Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #1861 of 1880 Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there,
I'm looking soundbar for my TV. Is there any soundbar with Dolby Atmos and subwoofer output, because I have Yamaha SW300 sub and don't want throw away?
Exceptions:
X-Fi ® Sonic Carrier™ - too expensive
Yamaha YSP-5600 - too tall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1880 Old 05-19-2019, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey everyone,

I have recently moved into a new place and I really want to find a good sound system to add to my setup. Unfortunately I don’t have space for a large bulky avr system. However, my room is not small so I don’t mind something that will work and sound good in a medium to large room.

I have been looking into a few different soundbars and have pretty much narrowed down my list. So far I’ve been looking at

-SamsungN950 (Really only because I’ve heard some people say that it is a really good high performance soundbar)

-SonyST5000

-2019 Nakamichi 9.2 SSE

I would also like to take advantage of Dolby Atmos. Is there certain soundbars that can sound better than others while playing Atmos?

These are my devices

Tv:Samsung q7 55 inch
Sources: PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, and a fire stick.

Nakamichi has been known for their good sound quality, however does anyone have any personal experience with a 9.2 system? Does it compare to other soundbars such as the Samsung?

Any advice would be great! I’m really just looking for a good reliable system.

Thanks!
post #1863 of 1880 Old 05-22-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonderShark View Post
Hey everyone,

I have recently moved into a new place and I really want to find a good sound system to add to my setup. Unfortunately I don’t have space for a large bulky avr system. However, my room is not small so I don’t mind something that will work and sound good in a medium to large room.

I have been looking into a few different soundbars and have pretty much narrowed down my list. So far I’ve been looking at

-SamsungN950 (Really only because I’ve heard some people say that it is a really good high performance soundbar)

-SonyST5000

-2019 Nakamichi 9.2 SSE

I would also like to take advantage of Dolby Atmos. Is there certain soundbars that can sound better than others while playing Atmos?

These are my devices

Tv:Samsung q7 55 inch
Sources: PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, and a fire stick.

Nakamichi has been known for their good sound quality, however does anyone have any personal experience with a 9.2 system? Does it compare to other soundbars such as the Samsung?

Any advice would be great! I’m really just looking for a good reliable system.

Thanks!
I personally own the old Nakamichi 9.2 and love it but I heard the new samsung n950 is really impressive too. Anyway, you may be in luck if you live in the Bay Area. A youtuber called Brian Tong is doing an atmos comparison event and all 3 soundbars you mentioned will be compared. Looked up this youtuber and he has quite a large following (139k followers). https://www.eventbrite.com/e/compari...ts-61778854216
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 1880 Old 05-31-2019, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I posted this on a couple of forums until a kind user directed me here.

Hoping this forum can help answer.

Long-time audiophile/videophile downsized to apartment to be closer to work. So now instead of our LG OLED 65", Oppo 205, Anthem, and Martin Logans, we have just the LG, an Oppo 203, and a Roku plugged into the Oppo.

The video is incredible, but the audio, not so much. I mean, the LG *tries* to make good sound, but it can't really do much with the teeny speakers in its stand/soundbar. Dialogue is hard to hear, kind of muffled.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Moving the MLs, Oppo 205, and Anthem to the apartment isn't possible, because 1) our cats (formerly exiled to one floor of the house) would be able to access, and shred, the MLs, 2) the noise would annoy neighbors, and 3) not enough space.

The Oppo has two HDMI outputs. One currently goes to the LG. The other is available to plug into <something> if I could figure out what the something should be.

Are there any soundbars that accept HDMI in without it being ARC, and without assuming it should be passed to the TV?

Are any of the soundbars any good?

I can get an inexpensive A/V receiver, but that's a slipperly slope because then of course we'd need speakers, and etc.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit

Last edited by jimshowalter; 06-01-2019 at 06:55 AM.
post #1865 of 1880 Old 06-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello!
Another "help me choose" message
I'm looking to purchase a soundbar for our living room. A few notes / requirements:
  • Budget is around $1000.
  • We don't listen at very high volumes.
  • We're not fans of heavy bass - definitely don't need to shake the walls or anything like that.
  • Clear dialogue is important.
  • Music playback is roughly 50% of our usage so that's important.
  • CEC and ARC are a must. I don't want a multiple remote setup and universal remotes are not wife friendly (at least not my wife lol)
  • Our living room isn't huge, but it is an open space with the kitchen. Our ceiling is standard height.
  • Chromecast built-in or Google Assistant support is a must since that's mainly how we access music.

