Official Harman Kardon SB26 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 63 Old 01-02-2016, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can Plug your 3rd source into one of the TV HDMI inputs like you said. Then when you switch the TV to that input, select HDMI TV on the SB26's remote. That will route the audio out of the TV's ARC connection to the soundbar. You do not have to use the optical output at all. You will not be able to see the on screen display when using the 3rd source with the ARC connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 01-02-2016, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post
You can Plug your 3rd source into one of the TV HDMI inputs like you said. Then when you switch the TV to that input, select HDMI TV on the SB26's remote. That will route the audio out of the TV's ARC connection to the soundbar. You do not have to use the optical output at all. You will not be able to see the on screen display when using the 3rd source with the ARC connection.
Thanks. Good call. That's exactly what I did. Put my PS4 into the TV and using the ARC HDMI to the SB. I just give up the convenience of seeing the volume level. I programmed everything on my Logitech and it all works fine. I do find that the remote has to be pointed at a very specific place for it to work. While this SB and sub sound good, not a lot of features and I'm considering finding one with wireless rears.
post #33 of 63 Old 01-03-2016, 07:47 AM

Yes, I agree with you. The soundbar sounds OK but you can't adjust much except the base level. The main thing that I wish it had is tone controls. Sometimes I really wish that I could turn up the treble. I thought about returning it too, but I ended up keeping it because I got a really good deal on an open box unit at Best Buy ($250).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 63 Old 01-04-2016, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Switched to Sony HT-RT5

So I ended up returning the HK SB26 and picked up a Sony HT-RT5 from Costco for $400. It sounds pretty good, basically on par with the SB26, but there are a couple of big differences. 1. It has a great remote and much more features (Wi-Fi and App are good) 2. It comes with wireless rears 3. It has more HDMI inputs 4. It actually works with my TV's ARC connection the way it should 5. I like that it has an integrated front display on the soundbar. Very happy with my switch.
post #35 of 63 Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Question about the sound management and OSD of the SB26.

I am running RasPlex on a Raspberry Pi into one of the HDMI inputs on the SB26. Rasplex normally makes a "click"sound whenever menu items are navigated or selected.

However, the SB26 interprets the silence between any clicks as "no sound" and whenever I press a button on the remote to navigate the menus, SB26 recognizes the menu click sound as a brand new soundsource and the OSD shows "PCM".

So basically whenever I navigate the menus I just see "PCM" on my TV screen the entire time. It is annoying and obscures part of the menus.
Is there a way to turn off the OSD or suppress these indicators?

(if not I'll probably have to use the aux input for sound)
post #36 of 63 Old 05-01-2016, 12:39 PM

If your TV has an ARC HDMI input, you can hook the RasOlex/Raspberry Pi HDMI output to the TV (HDMI input other than ARC), and use the ARC on the TV to send the audio back to the SB26. (Connect the ARC channel of your TV to the HDMI TV output on the SB26.). That will eliminate the PCM from popping up on your TV, and it might fix the click problem too.

Otherwise, if you can't use the optical input, you are stuck with the aux input.
post #37 of 63 Old 05-02-2016, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
If your TV has an ARC HDMI input, you can hook the RasOlex/Raspberry Pi HDMI output to the TV (HDMI input other than ARC), and use the ARC on the TV to send the audio back to the SB26. (Connect the ARC channel of your TV to the HDMI TV output on the SB26.). That will eliminate the PCM from popping up on your TV, and it might fix the click problem too.

Otherwise, if you can't use the optical input, you are stuck with the aux input.
Thanks. Looks like you're right.

Just to be clear the clicking sound is actually the intended sound, the RasPlex interface acknowledges button presses with a short audio click. Right now that click is causing the PCM popup. Incidentally I also do not hear the click because the SB26 seems to have a short fade-in period whenever a new sound-source starts.

(So you may miss the first second of a song played through the bar, as a sidenote, which is also kind of annoying).

It really would have been great if the SB26 had a setting to "stick" to a soundsource during/after a period of silence.

Anyway my TV is kind of old so I will have to re-route my two HDMI sources to the TV rather than the SB26 and then use the analog AUX in. Pity that.
post #38 of 63 Old 06-23-2016, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Go for SB 26 for its sound quality!

Just bought this one last night and the sound this guy can produce is very clear. Bass is just exceptional that it shakes my walls and windows without going too high!

