Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #1711 of 1886 Old 07-16-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked: 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast4321 View Post
Thanks, that's super helpful! Out of curiosity, what's the SVS option?
SVS has an on wall Elevation speaker line designed for height based audio.

https://www.svsound.com/pages/prime-elevation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1886 Old 07-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks! I think for now I'll start off with the ZF9's and upgrade once I have a place where I can mount speakers. Now to find some good speaker stands for the rears...
post #1713 of 1886 Old 07-19-2018, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Appreciate helping out a newbe for soundbar suggestion

We recently purchased a LG OLED 65B7A TV. After discussing with my wife, we decided to keep the TV our bedroom where our family spend most of our TV time. Anyways, after upgrading the TV, I am thinking my current 3 years old Vizio S4251w-B4 soundbar may need to be upgraded as well. We also updated our Netflix subscription to take advantage of Dolby Vision and Dolby atmos from the build-in LG Netflix software in the TV.

I am looking for the following in a soundbar:

1/ Ability to receive Dolby Atmos via HDMI ARC from the LG TV (lossy is fine, understood the limitation of ARC vs the new eARC).

2/ Soundbar only OR Soundbar + Sub setup. No surround speakers needed. The current soundbar setup that we have has soundbar + sub + 2 surround speakers. We turned off the sub and 2 surround speakers 99% of the time. The sub is too loud for our 6 years old and 10 months kids who spend most of their time in our bedroom.

3/ I am thinking I should stick with a LG soundbar from the compatibility perspective. I am not sure the differences between the SK9Y vs SK10Y. It is about $100 difference in street prices. Is that the right direction? which one?

4/Money is definitely a factor, unlike most of the rich folks here at the avsforum . As it is, I will have some convincing to do with my wife, so if there are cheaper alternatives that will meet our needs, I am very interested.

Thanks in advance for helping us out, we appreciate it

Last edited by tmac6767; 07-19-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 1886 Old 07-20-2018, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac6767 View Post
Appreciate helping out a newbe for soundbar suggestion

We recently purchased a LG OLED 65B7A TV. After discussing with my wife, we decided to keep the TV our bedroom where our family spend most of our TV time. Anyways, after upgrading the TV, I am thinking my current 3 years old Vizio S4251w-B4 soundbar may need to be upgraded as well. We also updated our Netflix subscription to take advantage of Dolby Vision and Dolby atmos from the build-in LG Netflix software in the TV.

I am looking for the following in a soundbar:

1/ Ability to receive Dolby Atmos via HDMI ARC from the LG TV (lossy is fine, understood the limitation of ARC vs the new eARC).

2/ Soundbar only OR Soundbar + Sub setup. No surround speakers needed. The current soundbar setup that we have has soundbar + sub + 2 surround speakers. We turned off the sub and 2 surround speakers 99% of the time. The sub is too loud for our 6 years old and 10 months kids who spend most of their time in our bedroom.

3/ I am thinking I should stick with a LG soundbar from the compatibility perspective. I am not sure the differences between the SK9Y vs SK10Y. It is about $100 difference in street prices. Is that the right direction? which one?

4/Money is definitely a factor, unlike most of the rich folks here at the avsforum . As it is, I will have some convincing to do with my wife, so if there are cheaper alternatives that will meet our needs, I am very interested.

Thanks in advance for helping us out, we appreciate it
Assuming you don't have a massive bedroom, your budget, full compatibility and not necessary to have strong sub, I would recommend:

- Sony XF9000 (if you fancy virtual atmos and DTS-X compatibility);
- LG SJ9 (I haven't seen much talk about performance from SJ9 to SK9); or
- LG SK9Y or Sony ZF9 (if you can spend a bit extra for a bit more updated features - as stated above I don't see much between SJ9/SK9, but ZF9 is definitely better than XF9000).

In my opinion, any other option would be too powerful for your use and/or not necessarily better for the price increase.

The virtual atmos is something worth checking in a store. Not everyone likes it.

Hope this helps.
post #1715 of 1886 Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujao View Post
Assuming you don't have a massive bedroom, your budget, full compatibility and not necessary to have strong sub, I would recommend:

- LG SK9Y or Sony ZF9 (if you can spend a bit extra for a bit more updated features - as stated above I don't see much between SJ9/SK9, but ZF9 is definitely better than XF9000).

In my opinion, any other option would be too powerful for your use and/or not necessarily better for the price increase.

