Soundbar advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am looking to hook up some kind of Home Audio system to my Panasonic HDTV in my family room. I am familiar with sound bars as I put one in my basement and we love it. We would love to put another sound bar in my family room but the tv is on a stand where as the tv in the basement is wall mounted as well as the sound bar. My concern is that if I put a sound bar in front of my tv that it will block the IR remote sensor for the TV. 

I have read that some sound bars have IR repeaters/extenders built into them, but I am having a hard time finding these bars and I haven't found grate evidence that they actually work well. Has anyone had great luck with the IR repeaters/extenders? Either built in or external?

Any other Home Theater systems suggested other then a sound bar? I am not looking to install a full 5.1 home theater system but I would consider some table top speakers up front next to the tv.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 272
^^^ I am inquiring as to the same thing in the rear projection forum for my 61" Samsung LED DLP, as I don't know where the IR sensor is located, and would finally like to get a decent sound bar to put on the stand right in front of the bottom of the TV.

Mom in law is living with us and I have captions turned on for DirecTV but I just installed a Roku 3 streaming player and while the caption option is turned on, haven't seen any movies yet on Amazon Prime streamed with any captioning content.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Several sound bars from Yamaha have IR repeaters. However, cheap and simple solution is to look at one of the super slim soundbars from Panasonic, maybe others, that will not block the IR receiver for most TV's. HTB70 is probably the easiest to mount and use. Amazon has one for $200 which seems kind of high.

My personal recommendation would be a thin soundbar over repeaters.

David Freeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Sonos Playbar has a IR repeater.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars