Vizio's New True 5.1 Soundbar S4251W - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #331 of 1074 Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post

dwold12,

I just got the same Vizio TV this weekend and have ordered the same soundbar today. I hope to have it in a few days. Right now BB has a special for the sound bar and they throw in speaker stands. Currently I'm using an older Sony Soundbar because it has HDMI connections and internal switching, my old TV only had one HDMI in.

Anyway, I found this thread in hopes in finding out the best settings to use on the TV with the new Vizio sound bar (more on that later)

For your problem there may be a firmware fix update, if you go here:

http://store.vizio.com/s4251wb4.html

Down the page they show the fix and describe it this way:
I'm not exactly sure if this is your issue but I thought it worth mentioning.

I also saw in the user manuals that you need to set the Vizio TV speakers to "Off" in order to get DTS through to the output be it HDMI or Optical.

It sound like the best way to have the setup is to put the speakers on the TV to off and fixed volume, digital out to Bitstream and hook the optical out on the TV to the Soundbar. This is more of a question than a statement though.

FYI the usermanual for the Vizio TV is here:

http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/E701iA3/UM_E701iA3.pdf (60 & 70" uses the same manual)

and the sound bar is here:

http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/accessories/S4251W-B4/QSG_S4251WB4.pdf

When I get my soundbar I wonder if the new firmware will be in it or not? I hate to flash things unless I need to.

Happy New Year everyone.

~peat

Hey Peat,

Thanks for all that info by the time I saw this I had already exchanged the sound bar for a new one thinking it might be the problem but I did follow your steps and also checked out the manual by setting the TV speakers to off and only if the TV is set to PCM I still get a popping sound when I change channels or when on a channel showing fast clips like ESPN, I did then switch it over to Dolby Digital and everything is fine no popping sound which I don't understand because it's still using the same optical connection (I have tried 3 different toslink cables as well all with the same results).  Also with the firmware looking at the firmware upgrade guide http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/accessories/S4251W-B4/s4251wb4-firmware-update-guide.pdf it shows you how to check if you have the most current FW based on a sequence of lights which mine does (both actually) if you wanted to check yourself.  I appreciate the links though as that's where I found the firmware upgrade guide to check out.

Thanks,

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1074 Old 01-03-2014, 12:04 PM

Would that Dolby Digital indicator light come on if my TV was passing simulated 5.1 instead of true 5.1?  It sounds like true surround sound to me, but I've never had such a system before so I have nothing to compare it to.  I have my Comcast X1 box connected to my TV through HDMI, and the soundbar is connected to the TV via optical.   The indicator light comes on every time I change channels, which I take to be a good sign.

post #333 of 1074 Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
David,

Thanks for the info on checking the firmware version, I will look into that as soon as I get my soundbar. It's slated to arrive next Tuesday.

I'll let you know if I have the same issues with the sound.

Peat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 1074 Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope this is okay to post but BB still has the package deal going on 299, free shipping, for both the S4251S Sound bar and a set of Sanus - HTB3b Speaker Stands. I thought it was not a bad deal
post #335 of 1074 Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys I'm new to the forum here and was interested in this soundbar. I noticed a lot of user questions on if their tv can pass 5.1 via optical out and I wanted to post a link where cnet tested this and made a list of which TVs can and can't pass 5.1 via optical.
http://m.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/57615451 Hope this helps.
Peaty, wekya and Jeffrey J Nelson like this.
post #336 of 1074 Old 01-05-2014, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki master View Post

Hey guys I'm new to the forum here and was interested in this soundbar. I noticed a lot of user questions on if their tv can pass 5.1 via optical out and I wanted to post a link where cnet tested this and made a list of which TVs can and can't pass 5.1 via optical.
http://m.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/57615451 Hope this helps.