The virtual atmos is something worth checking in a store. Not everyone likes it.

Hope this helps.
I disagree - stores have ceilings that are WAY too tall for this to work properly in most scenarios. Additionally, the amount of background noise detracts from being able to truly experience it.

Whatever the choices might be, buy them, take them home, set them up, test them, and return the one(s) that you don't like. It's the only way to know how well it will work. I have moved a soundbar setup from one room to another and went from it being fine to it being poor for performance.
post #1716 of 1886 Old 07-20-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujao View Post

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I disagree - stores have ceilings that are WAY too tall for this to work properly in most scenarios. Additionally, the amount of background noise detracts from being able to truly experience it.

Whatever the choices might be, buy them, take them home, set them up, test them, and return the one(s) that you don't like. It's the only way to know how well it will work. I have moved a soundbar setup from one room to another and went from it being fine to it being poor for performance.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it. I went to local Bestbuy today to audition soundbars. Unfortunately they don't have LG soundbars set up correctly. However, I had a chance to listen to Sony Z9F (~$800), Martin Logan vision x (~$900), Sony ht-st5000 (~$1000). They are pretty impressive, especially Z9F and Vision x.

However, I can purchase a LG SK9Y for $400 and SK10Y for $500. Thats probably the most $ that I want to spend on a bedroom soundbar. I am leaning towards purchasing SK9Y, mainly due to $100 saving. I searched the soundbar forum and looked through all the post associated with SK9Y. Not too many reviews, compared to SK10Y. It looks like SK10Y has a better tweeter, a different tuning, extra 50W, an extra HDMI input, and more control of the speakers via LG App. Perhaps I should just spend an extra $100 and get SK10Y over SK9Y, Should I? Appreciate some input...

P.S.. I really enjoy the Z9F sound, I can wait for 6 months for Z9F price to come down when a new model is introduced.

Last edited by tmac6767; 07-20-2018 at 06:23 PM.
post #1717 of 1886 Old 07-20-2018, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it. I went to local Bestbuy today to audition soundbars. Unfortunately they don't have LG soundbars set up correctly. However, I had a chance to listen to Sony Z9F (~$800), Martin Logan vision x (~$900), Sony ht-st5000 (~$1000). They are pretty impressive, especially Z9F and Vision x.

However, I can purchase a LG SK9Y for $400 and SK10Y for $500. Thats probably the most $ that I want to spend on a bedroom soundbar. I am leaning towards purchasing SK9Y, mainly due to $100 saving. I searched the soundbar forum and looked through all the post associated with SK9Y. Not too many reviews, compared to SK10Y. It looks like SK10Y has a better tweeter, a different tuning, extra 50W, an extra HDMI input, and more control of the speakers via LG App. Perhaps I should just spend an extra $100 and get SK10Y over SK9Y, Should I? Appreciate some input...

P.S.. I really enjoy the Z9F sound, I can wait for 6 months for Z9F price to come down when a new model is introduced.
I have the Z9F with the rears. It works fairly well for a main TV setup. For a bedroom, it probably boasts more features than you would use with the fake ATMOS, but the 3.1 configuration would probably be nice. I don't know that you'll see much of a price drop any time soon as it's on the newer side and I don't know that these see the kinds of price drops that the TV's do.

BB regularly offers the best version of the open box items for a pretty good discount, but I had zero luck actually getting one. The first one I tried ordering got lost and the second one was delivered damaged (seems to be all too common with these soundbars because the original factory packaging isn't meant for shipping).
post #1718 of 1886 Old 07-20-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I have the Z9F with the rears. It works fairly well for a main TV setup. For a bedroom, it probably boasts more features than you would use with the fake ATMOS, but the 3.1 configuration would probably be nice. I don't know that you'll see much of a price drop any time soon as it's on the newer side and I don't know that these see the kinds of price drops that the TV's do.

BB regularly offers the best version of the open box items for a pretty good discount, but I had zero luck actually getting one. The first one I tried ordering got lost and the second one was delivered damaged (seems to be all too common with these soundbars because the original factory packaging isn't meant for shipping).
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to wait and try out more soundbars next week. As I was googling around, Samsung HW-MS650 came up as one of the older soundbars, that may take care of 90% of my criteria for around $250-$300. I want to look into that as well ...
post #1719 of 1886 Old 07-21-2018, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to wait and try out more soundbars next week. As I was googling around, Samsung HW-MS650 came up as one of the older soundbars, that may take care of 90% of my criteria for around $250-$300. I want to look into that as well ...
I didn't mention the sammys because they are not compatible with atmos via Arc, but they do have great sound.
I honestly think you would be happier with ZF9 or SK10 if you can pay the extra as you will be able to use all the features. Given the prices mentioned the SK10 seems the perfect match (the con in my opinion is lack of DTS-X).

