 1905 Old 12-29-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootymonger View Post
Yeah, I can't seem to find any AVS user reviews about the LAS751M. As mentioned, you can get a decent price on it at $247 (compared to MSRP) on hhg and they also have the NP8340 Music Flow H3 for $80 (vs. nearly 2x that elsewhere) which can be used as rear surround channels (you'd need two). There's also a 11% coupon code making the entire 5.1 wireless soundbar system around $360. The other choice with wireless rear speakers (well, a wireless sub you'd have to put behind you and have wires going to the two rear channels) is the above mentioned Vizio SB4051-C0, which has decent reviews other than people say there's too much bass even with the woofer at zero. If you need wireless (or near wireless) rears, those two choices seem better (in terms of price) than the Sonos system which is very hard to find at anything other than the MSRP (so a sub, bar, and two rears end up costing WAY more than the Vizio or LG mentioned here).

There's one thread for the Vizio here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-so...co-review.html

I can't find anything like that for the LG LAS751M.

Anyway, can some forum members help these guys and future search results people by comparing the performance and reliability (e.g, wireless disconnects or pretty solid? speakers buzz/hiss when not is use or not an issue?) of the Vizio SB4051-C0 and the LG LAS751M? Well, you don't have to compare if you've only had experience with one or the other, but any comments are welcome. Some of the Amazon reviews are just 1 star because someone has a bad wifi/bluetooth connection or something, so I'd tend to focus more on knowledgeable AVS forum member comments. Thanks!

I currently have the Vizio SB4051-C0 and while I think it sounds very good and has more than acceptable (for the price) genuine surround without the need to run wires to the rear and I don't feel the bass is as overactive as I expected, it does suffer from occasional brief but noticeable dropouts. The audio sporadically drops out for a fraction of a second, I am still within my return period with BB and if I cannot get this corrected I will be bringing it back. Also I am unsure if this a problem with the soundbar or the new Samsung 65JS8500. I have tried both the HDMI ARC connection and the optical, both have the same issue and based on other reports of issues with this soundbar I am thinking the problem is not generated by the tv.

So I am also curios about the LG LAS751M, I saw the model in the store and thought it sounded pretty good on its own with the sub but I sought out the Vizio for the rears and true rather than simulated surround effects. I failed to investigate far enough to find out the bar could be paired with the other musicflow speakers for surround sound. If anyone has heard these in that type of setup, how does it sound, especially how is the 4.1 for dialogue? I'm sure its fine in quiet scenes but does the sound that would normally be directed to a center channel get washed out in loud scenes?
post #1125 of 1905 Old 12-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 275
The hhgregg deal for the LAS751M is over (back to $400 and no 11%), but the Music Flow H3s are still $80. I mostly talked myself out of the LAS751M for a 5.1 setup based on a couple of reviews (and the price shooting back up).

Page two of the CNET shows the downside of the surround setup:
http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-music-flow-las751m/2/

Quote:
Given how impressive the sound bar/sub was on its own, we found that listening in surround -- with the addition of a pair of LG's H3 speakers -- was disappointing in comparison. One reason is that, while the system can decode both DTS and Dolby surround soundtracks, if it receives a stereo signal -- such as from a CD -- it automatically translates this into an undefeatable faux-surround mode, which is terrible for listening to music.

Secondly, the app doesn't give you control over the level of each speaker, and there's no calibration routine, so you have to adjust the volume from each unit individually using trial and error. The net effect is that the soundfield never gelled when watching movies, and in fact the combination of the sound bar and sub without the surround speakers sounded more seamless. This was also partly due to the H3 speakers yielding a more "closed" sound than the sound bar, so there was a sonic disconnect on surround pans. A calibration routine would have helped even out these discrepancies.
The other negative review was one saying that the wireless speakers sometimes were out of sync, which I would imagine could be annoying:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...nds-on-review/