List isn't entirely accurate as my LG tv passes DD and DTS.
post #337 of 1074 Old 01-05-2014, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've been reading through this thread on my phone so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but there is a relativity painless method that I use to insure 5.1 input. Bypass the TV. Simply plug all sources into an HDMI switch, and plug the one output HDMI from the switch into a HDMI video / TOSlink audio splitter. From there TOSlink to the soundbar and HDMI to the TV.
post #338 of 1074 Old 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am trying to decide between this and the 2.1 Vizio 42 inch sound bar. I keep reading a lot of complaints that the volume increments are too large, making it hard to get the volume where you want it. Is this as bad as what some are claiming? Does the 2.1 suffer from the same issue?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #339 of 1074 Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2099 View Post

I am trying to decide between this and the 2.1 Vizio 42 inch sound bar. I keep reading a lot of complaints that the volume increments are too large, making it hard to get the volume where you want it. Is this as bad as what some are claiming? Does the 2.1 suffer from the same issue?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

From like 2 to 3 or 3 to 4. Forgot which one it is, but it's the largest volume jump.Goes from barely can hear to really loud, when watching it at night and I want to keep the tv volume down.

just deal with it. There's nothing I can do about it, hopefully it can get fixed in a future firmware update.
post #340 of 1074 Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post

List isn't entirely accurate as my LG tv passes DD and DTS.
Is the LG tv model you have listed on the chart?
post #341 of 1074 Old 01-06-2014, 04:25 AM

Hello Everyone - I'm new here. I own the S4251W which I bought at the Black Friday sales. It works perfect except for one issue and I'd like to know if anyone has encountered this issue with the Sound Bar.

Every time I turn off and turn the soundbar back on, the Subwoofer plays it at its highest level. I have to go in and 'touch' (increase and decrease for example) the Sub level to bring it back to the setting it's supposed to be in. The display on the Soundbar shows the correct level I had set it in, but the sound coming out from the sub is actually at the highest level.

I spoke to Vizio and they're gonna send me a replacement. Just wanted to let you guys know and also see if anyone had this issue with their soundbar. Thanks.

Junot Foradada likes this.
post #342 of 1074 Old 01-06-2014, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki master View Post

Is the LG tv model you have listed on the chart?
No, I have the 55GA7900
post #343 of 1074 Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:

No, I have the 55GA7900
I think they were just testing specific 2013 models. They stated that other models in a brand from other years can have different audio outputs.
post #344 of 1074 Old 01-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Liked: 13
Finally, 54" 5.1 soundbar is official: http://reviews.cnet.com/home-entertainment/vizio-s5451w-c2/4505-6449_7-35833918.html

I wonder when they go on sale.
post #345 of 1074 Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Thanks bowlopho.  I may just go with the Sony htct260, since the reviews seem to be very similar for these two, but I don't hear about any volume-related issues for the Sony.

post #346 of 1074 Old 01-06-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks bowlopho.  I may just go with the Sony htct260, since the reviews seem to be very similar for these two, but I don't hear about any volume-related issues for the Sony.

htct260h is the updated version with HDMI connection.

The reviews are similiar but the sony is 2.1 while the vizio is 5.1
post #347 of 1074 Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 PM

Oops!  I forgot the h on the end.  The new model is actually on Amazon for cheaper than I can find the old model, at $199.  I'm not real concerned about the rear speakers.  I just want something that will give me a little better audio than the stock speakers.  I really wanted the Vizio more for it having a center channel than for the surround, but I don't think that I can handle hearing, "You have it up too loud!" incessantly.  Thanks again for the reply.

post #348 of 1074 Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oops!  I forgot the h on the end.  The new model is actually on Amazon for cheaper than I can find the old model, at $199.  I'm not real concerned about the rear speakers.  I just want something that will give me a little better audio than the stock speakers.  I really wanted the Vizio more for it having a center channel than for the surround, but I don't think that I can handle hearing, "You have it up too loud!" incessantly.  Thanks again for the reply.

Try the Vizio....I don't have any complaints with the volume of mine. The Vizio also sounds a lot better then the Sony.
post #349 of 1074 Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Those of you with this sound bar do u leave Truvolume on or turn it off?

Also anybody have issues with any movies with "5.1" on Netflix? A couple of the older movies that listed having 5.1 seem to skew the sound odd and more to one channel then the other. Most of the movies sound fine on Netflix with surround but I've ran onto 2 movies that didn't sound right(Event Horizon was one).
post #350 of 1074 Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a question about the 5.1 downmix issues with respect to the new S5451 that was just announced at CES. Since the S5451 now has HDMI input/output, does this solve the problem of TV's downmixing 5.1 to 2 channel if you want to connect the sound bar directly to your TV? Or would you still need to connect the Vizio directly to your devices, get a switcher, etc?
post #351 of 1074 Old 01-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iocol View Post

I have a question about the 5.1 downmix issues with respect to the new S5451 that was just announced at CES. Since the S5451 now has HDMI input/output, does this solve the problem of TV's downmixing 5.1 to 2 channel if you want to connect the sound bar directly to your TV? Or would you still need to connect the Vizio directly to your devices, get a switcher, etc?
All depends on your TV. Most newer/higher end TVs output 5.1 through both the optical and the HDMI.
post #352 of 1074 Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:

All depends on your TV. Most newer/higher end TVs output 5.1 through both the optical and the HDMI.