It is said the quality of SK10 is far superior to the SK9.
post #1720 of 1886 Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
Look no further than the upcoming 2018 Atmos/DTS:X soundbar from Samsung the HW-N950 due to come out either this month or next month, final pricing is still unknown though.
@Zoland2020 : Thank you for the suggestion: HW-N950Atmos/DTS:X soundbar from Samsung. I look forward to this/next month and auditioning at my condo. Some USA pricing hints from bhphotovideo.com suggest $1697.99 (pre-order) which is within $1,700 budget.
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #1721 of 1886 Old 07-24-2018, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Have you encountered any lip sync issues with the Z9F. I have the sony 940e tv and tried an lg sc9y soundbar from costco and had to return it due the lip sync issue. I connected it to the tv via optical. I am hoping to find a soundbar that will pair with my sony 940e that doesn't have a lib sync problem.

Sony XBR65A1E
post #1722 of 1886 Old 07-24-2018, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsalamon View Post
Have you encountered any lip sync issues with the Z9F. I have the sony 940e tv and tried an lg sc9y soundbar from costco and had to return it due the lip sync issue. I connected it to the tv via optical. I am hoping to find a soundbar that will pair with my sony 940e that doesn't have a lib sync problem.
I have a UHD BluRay player and a cable box connected to the TV on HDMI 2 and 1, respectively. The soundbar is connected via ARC on HDMI 3. With the internal apps, there is no lip sync issue. With the cable box, there is a very noticeable lip sync issue. The DVD player has only been used for Planet Earth II so far, and that's voice-over. So, I don't know yet.

The cable box on the last TV used the optical out of the TV to a different soundbar and there was no lip sync issue. Too many variables have changed for me to know if it's the TV, the soundbar, the connection type, ARC, or some sort of combination.
post #1723 of 1886 Old 07-25-2018, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Hisense H8C TV that can do 4k. I also use a Roku and am looking for something cheap ($250 tops but preferrably <$200) that can do audio leveling and better speaker sound.

Any advice on YAS-107 vs YAS-108 vs any other suggestions?

Thanks!
post #1724 of 1886 Old 07-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually decided to just order the Yamaha YAS-108 so I guess we'll see how it goes.
post #1725 of 1886 Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Pretty much narrowed down to two soundbars.... the Beam and ML Cadence.

Sound quality is probably the most important thing to me.

Not looking to shake the block but will probably add a sub to either one.

Also will not be adding additional speakers. Just need to keep it clean for everyday tv and movie watching with music streaming from various built-in apps such as spotify.

Question - do both have an auto on when the TV is turned on? This feature is a dealbreaker/maker for me. I do not want to pick up a second remote and turn on the soundbar.

On my other TV I had a pansonic soundbar that integrated very well together through their Viera system. I never had to touch the soundbar except near the end when it stopped auto'ing on.
post #1726 of 1886 Old 07-29-2018, 04:31 PM

Liked: 10
OK I need some help. I have reviewed many of these Soundbar forums to the point of getting an ice cream headache from information overload. I have checked out CNET and Consumer Reports online to see their reviews and ratings.

Current setup:
[*]Panasonoic 50" Plasma TC-P50ST60 -1 ARC HDMI 2 HDMI
[*]Sony older 5.1 receiver with Sony cheap speakers
[*]Samsung older Blue Ray player
[*]Family room size is 15' x 21' 8 ft ceilings
[*]Harmony 650 remote

We watch cable HDTV most of the time and have a Netflix account. Also want to play music from iPhones through soundbar. Current setup too complicated and never works right. Want to move away for receiver setup and move to a decent soundbar.

Max budget is $1000.00 Leaning towards a soundbar with wireless rear speakers and wireless sub.

[*]Models we have listed to at Best Buy:
[*]Samsung HW-K950/ZA
[*]Sony ZF9
[*]Sonos Beam w/o the wireless sub
[*]Sony HTNT5

Key requirements is best sound possible from a soundbar but more importantly, a setup that works all the time and is simple to use.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited ?