Right now I was looking at the Bose Soundbar 700 and the Sony HT-Z9F. Does anyone know how they compare?
Of course other recommendations are welcome
post #1866 of 1880 Old 06-04-2019, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Liberty View Post
Hello!
Another "help me choose" message
I'm looking to purchase a soundbar for our living room. A few notes / requirements:
  • Budget is around $1000.
  • We don't listen at very high volumes.
  • We're not fans of heavy bass - definitely don't need to shake the walls or anything like that.
  • Clear dialogue is important.
  • Music playback is roughly 50% of our usage so that's important.
  • CEC and ARC are a must. I don't want a multiple remote setup and universal remotes are not wife friendly (at least not my wife lol)
  • Our living room isn't huge, but it is an open space with the kitchen. Our ceiling is standard height.
  • Chromecast built-in or Google Assistant support is a must since that's mainly how we access music.

Right now I was looking at the Bose Soundbar 700 and the Sony HT-Z9F. Does anyone know how they compare?
Of course other recommendations are welcome
Check out the Sony HT-ST5000. Excellent for both movies and music. Hits all of your requirements, but budget...$1,298.

If you order through BB with special offer on Sony 4k TV...save $200 on bundle.
post #1867 of 1880 Old 06-07-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Feel like I'm quite lost at the moment, currently have a Samsung HW-K850 and want to upgrade (after I upgrade my TV) the K850 has been quite glitchy in my 2 and half years of using it with regular HDMI switching and wifi signal drops etc. and it's made me very hesitant to go for another Samsung soundbar (so I don't want the HW-Q80r) especially since my room isn't very big and I really can't accommodate rears like on the ones on the HW-Q90r so I want a one piece solution but the upcoming Sennheiser Ambeo is soo expensive...which leaves me with two realistic options either the LG SL10YG or the Sony ST5000, has anyone had experience with one or both of them? and are they 'better' than the K850?
post #1868 of 1880 Old 06-18-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey Guys - My dad is looking for a new soundbar. He currently runs a Sony HT-CT790. His main complaint is that the 790 isn't powerful enough. He want's more OooOoOOoomph... Their viewing room is very spacious with tall ceilings. Any recommendations? Budget is probably $300 or so.

The one feature they really like in the 790 is the bluetooth transmitter, so they can watch with bluetooth headphones if they want. Probably not a deal breaker for the new unit not to have this though.
post #1869 of 1880 Old 06-22-2019, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Soundbar for LG C9

Hoping for help.

In my small vacation home with no AVR, I need a soundbar to go with my newly purchased LG C9, and was thinking about the LG SL8YG hoping for compatibility with the C9. Although I want the sound to be good, anything is better than the TV speakers, and it is critical to me that the LG magic remote will control soundbar power and volume and muting. I also want my external sources (cable box, Blu-ray, maybe Roku depending on how happy I am with the internal TV apps) to go to the TV so that the TV remote controls switching sources (and not the soundbar remote) and connect the soundbar via the TV eARC input and soundbar ARC output (please correct me if I have this wrong, but I thought the ARC HDMI on the LG soundbars is an output and the eARC on the LG C9 is an input, but that this is how one would connect sources to the TV and get sound out via HDMI to the soundbar, presumably because ARC is bidirectional???). Again, please correct me if I am confused.

Since I am not aware of ANY eARC soundbar out there (and even if there was one, would it even be compatible with the LG C9?), I assume that the TV eARC-to-soundbar ARC is the only way to get ATMOS, for example, to the soundbar, even if it compressed, so that is the best I can do at this point. Is that true?

I thought at one point about the Sony 5000 soundbar, and an article from Sony from 10/18 said they were putting eARC on them via firmware update, but no reference to eARC in soundbar specs on their website, and now seeing posts that say that ARC on Sony not compatible with ARC on LG!!!!

Also, in my setup I cannot move my router farther than three feet away from the TV and soundbar. Cannot. I saw a post where it was said that the router had to move farther than three feet away from the LG soundbar to avoid WiFi interference between router and soundbar. That is not possible in my set up. The router must stay close to the TV and soundbar. And the LG soundbars don’t have an Ethernet port. So is this a deal killer with LG soundbars? All soundbars?

I feel like the search for a very simple thing has led me down the rabbit hole. I just wanted a soundbar for better sound than the internal TV speakers, but that would be controlled seamlessly by the TV remote...power, volume, muting, and source switching. And if I was spending the cash, hoping for more expansive sound if possible, like ATMOS or virtual surround, since rear speakers are not possible. But either I am confused, or it is not a simple thing at all.