So if I have an older TV (in my case, Panasonic 58 S1), it depends on whether it downmixes through the HDMI, correct? Because I know that it does convert to 2 channel through the optical...

EDIT:

Found this on another forum:

The Panasonic TV’s are only able to supply multichannel audio from the optical connection when supplied by the TV broadcasters. The TV’s are stereo and any multichannel audio supplied through the HDMI are converted to stereo for the TV speaker and only the Stereo audio is supplied through the optical output.

So it looks like either way I'm going to need a switcher... frown.gif
post #353 of 1074 Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iocol View Post

So if I have an older TV (in my case, Panasonic 58 S1), it depends on whether it downmixes through the HDMI, correct? Because I know that it does convert to 2 channel through the optical...
Most TVs pass 5.1 through the HDMI so u should be fine.
post #354 of 1074 Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 AM

I am not super tech savy and am trying to set up nice sound for my new Panasonic VT60. So I bought the Vizio 5.1 S4251W Soundbar and hooked it up. It sounds nice, better than my TV, but I am confused about a few things and am hoping some of you can help guide a newbie like me.

1. The small satellite speakers... most of the time I dont hear much coming from them. Very very quite, it doesnt feel like "surround sound". There is an option on the remote to + Surround and if I crank that up then it sounds more like surround sound, but still kind of odd.

2. I know that many say you dont get "true 5.1" if your device is not hooked up directly to the sound bar. All I care about is getting the best sound possible out of my Blu-Ray player. I currenlty have the soundbar hooked up to my TV via the optical cable that came with it. Then everything, cable box, blu-ray player and apple tv is plugged directly into my VT60.

I assume this means I am not getting the best sound out of my blu-ray player? what is the best way to resolve this issue? I am ok with not having 5.1 when watching cable and stuff, but when watching blu-rays I want the best sound I can get. Will I have to manually plug/unplug the optical cable from the tv each time I watch a blu-ray, and plug it into the blu-ray player? I am not sure if I am understanding it correctly.

3. What are the best settings for the soundbar? Any reccomendations? What should I set treble, bass, surround, etc to? I've played around with it, a + here, a - there... but I don't know. I am sure there are ideal settings for best sound?

thanks all!

post #355 of 1074 Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogpab View Post

I am not super tech savy and am trying to set up nice sound for my new Panasonic VT60. So I bought the Vizio 5.1 S4251W Soundbar and hooked it up. It sounds nice, better than my TV, but I am confused about a few things and am hoping some of you can help guide a newbie like me.

1. The small satellite speakers... most of the time I dont hear much coming from them. Very very quite, it doesnt feel like "surround sound". There is an option on the remote to + Surround and if I crank that up then it sounds more like surround sound, but still kind of odd.

2. I know that many say you dont get "true 5.1" if your device is not hooked up directly to the sound bar. All I care about is getting the best sound possible out of my Blu-Ray player. I currenlty have the soundbar hooked up to my TV via the optical cable that came with it. Then everything, cable box, blu-ray player and apple tv is plugged directly into my VT60.

I assume this means I am not getting the best sound out of my blu-ray player? what is the best way to resolve this issue? I am ok with not having 5.1 when watching cable and stuff, but when watching blu-rays I want the best sound I can get. Will I have to manually plug/unplug the optical cable from the tv each time I watch a blu-ray, and plug it into the blu-ray player? I am not sure if I am understanding it correctly.

3. What are the best settings for the soundbar? Any reccomendations? What should I set treble, bass, surround, etc to? I've played around with it, a + here, a - there... but I don't know. I am sure there are ideal settings for best sound?

thanks all!

You will only hear sound from your rear when the director has intended for you hear rear / background noise. Cars/trains passing by, forest noise, crowds cheering, etc. I was thinking the same thing when I first got the 5.1 system. The more TVs shows and movies I started watching, the more I start noticing the little things that come from the rear speakers.