Last edited by mgmoreau; 07-29-2018 at 04:39 PM.
post #1727 of 1886 Old 07-30-2018, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmoreau View Post
OK I need some help. I have reviewed many of these Soundbar forums to the point of getting an ice cream headache from information overload. I have checked out CNET and Consumer Reports online to see their reviews and ratings.

Current setup:
[*]Panasonoic 50" Plasma TC-P50ST60 -1 ARC HDMI 2 HDMI
[*]Sony older 5.1 receiver with Sony cheap speakers
[*]Samsung older Blue Ray player
[*]Family room size is 15' x 21' 8 ft ceilings
[*]Harmony 650 remote

We watch cable HDTV most of the time and have a Netflix account. Also want to play music from iPhones through soundbar. Current setup too complicated and never works right. Want to move away for receiver setup and move to a decent soundbar.

Max budget is $1000.00 Leaning towards a soundbar with wireless rear speakers and wireless sub.

[*]Models we have listed to at Best Buy:
[*]Samsung HW-K950/ZA
[*]Sony ZF9
[*]Sonos Beam w/o the wireless sub
[*]Sony HTNT5

Key requirements is best sound possible from a soundbar but more importantly, a setup that works all the time and is simple to use.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited ?
I will give my blanket statement here once again... You need to take something home and listen to it there, with what you normally watch. It is absolutely the only way you will determine what works for you.

The Z9F is in your price range, but not with the rears. Also, from my own use of it, it has a nice feature with IR passthrough (in case you place it such that it blocks the IR receiver of the TV), but I had to put everything on Manual connection mode because the automatic mode wouldn't even connect the sub. Personally, I think the fake Atmos is a bit of a gimmick, but also don't always know when I have it turned on.

The HTNT5 was very "bland" in my opinion. It's a 2.1 setup, so all you're getting is stereo sound with a sub for a little more low frequency response. If all you watch is the news and would like something better than the built-in speakers, then a 2.1 bar would seem to make sense.

I've read a lot of comments about Sonos that A) folks love them and B) they have no HDMI so some of your sound options are limited.
post #1728 of 1886 Old 07-30-2018, 09:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
I will give my blanket statement here once again... You need to take something home and listen to it there, with what you normally watch. It is absolutely the only way you will determine what works for you.

The Z9F is in your price range, but not with the rears. Also, from my own use of it, it has a nice feature with IR passthrough (in case you place it such that it blocks the IR receiver of the TV), but I had to put everything on Manual connection mode because the automatic mode wouldn't even connect the sub. Personally, I think the fake Atmos is a bit of a gimmick, but also don't always know when I have it turned on.

The HTNT5 was very "bland" in my opinion. It's a 2.1 setup, so all you're getting is stereo sound with a sub for a little more low frequency response. If all you watch is the news and would like something better than the built-in speakers, then a 2.1 bar would seem to make sense.

I've read a lot of comments about Sonos that A) folks love them and B) they have no HDMI so some of your sound options are limited.
meburdick, thanks for this reply, very helpful.

The IR pass-through is big plus that I was not aware of with the Z9F. All these soundbars will block the IR on my Panny TV as it is located only 2" off the cabinet surface. So from your experience, you could only get the IR pass-through to work if you put everything on manual connection mode. Can you explain what that means and what are the downsides to this manual mode? Do the Sony rear speaker have the dual speakers that face the ceiling and the room like the Samsung rear speakers?

Any opinion on the Samsung K950?
post #1729 of 1886 Old 07-30-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmoreau View Post

meburdick, thanks for this reply, very helpful.

The IR pass-through is big plus that I was not aware of with the Z9F. All these soundbars will block the IR on my Panny TV as it is located only 2" off the cabinet surface. So from your experience, you could only get the IR pass-through to work if you put everything on manual connection mode. Can you explain what that means and what are the downsides to this manual mode? Do the Sony rear speaker have the dual speakers that face the ceiling and the room like the Samsung rear speakers?

Any opinion on the Samsung K950?
The IR passthrough and the speaker connectivity mode are not related. Sorry for the confusion. Also, it’s worth knowing that you will have to enable the IR pass through option as it’s disabled by default.