Quote:
Our only considerable complaint is a simple one: syncronization issues. While the system works extremely well with speakers spread throughout the home, whenever we tried pairing two speakers together for stereo sound, or setting speakers up to play a surround sound role, we found they had a tough time playing in concert. One speaker was always just a little bit off from the other in stereo mode, making the system sound as if some sort of chorus effect was turned on. It was worse when trying to use a pair of speakers as surrounds with the sound bar: There was almost no cohesiveness there.
Based on those I thought I might as well wait and see what comes with the new year.
post #1126 of 1905 Old 12-29-2015, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I have one of these that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I am buying this on all of the positive feedback here and elsewhere. I was going to try and compare the Denon HEOS and the Sonos and pick one. Considering the price and the size of the speakers it sounds like no brainer and I am kind of surprised anyone looking in this price range wouldn’t jump on one even if you dont like it BB will take it back. Im pretty sure its going to be a keeper for me. I was also looking at the Yamaha ATMOS system like the 2500 but I watch in a vaulted great room and the ATMOS trickery would not be significant from what I can deduce.
I also found the MLogan sub the Dynamo 300 new with free shipping on Amazon for $160 so I ordered one today and it should arive next week sometime.
If the vocals and the overall sound is anywhere as good as people say I will be happy.
I took back a POS onkyo (in my opinion) HTIB system that blew a speaker playing back interstellar with a volume level that wasnt really that loud.
For the moment Im stuck with just the TV speakers until tomorrow. Sold the old Bose321 along with the Pioneer Plasma to a guy at work for $350.

Last edited by kentg; 12-29-2015 at 06:09 PM.
post #1127 of 1905 Old 12-30-2015, 08:36 AM

Hi guys, im looking for a new soundbar or a home cinema for my Panasonic TV - TX-47AS650e - 47inch. It should cost around 200 euro and i prefer panasonic brand. I dont know anything about audio, so please recommend me something. I like the SC-HTB485EGK soundbar and im curious about the SC-BTT465EG9 home cinema. Thank you for your answer. P.S. i also want to get rid of the high volume of music/sound effects and low volume of dialogues during movies.
post #1128 of 1905 Old 12-30-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentg View Post
I have one of these that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I am buying this on all of the positive feedback here and elsewhere. I was going to try and compare the Denon HEOS and the Sonos and pick one. Considering the price and the size of the speakers it sounds like no brainer and I am kind of surprised anyone looking in this price range wouldn’t jump on one even if you dont like it BB will take it back. Im pretty sure its going to be a keeper for me. I was also looking at the Yamaha ATMOS system like the 2500 but I watch in a vaulted great room and the ATMOS trickery would not be significant from what I can deduce.
I also found the MLogan sub the Dynamo 300 new with free shipping on Amazon for $160 so I ordered one today and it should arive next week sometime.
If the vocals and the overall sound is anywhere as good as people say I will be happy.
I took back a POS onkyo (in my opinion) HTIB system that blew a speaker playing back interstellar with a volume level that wasnt really that loud.
For the moment Im stuck with just the TV speakers until tomorrow. Sold the old Bose321 along with the Pioneer Plasma to a guy at work for $350.
I've always liked Martin Logan and their designs. I remember Sound & Vision years ago when flat screens were becoming popular, and on their cover shot was a Pioneer 50" plasma on an HT wall, with Martin Logan "Fresco" speakers mounted beside it on the left, right and below at center. Great setup.

Other than getting a super deal on a ML or similar, folks might want to wait a few weeks to after the upcoming 2016 CES. I'm sure the latest crop of soundbars will be shown by all the major players, and if you don't like the 2016 models, there's sure to be major price reductions on the older 2015's.
post #1129 of 1905 Old 12-31-2015, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
HK sb26 vs Sony ht-ct 780 and ht-st5

I'm selling my Onkyo tx-nr 609 and two Polk rti 4 speakers.

Sad to see them go but wife wants no wires and I want great sound for a cheap price. Best bang for buck.

DEVICES:
refurb sb26 for $400cad taxes in
The Sony ht-ct780 is $308 taxes in woohoo (that's cheap)
I'm still waiting on the ht-st5 price.