Quote:
The small satellite speakers... most of the time I dont hear much coming from them. Very very quite, it doesnt feel like "surround sound".
I am a bit confused by this statement. It sounds like most of the time it's quiet. This can be true because the content you are watching does not have a lot of rear noise. When you actually hear stuff from your rear speakers, is it clear and loud? or is it very very quiet?

Have you tried watching action movies? Those normally have the best 5.1 environments. I haven't seen Avatar with this yet, but I would assume that you will get a good 5.1 environment since it's based in a forest environment.

During Sports, I only hear crowd clapping and random cheers/noises.
post #356 of 1074 Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 AM

Hi Guys, I just purchased this unit yesterday to go with my 55" M-Series.  Has anyone else mounted the bar ABOVE the TV?  I debated back and forth but wanted to the most room filling audio.  I can always move it below and hang a wide picture above the TV I suppose lol.

It sounds good but now I am wondering if I am missing anything by not mounting below.  

post #357 of 1074 Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogpab View Post

I know that many say you dont get "true 5.1" if your device is not hooked up directly to the sound bar. All I care about is getting the best sound possible out of my Blu-Ray player. I currenlty have the soundbar hooked up to my TV via the optical cable that came with it. Then everything, cable box, blu-ray player and apple tv is plugged directly into my VT60.

You'll need to directly connect your blu-rays optical out line to the soundbar. Because the soundbar has only one optical-in port, you'll most likely need to buy an optical splitter so that you can have two optical lines (one from your TV and one from your Blue-ray) connected the soundbar.

The easiest way to confirm that you have the "best" possible sound from your blu-ray player is the "Dolby Digital" light will turn one the sound bar for two seconds at the very beginning of recieving the audio signal from the blue-ray player.

I would know this since I also have a Panasonic TV model from the same year as yours and unfortunately there is no true digital sound pass-through supported by our TV with this soundbar.
post #358 of 1074 Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 AM

post #359 of 1074 Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzieap View Post

You'll need to directly connect your blu-rays optical out line to the soundbar. Because the soundbar has only one optical-in port, you'll most likely need to buy an optical splitter so that you can have two optical lines (one from your TV and one from your Blue-ray) connected the soundbar.

The easiest way to confirm that you have the "best" possible sound from your blu-ray player is the "Dolby Digital" light will turn one the sound bar for two seconds at the very beginning of recieving the audio signal from the blue-ray player.

I would know this since I also have a Panasonic TV model from the same year as yours and unfortunately there is no true digital sound pass-through supported by our TV with this soundbar.

the back of my blu-ray player has two connections: an HDMI port and a DIGITAL OUT Dolby Digital Coaxial connection that is colored "orange".

Is that how I connect the blu-ray player to the Vizio sound bar? The back of the sound bar has a connection titles "DIGITAL [3]" and it came with an additional cable that has an orange ring around it. 

It seems like this would be so easy and idiot proof, and yet I want to make sure I'm doing it all right. I can't connect the "optical" cable to my blu-ray player as i don't see a connection for it. but there is that dolby digital port, just want to make sure i connect it to the "digital [3]" port on the Vizio. 

also, another dumb question... where is the dolby digital light? lol. 

never mind! figured it out. plugged the "digital" cable into the "digital [3] port and saw the "dts" logo light up! awesome. wish it stayed lit up longer

post #360 of 1074 Old 01-11-2014, 02:04 AM

Needing some help. Just picked one of these up.

Have a direct tv system that wast put in last year with the genie and mini genie receivers. I have put the soundbar in my bedroom. I first hooked it up to my Panasonic TC-P50ST30 plasma via optical. I have HDMI cables running from the mini genie and blu ray player to the TV. It sounded great but then I read the TV does not pass through 5.1 via optical so I wanted to hook the soundbar directly to the sources.

When hooking the soundbar to the genie mini receiver via by the digital coax cable, the soundbar makes a very loud pop and chirp sound when I change the channel from a non HD to a HD channel. It only does this with Dolby Digital turned to ON, on the genie mini. It makes the sound and Dolby Digital does light up on the soundbar, but then I lose sound from the sub and rear speakers. I have updated the soundbar to the latest firmware also. I tried it on 2 different mini genies we have. If i turn dolby digital to OFF on the genie mini, it still sounds good and the sub and rears work, but I feel like its not working as intended.

I purchased at Sam's and we already let the trash take the box because I thought it was fine, after just having the optical connected to the TV. Only had it a week.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I've tried 2 different digital coax cables too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio S4251w B4 5 1 Soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page