When you set the bar up, the config is set to automatic mode for connectivity to the remote speakers. This never worked for me, even with the linked sub. I had to put it in manual mode and re-link the sun. When I added the rears, they connected up easily in this mode, but trying to revert back to automatic mode “broke” the connectivity again.
post #1730 of 1886 Old 07-30-2018, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I plan on sitting 12' from a 65" Vizio flatscreen. It will be in a room ~13' x 24' with ceilings over 16' high open to the second floor. The only space available for a speaker is on the console in front of/beneath the TV. I prefer a flat frequency response over deep bass and good stereo sound over simulated surround effects.

Considering the following options:
1) Built-in TV speakers (free)
2) Vizio integrated 2.1 sound bar - SB362An-F6 (~$100)
3) Vizio 2.1 sound bar - SB3621n-E8 (~$130)
4) Yamaha YAS-107 (~$150)
5) Upcoming Vizio 3.1.2 Atmos sound bar (>$400?)

I'm fine with the TV speakers if a sound bar only provides marginal gain. My concern with options 2 & 4 are my 16' high ceilings. Would the vertically-oriented drivers still sound good without a ceiling to reflect on? Also, does anyone think option 5 is worth the premium?
post #1731 of 1886 Old 07-30-2018, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZwartePiet View Post
I plan on sitting 12' from a 65" Vizio flatscreen. It will be in a room ~13' x 24' with ceilings over 16' high open to the second floor. The only space available for a speaker is on the console in front of/beneath the TV. I prefer a flat frequency response over deep bass and good stereo sound over simulated surround effects.

Considering the following options:
1) Built-in TV speakers (free)
2) Vizio integrated 2.1 sound bar - SB362An-F6 (~$100)
3) Vizio 2.1 sound bar - SB3621n-E8 (~$130)
4) Yamaha YAS-107 (~$150)
5) Upcoming Vizio 3.1.2 Atmos sound bar (>$400?)

I'm fine with the TV speakers if a sound bar only provides marginal gain. My concern with options 2 & 4 are my 16' high ceilings. Would the vertically-oriented drivers still sound good without a ceiling to reflect on? Also, does anyone think option 5 is worth the premium?
The only way you’ll know if you like any of those is take them home and try them.

No amount of comments and opinions is going to ensure that something is pleasing to your ear.
post #1732 of 1886 Old 08-02-2018, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you have a ceiling that is 1) not flat or 2) very high then you can forget about having a good Atmos experience.

With that being said some soundbars get around this by throwing the sound over and across your head instead of at the ceiling - the Z9F does this, the benefit of this is you still get some audio over your head regardless of your ceiling setup

it is sounding like the z9f is going to be the best option for you
post #1733 of 1886 Old 08-03-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was pretty set on getting the Yamaha YAS-107BL, but then I came across the Samsung HW-MS57C 4.1-Channel Sound Bar System with Built-in Subwoofer (certified refurb) for $119.

Which one should I choose??

https://www.focuscamera.com/samsung-...subwoofer.html
post #1734 of 1886 Old 08-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello!

looking for a soundbar to hook my LG C7, Shield, and Xbox One X to. My budget is 1500.

I'm trying to consider the latest LG, Samsung or Sony Zf9 but I cant seem to find many solid reviews on any of them.

I am leaning more toward the Zf9 but I'm unsure if the "over the head" atmos effect would benefit me as I'm sitting about 9-10 ft from the TV. I also read the ZF9 is only really good with the rears but I have no idea how or where Id mount them.

Any temporary wall mounting hooks for the rears that dont damage walls?

Thanks so much in advanced all!
post #1735 of 1886 Old 08-11-2018, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hello!

I got a totally noob question, be gentle with me)

I've got Samsung 65JS9500, Apple 4k TV and Ps4 pro and want to buy a JBL 5.1 soundbar (https://www.jbl.com/bar-series/JBL+B...urrent#start=1)

I'm totally new in this subject, so can you help me? As far as I understand this soundbar doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus so I won't be able to utilize Netflix and Amazon 5.1 sound in this setup and will be limited to stereo? Or it will be decoded by TV or Apple 4k and sent to the soundbar?

Maybe there is something similar to this soundbar? I gave a small room (around 20m) and it is not pre-wired for a real 5.1 setup. Main purpose - movies, streaming services and gaming, don't care about music.

Thank you! Sorry for my English, not my native language.
post #1736 of 1886 Old 08-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovesny View Post
Hello!