Help me please!
post #1870 of 1880 Old 06-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This video might help if you cannot decide which Dolby Atmos soundbar to buy.
post #1871 of 1880 Old 06-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is there a better surround sound/dolby atmos soundbar than the Sony ST5000 where I only want a soundbar and sub no rears? Mostly used for tv (60%), movies (25%), video games (10%) and Music (5%)
post #1872 of 1880 Old 06-28-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello All,

I'm new to soundbars and recently had to leave my full surround system due to moving to a smaller apartment. I recently purchased the Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 and audio wise it's great, but the customer support is horrid. I'm having issues with screen flickering and they won't help. So now I'm looking for a new device. Budget is between $6-800 and I love my audio, so I need rears for sure or something that can simulate rears would be fine as well. The room is small to medium sized and the screen is 9-10 feet away. I'm on an LGB7A.
post #1873 of 1880 Old 06-30-2019, 02:00 PM

Question Budget options again? this time scaping the bottom under 180-ish.

Tiresome ain't it to answer same questions over and over... here we go again:
My budget is topping out at 180 usd. per soundbar.

Buying two of them... I have 60" Samsung UN60KS8000 and a 43 eSeries VIZIO.
I got access to SAM's and COSTCO and good old AMAZON.. along with other online stores.

The contenders are:
  • Yamaha ATS-1080 (difference between ATS and YAS models???)
  • Bose Solo
  • VIZIO SB3621N-E8
  • LG - 2.1-Channel 300W Soundbar System with Wireless Subwoofer SK4D from bestbuy
Have I forgotten any obvious contenders and any of these way better than others?
Both TV's are In a smaller room with all carpet. for the samsung one mounting is a challenge will need to mount on top.

Its not really to get a surround sound but for the fact that TV speakers suck.

Last edited by Menthol; 06-30-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: formatting
post #1874 of 1880 Old 07-01-2019, 06:45 AM

Hi, looking for advice on a soundbar for our new home living room. We don't have a ton of $$ to spend since we used most of our savings as the down payment and want to continue to build that back up. Wants are-
1. sleek design and easy to mount
2. $ low as we don't really need the wow factor or a Sub ( for now ) mostly streaming TV and light Pandora type music during dinner
3. no Bluetooth, the aquos we still have has a great picture and has optical out and hdmi
4. ability to connect to possibly a Sonos wireless system 2-3 speakers down the road when $ is more available
5. I'm not opposed to buying used if I can get a better unit vs new price.
Thanks for any advice
Chris
post #1875 of 1880 Old 07-08-2019, 10:21 PM

Throughout reading all the forums and watching youtube, seems like Naka shockwafe 9.2 is the choice.
I have a bit of problem with that.
1. Our country does not have a proper distro
2. My living room is extended to the dining hence, I don't have 2 side walls. Looking at the setup of 2 subs with power cables, I will need to have wires running through walking area.

Just wondering, is there a good way to set it up or a similar quality soundbar that I can have atmos with minimal setup? May be a full wireless surround speakers and subs?
post #1876 of 1880 Old 07-08-2019, 10:47 PM

Hello everyone, first post here.

So I'm looking for budget Samsung soundbar for my Samsung TV. So far I'm looking at these but not sure which one to pick (my budget is around 250-300€ max.

Samsung HW-N550
Samsung HW-R450
Samsung HW-R550

Should I go for 3.1 with N550 or newer models?
post #1877 of 1880 Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Can anyone recommend a soundbar for a bedroom? I don't want anything too crazy but definitely more powerful than the awful TV speakers. I'm about 15' way from the TV. I was looking at the ones on sale for Prime Day.
post #1878 of 1880 Old 07-21-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hey all

Need some advice. I live in a small 1bedroom open plan apartment. Due to the set-up, a full HT system can't be accommodated and a pair of bookshelf speakers would be a struggle. So a soundbar it is, which pleases the other half.
We have an xbox onex, as well as a Sony A8f OLED, which the stand sits flush with my TV unit. I am able to use a small platform to raise it a little or put directly on top of playbase.

The list at the moment:
- *Sonos Playbar
- Playbase
- Beam
*All 3 I would pair with the Sub
- Samsung Q90
- Yamaha ysp2700

Have done a bit of a research online and demoed the Playbase (standalone) and Beam (with sub) briefly in store. My brother has the Playbar and Sub so am familiar with that, moreso with music playback, don't mind the Sonos house sound (for music).