Yes it doesn't have fancy features like wifi, multi-room playback and different sound modes, but Virtual mode is pretty good already. I will give it some time to break in speakers, but I am sure it's just going to get even better. I have open lounge (combined lounge, dining and kitchen) and this sound bar just fills the room perfectly. You'd obviously not get true 5.1 as you'd from proper 5.1 system, but coming from old 5.1 system, I don't feel that I am missing too much here.

Regarding lacking wifi, I already have NAS which I can potentially use to stream music via another device connected to SB 26. So wifi wasn't quite on my priority list when purchasing soundbar.

But if you're in the market for a sound bar that really sounds well, I'd recommend checking this one out.
post #39 of 63 Old 07-04-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer18 View Post
Just bought this one last night and the sound this guy can produce is very clear. Bass is just exceptional that it shakes my walls and windows without going too high!

Yes it doesn't have fancy features like wifi, multi-room playback and different sound modes, but Virtual mode is pretty good already. I will give it some time to break in speakers, but I am sure it's just going to get even better. I have open lounge (combined lounge, dining and kitchen) and this sound bar just fills the room perfectly. You'd obviously not get true 5.1 as you'd from proper 5.1 system, but coming from old 5.1 system, I don't feel that I am missing too much here.

Regarding lacking wifi, I already have NAS which I can potentially use to stream music via another device connected to SB 26. So wifi wasn't quite on my priority list when purchasing soundbar.

But if you're in the market for a sound bar that really sounds well, I'd recommend checking this one out.
I heard the SB30 and wasn't impressed... when compared to the JBL SB400 I prefer the latter.
post #40 of 63 Old 07-06-2016, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tabone View Post
I heard the SB30 and wasn't impressed... when compared to the JBL SB400 I prefer the latter.

I listened to jbl sb400 in nearby bestbuy store and liked it.

Between
Yamaha-yas-203
Hk sb-26
Jbl -400
Yamaha ats-1050 + sub

Any suggestions?
post #41 of 63 Old 07-14-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvaspk View Post
I listened to jbl sb400 in nearby bestbuy store and liked it.

Between
Yamaha-yas-203
Hk sb-26
Jbl -400
Yamaha ats-1050 + sub

Any suggestions?

Yamaha-yas-203 - Dolby Digital, No HDMI, no wifi.
Hk sb-26 - Dolby Digital, 2 normal HDMI + 1 ARC HDMI, No wifi
Jbl -400 - Pretty much like HK SB26 with one extra HDMI port.
Yamaha ats-1050 + sub - Very basic system, no Dolby Digital support, No HDMI, no wifi

I'd suggest you compare HK SB 26, JBL SB400 and Yamaha YSP 1600 with subwoofer and check out what they have to offer in terms of both sound and technologies and obviously compare the prices too. I personally had the Sound quality at the top of my requirements and to me HK SB 26 was the one to go for, especially for its smooth but powerful bass.
post #42 of 63 Old 07-18-2016, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi to Everyone!

Does anybody knows that the SB26 knows the DTS-HD-MA ant the TRUE HD?

Thx
post #43 of 63 Old 11-12-2016, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SB 26 sound going in and out when watching movie

recently, my SB 26 which is connected to my LG smart TV the sound goes in and out and frequently will stop in the middle of watching a stremeo and Netflix movie. does anyone know how to fix this?
thanks in advance
post #44 of 63 Old 11-15-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoman View Post
recently, my SB 26 which is connected to my LG smart TV the sound goes in and out and frequently will stop in the middle of watching a stremeo and Netflix movie. does anyone know how to fix this?
thanks in advance
When I first bought my SB26, I had my Dish satellite receiver HDMI output connected to the SB26, and the SB26 output to my TV. When it was connected like that, the sound would regularly cut out when ever I used the satellite receiver's 30 sec skip ahead function. When I pressed the 30 sec skip ahead button, the sound would cut out just like you described. Sometimes it would cut in and out, but usually I had to either turn the SB26 off and on, or I had to switch the SB26 to a different input, and then switch back again to get the sound to come back on.

No other piece of equipment that I have has this problem with the sound, so I concluded that the SB26 has a sync problem with the sound (I have read many other people that experienced the same problem with the SB26).

I ended up connecting my satellite receiver's HDMI output directly to the TV, and used the TV's ARC output to send the signal to the SB26. That fixed the problem with the sound cutting out. If your TV has an ARC input, I would suggest that you try connecting it that way. It will most likely fix your sound drop out problem. You will lose the on-screen display, but you really don't need it.

The other thing that you have to consider is whether or not your TV outputs Dolby digital, etc when using the ARC connection. Some TVs convert the digital sound and only output PCM. Even if your TV does that, the difference in sound may not matter that much to you, or may not even be audible, and it might be worth it to not have the sound cut out.