USAGE:
everyday use
tv (kdl 60" bravia)
movies (plex)
music (currently stream from Onkyo app, I like my music)
Living room/dining room = 23x13 (living only is 15x13)

Sony is nice due to only having one remote for all devices but are the two Sony I mentioned crap sound compared to HK?
i had the sony 780, the sub did not work, but the soundbar sounded no better than tv speakers, i dont know if the sub not working had any affecrt on the soundbar sounding like crap but took it back and looking at other options.
post #1130 of 1905 Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcarty View Post
i had the sony 780, the sub did not work, but the soundbar sounded no better than tv speakers, i dont know if the sub not working had any affecrt on the soundbar sounding like crap but took it back and looking at other options.
Not sure what your budget is but I quickly realized that Soundbars are not to my standards. I will be buying another receiver soon.

The SB 26 had an amazing sub but the soundbar itself had way too much mid and there's no way to adjust the sound. It was loud though, I will give it that, but I don't care for loud poorly sounding audio.

Disclosure:
I am not an audiophile. I'm just an anal retentive consumer who strives for perfection
49Merc likes this.
post #1131 of 1905 Old 01-01-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
I've always liked Martin Logan and their designs. I remember Sound & Vision years ago when flat screens were becoming popular, and on their cover shot was a Pioneer 50" plasma on an HT wall, with Martin Logan "Fresco" speakers mounted beside it on the left, right and below at center. Great setup.

Other than getting a super deal on a ML or similar, folks might want to wait a few weeks to after the upcoming 2016 CES. I'm sure the latest crop of soundbars will be shown by all the major players, and if you don't like the 2016 models, there's sure to be major price reductions on the older 2015's.
I have to plug this sound bar now. Mine sounds even better than I hoped and if anyone doesn't worry about the streaming and is just wanting a sound bar I have to say this may be a deal for you. True no one knows whats coming in a few weeks but I have no idea how many of these discounted last years are left but I got a feeling there isn't a endless supply of them. BB wants to clear out the stock Im sure and at this price who knows.
Its like the LG 65EF9500 I bought two weeks ago. The price was right, its the one I wanted and I got a good deal from Cleveland Plasma for $4250 delivered. And the prices jumped back up $1000 after Christmas.
I guess my point is a bird in the hand thing. And it would sound great on this sound bar and look great on the new OLED
cajieboy likes this.
post #1132 of 1905 Old 01-01-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Not sure what your budget is but I quickly realized that Soundbars are not to my standards. I will be buying another receiver soon.

The SB 26 had an amazing sub but the soundbar itself had way too much mid and there's no way to adjust the sound. It was loud though, I will give it that, but I don't care for loud poorly sounding audio.

Disclosure:
I am not an audiophile. I'm just an anal retentive consumer who strives for perfection
These soundbars are not really designed to replace a superior audio setup with amp/receiver + L&R fronts & rears + center + quality sub. Rather, these soundbars are made to go where for whatever reason into space that does not easily permit the full HT compliment of audio components. Most of the better ones even say their soundbars will not provide a 5.1 experience.

I have not heard the Sony soundbar you mentioned, but as general rule of thumb w/exceptions of course, I prefer to purchase speakers from a company that specializes in that area. Whatever the case, it doesn't seem that any soundbar would have cut the mustard for your ears. No way am I making a case for soundbars per se. I understand what you're saying, and in your case you went with the option that works best for your particular needs. If a choice is possible to be made, then it's a no-brainer to go separates.
post #1133 of 1905 Old 01-02-2016, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How good is the bose 130 for movies? In particular to dialogue during action sequences?

Or would the sony htst9 be better?

Looking for a fuller sound.
post #1134 of 1905 Old 01-08-2016, 05:10 PM

I've decided to use a soundbar due to a small living room and too much furniture in the way for larger floor standing speakers...