I got a totally noob question, be gentle with me)

I've got Samsung 65JS9500, Apple 4k TV and Ps4 pro and want to buy a JBL 5.1 soundbar (https://www.jbl.com/bar-series/JBL+B...urrent#start=1)

I'm totally new in this subject, so can you help me? As far as I understand this soundbar doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus so I won't be able to utilize Netflix and Amazon 5.1 sound in this setup and will be limited to stereo? Or it will be decoded by TV or Apple 4k and sent to the soundbar?

Maybe there is something similar to this soundbar? I gave a small room (around 20m) and it is not pre-wired for a real 5.1 setup. Main purpose - movies, streaming services and gaming, don't care about music.

Thank you! Sorry for my English, not my native language.
I am pretty sure Dolby digital plus is backwards compatible with Dolby Digital. The JBL 5.1 soundbar is a true 5.1 channel bar and will decode Dolby digital. I had this soundbar for awhile and for movies it was very good. It has 6 different sound modes to. The small wireless rear speakers do an excellent job and are easy to wall mount with included mounts.

(Living Room) Sony XBR-65X900E 4K TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K BD player, Pioneer SC-LX502, Def Tech BP9020's, A90 atmos, CS-9040 C and Di 5.5R surrounds

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
post #1737 of 1886 Old 08-13-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post
I am pretty sure Dolby digital plus is backwards compatible with Dolby Digital. The JBL 5.1 soundbar is a true 5.1 channel bar and will decode Dolby digital. I had this soundbar for awhile and for movies it was very good. It has 6 different sound modes to. The small wireless rear speakers do an excellent job and are easy to wall mount with included mounts.
Are there any references where I can check it?
Did you have any experience using Netflix with this soundbar?

Maybe you have some other thoughts or comments on this product?

Thanks a lot!
post #1738 of 1886 Old 08-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Are there any references where I can check it?
Did you have any experience using Netflix with this soundbar?

Maybe you have some other thoughts or comments on this product?

Thanks a lot!
Just google Dolby digital plus and most articles say it's backwards compatible to DD with a 5.1 set up. I didn't use Netflix but did use Amazon prime / My TV with xfinity / My Sony Blue ray player with many different types of music CD's and movie disc. Dolby digital, DTS, Atmos, SACD, standard 2 channel CD's and all sounded good. The 6 different sound modes have different set ups for the rear speakers. Read the manual carefully when connecting the soundbar and sound mode settings. Be sure to run calibration with the included mic when you have the rear speakers where you want them.

The JBL 5.1 is a impressive soundbar if your not interested in Atmos or DTS:X. You can even use it with the rear speakers mounted on the bar in there charging location and it has a more open sound stage up front in certain sound modes.

Go to my other thread i started on the Yamaha YAS-107 and check out post 62 and 77 for my thoughts of the JBL 5.1 and pictures of my set up. Here is a link to the thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...on-so-far.html
Slovesny likes this.

(Living Room) Sony XBR-65X900E 4K TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K BD player, Pioneer SC-LX502, Def Tech BP9020's, A90 atmos, CS-9040 C and Di 5.5R surrounds

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers

Last edited by RKSKYDANCER; 08-13-2018 at 05:07 PM.
post #1739 of 1886 Old 08-14-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post
The JBL 5.1 is a impressive soundbar if your not interested in Atmos or DTS:X. You can even use it with the rear speakers mounted on the bar in there charging location and it has a more open sound stage up front in certain sound modes.

Go to my other thread i started on the Yamaha YAS-107 and check out post 62 and 77 for my thoughts of the JBL 5.1 and pictures of my set up. Here is a link to the thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...on-so-far.html
Thanks for th link and detailed reply, that helped a lot! Just another question - maybe there are some other soundbars with similar functionality? I am particularly interested in fully wireless rear speakers. If there are none - I will buy JBL with a light heart.

Oh, and do you know anything about Yamaha YSP 2700? Does it produce a decent surround effect?
post #1740 of 1886 Old 08-14-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for th link and detailed reply, that helped a lot! Just another question - maybe there are some other soundbars with similar functionality? I am particularly interested in fully wireless rear speakers. If there are none - I will buy JBL with a light heart.

Oh, and do you know anything about Yamaha YSP 2700? Does it produce a decent surround effect?
Most (all?) of the soundbars that can connect rear speakers do so via some sort of wireless connectivity (WiFi, RF, Bluetooth, etc.). The same is typically true for the sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
sound bar system

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page