Last edited by Scandy; 11-15-2016 at 10:03 AM.
post #45 of 63 Old 11-16-2016, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
When I first bought my SB26, I had my Dish satellite receiver HDMI output connected to the SB26, and the SB26 output to my TV. When it was connected like that, the sound would regularly cut out when ever I used the satellite receiver's 30 sec skip ahead function. When I pressed the 30 sec skip ahead button, the sound would cut out just like you described. Sometimes it would cut in and out, but usually I had to either turn the SB26 off and on, or I had to switch the SB26 to a different input, and then switch back again to get the sound to come back on.

No other piece of equipment that I have has this problem with the sound, so I concluded that the SB26 has a sync problem with the sound (I have read many other people that experienced the same problem with the SB26).

I ended up connecting my satellite receiver's HDMI output directly to the TV, and used the TV's ARC output to send the signal to the SB26. That fixed the problem with the sound cutting out. If your TV has an ARC input, I would suggest that you try connecting it that way. It will most likely fix your sound drop out problem. You will lose the on-screen display, but you really don't need it.

The other thing that you have to consider is whether or not your TV outputs Dolby digital, etc when using the ARC connection. Some TVs convert the digital sound and only output PCM. Even if your TV does that, the difference in sound may not matter that much to you, or may not even be audible, and it might be worth it to not have the sound cut out.
thank you!
post #46 of 63 Old 01-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Hey, When I connect my video device through the SB26(HDMI1) to the ARC in my TV, I get a little delay of the video. I really want the On-Screen function but it's not worth it :/
What can I do?
post #47 of 63 Old 06-05-2017, 12:42 PM

My subwoofer on my sb26 turns off for half a second once maybe two times a minute... It's not hot or out of power. No Bluetooth devices are nearby to disturb.
Any tips?
post #48 of 63 Old 06-06-2017, 10:04 AM

SB26 with Philips 55pft6550

I can't get the volume control from the Philips remote to interact with the SB26 over HDMI arc. I have connected a HDMI from SB26 HDMI TV to HDMI4 on the TV whih is a ARC/MHL HDMI. I have activared "EasyLink on the TV and it starts up the SB26 when powering the TV but the volume on the SB 26 will not react on the TV remote... Any ideas?
post #49 of 63 Old 06-06-2017, 03:46 PM

The SB26 has a learning mode that will learn your TV remote's power, mute, volume up and volume down commands. It is supposed to work automatically with ARC, but with my Panasonic Plasma TV, I had to use the SB26 learning mode to teach it my TV remote commands. It tells you how in the product manual.
post #50 of 63 Old 06-06-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Bové View Post
My subwoofer on my sb26 turns off for half a second once maybe two times a minute... It's not hot or out of power. No Bluetooth devices are nearby to disturb.
Any tips?
Mine has never done that. Maybe you are getting interference? Try moving the Sub to a different location. Try re-pairing the Sub to the soundbar.
post #51 of 63 Old 07-15-2017, 03:10 AM

Hi,
My SB26 suddenly stopped pairing to any devices after one year of using. I tried to reset the settings: reset my SB26 to factory settings by pressing "surround" and "volume -" buttons simultaneously in standby mode and also to forget SB26 from the bluetooth source devices - and it didn't help .
I've checked firmware version and it's up to date (25).
Please advice how to fix it,

Thanks!
post #52 of 63 Old 08-03-2017, 06:09 PM

Guys, im planning to buy this soundbar... is real that bluetooth cant be turned off ? Thanks in advance!
post #53 of 63 Old 08-04-2017, 08:03 AM

Bluetooth works as it does for many other devices. In order to pair a Bluetooth device to the SB26, you have to press the Bluetooth button on the SB26. The Bluetooth LED will flash. While it is flashing you can pair a Bluetooth device to the SB26. Once it is paired, you can re-connect to the SB26 without having to press the Bluetooth button on the SB26.

Not sure of that answered your question.
post #54 of 63 Old 11-02-2017, 08:58 AM

Liked: 10
Hello,

My setup is as follows:
  • Harman/Kardon SB26 Soundbar
  • Optoma GT1080 3D DLP Gaming Projector
  • Amazon FireStick
I have the FireStick connected directly to the HDMI 1 port on the soundbar and then an HDMI cable going from the HDMI TV port on the soundbar to the HDMI 1 input on the projector.