Am yet to demo the Samsung q90 and Yamaha ysp2700, but I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of their performance from what I've read.

It will be used for a mixture of movies, TV, music and minimal gaming. For movies we just stream content, I don't possess any bluray discs etc.
Music we generally stream via Spotify connect, which all of the above sound-bars are compatible with.

My main concern with the Sonos is lip sync, is this really a common issue or is it over exaggerated? And with the Playbase specifically, I felt the treble was a little harsh, has this somehow been rectified with a software update or is it solved after using True Play.

The Sonos sub is damn good and goes as low as 25hz as many would know. How would the Samsung and Yamaha alternatives compare? The q90 sub looks rather 'cheap and nasty' in comparison and going by specs doesn't go as low.

Price wise I'm able to get all for a similar price. Except for the Beam/Sub combo which works out a little cheaper.

Any guidance in which way to go is much appreciated. Really don't know which way to go. Have the q90 on order but can cancel it. Or any other suggestions around $1000aud?

Also posted else where where for more reach.

Cheers

Last edited by >500; 07-21-2019 at 07:29 PM.
post #1879 of 1880 Old 07-31-2019, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Howdy folks!

Long time member, first time poster (regarding HT). I'm an incessant researcher and this Forum is the wonderland of information, so thank you! But, it also paralyzes me with indecision! So, i would greatly appreciate some assistance with my selection of an HT system for my new house.

Previously owned a 50" Pioneer 720p Plasma. Just upgraded to the 65" LG C8. Now, i just need the sound to match.
Previously had a small Polk 5.1 setup with an Onkyo receiver and Polk 10" Sub. Wasn't the best, so we ended up using TV Speakers mostly.

Primary viewing material. TV & Netflix. Some gaming (PS4)

Moved to a new house (Living Room diagram attached..rough sketch of furniture/TV placement. TV mounted on wall). Don't want to be drilling holes in the floors or running cables. Also don't want to deal with an AVR. Here is a list of things i want from a sound system:

5.1 or 7.1
Soundbar preferred
Separate Sub
Separate Surrounds (rears not necessary)
ARC support with LG
Able to turn surround off if too much at night
Between $500-$800

After all of my research i purchased the Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X version. I was 100% confident this was the system for me until i saw the size of the rears were 5" x 8". Those are pretty beefy and not sure where i would even place those with my Living Room Configuration? Well, it's on it's way and will arrive Monday, so i have until then to decide to deny the shipment.

I've looked at the following options:

SONOS - Like the idea, but additional Sub+Surrounds = twice what i want to pay. Also hear of bad sync issues with movies. Can't be havin that.
Vizio 36" or 46" 5.1.4 - Thought this was the one. But was really scared off by all the reviews/issues people seem to have. Maybe i'm just paranoid.
LG SK9Y or SL9YG - I like that it's LG so it should marry well with the TV, but you have to add the rear speaker kit to get 7.1. Honestly, rears are not the issue, but i would like discrete surrounds and not rely on the soundbar to mimic that. Maybe i should just go this route and skip the rears?

Of course i've looked at Samsung (too much $), JBL (meh on those surrounds), and others but those are the 4 competitors. Maybe the Naka will be good and just not put up the rears?

Anyway, thanks for the help! So very much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living Room.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	2596870  
post #1880 of 1880 Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 PM

Hello all, I am new to the community. Hopefully your advice can guide me in the right direction. Here are the facts.

- I am SUPER DUPER happy with the way my current system sounds
- Yamaha Receiver
- 10" subwoofer
- Eosone tower speakers
- Eosone center channel
- Ceiling mounted rear surrounds
- Movies sound amazing
- Here is my dilemma, my wife doesn't like the way the tower speakers look (and I have to agree, tower speakers are a bit outdated)
- I have Sonos speakers in the bedrooms, patio and dining room and they sound good
- To replace my existing Yamaha receiver, subwoofer and eosone speakers, i am looking at $2000 (playbar to replace L&R and center, subwoofer and amp to power the ceiling surrounds)
- I don't think that spending $2000 in new equipment will improve the sound quality, only improve the aesthetics of the room
- I have considered flush mounted wall speakers but the wall is an exterior wall and there is very little room between the sheetrock and the block wall

Questions
- Is there a high quality sound bar that I can use with my Yamaha amp to just replace my LR and center speakers?
- Can LR and Center speakers be ceiling mounted?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
sound bar system

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page