- Used for 65" TV (Vizio M65-C1) -- Netflix, streaming movies, and football on Sundays thru antennae
- Room is about 10'x18'
- Seated about 10' away from TV
- Budget up to $500
- Subwoofer would be nice since I watch lots of action movies!
- at least a 3.1 would be nice since I have some problems listening to voices in movies

HELP!
post #1135 of 1905 Old 01-08-2016, 08:06 PM

Sorry to mention again but the Matin Logan Vision (Not Vision X) is on sale at BB for $799. Buy a movers coupon on eBay and you save 10%.
In my opinion at this price point for a ML product you can't go wrong. Yes, it's still expensive, has no HDMI or streaming but.... This thing thumps without a sub and the dialog is forward and clear.
post #1136 of 1905 Old 01-08-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentg View Post
Quote:
I have one of these that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I am buying this on all of the positive feedback here and elsewhere. I was going to try and compare the Denon HEOS and the Sonos and pick one. Considering the price and the size of the speakers it sounds like no brainer and I am kind of surprised anyone looking in this price range wouldn?t jump on one even if you dont like it BB will take it back. Im pretty sure its going to be a keeper for me. I was also looking at the Yamaha ATMOS system like the 2500 but I watch in a vaulted great room and the ATMOS trickery would not be significant from what I can deduce.
So what do you think? Like it?
post #1137 of 1905 Old 01-08-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Sorry to mention again but the Matin Logan Vision (Not Vision X) is on sale at BB for $799. Buy a movers coupon on eBay and you save 10%.
In my opinion at this price point for a ML product you can't go wrong. Yes, it's still expensive, has no HDMI or streaming but.... This thing thumps without a sub and the dialog is forward and clear.
Would love to buy this but it's sold in stores only, and no store within 250 miles of me has it in stock.
post #1138 of 1905 Old 01-08-2016, 09:20 PM

Could you go to the store and have one sent in? Ship to store?
post #1139 of 1905 Old 01-10-2016, 09:11 AM

Liked: 11
Need a soundbase for under $100

We have a 2013 model Westinghouse 40" TV in our bedroom and I am looking around for a SoundBase but not willing to pay more than $100.

Our bedroom is about the size of a small living room, comfortably fits a King Bed and a Love Seat. Typical sound problem on the cheap TV, cheap speakers are too quite, and when you turn the sound up loud enough to hear everything, there tends to be a lot of distortion. I suspect that ANY soundbase is going to be better than the speakers in this TV, but I figured I would ask to see if anybody has had any experience with these already.

I am NOT looking for "quality" sound... The purpose is merely to hear the TV volume more clearly and without the distortion, and we want the BlueTooth feature to play music from our phones. Yes, I know that the cheap sound bases will also have distortion at louder volumes, but if the volume of one of these is even twice as loud overall, then the listening volume for us to watch TV in bed "should" have much less distortion... is my thinking correct? (thin weather stripping around the base might even reduce it further, i would think)

In any case, these are the options I am considering, all of which are available under $100. Does anybody have any direct experience with any of these? Or any other suggestions?

Vizio S2121w-D0 2.1
RCA RTS796B 2.1
Maxell SSB-3WB 2.1
SHARPER IMAGE / Southern Telecom SBT2015BK 2.1

Last edited by RedJamaX; 01-10-2016 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added two more options
post #1140 of 1905 Old 01-10-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJamaX View Post
We have a 2013 model Westinghouse 40" TV in our bedroom and I am looking around for a SoundBase but not willing to pay more than $100.

Our bedroom is about the size of a small living room, comfortably fits a King Bed and a Love Seat. Typical sound problem on the cheap TV, cheap speakers are too quite, and when you turn the sound up loud enough to hear everything, there tends to be a lot of distortion. I suspect that ANY soundbase is going to be better than the speakers in this TV, but I figured I would ask to see if anybody has had any experience with these already.

I am NOT looking for "quality" sound... The purpose is merely to hear the TV volume more clearly and without the distortion, and we want the BlueTooth feature to play music from our phones. Yes, I know that the cheap sound bases will also have distortion at louder volumes, but if the volume of one of these is even twice as loud overall, then the listening volume for us to watch TV in bed "should" have much less distortion... is my thinking correct? (thin weather stripping around the base might even reduce it further, i would think)

In any case, these are the options I am considering, all of which are available under $100. Does anybody have any direct experience with any of these? Or any other suggestions?

Vizio S2121w-D0 2.1
RCA RTS796B 2.1
Maxell SSB-3WB 2.1
SHARPER IMAGE / Southern Telecom SBT2015BK 2.1
Go to Walmart and buy the cheapest soundbar in stock. I guarantee you will achieve your goal of having non-quality sound.

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
passive soundbar , sound bar system

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page