I have used this setup flawless and every once in a while for some reason it seemed I couldn’t get the soundbar or firestick to come out of stand by when starting up the projector for the first time. I would unplug and replug things back in and push remote buttons and eventually it would work. I could turn it off and on after that just fine but if I let it sit for a few hours/days I would be right back to the same place where cold startups wouldn’t work. It just shows the projector menus on the wall but no overlay on the screen for the FireStick nor for the soundbar.

Now I seem to be perpetually stuck with this and can’t get it back on and running. I tried bypassing the soundbar and putting the firestick just into the projector and it works fine which tells me the firestick is fine. When I stream from my phone via Bluetooth the soundbar works just fine too. Any ideas on what the problem or even better what the solution may be?

Thanks in advance.
post #55 of 63 Old 12-26-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Bové View Post
Any tips?
Had the very same yesterday: the subwoofer disconnects for less than 1/2 second 2-3 times per minute (the blue led goes off then on while loosing the audio).

It was enough powering-off the subwoofer and then re-plug the power cord to get back a fully stable connection between the bar and the subwoofer

Giorgio
post #56 of 63 Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 AM

Hello. Can anyone tell me how to TURN OFF or make INVISIBLE the Bluetooth side on my sidebar? Someone's phone is keep connecting to the soundbar playing his music. I honestly don't know whether my soundbar connects to his phone or his phone ot my soundbar.

Please don't tell me Harman actually hard-locked BT in ON status always? That would be pathetic choice for such a firm.

How to resolve it?
post #57 of 63 Old 01-24-2018, 08:18 AM

I used to have the SB26 soundbar, but I switched to the Definitive Tech W Studio, so I am going from memory.

You cannot pair a device to the SB26 unless it is in Bluetooth pairing mode (press and hold the Bluetooth button until the LED flashes blue). Once a device is paired, it can connect again without re-pairing. To disconnect a Bluetooth device, press and hold the Bluetooth button again until the LED flashes (I can't remember whether or not the Bluetooth device has to be playing when you disconnect it).

Once the device is disconnected, it cannot pair again unless you put the SB26 back into pairing mode.

EDIT: On 2nd thought, I am pretty sure that the Bluetooth device has to be playing when you press and hold the Bluetooth button to disconnect it.

Last edited by Scandy; 01-24-2018 at 11:17 AM.
post #58 of 63 Old 02-11-2018, 09:55 AM

I am having the same problem as somebodysomewhere. I have run some tests and I can connect any random Bluetooth device to my SB26 and it'll pair even if the SB26 isn't in pairing mode. This happens even after I do a factory reset.

This is the test I ran:

1. SB26 is in standby mode
  2. Using an old iPad that I had laying around (which has never been paired with anything before) I turned on Bluetooth. SB26 instantly shows up as available.
  3. From the iPad I connect to the SB26. It connects successfully without any prompting.
  4. Play music from my iPad. It wakes up my SB26 and starts filling up the room with sound.
If anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve this I'm all ears. Like I said, I already tried the factory reset. I also checked the firmware and it said version 25.
post #59 of 63 Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 AM

SB26 OSD, Remote and Auto turn on: with Sony Bravia XBR 65X850C

I just bought and connected the SB26 (Firmware Update 25) to my TV via HDMI TV port on SB26 TO HDMI ARC port 4 on my TV (Sony XBR 65X850C android tv)

I get the sound on the sound bar fine (YouTube, Netflix etc) and it also turns off when I tun off the TV as expected.

But I have the following issues/concerns

1. The sound bar doesn't automatically turn on when I turn on the TV. Is there a setting that I am missing?
2. The OSD display doesn't work with this set up, so I have no idea what the sound levels are at. Is there another firmware update to fix this?
3. The remote has to be like 2 inches away (defeats the purpose) for it to work. Can SB26 be programmed with a logitech or similar universal remote? The learning mode section in the manual doesn't mention the input change buttons or base volume controls.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
post #60 of 63 Old 09-02-2019, 06:23 PM

SB26 - issues

Hi, hope some folks still look at this...

I just purchased a hk sb26 and I am having a few tiny hiccups.

I have the hdmi cable plugged in hmdi tv and in my hdmi ARC on my tv. That being said, I cannot change the volume on my tv, although I do get an animation that the volume is being changed, the volume doesn’t...

Also, every once and then, the soundbar just switches from hdmi tv to hdmi 1 or 2... it’s very annoying.

Any idea how I can resolve this? I have the latest firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Harman Kardon Sb26 Advanced Soundbar With Bluetooth And Powered Wireless Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page